The Comic Book Thread

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: The Comic Book Thread

Postby sentaison » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:47 am

My favorite giant monster comic outside of the IDW run of Godzilla is coming back! Dan Brereton is running a kickstarter for his classic kaiju story Giantkiller. He's going to do a large hardcover reprint with added story. They've already gone over the minimum amount with a month still to go!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/no ... n-hardcove
sentaison
Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:16 pm

Excellent!
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:38 pm

The Beasts of Burden are finally coming back in a two issue mini-series that will finally bring the issue count high enough to make up enough material for a second hardcover collection! Unfortunately, co-creator and artist Jill Thompson will only do the artwork for the first issue, with the second done by Benjamin Dewey, who did the art for the Wise Dogs spinoff. Writer Evan Dorkin has made a few allusions over the years to Jill Thompson's chronic tardiness holding up the release of this, his most successful series. Apparently, the script for these two issues was done years I ago! Dorkin's not really saying anything, but I reckon this may be the last time Thompson works on the characters, which would be a shame as she's terrific... but, Dewey is also terrific in a different way and I'd rather have a comic that comes out regularly then one that has many years between issues!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:20 pm

I've been making my way through all of the graphic novels, paperback collections, and hardcovers that have accumulated in these past couple of years that I have not read. Oh boy, there are a lot. I'm actually having a lot of fun and I'm buzzing through all this stuff.

A few years ago I read half of Dark Horse's collection of Dylan Dog comics that they translated into English almost two decades ago. I finished the book last afternoon, and I really dig it, so after I was done I lamented that only these seven stories are available in English and there's never been another attempt to bring the series over here... then a cursory Google search reveals that I small outfit called Epicenter Comics has been bringing over Dylan Dog books at a slow but steady pace these past three years! Pretty cool.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Holy moly! Usagi Yojimbo is leaving Dark Horse Comics after 25 years for new publisher IDW. The new Usagi issue #1 comes out in June.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/the-exodus-c ... e-for-idw/

The biggest change: we're going from black and white to color full-time. Tom Luth has always colored the covers and the odd color special, so it won't be too much of a change. The crazy thing is that the entire back catalog (aside from the original 7 volumes, still held by Fantagraphics) will be colorized as well!

Besides losing licensed properties like Star Wars, Buffy, Aliens, and Conan in the last few years Dark Horse has also recently lost Eric Powell's The Goon, now self published. Makes one wonder just what's going on at Dark Horse. Last year they were acquired by Chinese investors with an eye for developing their comics into TV and movies.

This year marks the 35th anniversary of Usagi and in addition to the relaunched series there's some manner of anniversary special in the works.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Deadline March 15, 2019:
‘Superman: Year One’: Frank Miller And John Romita Jr. Take On Man of Steel
Geoff Boucher wrote:Frank Miller delivered a milestone masterpiece in the 1980s when he took Gotham City’s caped crusader back to his beginnings with Batman: Year One. Now, the restless creative mind behind The Dark Knight Returns, 300, Sin City, Ronin, Elektra: Assassin, and Give Me Liberty is taking the Man of Steel back to his ground-floor days with Superman: Year One, which will be published by DC Comics under its Black Label imprint.

The first issue arrives in June in a large-format periodical version, followed by issue No. 2 in August and issue No. 3 in October. The complete three-issue story arc will be collected up into a single volume that will hit bookstore shelves in November.

John Romita Jr., the respected, longtime Marvel artist known for his work on Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil, Uncanny X-Men, Iron Man, and Kickass, is handling the interior art on the limited series, working with inker Alex Sinclair. The art of Romita and Sinclair graces the three periodical covers, which can be seen below. The fourth cover below, with art by Miller and showing Superman from behind — that’s the one that will accompany the collected-story version of Superman: Year One that arrives in November.

The project synopsis from Warner Bros.-owned DC Comics: “Superman: Year One is a coming-of-age story for the future Man of Steel, featuring a young alien-boy just trying to find his place in a new world. Faced with the need to hide his heritage and powers in order to survive, Clark will find his humanity through the grounding of the Kent family and the relationships that will define the man he will become. Told by two of the most revered voices in comics, Superman: Year One is more than a superhero story – it’s about the choices made by Clark Kent on his path to becoming a legend. It’s a testament to the importance of choosing to become a hero.”

The “Year One” title connects the new Superman project to one of Miller’s career peak achievements. In 1987, Miller and artist David Mazzucchelli delivered Batman: Year One, which revisited the formative days of Bruce Wayne’s caped alter ego in a four-issue run of the monthly Batman comic book series. The sublime result has rippled through Batman mythology and high-profile adaptations ever since, most notably Christopher Nolan’s Batman Begins and the Fox series Gotham, which is now in its fifth and final season. Batman: Year One was also adapted in a namesake, feature-length animated home video release in 2011.

Below, three cover images by John Romita Jr. for the Superman: Year One bimonthly comics and a fourth by Frank Miller for the collected story arc version that will reach stores in November.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Previous

Return to General Discussion