Recently watched movies!

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby canofhumdingers » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:48 am

saw the new harry potter movie today. This series just keeps getting better. I didn't care for the first one when i first saw it, but my wife really liked it & we've seen each one since & I've got to say that I really like them over all. The last three are absolutely fantastic. The people behind these films actually understand that strong likeable characters put into engaging situations (whether it's fighting evil wizards or just struggling to grow from children into mature adults) is what makes for good cinema! You can't rely on action and CGI alone if you want to make films that hold up for more than a release weekend.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:24 pm

Paul Blart: Mall Cop - ehhh. Not as funny as I'd hoped it would be, but about as funny as I thought it would be, if that makes sense

Idiocracy - read above, but i think a bit funnier

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - zzzzzzz...a long title for a LONG movie. had to quit on it after 2 hours and come back later...
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:06 pm

The Seventh Seal

Classic Sweedish film about a Knight who challenges Death to a game of chess during the plague. Asks serious questions about death and oblivion, but offers up some hope about what life should be spent doing in the first place. Favorite scene: an actor hiding in a tree fruitlessly negotiating with Death, who's at the bottom with a saw.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:22 pm

Saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for the first time.
Thoroughly enjoyed it, and I paid like 3.00 at Big Lots for
it, so huzzah for me.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:20 pm

The Hurt Locker... holy hell, see this if you like your suspenseful movies. It's about an EOD squad in Iraq that's shot in a somewhat gorilla-style manner. Honestly one of the best war movies I have seen, and yes I am comparing it to Saving Private Ryan. I can't believe this film slipped in under my radar last year, but now it's being shown in some theaters. There's a DVD screener out there on the internet if you can't find it in a theater.
-Mike
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:37 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:Saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for the first time.
Thoroughly enjoyed it, and I paid like 3.00 at Big Lots for
it, so huzzah for me.

Gotta love those $3 movies at Big Lots...I recently got the Nightmares and Dreamscapes DVDs there for 3 bucks, sometimes you can luck out too and get stuff for $1.50

EDIT: Watched a bit of Watchmen (about an hour and a half) from a DVD screener since I never got around to seeing it in theaters and I'm debating on buy vs. dont buy...not bad, but still not sure if i think it's worth buying...
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Brick Side » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:17 pm

Crocodile Dundee 2. Love those movies! Well, the first two anyway.
-Mike
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby The Dark Uniter » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:39 am

canofhumdingers wrote:saw the new harry potter movie today. This series just keeps getting better. I didn't care for the first one when i first saw it, but my wife really liked it & we've seen each one since & I've got to say that I really like them over all. The last three are absolutely fantastic. The people behind these films actually understand that strong likeable characters put into engaging situations (whether it's fighting evil wizards or just struggling to grow from children into mature adults) is what makes for good cinema! You can't rely on action and CGI alone if you want to make films that hold up for more than a release weekend.
I too saw Harry Potter and the Half Prince on the opening day. I must say that its the best in the series so far. Great mixture of character development, dark humor and overall tone.
The Dark Uniter
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Daimajin » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:57 pm

On my Shinobi kick!!

recently...

Revenge Of The Ninja
Castle Of Owls
The Third Ninja
Daimajin
Little Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:58 pm

Kwaidan
Shadow of the Thin Man
Stalag 17
Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast (again)
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Mysterio » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:23 pm

Hitchcock's "Rope" and "Shadow of a Doubt", and the original "Nightstalker" movie with Darren "Fra-gi-le... it must be Italian" McGavin.
Mysterio
Godzilla

Postby The Dark Uniter » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:16 pm

Yesterday, I've seen this European Horror movie called The Cemetery Man. It was very pretty interesting since I never seen Euro-Horror movie before.
Last edited by The Dark Uniter on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as TylerPreston
The Dark Uniter
Godzilla Jr.

Postby lhb412 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:40 pm

Rashomon

Got this as a part of my spending spree due to the Criterion sale at Barnes and Noble (if you want to take advantage do so by this Sunday). It is one of Kurosawa's several masterpieces and takes a rather simple idea (a horrible incident is related by four different witnesses - all give entirely different descriptions) and developes it probably as good as is possible delving into the nature of truth and a the human soul.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Dark Uniter » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:13 pm

Oh, I forgot to menton I've watched Army of Darkness 2 days ago. A True Cult Classic! :D
The Dark Uniter
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Mysterio » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:25 pm

The Dark Uniter wrote:Yesterday, I've seen this European Horror movie called The Chementry Man. It was very pretty interesting since I never seen Euro-Horror movie before.

You mean Cemetery Man?
Mysterio
Godzilla

Postby The Dark Uniter » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:07 pm

Yes, I meant that. Going to edit that.....
The Dark Uniter
Godzilla Jr.

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:28 pm

Not really a movie, but I just watched "Battleground" "Crouch End" and "Umney's Last Case" from the Nightmares and Dreamscapes series.

Battleground was awesome. Not forcing any dialogue in really helped the realism, and keep a feel for the story (most people, especially trained assassins, wouldn't talk to themselves while they were being attacked). Very good take on the story.

Crouch End was not disappointing, because I wasn't expecting much, but it wasn't good. It starts off VERY promising, and even has a couple of REALLY good moments (when the woman gets 'attacked' while under the train bridge, or when the guy first gets attacked are pretty awesome moments), but ultimately, it falls flat. Perhaps too ambitious a story to try to adapt in a made for tv type of setting due to its connection to Cthulu mythos...

Umney's Last Case was stellar, or maybe I just thought so because I was expecting so little. The original story, as written does not, imho, lend itself to adaptation very well, but they pulled it off and managed to (again, imho) IMPROVE on the original story with the things that were added.

probably gonna watch disc 2 sometime over the next couple of days
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Destroysall » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:48 am

I just saw the new Harry Potter movie, not a big fan of the series, but it was alright, not great, not bad, but alright. Not something I think I would've really gone crazy for. Only saw it because it was my brother's birthday today.
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:39 pm

Double Indemnity
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby heroforhirerob » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:42 pm

Role Models(Pretty good...and hilarious if you know any LARPers...I do.)

Bolt(Cute...but not the best animated fetaure I've seen recently)

Kung Fu Panda(Now this IS the best animated feature I've seen recently...hilarious....and yet respectful to the martial arts films it's clearly paying homage to...very good.)
heroforhirerob
Godzilla

Postby Destroysall » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:31 am

heroforhirerob wrote:Role Models(Pretty good...and hilarious if you know any LARPers...I do.)

Bolt(Cute...but not the best animated fetaure I've seen recently)

Kung Fu Panda(Now this IS the best animated feature I've seen recently...hilarious....and yet respectful to the martial arts films it's clearly paying homage to...very good.)

Next to Kung Fu Panda, I'd also add Up!, which is a really good film!
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby mkhz » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:48 am

G-Force in 3D. Enjoyed it. I think you have to like Guinea Pigs to see this.
mkhz
Godzillasaurus

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:49 am

heroforhirerob wrote:Role Models(Pretty good...and hilarious if you know any LARPers...I do.)

Role Models was funny. Not the best, but definitely better than some
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby The Dark Uniter » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:01 am

Last night on ABC Family, I saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Really good film.
The Dark Uniter
Godzilla Jr.

Postby The Dark Uniter » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:51 pm

Right now, I finish watching the Godzilla classic, Invasion of Astro Monster in its original Japanese cut from the Classic Media DVD. Really good, its one of the most underrated in the Showa Era.
The Dark Uniter
Godzilla Jr.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion