Recently watched movies!

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby lhb412 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:23 pm

^Wheras Frill-day makes it seem like a pile of camp!

*Ba-doom-tish!*
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:54 pm

Weeeeaaaak....lol

Nice try though..in my head all I heard was crickets lol

Ponyo and District 9 this weekend!! Gonna be a whole lot of fun!
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Destroysall » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:15 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
Reaper G wrote:Slumdog Millionaire

didn't do anything for me...how about you?

I wouldn't say much about the movie myself, but being part Indian, it did make me proud to see it become extremely popular and even go far as being an academy-award winner.
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby The Dark Uniter » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:46 pm

I love Slumdog Millionaire. Its one of my favorites. Its also my first Indian movie I've watched. :)
Formerly known as TylerPreston
The Dark Uniter
Godzilla Jr.

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:12 pm

Cannibal Holocaust - okay, so I'd heard about the infamy of this movie, and even read about most of what I was about to experience, but NOTHING save for an actual snuff film could have come CLOSE to preparing me for this movie...

nothing...

the story, such as it is for those who havent seen it, is that 4 filmakers were lost in the amazonian jungle while filming a documentary about the cannibal tribe, the Yanomanos who live there...months later, a Dr. Monroe arrives in the jungle to try to find the group, he encounters various tribes along the way, with many of them being overly suspicious of the white men (and we'll see why later) and ultimately, after some cannibalism, and bonding (through cannbialism) with the tribe, the Dr. and his small team are able to obtain the footage of the documentarians.

he returns to NY to review the footage, as the company that funded the original crew is still hoping to cash in on it and make some money. along the way, we are subject to some of WHY the tribes were suspicious of whites. Turns out the film crew weren't satisfied with straight documentary, and if they found something not quite 'dramatic' enough, they'd create some drama. they shoot a man in the leg, knowing he'll return to his village, and knowing that if he were at full strength, they'd never find him and there, they hope to film a massacre of the tribe by one of the other tribes. it doesn't happen on its own, so they gather a group of the people into a hut and burn it to the ground claiming the other tribe responsible.
when they first encounter the other tribe, they take turns raping her and then use the footage of her tribe killing her for being impure as part of their documentary. as the documentary crew begins being hunted and killed, and raped and dismembered and eaten, the director unscrupulously continues filming, still hoping to make a name for himself...by the time the cannibals get to him, we are rooting for them to win after all the havoc these 4 people caused and all the atrocities they comitted...

not only is there more human gore than you can shake a stick at, and much of it filmed in a way that is so realistic (reportedly, italian censorship crews had to review the footage several times to make sure the footage was just special effects and not actual snuff) that it's unbelievably gut-wrenching, but the score is so appropriate that it becomes all the more unnerving...

worst though (and mind you i am NO animal activist) 6 (technically 7 due to a re-shoot) animals are ACTUALLY killed on-camera...the turtle scene in particular is gruesome and disturbing, possibly beyond anything i've ever seen...

probably the most disturbing thing about this movie, however, is that it's filmakers (the real director, not the filmaker of the documentary-within-the-film) REALLY seem to know what they're doing and have a message they're trying to deliver....they are able to effectively negate most of the poor acting by showing us that the documentarians are so nihilistic (the doc-director is actually smiling with glee when they come across the impaled body of the girl they raped, since it will be just awesome for his film), and so all of their 'oh this is just horrible' stuff gets away with being poorly acted...and the parallels drawn between NYC/corporate/capitalistic 'cannibalism' and actual factual cannibalism are done just right (until the very very very very end when it's unnecessarily explicitly stated) that it lets you hear an actual message loud and clear.

i really wish i could un-watch this movie and i have no desire to ever watch it again, not even to freak the bejesus out of someone as a cruel prank...

mission accomplished, i suppose...
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Destroysall » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:24 pm

I feel sorry for you jellydonut25, I saw the DVD at an electronic store, and I do not wish to see that at all. I've read about it, and that's as far as I'm going.
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:56 am

Porco Rosso

Perhaps my all-time favorite movie.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:18 pm

Princess Mononoke
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:36 pm

Watched 'The Road Virus Heads North' from Nightmares and Dreamscapes

meh, the other 4 are all pretty much better - this was too 'cool scary' and just didn't WORK for me...
i thought Tom Berenger was pretty terrible, too, like he didn't at all understand why this was supposed to be scary in the first place
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Dagarah72 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:22 pm

Me and my friend did tequila shots this weekend and watched Killers From Space, the old sci-fi Peter Graves flick about the aliens with bulging eyes. Funny stuff, especially the "giant" animals.

Ricky
Dagarah72
Godzilla

Postby Reaper G » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:48 am

Destroysall wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:

I wouldn't say much about the movie myself, but being part Indian, it did make me proud to see it become extremely popular and even go far as being an academy-award winner.

I thought it was a nice underdog story a la "Rocky". That girl was beautiful, and I loved the actor who played the host -- I can picture him as a Bond villain, or something along those lines.

Next time I tell someone to go jump in a lake, it can be the one the little boy jumped into. :D
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:51 am

Spirited Away
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Destroysall » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:13 pm

Reaper G wrote:
Destroysall wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:

I thought it was a nice underdog story a la "Rocky". That girl was beautiful, and I loved the actor who played the host -- I can picture him as a Bond villain, or something along those lines.

Next time I tell someone to go jump in a lake, it can be the one the little boy jumped into. :D

The host of the show's name is Anil Kapoor and he is a very popular actor in India and has starred in many Bollywood films. I grew up watching Bollywood movies so Slumdog Millionaire wasn't new for me in terms of Indian movie. :lol: :D
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:31 pm

dont get me wrong (on slumdog) the story was good, the acting was fine, and the production was great, but i dunno...it just didnt DO anything for me - other than gross me out with the whole poop-covered thing
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Destroysall » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:34 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:dont get me wrong (on slumdog) the story was good, the acting was fine, and the production was great, but i dunno...it just didnt DO anything for me - other than gross me out with the whole poop-covered thing

It all good! :D
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby The Dark Uniter » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:50 pm

Recently watched the original Terminator. Excellent movie.
The Dark Uniter
Godzilla Jr.

Postby lhb412 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:14 am

Howl's Moving Castle
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby heroforhirerob » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:49 am

Valeri and Her Week of Wonders
heroforhirerob
Godzilla

Postby Reaper G » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:37 am

Return of Daimajin
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Dark Uniter » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:36 pm

Yesterday, I've seen Mothra vs Godzilla and today I watched EuroTrip and All Monsters Attack.
The Dark Uniter
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Tiny Gigan » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:52 pm

I'm currently working my way through my DeepDiscount summer sale order. Watched Phantasm III and IV last night. I get a kick out of those movies, but they honestly don't make a whole of sense.
Tiny Gigan
Godzilla Jr.

Postby lhb412 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:48 pm

Ponyo!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Dark Uniter » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:11 am

I know in my other post I said I hated the Lords of the Ring movies. Last night I decided to watch the movie series again starting with Fellowship of the Ring and man the movie was epic. Truely a masterpiece.
Last edited by The Dark Uniter on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Uniter
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Green Dragon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:31 pm

Did you watch the extended version? They're much longer, but everything seems to fit together better in them.
www.facebook.com/wtodd

"...Tibby, I love you my fine little fella, even though you gave the whole family salmonella..."
Green Dragon
Godzilla

Postby The Dark Uniter » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:35 pm

Nope, I only seen the original version, not the extended cut.
The Dark Uniter
Godzilla Jr.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion