The Comic Book Thread

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: The Comic Book Thread

Postby lhb412 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:48 pm

^Whoa! Impressive, but I've never been a fan of them trying to play the design realistic (except for Robin Williams). I've got quite a few Popeye knick-knacks already.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:07 pm

The comics adaptation created by Mike Mignola and based on the film from Columbia Pictures (Sony) and Zoetrope Studios returns to print after a decades-long absence.
Mike Mignola is one of the most popular comic book artists of the past thirty years, known for such important works as Batman: Gotham by Gaslight, Cosmic Odyssey, and, of course, Hellboy. Considered to be among Mignola's greatest works, Bram Stoker's Dracula was his last project before Hellboy launched and was originally released as a full-color four issue adaptation of Francis Ford Coppola's 1992 movie released by Columbia Pictures (Sony). Unavailable for nearly 25 years, and collected here in gorgeous black and white, Bram Stoker's Dracula is a book fans have long been clamoring for... and the wait is finally over.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:24 pm

^It was only a matter of time. Along with Gotham by Gaslight and that one Batman issue that was basically a pilot for Hellboy the Dracula adaptation is the top-tier of pre-Hellboy Mignola.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:23 pm

After several years with only a one-shot issue or short story here and there we finally have a new Beasts of Burden miniseries on the horizon!

https://www.avclub.com/beasts-of-burden ... 1825321899

Co-creator and artist Jill Thompson will be back for the next series, Benjamin Dewey takes over on this one. There was a bit of a dust up a few years ago when Evan Dorkin publicly called out Thompson for being slow and holding up the creation of this series just as it was becoming popular. Their relationship is apparently back to amicability, with this compromise being a new artist for the second big miniseries. The change in style being justified by the fact that this more of a side story following the Wise Dog Society instead of the titular dogs (and one cat!) from the neighborhood of Burden Hill.

Beasts of Burden is a great comic, and I'd recommend it to all animal lovers with the caveat that sometimes deadly harm comes to said animals and younger readers may find some other moments of horror (and gore!) to be too much.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:13 pm

Whoa. Comics for young people has been the rapidly growing part of the market for some years now. Kids comics regularly blast everything else out of the water sales-wise, but in most places kids comics are simply shelved with the kids books. Now Barnes & Noble is going to add a section of their stores specifically for kids comics!

https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/04/ ... l-section/
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mbozzo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:13 pm

I have gotten issue 4 of Doomsday Clock. It's a crossover between Watchmen and DC heroes. I also got issue 18 of Star Trek: Go Boldly, issue 26 of Mighty Morphing Power Rangers, the 2018 Annual of that comic, issue 5 of Marvel-In-One, issue 3 of BSG Versus BSG, and issue 44 of Flash. I hope to get some more in the future. :mrgreen:
mbozzo
Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu May 10, 2018 12:24 pm

THR MAY 10, 2018:
'The Joe Shuster Story' Reveals Hidden History of the Comic Book Industry
Graeme McMillan wrote:As Superman celebrates his 80th birthday, a new book from independent publisher Super Genius tells the story of one of the two men responsible for bringing him into this world.

The Joe Shuster Story: The Artist Behind Superman, by Julian Voloj and Thomas Campi, traces the true origin of the Man of Steel, and follows the fortunes — and, sadly, misfortunes — of both oe Shuster and writer Jerry Siegel as their creation goes on to become one of the most recognizable figures in all of popular culture.

As much about the comic book industry’s evolving relationship with creators and the characters and ideas they’re responsible for as the man at the center of the story, The Joe Shuster Story also functions as a history of the industry throughout the middle of the 20th century — as can be seen in the preview below, where censorship, in the form of the infamous book The Seduction of the Innocent, and its equally infamous author, psychiatrist Fredric Wertham, impacts the medium’s development.

The Joe Shuster Story: The Artist Behind Superman will be released May 15. Writer Voloi will be at the Toronto Comics Arts Festival this weekend. The event takes place Saturday and Sunday at the Toronto Reference Library, Marriott Bloor Yorkville and other locations throughout the city.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:36 pm

Woohoo! I'm a big fan of E.C. Segar's original Popeye comics, but have held off on getting the last two of the six volumes to Fantagraphics hardcover set simply because Volume 5 fell out of print a few years ago and is going for exorbitant prices. I've been waiting for Fanta to do another print run for these things, but have worried that the next run will be paperback or something so the new volumes wouldn't match the spines to my Volumes 1 - 4. You see, the spines are clever: each one has a letter on the bottom that will spell out 'Popeye' when all six are placed together, and I've had to suffer the indignity of 'Pope' for a couple of years now.

But I just came back from my local 2nd and Charles (a Books A Million offshoot that sells new stock as well as used trade-ins and carries books, music, movies, comics, and collectables - you guys should get one) and got Volume 5 for only $8! I'm very happy about this. I'll go order Vol 6 right now...

I also got the TMNT 'Visual History' (a combo of art book and history and BTS look at the franchise from inception to 2014, when the book came out) and the oversized hardcover of Godzilla: Half Century War! I didn't even know Half Century War had an oversized hardcover release, and with IDW's material going out of print I was happy to get this.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:14 pm

lhb412 wrote:Image

Who's that man? Who is he? Who is he? Who is he?
Who's that man? Who is He? He's Devilman! It's Devilman!

(this book is nuts)
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:28 pm

Apparently there is a new Getter Robo manga from the creative team behind the new Ultraman manga. Apparently its getting US distribution
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:44 pm

^It's being published by Seven Seas! Same folks who're doing all this Leiji Matsumoto and Go Nagai related stuff.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:53 am

SUPERMAN IV: QUEST FOR PEACE's Big Bad Coming to DC COMICS
phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:56 am

"Kill or Be Killed" (my favorite series over the past two years) ended this past week, but Chad Stahelski of John Wick fame is working on the film adaptation. I really hope they keep the narrator like the book. Ed Brubaker has a new graphic novel in the fall and is returning to the world of "The Fade Out" next, but I am probably most interested in his upcoming Amazon series that he is wrote for Nicolas Winding Refn, Too Old to Die Young.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:03 pm

Just read that Steve Ditko has died, age 90.

What an incredible, unique talent. No one draws like Ditko: his work fulfils the splashy excitement of a superhero story, but has this weird, nervous intensity, an uneasiness. His are my favorite Marvel comic books.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: William Gibson’s Alien³

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:22 pm

CBR:
EXCLUSIVE: William Gibson’s Unproduced Alien³ Script to be Adapted by Dark Horse
Brandon Staley wrote:The synopsis for Gibson’s Alien³ reveals that the series’ story will evolve one of the primary conflicts of the first two films, the struggled between personal welfare and corporate interests, by introducing a hefty dose of governmental strife into the equation.

“Following the deadly events of Aliens, the Union of Progressive Peoples intercepts the spaceship carrying the hibernating bodies of Ripley, Hicks, Newt, and Bishop. But unbeknownst to them, they have also picked up another deadly passenger whose discovery will unleash a race between two governments to weaponize the xenomorph in this horrifying and poignant Cold War-themed thriller.”

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:07 pm

^ The whole 'comic adaptation of unproduced screenplay' thing is pretty cool. So many what-ifs would be interesting to see in a slightly more corporeal version. Of course, there are probably over a dozen Kaiju movies that were almost made that we'd like to 'see.'

One of the first times I saw the practice was when Paul Chadwick adapted an unproduced script for a movie starring his comic book character Concrete into a comic book miniseries. He had worked so hard on the adaptation that when the plug was pulled on the movie he must have felt compelled to make use of the work so Concrete was a comic that was almost a movie and that unmade movie was then made into another comic. Confusing, eh? Funnily enough, that was probably my least favorite Concrete comic. Even when drawn and written by the original creator the story just felt a little too... Hollywood.

It just so happened that a nice piece on io9 about Concrete was published today. It's quite the overlooked gem:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/concrete-hits-h ... 1829076696

You know what sucks? 15 years ago Viz published two volumes of Taiyo Matsumoto's manga Number 5. It didn't sell well, so the rest of the series wasn't translated and those initial two volumes are long out of print. I found the first volume at the used bookstore last week and, knowing I would be frustrated that I wouldn't be able to have the conclusion, I bought it anyway, read it, and indeed am disappointed because it is a very cool comic! Well, I have no one to blame but myself.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:53 pm

I need to play catchup bigtime, but BPRD will be coming to an end with BPRD The Devil You Know #15, although Hellboy and the BPRD will continue.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:37 pm

^Indeed. I have a bit of catching up, too.

I wonder if it's intentional that the series will be ending just as the new Hellboy movie (which Mignola has been very involved in) is coming out?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Previous

Return to General Discussion