[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Godzilla's early '80s 'comeback' • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Godzilla's early '80s 'comeback'

Discuss the 2nd Godzilla film era here! Beam fights, revised versions of classic kaiju, the Heisei era was a mixed bag of fun and controversy!

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla's early '80s 'comeback'

Postby lhb412 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:19 am

Something that's fascinated me recently is the pre-Return of Godzilla nostalgia for the series in the early '80s. I'd always known a bit about it. I'm sure there was a passing mention about it in the Official Godzilla Compendium, and I read that when I was ten years old! The idea that Godzilla had been gone for a couple of years, and had been a part of the children's Champion Festival for the last several years anyway, so for most people it was as if Godzilla had been gone for even longer than he had been - over a decade! I'd really like to know the specifics of the various rereleases and film festivals they did in those intervening years. Looking back into that section on Steve Ryfle's book I see that the sale of Godzilla toys and merchandise began increasing in the late '70s, and wasn't it around then when Bandai became the main Godzilla toy company?

What got me thinking was this picture I saw a few months ago on raffleupagus' tumblr page:

http://raffleupagus.tumblr.com/post/153 ... ume-at-the

That's Hirata in costume as Dr. Serizawa for the 'Godzilla Comeback Festival' in 1983!

I'm interested in how The Return of Godzilla wasn't just an attempt at franchise revival out of nowhere, but was really riding a resurgence of popularity for Godzilla. Of course, when Return did well at the box office but not well enough considering the enormous expense of the film did that wave crest and Godzilla's popularity settle back down? In a way, Return, Biollante (five years later), and vs. King Ghidorah (two years after that) were all attempts at starting anew and the third one was really the one that stuck.

PS - Imagine living in a world where the initial reboot idea played out: a faithful remake of the original 1954 film in the late '70s using much of the same staff who did the '70s films, including director Fukuda and FX by Nakano! Can you wrap your head around that?
Last edited by lhb412 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: Godzilla's early '80s 'comeback'

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:21 pm

Well, we'd have TONS OF EXPLOSIONS on par with Submersion of Japan and Prophecies of Nostradamus thats for sure!

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:02 pm

I forgot about another aspect of Godzilla's 1983 comeback: Ifukube's 'Symphonic Fantasia.'
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gentleman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:14 pm

I'm not a hero. I'm not a savior. Forget what you know.

I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control.
Gentleman
Godzilla Jr.

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:30 am

^No idea. I've just listened to different recordings of it on Youtube and such.

The internet is failing me; I can't even find the album cover image of Godzilla's reflection on the building.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:59 pm

lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Return to The Heisei Era: 1984-1995