Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Daimajin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:15 pm

Spiderman II
Godzilla vs Megalon :)
Daimajin
Little Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:17 am

Man on Fire - Long overdue that I see this one. It was excellent. I've had it burned for YEARS and just watched it a few days ago. Though I have to admit, I felt like Taken was a bit of a better play on the same idea since I felt like this movie coulda been a solid 20 minutes shorter.

Fired Up - Really stupid, but IMHO really funny too. Woulda liked to have seen an unrated version, but like I said, I'm always game for a really dumb comedy, as long as the comedy itself is funny. This was. It was great because you definitely had the feeling like the film makers KNEW that all their actors were too old to be playing high school students but made that a part of the joke...hard to explain i guess but I thought it was hilarious
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Reaper G » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:13 pm

Some things I saw at G-FEST:

GMK: My favorite of the Millenium series

The Mysterians: Nice, but creaky

Godzilla vs. the Thing: Need I say more?

Monster X Strikes Back: I liked it more than I thought I would.

The Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon: A nice surprise on G-FEST TV. It's funny seeing anime before it became, well, anime.
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Daimajin » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:54 pm

The Witches

&

Pet Semetary .....one of my favorite King adaptations, even though the book is better! still this film has always creeped me out, even to this day! not to mention the wonderful performance by Fred Gwynne
Daimajin
Little Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:04 pm

^The Ramones song is great.

I just watched all of MST3K Volume XV: The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy, The Girl in Lovers Lane, Zombie Nightmare, and Racket Girls.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Daimajin » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:32 am

lhb412 wrote:^The Ramones song is great.

Most definitely, great song by a great band, have that on vinyl!!
Daimajin
Little Godzilla

Postby Reaper G » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:27 am

"Samurai Commando 1549"

I stumbled upon this at the nearby used record shop under the title "Time Slip 1549". A remake of the original "Time Slip" a.k.a. "G.I. Samurai", Chairman Kaga replaces Sonny Chiba as the time-travelling colonel who uses modern technology to set himself up as a warlord in the Warring States era. Of course, this plays havoc on the present, so another platoon goes back in time to stop him; the story mainly focuses on them this time.

Directed by Masaaki Tezuka, it has a little less action than the original but is more thoughtful. Good flick, but I wasn't quite blown away. Three stars.
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:18 am

Daimajin wrote:Pet Semetary .....one of my favorite King adaptations, even though the book is better! still this film has always creeped me out, even to this day! not to mention the wonderful performance by Fred Gwynne

IMHO though definitely one where the setting and mood have to be right...

I watched this once in the middle of the day on a weekend when I kinda had nothing better to do and it sucked compared to all the other times I've seen it late at night, with all the lights off

No matter what though the line: "now I want to play wif yoooouuuu!" is creepy as all get-out, possibly one of the creepiest things ever comitted to film.

the book is excellent too, one of the few books that has actually scared the crap outta me
unfortunately, like most King movie adaptations we get left with all the cheap scares and none of the cerebral terror of the novel, but that's par for the course (may even be ABOVE par considering some of the adaptations that removed even the cheap thrills)
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:39 pm

Valkyrie - Not bad. Not really all that great but not bad. I think what made it better for me was not knowing the ENTIRE story from like, history and such, so when the bomb that was planted detonated, I was then enraptured by whether or not they were going to change history and have them actually have killed hitle, thus making it more of a MOVIE than an ACCOUNT
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Daimajin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:45 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
Daimajin wrote:Pet Semetary .....one of my favorite King adaptations, even though the book is better! still this film has always creeped me out, even to this day! not to mention the wonderful performance by Fred Gwynne

I watched this once in the middle of the day on a weekend when I kinda had nothing better to do and it sucked compared to all the other times I've seen it late at night, with all the lights off

No matter what though the line: "now I want to play wif yoooouuuu!" is creepy as all get-out, possibly one of the creepiest things ever comitted to film.

the book is excellent too, one of the few books that has actually scared the crap outta me
unfortunately, like most King movie adaptations we get left with all the cheap scares and none of the cerebral terror of the novel, but that's par for the course (may even be ABOVE par considering some of the adaptations that removed even the cheap thrills)

I dunno, I grew up on it, I think it has plenty of scares & drama, not to mention an awesome atmosphere! & yes the little boy "Gage" is most definitely a tiny terror after he returns from the dead. This film has and always will be one of my favorite King Adaptations, along with The Shining & Silver Bullet!
Daimajin
Little Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:04 pm

Daimajin wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:

I dunno, I grew up on it, I think it has plenty of scares & drama, not to mention an awesome atmosphere! & yes the little boy "Gage" is most definitely a tiny terror after he returns from the dead. This film has and always will be one of my favorite King Adaptations, along with The Shining & Silver Bullet!

