The Roar.

Discuss the 2nd Godzilla film era here! Beam fights, revised versions of classic kaiju, the Heisei era was a mixed bag of fun and controversy!

Moderator: Controllers

The Roar.

Postby Gojilove » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:21 pm

So I've been in the process of watching every Godzilla film back to back, currently onto Mecha Godzilla (II)

I'm not sure if it has been discussed or not, but I've been interested in the changes to Godzilla's roar during the Heisei series.

The first 3 of the series use the roar from Godzilla 85, which does appear in Gojira once or twice, but it is not the "trademark" roar that we had all become accustomed too during the showa films.

I always liked the roar used in Godzilla 85/Biollante/Ghidorah. It has a very menacing vibe to it that really worked for me.

Then in Mothera they go back to a more processed sounding version of the roar most commonly associated with Godzilla and its what we are treated to until the millennium series.

Just curious if this has ever caught anyone before and if there is any significance to it. Or maybe I'm just getting dizzy from all the Godzilla I've been watching.
Gojilove
Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:26 pm

No, this is something well known. My only question years and years has been "why"?

I felt like they had created a very menacing Godzilla coupled with that roar. Was it an executive decision forced by Toho? A creative decision once Okawara got in the directors chair? And if either, still, why? Was it decided the Showa roar resonated more with audiences?

It's a lot of question marks, but with all the information about these productions floating around these days you'd figure someone out there had the answer.
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:36 pm

Changing the sound of the roar was never as appalling to me as changing the sound of the beam.

That lazer-beam sound in GvMothra is ATROCIOUS
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Gman2887 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:04 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:That lazer-beam sound in GvMothra is ATROCIOUS

I remember that taking awhile for me to realize. At least that only lasted for one movie.
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gojilove » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:33 pm

The most appalling thing about Battle for Earth is the movie in general. Watching that last night blew my mind.

I used to have Megalon and Revenge on my crap list. But after this marathon I have replaced them both with Mothra.
Gojilove
Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:20 pm

GoJiRa07 wrote:The most appalling thing about Battle for Earth is the movie in general. Watching that last night blew my mind.

I used to have Megalon and Revenge on my crap list. But after this marathon I have replaced them both with Mothra.

:lol: Good man.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gojilove » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:22 pm

I think I liked all of the Heisei films more as a kid because they were shinier and newer. That and they were a lot harder to come by.

But really sitting through all of them again, after Ghidorah (which is always been on of my favorites) its just so....hard..
:lol:
Gojilove
Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:43 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
GoJiRa07 wrote:The most appalling thing about Battle for Earth is the movie in general. Watching that last night blew my mind.

:lol: Good man.

In this case, I have to completely agree.
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby RaymondBurr » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:31 pm

I wonder if the change in roar had to do with the change in Toho's characterization of Godzilla over the course of the Heisei films, from Godzilla 1985-King Ghidorah he is malevolent, in vs. Mothra it's a little ambiguous because he's battling Battra, though still mostly evil, but from Mechagodzilla onward the Big G was a daddy/mommy, so maybe they wanted to move away from the really menacing low roar.

jellydonut25 wrote:That lazer-beam sound in GvMothra is ATROCIOUS

I can appreciate not liking the change from one sound to another, but I don't think it's mind-blowingly ridiculous or atrocious. We are talking about radioactive beam energy being emitted from a walking reptile reactor, what sound should this realistically make? :lol:
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Return to The Heisei Era: 1984-1995