"Godzilla 1985" appreciation thread

Discuss the 2nd Godzilla film era here! Beam fights, revised versions of classic kaiju, the Heisei era was a mixed bag of fun and controversy!

Moderator: Controllers

"Godzilla 1985" appreciation thread

Postby Legion » Sat May 01, 2004 1:46 pm

As a few of us here might know, December 15th is the 20th anniversary of Godzilla 1985, the film that revived Godzilla for the 1980s and would kick off the highly successful Heisei series in 1989.

Use this thread to discuss the film, maybe how and when you first saw it and what you think of it. I'll add my comments later.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby yeast » Thu May 06, 2004 1:31 pm

I saw this film for the first time back in the 80s when I was a wee chap. I was about 4 or 5 and it scared the pants off me. I wasn't able to watch it again for a few more years. Now I consider it one of my favorite G films of all time. I really love how dark this film is. G's roar and the music had a lot to do with it I think. I can't remember who scored it, but it's one of my favorite non-Ifukube scores. I think I might just have to watch this one tonight. Thanks for reminding me about it Legion.
yeast

Postby gfanikf » Thu May 06, 2004 3:54 pm

I absolutely love this film because it begged to ask how would the rest of the world react to Godzilla which I think is an important question that is all to often ignored. I love it for many more reasons but at the the moment Im a tad short on time.
gfanikf

Postby MireGoji » Thu May 06, 2004 5:25 pm

Yeah, I like Godzilla 1985 (or as I personally refer to it, The Return of Godzilla - well, that's the title it was released under by Carlton Home Video here in the UK).

The humans were okay in this. I thought Maki was a complete and utter jerk over photographing the reunion of Okamura and Naoko (was that her name? I'm not much good with character names). Hayashida was good, I liked him - I would have thought he'd have been filled with hatred towards Godzilla, but as the good Professor says, he's "just trying to send [Godzilla] home". Oh, and the drunk was cool. What happened to him, by the way? From what I could tell, he just fainted, but I read somewhere he got killed.

As for Godzilla himself, he was neat too. His look really brought a sense of real size to him. The only thing I though was wrong with Godzilla was his eyes. The cybot Toho created was a very neat idea, but I felt it didn't quite gel.

The music was brilliant. I think that covers that aspect.

The special effects were great, especially the chain reaction explosion on the highway (yes, I know it was lifted from an earlier Toho movie, it doesn't make it any less cool) and the whole sequence at the nuclear power plant. The sequence with the red sky after the American and Soviet missles hit in the atmosphere was nice and eerie.

All in all, I like The Return of Godzilla. It has its flaws, sure, but doesn't every Godzilla movie?
"Crossing into established events is strictly forbidden. Except for cheap tricks."
- The Tenth Doctor, Smith and Jones
MireGoji
Burning Godzilla

Postby CousinOfGodzilla » Thu May 06, 2004 6:21 pm

I've only been able to see the American version. As much as I admittedly like the fact that Raymond Burr returned to reprise his role from over 30 years ago, I can't say the same for most of the rest of the American cast...

Goofy Redneck Army Kid who can't stop drinking Dr.Pepper- 'Well it looks like Super Lizard is down for the count !!' - :evil: :x :evil:

As for what's left of the original Japanese version, I like the film. As a kid I remember actually being moderatly scared by this version of Godzilla, and was impressed by the special effects. The human cast is one of the few from the Heisei series that I wouldn't like to see stomped. And the score is one of my favorite non-Ifukube or Sato sets of music- The Godzilla theme is rather eerie, and creepy in my mind. On top of all of that, as bizarre as the 'bird lure' idea to vanquish Godzilla is, I can't help but feel it's a breath of fresh air from your average Godzilla film ending.. Come to think of it, why the heck didn't G-force ever try to lure Godzilla that way again ?

