The Comic Book Thread

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

The Comic Book Thread

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:06 pm

I was inspired to make this thread by the fact that I just checked out a few of the classic Adventures of Tintin books from the library (I also saw they had some other classic comics: The Spirit, Pogo, and Krazy Kat - will have to check those out eventually!).

I'm not terribly partial to your mainstream comic books (which suffer from the "too many cooks" princple, imo), neither am I an avid reader in the alternative comics (comix?) scene. What I am mainly a fan of is creator owned books that (again, IMO) are for all audiences, stuff like Mike Mignola's Hellboy and BPRD, Eric Powell's The Goon, Paul Chadwick's Concrete, and (my current favorite) Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo.

My favorite newspaper strip is the classic Calvin and Hobbes, and as for Marvel and DC, well, I got the complete Alan Moore Swamp Thing last Christmas and thought it was fantastic.

So what comics do you guys read? Favorite characters, ect.?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Mac » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:48 pm

The only interesting writer currently in the business is Grant Morrison, for my money. Frank Miller is now a hack, Alan Moore hates the medium, and Gaiman primarily writes novels now. People seem to be in love with Geoff Johns, but from what I've seen, he just writes the same generic superhero stuff that has watered down the comic book industry for years. Marvel literally has nothing to contribute anymore, their last interesting series was NEW X-MEN!

If you like creator-controlled comics, you might want to check out SCOTT PILGRIM.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:44 pm

Comics I currently read/collect:

Jonah Hex
Grimm's Fairy Tales
GFT Wonderland series
GFT Neverland series
Flash Rebirth series
The First Wave
The Return of Bruce Wayne

Graphin Novel form:

Green Lantern (current series)
Classic GI Joe
Dr Kain
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Jon Leo » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:59 am

I buy way to many comics per month, nearly all of it super-hero related. My pull list as it stands right now:

Batman and Robin
Green Lantern
The Flash
Brightest Day
Batman
The Return of Bruce Wayne
Secret Six
Invincible Iron Man
Green Lantern Corps.
Jonah Hex
The Brave and the Bold
Daredevil
Justice Society of America
Justice League of America
Sweet Tooth
Supergirl
Superman
Wonder Woman
Birds of Prey
R.E.B.E.L.S.
Booster Gold
Green Arrow
Justice League: Generation Lost
Adventure Comics
Legion of Super-Heroes
Fantastic Four
Joe the Barbarian
Jon Leo
Little Godzilla

Postby Reaper G » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:25 am

I've never really been a comic book fan -- everything I know about Batman, Superman, Spidey etc. come from the TV and movie adaptations, along with posts I've read from those more knowledgeble about the subject. That said, I do have "The Dark Knight Returns" and "Watchmen" and those are awesome works of literature.

As for newspaper comics, "Bloom County" and "Calvin & Hobbes" are my all-time #1 and 2, and "Pearls Before Swine" is my current fave (though there's not a lot of good strips these days).
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:20 am

I read stuff here and there
I generally dig
Amazing Spider-Man
Anything Deadpool
Moon Knight
IDW Transformers
IDW G.I. Joe
Hellboy
Spawn (haven't read this in years though)
Ultimate Marvel Stuff
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby heroforhirerob » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:51 pm

Well..these days I collect the trade paperbacks and such in order to save myself from wasting money on crap stories. That said...I have many trades. What do I like currently...?

Current Green Lantern stuff is good.
Thor isn't too bad

That's about it really...but stuff worth checking out...

Watchmen(damn the piss poor movie..you haven't experienced this story until you've read it)
Green Lantern(pretty much anything from Sinestro Corps Wars on)
Submariner Revolution(hell of an ending)
Essential Series...too many to list, but these are the classic stores...and still much better than most work of recent years...especially good are early Fantastic Four, Avengers, and Spider-man. Also..Uncanny X-men..the volume showcasing issues 120-144....probably the best stories ever written about the X-men..period.
heroforhirerob
Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:27 pm

Read Watchmen, love it, but I think the movie is better.
Dr Kain
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:44 pm

Not really big into comics that much any more but I do enjoy

-Spiderman
-Aliens, AvP, and the Predator series.
-Occasional X-Men title
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:46 pm

I've never been much of a comic book reader. I read the odd Batman or Spiderman as a kid & some Star Wars in the mid 90's but that's about it. I was, however, a DIEHARD Batman fan growing up, it's just I was a fan of the 60's tv series, the '89 movie &, later, the Animated Series.

But with Nolan's Batman films I was inspired to go check out some of the stuff that inspired/was referenced for his films as they were so freaking good.

I've read The Long Halloween & Dark Victory & the first two volumes of The Batman Chronicles & loved all of them. I really really like the early stories from the 40's & feel that Chris Nolan & his peers really seem to understand the underlying things that Bob Kane was going for with the character, which is why the new films work so well.

I've also been reading the first volume of the Iniana Jones Omnibus as well as the Marvel Essential Godzilla.

It's funny that while I've always loved superheroes, scifi, & all the fantastic things that comic books are about, I never really got into actually reading comics until my mid 20's just a couple years ago. I think the lack of a single decent comicbook store where I grew up played some part in that, but now I live in a city that has TONS of comic shops & even a decent sized annual comic convention which has prompted me to have more interest than I did in the past.

I'll probably never be a subscriber or diehard collector/reader but I do enjoy picking & choosing what are widely considered the best stories of the characters I'm interested in, as well as a few guilty pleasures (like the comic where Boba Fett fights Darth Vader...) to while away a rainy day.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:40 pm

I get the trades of the current Hulk series and Green Lantern Corps,I'm probably going to get back into the Gurren Lagann manga and Pumpkin Scissors,but I haven't read either in awhile.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

gave up

Postby Xenorama » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:55 pm

I stopped buying and reading comics after the Avengers/JLA crossover- best story and art ever- as how could it be topped.

now I buy the Essentials and Showcase Presents, so I can read stuff that's far too expensive to buy as back issues now.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:30 pm

at one point in college i think i read the first 10 or so EVER spider-man comics and that honestly is about all the comic reading I've EVER done...

i'm kinda into too much other stuff to really pick up and get into comics
Gills.

My Podcast:
http://secondrun.libsyn.com/

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:14 am

Dr Kain wrote:Read Watchmen, love it, but I think the movie is better.

Just for curiosity's sake, why do you think the movie is better?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Re: gave up

Postby kidnicky » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:50 pm

Xenorama wrote:I stopped buying and reading comics after the Avengers/JLA crossover- best story and art ever- as how could it be topped.

now I buy the Essentials and Showcase Presents, so I can read stuff that's far too expensive to buy as back issues now.

David

I buy a lot of those "phone books."
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:53 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:Read Watchmen, love it, but I think the movie is better.

Just for curiosity's sake, why do you think the movie is better?

I'm interested in the answer here too. Not being negative, just curious. I'm also a big fan of the movie.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:48 pm

One thing I can tell you is that I honestly liked the movie ending of Watchmen better than the comic...

I thought the comic ending was just a bit too far out there for a story that was as generally grounded as that of Watchmen...the movie ending was much more intelligent, imho...

the rest of it, i'd say the comic was probably better though
Gills.

My Podcast:
http://secondrun.libsyn.com/

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:20 am

^I really didn't like the Watchman movie. I think the director admirably tried to honor the source material but there are a million little things (and a few big ones) that really get in my craw. I suppose these are things that wouldn't matter if Watchmen was just a fun adventure book, but I think it stands as a great work of literature.

Oh, and everyone who has a slight interest in comics (or no interest whatsoever) should check out Usagi Yojimbo. I've really been digging into lately and I don't know of any ongoing comic book series that's better, and if you have an interest in Japanese culture it's a must have.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: gave up

Postby heroforhirerob » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:24 am

Xenorama wrote:I stopped buying and reading comics after the Avengers/JLA crossover- best story and art ever- as how could it be topped.

David

Yeah...Avengers/JLA is all kinds of awesome!!! Seriously, it is great. Written and drawn by men who obviously love the genre. What more can you ask for?
heroforhirerob
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:07 pm

I just realized instead of talking about some of my fav comics I could show you! Myspace Dark Horse Presents is a free, online anthology book and it is here:

http://www.myspace.com/darkhorsepresents

Issues 18 and 35 (the current issue) have Usagi Yojimbo stories

A really cool Mike Mignola Christmas story is in issue 5

Issue 6 is a four-part story featuring The Goon

Issues 8 and 9 contain a 2-part BPRD story

A Professor Broom (Hellboy's Dad) story is in issue 23
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:01 pm

The Long Halloween is definitely an incredible series. Same goes for HUSH, Dark Victory, War Games, and the 5 parter with the earthquake that hit Gotham. However, I have to say that Tales of the Demon is by far my favorite Batman GN, as Denny O'Neil is hands down the greatest Batman writer of all time, and Neal Adams is the greatest illustrator of all time. I recently picked up the Batman Illustrated by Neal Adams series and have loved it, especially Volume 3.

MekaGojira3k wrote:Just for curiosity's sake, why do you think the movie is better?

I just felt the final two chapters of the comic fell apart. They just did not feel conclusive and the ending was empty in my opinion. The movie's ending felt more powerful because Nixon spoke out about the horror of what happened in NYC, whereas I felt nothing with just the news reports talking about it ala the comics.
Dr Kain
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Neal Adams is absolutely the best comic book arist ever.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:04 pm

Paul Chadwick, one of my favorite comic book creators, has started updating his blog recently and has overhauled his website:

http://www.paulchadwick.net/

Among other projects he's bringing back his flagship character Concrete with a few short stories, a mini-series, and a prose novel. I'm really super excited!
:Big-th-up:
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby armandv » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:17 pm

Wonder Woman is getting a new look and direction. Who likes or don't likes?

http://armandsrancho.blogspot.com/2010/ ... ction.html
armandv
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:34 am

It does look a little too 90's, but I have no real preference as to how she looks as I'm not a big Wonder Woman fan.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Next

Return to General Discussion