The book is perhaps the most frightning book I've ever read and all it basically does is ask us to imagine a loved one's death...no outlandish monsters can hold a candle to the terror found in grim reality it seems...
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:03 pm

The X From Outer Space
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:08 pm

lhb412 wrote:The X From Outer Space

This needs to come out on dvd...I need to see this film!
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:14 pm

^I recorded it on DVD+R from TCM about a year ago (and I just now get to watching it). Check their website every few months. If you type in a movie name in their search box it will give you the next time that movie is scheduled.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:29 pm

^ok thanks :D
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:45 am

King_Ghidorah wrote:
Daimajin wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:

The book is perhaps the most frightning book I've ever read and all it basically does is ask us to imagine a loved one's death...no outlandish monsters can hold a candle to the terror found in grim reality it seems...

Definitely one of the scariest Stephen King novels I've ever read. Oddly though, some of the scariest parts for me came in the description of the wendigo and his trips TO the burial ground, rather than the events following...but lots of scares to be found in the rest of the novel as well

responding to lhb: maybe its just because i did not grow up on it...for me, it's not bad, but if I don't watch it in the right frame of mind and atmosphere, i notice a lot of the flaws more than i would normally
Also, agreed on The Shining and Silver Bullet (though its odd that I think a more faithful adaptation of the Shining could be equally awesome, never seen the TV miniseries)

other notably awesome King adaptations:
Carrie, The Stand (which I plan to watch again soon), The Mist, Secret Window, Misery, The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me, Apt Pupil
then there's also the awesome (though largely in name only) Running Man, and the pretty good salem's lot (always found the story whether novel or movie to be rather slow moving and a bit boring)
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Brick Side » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:40 pm

BRUNO!
-Mike
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:49 pm

I wanna see Bruno....did you like it?
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:19 pm

Bruno

I watched this in a theater of people who seemed... very homophobic. The entire point, of course, is for Cohen to act so stereotypically gay that he activates everyone around him's homophobia and general stupidity. People in the theater were more likely to have reactions similar to the people in the film's reaction to Bruno, while I was one of the few people laughing at the homophobic and generally horrible people that Sacha Baron Cohen was actually making fun of.

It was like being in a sociological experiment.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:20 pm

King_Ghidorah wrote:I wanna see Bruno....did you like it?

It wasn't as smart, as well pulled off (since many know about Cohen now), or as good in general as Borat; but despite the fact that it was gross I found it hilarious.
-Mike
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:23 am

Brick Side wrote:
King_Ghidorah wrote:I wanna see Bruno....did you like it?

It wasn't as smart, as well pulled off (since many know about Cohen now), or as good in general as Borat; but despite the fact that it was gross I found it hilarious.

See, I think I might not like it then...
I mean, I loved Borat, but...going over the top of the grossness of Borat just because? doesnt REALLY appeal to me all that much...

The Dead Zone - Some of the deviations from the book are for the better (ie, I like the IDEA behind bringing a more REAL menace to Stillson as opposed to just a 'feeling' that he's bad, since throughout the entire story, he's able to see SPECIFICS then all of a sudden, hes not? never liked that) but some are a little bit for the worse (rushing the entire first part of the book with the budding romance and pre-car-crash semi-visions kinda hurt the story, i always liked the idea that he was pre-disposed to visions but the accident brought it out accutely)
overall, not a bad film at all - with Cronenberg directing, Walken, Sheen and Tom Skerrit starring, it woulda had to TRY to be bad though...
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Reaper G » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:40 am

"Gamera Super Monster"

Well, it's still better than "The Bachelorette" or something like that.
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:22 pm

Reaper G wrote:"Gamera Super Monster"

Well, it's still better than "The Bachelorette" or something like that.
:lol:
cant even think of a MOVIE that's worse...
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:20 pm

There isn't one...I do loath the first Gamera movie though almost as much...perhaps I shall try watching it again someday but I tried once about 7 years ago to watch it and it absolutely horrified me.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:55 pm

The new Transformers... My Lord, this was dumb. Megan Fox is of course the only reason to see it, even if she's just eye candy that has no real purpose in the film. But hey, I ain't complaining. I did like the last 30 or 40 minutes though where it was just nothing but... explosions and fighting! Typical popcorn flick fare I guess.

Next up for me is the Hurt Locker. Probably take me a week to watch it as well but oh well. Such is life.
-Mike
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion