TALKBACK #21: Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla

Discuss the 2nd Godzilla film era here! Beam fights, revised versions of classic kaiju, the Heisei era was a mixed bag of fun and controversy!

Moderator: Controllers

TALKBACK #21: Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:13 am

I'm gonna suprise everyone by saying that I enjoyed this movie much more than the last three. You see, the Heisei series on a whole is very bland and really un-involving, but Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla has something that I can dig my teeth into: it is really stupid and cheesy. I invoke the Plan 9 rule!

You know the things against the movie: nonsensical plot, Little Godzilla, the fact that Godzilla's enemy is an evil version of himslef which was already done with Mechagodzilla (who was in the last film !), Miki is not a engaging main character and she really is a spineless Godzilla protector (just how much harm does she do to Godzilla in these films?), the music is really generic, and the scene in the asteroid belt is laughably realized.

You know, the asteroid special effects done in Red Dwarf around the same time as this movie are far more effective. Toho, you got beat by a BBC budget!

For the pluses: this movie is so stupid it's amusing, Yuuki is a far more interesting character than anyone in the past three movies, the cell animated beams and lazers are really colorful and trippy, there are several great shots Godzilla filmed from creative angles (Godzilla wading to shore is beautifully done), the island location in the begining is very pretty, and the lighting is good.

Yes, I mention the lighting only because it's the first time since Biolantte where I thought: "huh, this film is competently lit."
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Destroysall » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:35 am

You know, people criticize Takayuki Hattori's score for this film. I actually never thought it was that bad. "Godzilla's Theme 1994" is the one score I enjoy and to this day, still listen to sometimes. I don't find it bad, but I wouldn't call it great either. However, I still listen to it and enjoy it every time.

The only problem I had with this movie is that it was no where near what I expected. When I saw the artwork poster and the design of Spacegodzilla, I was seriously hyped to see the film. However, when I got it, I was just so disappointed on many parts. I wish it was made some way in the style of Godzilla vs. Destroyah, but oh well. :? I don't hate the movie or anything, but it isn't a favorite of mine.

Hey wait, isn't this the movie where Godzilla gets a piece of his tail blown off? :lol: I still need to see that part!
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby Shonokin » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:54 pm

It's funny you should invoke the Plan 9 rule, as I've always likened the asteroids at the beginning as wadded up paper balls that looked worse than something Ed Wood would do.

Plan 9 is actually more entertaining than this movie, which to me is just painful.
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:06 pm

:puke:

That is all I have to say about this movie...strangely...I still find it better than Final Wars
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:41 pm

While it has its moments, I still find this movie pretty difficult to enjoy. Aside from a few effects shots, some of the music, and one of the characters (Yuuki) being pretty well-done, "Spacegodzilla" just doesn't do it for me. Granted, I've only seen the dubbed version, but something tells me seeing this one in its original form isn't going to help it all that much. I find it hard to watch for the same reasons lhb finds it enjoyable. Goofiness can be fun, but this one just feels more like a chore to me than anything else.
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:44 pm

I have to agree with you all mostly here and feel that Godzilla vs. Space-Godzilla could have been so much more but unfortunately due to mistakes by both production crew and actors, this is undoubtedly a failure.
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:07 pm

This is one of my least faves of the series, like many others. The decisions they made with this movie were mostly bad, but I can give it props for being so bad it's good at times. I love making fun of this movie. :lol:
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby metal_bryan » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:08 pm

Oops, double-post. :oops:

Seriously though, WHY THE HECK DOES LITTLE GODZILLA LOOK LIKE A SD-CHARACTER?!?!??!?!
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby Legion » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:34 pm

Eh. Space Godzilla is quite a disaster, definitely the worst Heisei film. Though I do prefer it to G2K, GxM and Final Bores. But that's probably because I have a nostalgic attachment (albeit much smaller than MG93) to this film. The film is awful, no doubt, but thanks to many of the great things I associate with it (discovering G-Fan, the first public G-Con and all the great tie-in Bandai merchandise) I can't really hate this movie. It's badly made, with a poor story, some horrible special effects, pathetic editing and it puts me to sleep. But I just cant hate it.

I like the score though. It's great stand alone music. But like the score to Biollante it doesn't work when combined with the movie.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:38 pm

"Congratulations. You saved planet Earth!" :lol:

It sounds like an old video game or something. Priceless!
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:05 am

This movie is awful in every way imaginable. Aside from Yuki being a pretty cool character and Space Godzilla having a pretty nifty design, there's nothing entertaining about this movie. Its the only Godzilla movie I feel that way about. The score has maybe 2 good themes and the rest is garbage.

