Recently watched movies!

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Recently watched movies!

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:44 am

Teen Titans: The Judas Contract (2017) - I watched this animated DC film on Hulu. I've never seen any of the Teen Titans shows so this was really my introduction to the characters as a team. I liked it. The voice acting is good and the story plays well on its own. It's like a long episode of a DC animated series but with more graphic violence. I want to see Justice League vs. Teen Titans now.

Tomb Raider (2018) - Mediocre. Both the plot and the action start off well but they both just become more rudimentary and generic as the film goes on. It's one of those modern origin story reboots where they're clearly holding back and saving the big-scale ambition for the theoretical sequel, which WB might not even bother to make since this one only did $57 million in domestic ticket sales. Alicia Vikander is absolutely fantastic as Lara Croft. I wish WB would have skipped this cliched origin story and made a more ambitious movie the first time out.

Alpha (2018) - This was a lot of fun, a fast-paced survival tale.

Gwangi wrote:"Alpha". To my surprise, I rather enjoyed it! In my book, we haven't had a really good live-action prehistoric saga since "Quest for Fire". Emmerich's "10,000 B.C" from 2008, I thought could have been achievable, but that turned into silly comic-book fare. I don't think "Alpha" was as great as "Quest", but for the most part, I found myself really liking it.

With the exception of a buffalo hunting scene in the beginning (which really looked too digital), the CGI was kept at a minimum. Most of the prehistoric critters such as woolly mammoths and woolly rhinos were mostly seen in the background. It was the predators, like wolves, hyenas and a cave lion that took the forefront. The movie really belonged to both the young hunter and the wolf, who are forced to befriend each other under very harsh conditions. Amazing cinematography. It is a good bet, the filmmakers were trying to convey a sense of pureness, as we kept seeing many night scenes with a billion stars the naked eye could easily spot (no smog, no light pollution).

Using my Leonard Maltin rating systems, I gave this movie a good *** stars.

I liked it too. At an hour and a half, it doesn't try to be anything more than a thrilling saga of survival and friendship. The two leads really do carry the film.

O.Supreme wrote:X:Men Days of Future Past: The Rogue Cut This was something I always meant to see, but just forgot about, and figured was long OOP, but low and behold I just found it at the bargain bin at walmart! 8) DOFP is my 2nd favorite X film behind First Class, so it was interesting to see a slightly different version of it-Anyway, the things I liked- a lot of additional tiny details. Just single lines of dialogue scattered *here and there* throughout the whole filmed, added just the right amount of story element. For Example, when they go to recruit Quicksilver, his little sister looks up at Logan and says "I'm a princess", and Logan drops his shades and says "I'm the Wolverine", to which the mother tells her "Go upstairs and play with your sister" -Indicating there is in fact another sister, perhaps Peter's twin, which we never see...Also some scenes were reworked such ads when Hank/Beast asks about his own future, and Logan tells him he doesn't make it (a quite moment in the mansion as opposed to placed elsewhere in the theatrical version). Things I didn't like- -President Nixon dropping the f-bomb needlessly ,Blue CG *almost* sex scene, and ironically, the whole "Rogue" subplot to rescue her as a replacement for Kitty. In the theatrical version, Kitty endures through her injuries long enough tofinish the mission, which makes the stakes seem much higher, than just having Rogue step in as *relief pitcher* for Kitty 3/4 of the way through the film.

So basically in my mind, there is an *ideal perfect* cut of this film which keeps the theatrical version, but just adds all the smaller dialogue additions and scenes form the Rogue Cut, but keeps out any scene rearrangements, or Rogue herself, except for at the very end.

I also recently rewatched the Rogue cut of X-Men: Days of Future Past. While I do like a lot of the little character moments added throughout the Rogue cut, I still prefer the theatrical cut. It strikes an fittingly urgent pace at 2 hours and 11 minutes and it never drags, while the Rogue cut is 2 hours and 28 minutes and is worse for it.

