[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
TALKBACK #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

TALKBACK #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II

Discuss the 2nd Godzilla film era here! Beam fights, revised versions of classic kaiju, the Heisei era was a mixed bag of fun and controversy!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: TALKBACK #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II

Postby H-Man » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:13 pm

The Garuda pilot that Aoki replaces is named “Johnson.” I don’t think we ever see him though. Aoki’s co-worker from the beginning of the movie is the guy who gets the Mechagodzilla job after Aoki is fired. He’s in the cockpit during the final battle and even identifies Aoki as the Garuda pilot.
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:03 pm

Watching this again just made me realize the stark decline in Kawakita's effects work. In this film he begins abandoning a lot of the basic stuff about how to film the monster suits and miniatures in a way to give the sense of scale and power and more often than not he's just lazily pointing a camera without any of that! And what's up with the enormous spaces between the buildings? No urban area is laid out that way. I noticed this in the previous film with the impossibly enormous streets in the city Battra attacks. I understand those are there so that the actors in the monster suits have the space to perform, but I also know from the behind-the-scenes footage from many other Kaiju films that when they do that they shoot to avoid showing you those enormous empty spaces. Here, it's like you're seeing what you're not supposed to see: the tokusatsu equivalent of seeing a boom mic at the top of the screen.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:18 am

Excellent points.

The really empty sets in the climactic battle have always irked me. It's not like the later Showa movies where budget restrictions forced them to stage sfx scenes in countryside. Here there's an urban environment that has a few skyscrapers, a baseball stadium (all of which are quickly destroyed), and nothing else. But more than that it's the uncomplimentary photography for such a long sequence that already isn't very engaging.
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Previous

Return to The Heisei Era: 1984-1995