The film is not without it's flaws, but I'd have to take a closer look again to remember what they were, and heck, it's an 'appreciation' thread. :)
Cousin

"THIS, is where the power lies, brother!!!"
CousinOfGodzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby briizilla » Thu May 06, 2004 7:25 pm

This is definately a top 10 for me. Its the most realistic since G54, and I like how it has no other monsters. The Japanese version is better, if you can get it I highly recomend it.
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby KaijuDave » Thu May 06, 2004 8:23 pm

I'm 30 years old, and I still get all choked up at the end when Godzilla plummets into the depths of the volcano and lets out a high-pitched screech... :cry: *cry* *sob* even though I know he'll return again...
Same thing happens when I watch the end of the King Kong remake from the late 70s. Poor monsters are just misunderstood.
KaijuDave
Godzillasaurus

Postby Lord Ghidorah » Fri May 07, 2004 12:25 pm

I appreciated the human face put on the military in this one. There were generals and foot soldiers in Showa movies, but the tanks and planes were always anonymous props. Seeing and hearing the pilots, watching the men in the ground vehicles; that added to the depth of the military's presentation.
The pilot screaming as his world went blue/white... the ground troops disappearing, leaving a waterfront marked only by ruins and carbon stains... That was the first time since the original that the real horror of a Godzilla attack was depicted, and of course it was in color and with better effects.

Super-X was rather ugly, but it worked well (at first). I was surprised that a vehicle rather obviously designed for use in a nuclear environment would have no EMP shielding, though.
The Super-X crew weren't main characters, but they got a lot of screen time, proportionately. 'Sort of like SY-3 Lite, I suppose. Their fight and eventual demise was the best mecha plot in the Heisei series, IMO.

The Cold War plot was a bit too much, I thought, but the nuclear missile aimed at Tokyo was a convenient way to remind people of Godzilla's origins. The original presentation, with the Soviet officer trying to stop the launch, was superior. It makes sense that the Soviets would appreciate the danger Godzilla represented, since they made extensive use of nuclear energy themselves.
(It's amusing that GvsKG, for all its flaws, touched briefly on that same concept when a Soviet sub wreck kept Godzilla an ongoing concern.)
Does anyone else listen to Kajagoogoo's "Too Shy" and think of "Save the Earth?"
Lord Ghidorah
Godzilla Jr.

Postby angilas » Fri May 07, 2004 1:34 pm

I love the films dark atmosphere. I think I first saw it when I was 3, and htis Godzilla seemed much scarier than all the others. I couldnt imagine him losing a fight to another kaiju like this, because he just seemed so dark and menacing. While the suit wasnt a battle suit IMO like the one in GvB< I cant even imagine them pitting it against another kaiju.
The score for this film is great and there were some really cool scenes, like the Super X battle and him falling into the volcanoe.
I like both versions though I feel that the japanese version is superior with the exception of Burr's closing lines. I also have to crack up at the scene in the japanese version where the US guy yell's "HE'S RIGHT!" talking about the soviet guy who wants to use nukes.
Thank You Universal for your Generosity! and SFJ for running these contests!
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Fri May 07, 2004 2:46 pm

I've only seen the American version and aside from the horrible cuts made, the film was very good and this was the first truly dark Godzilla film that I saw. The fighting in Tokyo Bay and in Tokyo itself though a little slow and could have used a little more resistance (corrected in the manga version) was truly well done. Some of the scenes I liked was were the masers were luring Godzilla away and then they're in the Shinjuku area. Other notables are when Godzilla attacks the nuclear power plant and where he torches all of Tokyo Bay in one shot.

Note to myself (must get Japanese version as soon as possible).
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri May 07, 2004 8:39 pm

I love Godzilla 1985, one of my favorite G films over all. A few years ago I became a bit uninterested in Godzilla, then one day on a whim I put in G 1985 and was atomatically re-hooked.

If they stayed with the style and tone of G 1985 and Biollante for the rest of the Heisei series it would have been my favorite of the three G eras. To bad they didn't and the 90's films became something I like to call; "Bleh!".
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

My fave scene from G85...

Postby dukesman » Wed May 12, 2004 9:15 am

Since this is an appreciation of this fine movie, my favorite scene in this movie is when the military is lined up along the bay attacking Godzilla. You can see the entire scene from far away and Godzilla's spikes start to crackle and then he sweeps the entire line of tanks, soldiers, and vehicles from right to left, melting them into smoking debris. AWESOME! One of my favorite scenes in ANY Godzilla film EVER!!!
dukesman
Godzilla Egg

Re: My fave scene from G85...

Postby Legion » Wed May 12, 2004 6:18 pm

dukesman wrote:Since this is an appreciation of this fine movie, my favorite scene in this movie is when the military is lined up along the bay attacking Godzilla. You can see the entire scene from far away and Godzilla's spikes start to crackle and then he sweeps the entire line of tanks, soldiers, and vehicles from right to left, melting them into smoking debris. AWESOME! One of my favorite scenes in ANY Godzilla film EVER!!!