What really makes the theatrical cut better is the streamlined middle section. After Charles uses Cerebro to talk to Raven when she's about to board a plane at the airport, Logan asks where she's going and Charles recalls seeing that her ticket said Washington DC. Then Hank takes them to his TV room where he's recording all three networks (and PBS) and he shows them a news broadcast about the upcoming event in DC where President Nixon plans to announce Trask's anti-mutant program. Then we cut to DC that same night and see Magneto breaking into the Smithsonian to retrieve his old helmet. The flow of these three scenes is consistent with the theatrical cut's brisk, urgent pacing.

In the Rogue cut, at the end of the extended Cerebro scene, Logan asks where Raven is and Charles just says she's boarding a plane and could be going anywhere, so Logan tells Charles to get some rest so he can track her in the morning. Then it cuts to later that night, a new scene in the mansion in which Hank asks Logan about whether he made it in the future (a conversation they have during the third act battle in the theatrical cut). We then see Hank in his TV room, which is the first time we're seeing his TV room in this cut, and Hank goes to the door to find that Raven has arrived there at the mansion! They quickly rekindle their attraction to each other in what goes from a weird furry makeout scene to melodramatic moping until Hank leaves the room. Then we get the entire additional future sequence with Charles, Magneto and Bobby rescuing Rogue from the mansion, intercut with the scene where Magneto retrieves his old helmet in the past. Then we cut back to the mansion in the past to see that after Hank lost his libido, he did not bother to wake up Charles to let him know that Raven was currently right there at the mansion but instead just let her roam the house by herself, and she of course takes the opportunity to destroy the Cerebro controls before departing. We cut back to the future as Magneto and Charles return to China with Rogue, who drains Kitty's power with a touch, knocking her out and taking her place keeping Logan's mind in his past self's body. Back in the past, we see that Hank has finally bothered to wake up Charles and Logan to reveal that Raven was just there and she destroyed Cerebro before leaving. Neither of them seem bothered by Hank's inexplicable behavior but it doesn't matter because Hank also suddenly remembers that he saw a TV news announcement about the upcoming DC event. Then it finally gets to the TV room scene where Hank shows them the news broadcast.

It's just unnecessary padding that turns the middle section of the movie into a slog and kills the urgency of the plot's momentum. For a story about a race against time to prevent a dystopian future, there's no reason to have the heroes pause to get a good night's sleep right when things aren't going their way. That whole alternate section of the movie is also plagued with gigantic gaps in logic. In addition to Hank's aforementioned behavior, what Raven does makes no sense. Instead of flying from the airport to DC, she goes straight to the mansion despite knowing that Charles wants to stop her from killing Trask, and she manages to avoid getting caught (thanks to Hank for some reason) and destroys Cerebro so Charles can't track her even though she's obviously going to DC to kill Trask, as they figure out anyway. Then there's the whole Rogue subplot itself which also makes no sense. Why would Bobby wait so long to tell the professor that Rogue was being held prisoner and experimented upon in his old mansion? How do they manage to get into the mansion and rescue Rogue without encountering a single Sentinel until they're on their way back out? How are they able to fly from China to New York and back all in the same night? How can Rogue siphon Kitty's powers without interrupting Logan's mental projection into the past? Side note: while cutting back and forth between Magneto in the past and the future is a cool concept, it falls flat because the scene in the future is done so poorly, with corny dialogue, terrible CGI and a bunch of masked extras as the scientists who run awkwardly out of the room.

Combine those huge gaps in character and story logic with the way the film's urgent pacing is ruined and I think the Rogue cut turns X-Men: Days of Future Past into a significantly worse movie. In its theatrical cut, I'd say it's not just one of the best X-Men films but one of the best comic-based films ever made, and I definitely wouldn't recommend that anybody watch the Rogue cut for their first viewing.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:11 am

Dr Kain wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:Did you forget Black Panther and Infinity War? Those are two of the best movies of the year.

Black Panther's not even in my top 20. REALLY bad effects (especially in the finale), took way too long to figure out where it was going, wasted a good Andy Serkis performance, extremely un-charismatic main character. It was "fine. Simultaneously a movie where I understand the hype and importance, and yet think is one of the most overrated things in a good long while. 3/5.

Infinity War is just outside my top 5. It's at like...6 or 7. When you REALLY sit back and think about it, it's certainly quite far from perfect. I loved it, so I don't want to belabor its faults, but yeah, it's not up to the level of Annihilation, Hereditary, or Incredibles 2...and I liked Upgrade and A Quiet Place more for being more unique.

And that's funny becasue everything you said how you feel abotu Black Panther is pretty much with how I feel about Annihilation.

I'm just amazed you hated BP that much as I think it may be the second best MCU film to date. It's the only one that has come close to matching The Winter Soldier.

3/5 = hate?
Nah.

I just didn't LOVE it. I liked it. Kinda. Had significant issues that stood out and smacked me in the face. I loved Michael B Jordan in it. Hm...that might have been the only thing I loved. Oh and Andy Serkis, despite my disappointment about him getting killed off. That performance was awesome. Maybe big wooly mountain man? He seemed cool? Movie felt EXTREMELY phoned-it.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby klen7 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:51 am

^ i just wished they reigned in the third act of these Marvel films, both GotG2 and Black Panther lost points for me by turning into a cartoon for the climax, which ultimately loses dramatic steam. Why have
Spoiler Below:
Killmonger and BP fight on futuristic CG traintracks? Thematically it would have made more sense to battle in the throne room, on the streets of Oakland or even just in the audience of the other Wakandans.
Any of those set pieces would have allowed them to still have a well choreographed finale without going so over the top that it divorces itself from the dramatic world building
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:15 am

Game Night - That was actually a lot of fun. Some of it was down right stupid, but it worked with how ridiculous it was. I'm going to give this one an enjoyable 8/10.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:21 pm

Solo - I saw this once in theaters and I thought it was okay but not great. Watched the Blu-ray the other night and I have to say, on my second viewing I really enjoyed it. It’s still a little slow to start, and the ending cameo is still incredibly stupid. But over all the film is quite fun. Han and Lando are both great fun (and I personally think they did a really nice job recasting these iconic characters), enfys nest is very cool and I hope we see more of her, and Chewbacca is flipping awesome. Really every moment Chewie is onscreen is pure gold.

I think the film’s biggest problem is it’s just not a story that really *needed* telling. But as a Star Wars fan who enjoys the occasional novel or comic book to have further adventures with my favorite characters, this felt like more Star Wars comfort food and I totally dig it.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:41 pm

Halloween 6 Producer's Cut - Terrible movie, but better than 5. 6/10.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers 78 - 9/10
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:59 pm

Friday the 13th Jason Takes a Cruise - Awful, just awful. 4/10
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:30 pm

I've been watching BUTTLOADS of TV lately...

Bobcat Goldthwait's Misfits and Monsters - This is a show on TruTV and you can stream the whole series by just googling it and going to the TruTV website. Each episode is only 20 minutes and there are only 8 of them...and that's maybe the biggest positive and only reason I'd even give it a light recommendation. There are two good episodes (one where a cartoon bear comes to life and another where a singer sold his soul to the devil) a few middling episodes, and then a few crap episodes. It's a VERY mixed bag. You could do worse...but I'd only recommend the bear episode as one to actively seek out.

Lost in Space - It got better as it went along. Better. It's mostly production value. The characters are never fully fleshed out all that great, and the story occasionally falls back into that trap of the first episode of just becoming ridiculous with "and then this problem and then that problem and then another problem". Overall, it was a perfectly cromulent show. Not really clamoring for another season though.

Channel Zero - It's an "anthology series" where each season is a story but the seasons don't connect or anything (so like, American Horror Story). Season 1 is called Candle Cove and personally, I'd skip it. Season 2 is No End House and it's a pretty cool haunted house thing. Season 3 is Butcher's Block with Rutger Hauer as a cannibalistic evangelical maniac. Need I say more about season 3? 6 episodes each season. I'd pretty highly recommend seasons 2 and 3, especially around this time of year, and season 4 premiers at the end of the month on SyFy with a 6-day marathon. I'll be tuning in for sure.