F'ck this movie.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:18 am

It's alright. I mean, I feel as though the final battle is like 60% of the film. Which makes me want it to be over and done with. That's not the way a G-Film should make me feel. SHAME ON YOU GvsSG! Though it is terrible it's not my least favorite Heisei film.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:47 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:It's alright. I mean, I feel as though the final battle is like 60% of the film. Which makes me want it to be over and done with. That's not the way a G-Film should make me feel. SHAME ON YOU GvsSG! Though it is terrible it's not my least favorite Heisei film.

:lol: I always thought that the battle was the longest ever recorded except for maybe Megalon. It really does seem to go on FOREVER
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby Mac » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:01 pm

I threw out my copy of this movie, because I'm never going to watch it again.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:12 pm

Mac wrote:I threw out my copy of this movie, because I'm never going to watch it again.

Sometimes I think if Space Godzilla wasn't so well liked by the "lets rank monsters in terms of power" crowd, Godzilla vs Space Godzilla probably would be talked about a lot less that it already is.

The last time I tried to watch this movie was probably about 3 years ago when I tried to watch one Godzilla movie a day in order of release. This film killed my desire to continue. I got about a quarter of the way through and almost nodded off.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:33 pm

this movie is pretty awful.

that said, if i literally only watch like half of the movie (that being the scenes with Godzilla in them) i can actually somewhat kinda sorta enjoy it...at least more so than GvMothra92...

still, this movie is hampered by the sheer EMBARRASSMENT i felt the first time i ever watched it...

the asteroid scene is a total faceplam, but at least the last half hour is just monster-mash
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Destroyer D » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:17 pm

metal_bryan wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:It's alright. I mean, I feel as though the final battle is like 60% of the film. Which makes me want it to be over and done with. That's not the way a G-Film should make me feel. SHAME ON YOU GvsSG! Though it is terrible it's not my least favorite Heisei film.

:lol: I always thought that the battle was the longest ever recorded except for maybe Megalon. It really does seem to go on FOREVER

That is exactly why I like the film.Because of the final battle being so
long.(***Possible Spoilers ahead for some***) Also other than GvsBio I don't mind watching this as no other living GOOD kaiju bites the dust as in the rest of the series.. So I can watch the final battle and not get emotional about it. I know.I know. I'm a wuss. :cry:
Destroyer D
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:19 pm

Gotta love the tape of those astronauts when Space Godzilla is shooting crystals through their ship.

Hilarious.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby SeaHawk » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:26 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Gotta love the tape of those astronauts when Space Godzilla is shooting crystals through their ship.

Hilarious.

"We can only speculate it was some sort of huge monster."
SeaHawk
Godzilla

Postby Rodanex » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:36 pm

Oh boy...we've come to this one. Yeah, this one's pretty bad. Pretty much every fault has already been pointed out about this film, so for me to list any more would be kind of redundant.

One thing I do really like in this film is the shot of Godzilla shielding LittleGodzilla with his body while SpaceGodzilla is attacking from the air. I think it's kind of touching, and the music at that moment is pretty cool and fits really well.

Regarding the music in general, it's definitely not the best Godzilla movie score, but it has it's moments.

I guess another positive for me was Mogera. It's no Mechagodzilla, but it's still a giant robot. For me, it's hard to go wrong with giant robots.

While it's definitely a low-point in the Godzilla series, I don't hate it as much as some do. I still like it more than Final Wars.
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby zekend01 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:36 pm

King_Ghidorah wrote::puke:

That is all I have to say about this movie...strangely...I still find it better than Final Wars

On the $
"If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone." - Lenny Bruce
http://www.myspace.com/cretinfunk
http://www.myspace.com/prometheuscomplex
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby KaiserGhidorah » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:40 pm

I'll take GFW anyday over Space Godzilla.
KaiserGhidorah
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:58 pm

I'd take GFW over the majority of post-Showa Godzilla movies.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:38 am

What happened to the forum member who was on a mission to re-cut this movie so it wasn't SUCH a steaming pile??
(this was back a few years)
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:14 am

SeaHawk wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:Gotta love the tape of those astronauts when Space Godzilla is shooting crystals through their ship.

Hilarious.

"We can only speculate it was some sort of huge monster."

That's my favorite part! Like I said, I'm not saying this is a good movie, but rather that the Heisei series is so bland that this film's sheer horribleness paradoxically makes it a bit more interesting.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Next

Return to The Heisei Era: 1984-1995