This scene would have been even better if Godzilla's ray and his mouth were actually aligned better. :lol:
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby goji2k1 » Mon May 31, 2004 10:06 pm

my first godzilla movie......love the malicious way godzilla stalked the super x.....

love the roar and the screen time godzilla received in this movie was great....

only seen US version so the dr. pepper stuff is annoying.
goji2k1
Godzilla Egg

Postby anguirus23 » Mon May 31, 2004 11:34 pm

It doesn't suck.

The good things about it are REALLY good, but it fumbles in a few too many places to make my top ten. Still a great show, and I wish subsequent films would take a leaf from its book in terms of tone, international effects of a kaiju appearence, and so on.
anguirus23

Postby lucius111 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:58 am

G:85 is slowly turning to my favorite G movie of all time. The dark tones of make it so different than the rest of the G movies. I remember seeing it when it came out on vhs when I was little. Seeing G fall into that volcano made me sick to my stomach. To me, G could never be killed. It kinda turned me off from the movie. But now, years later, I have began to like this movie more and more everytime I watch it. It is a great portrayal of the awesomeness that is Godzilla.

My only complaint is the suit......thought the head was too big and I didn't like that the dorsal spines started really low on the suit. But, he still kicked ass in the movie.
lucius111
Godzilla Egg

Postby MightyGhidorah » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:03 am

When I was Godzilla vs Destroyah, I feel at times, the same feeling I got when watching 85....That whole "dark" feeling...

Speaking of this, anyone see this in the movies back in the day, and they had um..."Godzilla Meets Bambi" in the begining...some little kid next to me was crying when that happened
MightyGhidorah

Postby MrZilla69 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:21 am

This is the movie that has gotten me into Godzilla. Thats all I have to say, so I appreciate it A LOT. :D
MrZilla69
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Beijing Blue Jay » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:26 pm

I like Godzilla 85 better than most of the Godzilla films. It reminded me of the first film that came out in 1954. Godzilla 85 really made it seem like it was in 54.
我的愛, 我的愛。讓您和我同意。
Beijing Blue Jay
Godzilla Egg

Postby kent » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:44 pm

I really didn't care for Godzilla 1985 when I first saw it. But over the years, I began to enjoy it more. I love the dark atmosphere it had. Only problem I had is that they made Godzilla seem bad. When he was just a kaiju just checking out his stomping grounds and instead happened to go into Tokyo and cause a ruckus.
kent
Little Godzilla

Postby angilas » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:05 am

kent wrote: Only problem I had is that they made Godzilla seem bad.

I dont know that they made Godzilla seem bad, at least not to the degree he was in GvsKG or GMK or anything. He was more or less there for the nuclear energy he needed, and the searching for something line made him sound less like a bad guy, just a large force of nature, often provoked. Granted the fangs didn't do much to help his good guy image :evil:
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Tiny Gigan » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:38 am

Some of the old VHS prints have Bambi vs. Godzilla on them too. That cartoon was voted one of the 50 greatest cartoons of all time according to some book I used to have. I think I read that the guy who did it made it over the weekend as a project for school.
Tiny Gigan
Godzilla Jr.

Postby angilas » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:41 pm

Tiny Gigan wrote:Some of the old VHS prints have Bambi vs. Godzilla on them too. That cartoon was voted one of the 50 greatest cartoons of all time according to some book I used to have. I think I read that the guy who did it made it over the weekend as a project for school.

oh yeah?
My tape is one of those but I didnt know it made it into one of the 50 greatest cartoons of all time. lol. It didnt seem like he put a whole lot of effort into it though it was all a one man effort as indicated in the credits.
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Zero7756 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:55 am

I love the dark tone. The music is the ebst of the series. I love hoe HUGE, and UNSTOPPABLE godzilla is. The vities look very real. The best sets in any Godzilla film EVER.
Zero7756

Postby planetxman » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:51 pm

Zero7756 wrote:I love the dark tone. The music is the ebst of the series. I love hoe HUGE, and UNSTOPPABLE godzilla is. The vities look very real. The best sets in any Godzilla film EVER.

The EBST music of the series ?
What series are you referring to ? The ENTIRE G series ? Or the Heiseii ?
C'mon no, be serious. You don't consider the scores from films like G vs. Mothra 64, DAM or Monster Zero to be better scores than G 84 ?

The score to G vs MG 1993 was IMO, the best of THAT series.
planetxman

Next

Return to The Heisei Era: 1984-1995