Penny Dreadful - Just starting this but....I love the Frankenstein and The Monster stuff and the rest of the show can go in the trash bin. Not feeling drawn to anything else here.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:15 am

Starting my Halloween viewing with the SIHSI ('Somehow I Haven't Seen It') classic, Re-Animator.

I remember in the early 2000s when there was quite a bit of controversy over fast zombies and whether they were truthful to the proper spirit of Romero zombies... and now that I watch more films from the 70s and 80s I see that there was absolutely no consistency with Romero zombies even after the tremendous success of Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead. The zombies here in Re-Animator are certainly different; animalistic and violent but not bitey.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:53 pm

lhb412 wrote:Starting my Halloween viewing with the SIHSI ('Somehow I Haven't Seen It') classic, Re-Animator.

I remember in the early 2000s when there was quite a bit of controversy over fast zombies and whether they were truthful to the proper spirit of Romero zombies... and now that I watch more films from the 70s and 80s I see that there was absolutely no consistency with Romero zombies even after the tremendous success of Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead. The zombies here in Re-Animator are certainly different; animalistic and violent but not bitey.

I wouldn't really describe the undead in Re-Animator as zombies. But, then, Romero wouldn't have described his "ghouls" as zombies, either. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:06 pm

^ I think 'ghouls' is a good catch-all term, as is the simple 'undead,' but I think trying to put the zombie genie back in the bottle is hopeless. I'd like for the term to only refer to proper, voodoo zombies.

Also: lotta great performances in Re-Animator. Forgot to mention that!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:15 pm

lhb412 wrote:Also: lotta great performances in Re-Animator. Forgot to mention that!

Great performances, and also some wonderfully dynamic and economical blocking. There's a really good deleted scene (which for years I knew as part of the movie, because it was in the unapproved Blockbuster Video R-rated cut) where West and Meg are kind of fighting for Dan's soul; Dan is on frame right, and West and Meg keep edging each other out competing for central position on screen.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:20 am

It always disappointed me that they never did the WWI section of The Reanimator in the movies. That was my favorite segment of the book.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:16 am

I like all three Re-Animator movies. Beyond just finally hit blu this year. It's something I'm definitely gonna get when I get a chance (I know it's out already but it's a Vestron release which means it ain't cheap).
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:18 pm

Finally saw Ant-Man & The Wasp. It was a fun film to be sure, lots of laughs, but kind of like GotG 2, pretty forgettable. Admittedly it has been 6 days since I saw it, but for the life of me, I cannot tell you why Mike Pena or his cohorts were in the movie. Other than "The Ghost", I cant tell you who any of the other antagonists were. I knew about the Egghead east Egg (man that sounds weird) going in, so that resonates for some reason. Basically Hank Pym was a jerk to everyone he ever worked with, so they are all out to get him. Scott is his lovably goofy self, and there's an ant with a house arrest bracelet...yeah, I'll have to buy this on Blu ray when it goes on sale and watch it a few more times. I know I laughed, but cant remember why...
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:27 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:I like all three Re-Animator movies. Beyond just finally hit blu this year. It's something I'm definitely gonna get when I get a chance (I know it's out already but it's a Vestron release which means it ain't cheap).

The first is one of my all-time favorites. The second isn't in that league, but it's still a ton of fun - I used to use samples from it when I made mix CDs, and I strung a couple of West's short monologues together into one long one for my college acting class.

I've only seen Beyond once. I was not a fan. The absence of Dan really hurt it for me, and overall the non-Combs cast just didn't have the charm of those in the first two flicks. I would be willing to give it another chance at some point, but there's likely always gonna be something else I'll prioritize above it.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:39 pm

Ant-Man 2 suffered from having too many antagonists. You had Ghost, you had the gangsters, and then the FBI. It should have focused on just one of them.

