TALKBACK #19: Godzilla and Mothra, The Battle for Earth

Discuss the 2nd Godzilla film era here! Beam fights, revised versions of classic kaiju, the Heisei era was a mixed bag of fun and controversy!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Psycho Soldier » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:23 am

The 90's dubs have somehow gotten less bearable over time, for me. I was more willing to condone them when I was younger, because I was in it for the kaiju action, but now that I've come to pay more attention to the human drama, they've just gotten terribly grating. I'm glad at least that Sony's GvMG2 disc has the Japanese audio as well. Unfortunately, it's probably too much to ask for the others to be re-released with the original audio.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:48 am

I'm so glad I first saw all the Heisei films in Japanese. I kinda, sorta feel bad for anyone who had to see these for the first time dubbed. Yuck.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Goji 84 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:48 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
The Real McCoy wrote:Can you really call any of the nineties dubs not wretched?

Nope.

I don't even know what it was, those international dubs were used for a lot of other stuff, too. Things like Gigan thru Terror of MechaGodzilla and GvsBiollante seem bearable (though things like GvsTSM,SOG,GvsH, and DAM sound terrible in comparison with the classic dubs we've known) but right after it goes soooo wrong.

It's too bad that most of the enjoyable Hong Kong voice actors stopped dubbing after GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE. After that film, most of the familiar voices heard in the 70's were long gone, and the dubs went from goofy, and fun to listen to (IMO), to almost unbearable.

You can hear a few familiar voice sprinkled throughout VS. KING GHIDORAH's dub, but after that film, it was mostly "new" voices. The English dub of YAMATO TAKERU was probably the last Toho film to feature several of the 70's-era Hong Kong dubbers (which were dubbed by Ted Thomas's Axis International).

I'm not sure what happened between 1989-1992, because a ton of the familiar voice actors literally just disappeared. My guess is that Axis dubbed the two 80's Godzilla films, before Omni Productions took over dubbing these films in either '91/'92 (Possibly acquiring a few dubbers from Axis, which could be why some could be heard as late as 1994, in YAMATO).
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:43 pm

Goji 84 wrote:It's too bad that most of the enjoyable Hong Kong voice actors stopped dubbing after GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE. After that film, most of the familiar voices heard in the 70's were long gone, and the dubs went from goofy, and fun to listen to (IMO), to almost unbearable.

You can hear a few familiar voice sprinkled throughout VS. KING GHIDORAH's dub, but after that film, it was mostly "new" voices. The English dub of YAMATO TAKERU was probably the last Toho film to feature several of the 70's-era Hong Kong dubbers (which were dubbed by Ted Thomas's Axis International).

I'm not sure what happened between 1989-1992, because a ton of the familiar voice actors literally just disappeared. My guess is that Axis dubbed the two 80's Godzilla films, before Omni Productions took over dubbing these films in either '91/'92 (Possibly acquiring a few dubbers from Axis, which could be why some could be heard as late as 1994, in YAMATO).

Don't forget about Rik Thomas (I think), who's been working since the '70s (the earliest film I can recall him in is 1978's 36th Chamber of Shaolin). You'll recognize him as Colonel Gondo in Biollante, Shindo in King Ghidorah, all of Akira Nakao's characters since the '90s, at least as late as Final Wars, in which he voiced Akira Takarada's character (as well as Nakao's cameo at the beginning).
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:44 pm

He's the one guy I always recognize.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:14 pm

Omni Productions was formed in 1990, which means they might have dubbed BIOLLANTE. Rik Thomas (founder of Omni) dubbed Col Gondo, as Tyler mentioned, so I'd guess that's the first Omni dub. For the record, the earliest Toho dub with Rik Thomas that I know of is DEATHQUAKE (1980), where he dubs several characters.

Here's the link to Omni's official website.
H-Man
Godzilla

Postby rockstarbd82 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:36 pm

This one isnt way too bad but its not all that great. an obvious attempt to reinvent another of godzilla's classic adversaries. however we did get another cool monster out of it, BATTRA.

This is when i felt the heisie series started to suffer. There always seemed to be this generic formula that would follow in some of them. Godzilla shows up, everyone panics, new monster fights godzilla, beam war, military fights godzilla in a toy commercial fashion :lol: , monster comes back, another beam battle, end of movie. After the first time it got old fast with me.

Story wise, its interesting how the fairies are now the cosmos of the earth. Battra, like i said above, is an interesting new concept. Whats interesting about Battra is how he's supposed to be a protector of the earth like Mothra but feels the need to punish mankind for earths' mistreatment/pollution, while Mothra has to fight for mankind. Godzilla in the mix does help the story, but not as much as you'd think. It was nice to see Akira Takarada back. Though the main human characters were pretty typical and uninteresting. The Indiana Jones knockoff at the beginning was pretty funny though. The Mothra Fairies (sry Cosmos) were kinda hot in those outfits.

Special FX: Same as I saw in the previous films, just with the bar raised a bit. I was def fascinated by Mothra's eye lazers and reflective scales with the ability to reflect power sources against whatever its containing. Battras powers were cool too, but he seemed more prone in adult form since he lost his horn ray. :?

Monster/Monster fights: Not too much to say about Godzilla. Looked alright with a few modifications. Mothra Larvae looked more like the classic one. Battra Larvae looked bad@$$. Almost reminded me of a cooler version of Megalon. The adult Mothra was ok but looked a lil too fluffy. The adult Battra was cool, but its larvae form was cooler. The fights in general suffer from major beam battle syndrome though there are times i find it entertaining.

All in all, its good for a watch every now and then, but leaves a lil more to be desired.

Christopher Walken once said "It could use alil more cowbell!!!"

but i say . . .

"IT COULD USE A LITTLE MORE EYE LASERS!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH EYE LASERS" :lmfao: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"ooooo GODZILLA is "roasting" KING KONG.!!!!"
rockstarbd82
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Goji 84 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:19 pm

Lol. You really dig those eye lasers, huh? :P
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby rockstarbd82 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:10 pm

Goji 84 wrote:Lol. You really dig those eye lasers, huh? :P

As you'll see in GBR :D . Only it won't be in a "beam war" fashion.
"ooooo GODZILLA is "roasting" KING KONG.!!!!"
rockstarbd82
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:04 am

This movie is on Encore Family right now. I'd forgotten just how ridiculously awful the dub is. It makes the bridge scene even more hilarious.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:43 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:This movie is on Encore Family right now. I'd forgotten just how ridiculously awful the dub is. It makes the bridge scene even more hilarious.

"You dumb...you ba$tard! You're worse than I thoooooooooooooouuuuuuggggghhhhh--" *splash*
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:55 am

Tyler E. Martin wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:This movie is on Encore Family right now. I'd forgotten just how ridiculously awful the dub is. It makes the bridge scene even more hilarious.

"You dumb...you ba$tard! You're worse than I thoooooooooooooouuuuuuggggghhhhh--" *splash*

Of all the things, misjudging the capacity for bridges was the one thing she thought he'd never do.

That, and tossing her off of a collapsed bridge.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:28 am

"Oh no, they're getting pissed!"
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby The Real McCoy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:18 am

MouthForWar wrote:"Oh no, they're getting pissed!"

I think this movie, while being one of the worst of this particular series, can also be considered to have one of the worst dubs.

Or the funniest dub, whichever way you look at it. :P
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Destroysall » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:05 am

"G-G-GET OUT!!!!!!!!"
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby Reaper G » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:40 pm

"What IS all this?!"
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:22 pm

Reaper G wrote:"What IS all this?!"

"What's happening to our planet?!"
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:32 am

"Why are we wasting our time with this crazy guy? You Cockroach!"
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:32 am

"What's happening to our PLANETT!!?!?!?!??!"

Terrible dub or no, this movie is hilariously bad...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Destroysall » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:33 am

jellydonut25 wrote:"What's happening to our PLANETT!!?!?!?!??!"

"Now the Earth's getting it's revenge!!"
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:37 am

What's even funnier is how most of the lines don't make sense "THE EARTH IS GETTING ITS REVENGE!" How do they know that? The origin of Battra isn't really ever explained to those people, the name is passed on.

The dub just makes everyone seem crazy and hysterical. Which is kind of hilarious. I need to re-watch this film with that in mind.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:42 am

"That was too close! You were almost a Jill sandwich."
..."OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!", wrong thing.

But yeah. I feel kind of bad for dropping this movie earlier, before even finishing it. On the other hand, I don't recall the final battle scenes being very interesting or unique. All I really remember is Mothra and Battra carrying off Godzilla, Godzilla biting Battra's neck to death, and then Mothra dumping them in the ocean and casting some magical seal on the water above them. I miss the Showa days of monster fights, when the monsters actually traded physical blows until somebody died or got mauled/knocked out.
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Destroysall » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:13 am

Bruticus wrote:"That was too close! You were almost a Jill sandwich."
...OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE, wrong thing.

But yeah. I feel kind of bad for dropping this movie earlier, before even finishing it. On the other hand, I don't recall the final battle scenes being very interesting or unique. All I really remember is Mothra and Battra carrying off Godzilla, Godzilla biting Battra's neck to death, and then Mothra dumping them in the ocean and casting some magical seal on the water above them. I miss the Showa days of monster fights, when the monsters actually traded physical blows until somebody died or got mauled/knocked out.

I agree. I miss that too. It was always very exciting.

The Hesei series were all mostly Cowboy Stare Downs, then waiting for someone to roar, "DRAW!!!!"
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby Rodanex » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:52 am

Bruticus wrote: I miss the Showa days of monster fights, when the monsters actually traded physical blows until somebody died or got mauled/knocked out.

Godzilla does a pretty god job of mauling Battra's neck with his teeth.
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:02 pm

Rodanex wrote:
Bruticus wrote: I miss the Showa days of monster fights, when the monsters actually traded physical blows until somebody died or got mauled/knocked out.

Godzilla does a pretty god job of mauling Battra's neck with his teeth.

True. There's also the Godzilla/Rodan fight in GvMG2 (which is probably my favorite fight in the Heisei series), and I suppose the Godzilla/Biollante fights were fairly physical. But apart from a few other brief moments, there wasn't much in the way of brawling in the Heisei series.
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to The Heisei Era: 1984-1995