Anyway,

The Omega Man - A good movie despite it not even trying to adapt the book one bit. I don't even know why they bothered to even credit him when it could have just been any post-apocalyptic plot out there. Neverthless, Heston is brillaint in his performance (as he always is) from the quips when he is pretending to be talking to someone to the moments when he flat out admits to be talking to himself. It is a good time, but it does slow down quite a bit in the middle and some parts of the story just don't make a lick of sense. A 7/10.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:14 pm

War for the Planet of the Apes - I wanted to see this in theaters but it just never worked out. But WOW. What an incredible movie. I don’t know why it surprised me since it is literally (correct usage of that word!) right there in the title, but this is truly a war movie. And like all good war movies, it’s really an anti war movie. It doesn’t pull any punches and it does a masterful job showing the horror, brutality, and utter loss and devastation that is war. Any victories achieved come at tremendous, near-immeasurable loss.

It’s also a beautiful film. The locations, cinematography, lighting, staging, everything. It’s gorgeous. And that includes the effects. Holy carp the special effects! Mind blowing cgi work here. The apes looked like real creatures. Completely convincing.

The writing, casting, and acting are also superb. I mean A-level, Oscar-winning superb. (Did this film win any oscars? It should have. And if it was only up for SFX the academy should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.) Woody Harrelson and Andy Serkis deliver possibly (probably?) the best performances of their careers here. Flipping fantastic.

I did have one small gripe in that during battles Caesar seemed a bit unbelievably impervious. How many times can you stand within the blast cloud of a grenade, missle, etc. and come out unscathed? They definitely stretched my suspension of disbelief a bit too far a few times with stuff like that.

But even so, that’s a minor complaint. This is easily the best film of 2017. Maybe not my personal favorite (it is an emotionally-challenging war film that ends on a very bittersweet note, after all), but easily the best.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:25 pm

Murder Party - I have wanted to see this for a long time, and now its on Netflix. I really enjoyed the dark humor and expect this will make its way into my annual Halloween viewing in years to come. It's also fascinating to see this is where both Jeremy Saulnier (Blue Ruin, Green Room) and Macon Blair (I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore) got their starts. In a lot of ways this movie brings me back to the 90s when indies were blowing up big like Reservoir Dogs or El Mariachi, and for me thats a good thing

Smallfoot - Theres a twist in the middle of this movie that is way better than the movie deserves, but as a kids film it doesn't capitalize on it much. Bonus points for the twist and generally being subversive, which when you factor in the awkward musical numbers drops this back into the territory of movies like Storks

Animal World - I had actually seen the previous live action adaption of Kaiji the Gambler years ago - this director thought that a movie about high stakes card counting wouldn't be interesting enough so he added insane action sequences of a clown murdering monsters throughout the film... kind of like Suckerpunch, but not awful. It's hard to say how i'd judge this movie if I hadnt seen Kaiji before but its interesting enough that its worth a watch if you are in the mood for something different. Also Michael Douglas is in it.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:09 pm

... there's a Kaji movie with Michael Douglas in it?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:58 pm

Dr Terror's House of Horrors - A really enjoyable anthology film that has a Tales from the Crypt feel despite not being Tales from the Crypt. All of the actors do a great job and as I have said before, god damn Donald Sutherland looked like Keifer when he was young (obviously it's the opposite). My favorite story is Voodoo. Overall, a great movie, though it does have a couple slow moving parts. An 8/10.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:22 pm

The Strangers 2 - I kind of liked the first one that came out ten years ago, so I was kind of hoping this would be good too. Granted, the first one was not the greatest horror movie ever, but it did have some really good moments to it and an interesting idea. This, however, is just a complete waste of time. No, it isn't down right terrible, but it has got to be one of the longest 77 minute movies (before credits) I have ever sat through. It took FOREVER for something to happen. Now that could have been fine as that meant we should have grown to like the characters. Unfortunately, the family was not even remotely interesting and their deaths just felt uninspiring. Also, the killers have no backstory, no development at all, which means this movie pretty much just copies its idea from the first film and does nothing to expand on it. Though, I do remember the killers at least being interesting. None of that is here. I guess if there is anything positive to say about it it is that it did have some atmospheric scenes thanks to the giant trailer park/camp/resort/whatever it was. I give it a 4/10.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:02 am

Abominable Dr Phibes - Even better than the first time I watched it. If I have any complaints it's really just that it does move at a slow pace, but other than that, it's fantastic. 10/10.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:13 am

Getting my horror movie viewing on in earnest by watching Joe Bob Briggs new movie hosting show on Shudder. First up is Tourist Trap, a 1979 movie that combines the slasher, haunted wax museum, and Carrie-style psychic powers movie into one movie. It stars former cowboy star (who I'm actually kind of named after) Chuck Connors in a really terrific horror performance. I mean, it's a shame he didn't do a bunch more horror films, he's great!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:31 am

Penny Dreadful - Just starting this but....I love the Frankenstein and The Monster stuff and the rest of the show can go in the trash bin. Not feeling drawn to anything else here.

And that held true throughout the show...even getting WORSE with some parts. The Dorian Gray stuff is AWFUL.

Ash vs Evil Dead Season 3 - Overall another good season from the show that gave new life to the best horror comedy franchise ever. It hits some stumbling blocks along the way here and there, and sometimes hits "been there, done that" territory, but it further cements The Evil Dead as the only franchise where I enjoy every single entry to date. That said, as much as the concept of the show itself isn't really played out or anything, with all the BTS drama and the way the series was headed, you could see some of the writing on the wall, and it's probably for the best that the show was canceled. We're missing a final coda for Kelly, Pablo, and Brandy, but that's forgivable because they were leaving themselves open for a fourth season, and the ending for Ash is perfectly Evil Dead.

For those who don't know, about the BTS issues...here's a quick (probably over-simplified) rundown:
-Craig DiGregorio was the showrunner for seasons 1 and 2
-Sam and Ivan Raimi helped develop the show but liked where DiGregorio was taking it
-Rob Tapert, producer of the original films and executive producer of AvED did not.
-Rob Tapert had Starz's ear
-Tapert went to Starz and basically told them that DiGregorio was gonna ruin their Evil Dead show.
-Starz stepped in and put a stop to a lot of DiGregorio's ideas to push the series in a new direction (he wanted to get rid of the cabin, and progress Ash as a character)
-DiGregorio left the show as Tapert and Starz forced a lot of things on him in the final 2.5 episodes of Season 2 that he didn't want to do and he didn't like the way the show was headed.
-Rob Tapert wound up kinda taking over the show as a major production voice and even told Sam Raimi to stop showing up on set and stopped taking his input
-Bruce Campbell hated working on Season 3
-Some of DiGregorio's ideas were used anyway, because Tapert, et al who were left in charge didn't really have any ideas of their own

So season 3 ends up having a lot of "it's EVIL DEAD" stuff in it that just retreads old ground (I really massively enjoy that ground, so I didn't mind TOO much), and at times almost writing itself into corners because the new production team didn't have a strong vision of their own. With Campbell's comments and the way Season 3 ended it's easy to imagine a 4th could have been "final season of Scrubs" type stuff where the main character only shows up in occasional episodes, and that would have been a travesty...it's also pretty easy to imagine a lot of the show's pieces that weren't working anymore would have gotten even more center-stage because most of those things were Tapert's ideas (I love Lucy Lawless, and she's great in this series, but her character was played out...but she's Tapert's wife so she would have been back).
In that light, I'm glad we got 30 great episodes of a series to extend the life of an awesome franchise and that the show ended before it ever got as bad as I think it maybe could have gotten given what was lurking behind the scenes.

I think at this point, the only way we'll get any more Ash Williams in Evil Dead would be a final swan song for Sam Raimi with the franchise, and Bruce passing the torch to someone else entirely because it sounds like Campbell is pretty done with it, but I bet if Sam said, "Hey I want this to go out my way, whattya say?" Bruce would answer the call.

Castle Rock - 4 episodes in and it is NOT grabbing me. Very disappointing thus far.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion