TALKBACK#18: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

Discuss the 2nd Godzilla film era here! Beam fights, revised versions of classic kaiju, the Heisei era was a mixed bag of fun and controversy!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:46 am

Gwangi wrote:
Mac wrote:Yoshio Tsuchiya as a WW2 veteran that knew Godzilla! Just so awesome.

The most remarkable thing about this movie is that Mr. Shindo (Tshuchiya) never seemed to have aged in those nearly 50 years! :o

Steady diet of Godzillar cells.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:09 am

This movie is trash. I feel like the idea of Godzilla's origin is really cool, but the UFO/Time Travel thing just feels SO OUT OF LEFT FIELD from the last two films.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:16 am

I haven't watched this in about a month or so. The last time I watched it, I turned it off about thirty minutes in because I just couldn't get myself motivated. That being said, I've always thought of this as a fun movie. It's just hard to stomach after seeing the quality of the films before it, specifically the two previous films. I won't agree that it's complete garbage, but I will agree that it was rather poorly put together. The special effects were hit-and-miss; especially Ghidorah's initial attack. It depends on how snobbish I'm feeling at the moment I guess, but on almost any day, I'd pop Godzilla vs. Megalon or Godzilla's Revenge before this.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:30 pm

MouthForWar wrote:I find the film to be fun and all, but Tsuchiya totally steals the show here. I believe he said this was his favorite role after Seven Samurai and the Human Vapor. Say what you want about the movie, but his performance really is great.

Tsuchiya's role and really everything dealing with the Godzilla origin stand as my favorite things about the film.

It's just, well, the stuff about Ghidorah/The Futurians that doesn't sit right with me.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Wow, I never posted in here after the last time I rewatched this? CRAZY. Especially considering that I - king_ghidorah, you may want to sit down for this - LIKED IT.

I know. I was just as surprised as you are.

It's still a bad movie, don't get me wrong, but when I finally got to see it in widescreen and in its original language, I was able to fully embrace how utterly ludicrous the plot is. I love that the movie can be summarized along these general lines:

Our Heroes: "Oh, so Godzilla's gone more or less comatose. That's cool."

Time Travelers: "Well, we can get rid of him for good!"

Our Heroes: "Really? Sweet!"

Time Travelers: "Yeah, it's pretty cool. Check it out, he's gone!"

Our Heroes: "OH F*CK. KING GHIDORAH'S GOING TO KILL US ALL!"

Time Travelers: "AH-HA!"

One of Our Heroes: "Guys! IDEA. LET'S REMAKE GODZILLA SO HE CAN TAKE OUT GHIDORAH."

The Rest of Our Heroes: "OH MAN, THAT IS A GREAT IDEA."

Time Travelers: "That is a terrible ide-- OH SH------"

Our Heroes: "AW, F*CK. NOW GODZILLA'S GOING TO KILL US ALL!"

Another One of Our Heroes: "GUYS. I HAVE. THE BEST. IDEA."

The Rest of Our Heroes: "What?"

Another One of Our Heroes: "WE RESURRECT KING GHIDORAH TO SAVE US."

The Rest of Our Heroes: "..."

"YOU'RE RIGHT! IT'S BRILLIANT! THERE'S NO WAY THIS CAN GO WRONG."

-- in a perfect world, this loop would continue on ad infinitum.

ALSO, while the effects ARE a huge step down from Biollante, the miniatures are more impressive than I originally gave them credit for (albeit with a few crummy shots that foreshadow the lows of future films) and the Shinjuku set actually made me feel a stirring beneath my utility belt. Look, I even took screencaptures of it, I was so impressed!

So yeah. I didn't do a TOTAL 180 but I could see myself watching this more often now.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:42 pm

See, I don't mind a ludicrous Godzilla movie, but to come right after the semi-grounded (barring psychic girl/plantnonsense) Godzilla 1984/vs. Biollante?

Ugh.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Yeah, no, I'm equally disapproving of that, to be honest. I've more or less divorced the 80s and 90s films from each other in my mind.

And I've still got PLENTY of bones to pick this particular movie but I HAVE found a way I can enjoy it. Also, the twenty or so minutes of film between Ghidorah's death and rebirth as Mecha-Ghidorah are pretty great on its own merits. Then the time travel plot kicks back in and I have to do my best not to be annoyed and get back into the ludicrous mindset. :lol:
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Sounds like more work than this film deserves.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:28 pm

I never said it made sense! I dunno, I'm just mildly pleased that there's one more Godzilla film I don't mind watching. And a 90s film at that!
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Goji 84 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:43 pm

"This movie is trash" is pretty harsh, even for a Heisei film, but to each his own. As silly as the plot may be, at least the film manages to be more entertaining then the shlock that followed, IMOHO.

All of the 90's films suck, but this one is my personal favorite.
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:20 pm

I actually find it hard to defend this film :lol: .

I just hate time travel movies because they rarely, if ever, make sense.

But, there's a likable lead I guess, and an interesting premise. Two great kaiju fights, some great minatures and a great score.

This film is just so darned silly though (unintentionally so) that I find it hard to sit through. Especially considering what two films it came after (as others have said)
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:32 pm

If this movie didn't have the worst time-travel plot of all-time, it'd probably be my second-favorite Heisei film.
The monster fights are the best of the "beam-era", the new origins for the monsters is kinda neat, the actors are decent if not good, and the pacing is pretty spot-on.

But dear LORD, the time-travel stuff bogs it down so badly...still, at least it doesn't get annoyingly preachy like the next couple of films.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:52 pm

I wonder if someone can back me up on this but as I've always stated that I felt that they had to go through the time-travel thing (even igonring the fact that it actually leads to the events of the Heisei series as a whole) as what they wrote in Godzilla vs Biollante seemed to show that humanity (with Biollante's help) actually managed to defeat Godzilla (via use of the ANEB).
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:19 pm

I don't think anything justifies the time travel. They managed to subdue him not defeat him entirely. I don't think they HAD to go this route.

In fact, the best route I could see is that some new threat, occurring either through science craziness/space arose. Biollante never really terrorized Japan, it was most concerned with Godzilla. It'd be neat to have them face the same dilemma of GvsKG of "Do we revive Godzilla/Create a new one?" The moment when a new threat shows up that truly can't be stopped except, maybe, by Godzilla. It'd be neater to focus on the dilemma instead of dealing with the nonsense about time traveling.

Plus, we'd get to keep the cool stuff about Godzilla's origin. It'd still be relevant.

That, ideally, would have been a nice follow up to VS Biollante.

Instead we got THIS. LE SIGH.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:06 am

Yeah, how hard would it be to state that Godzilla could be revived by a massive dose of radiation, thus overpowering the ANEB?
or that they've invented an ANEB inhibitor to use?

there's more than one way to skin a cat, unfortunately, Toho in this case decided they wanted to try to build a new type of cat without any skin in the first place and the result was ugly.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:24 am

jellydonut25 wrote:Yeah, how hard would it be to state that Godzilla could be revived by a massive dose of radiation, thus overpowering the ANEB?

there's more than one way to skin a cat, unfortunately, Toho in this case decided they wanted to try to build a new type of cat without any skin in the first place and the result was ugly.
:lol:
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:32 am

jellydonut25 wrote:Yeah, how hard would it be to state that Godzilla could be revived by a massive dose of radiation, thus overpowering the ANEB?

With what we got with Godzilla vs Mothra 92 and to a lesser extent Space-Godzilla I have to agree. Ain't that a surprise coming from a guy like me.
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:32 am

MouthForWar wrote:I find the film to be fun and all, but Tsuchiya totally steals the show here. I believe he said this was his favorite role after Seven Samurai and the Human Vapor. Say what you want about the movie, but his performance really is great.

It's unfortunate that Tsuchiya was not available for the part of Malmess the assassin in a much superior Ghidrah movie. I reckon that could have been one of his favorite roles in a G-film. Alas, it wasn't to be, but forunately for Hisaya Ito, it turned out to be his best known part in a kaiju. :th-up:

In regards to this film, I thought it had some neat ideas (namely looking at Godzilla's orgin), and maybe some day, someone will actually make a good movie out of it!
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:33 am

OK where do I start on this movie?

So Godzilla's "origin" is finally explained (sort of), and when he roars as the dinosaur he sounds like Gamera. Then the time traveling people put the cute dorats in his place, so they become King Ghidorah.

Then they have to stop Godzilla cause he is even meaner & nastier than before (not to mention larger). So they make Mecha King Ghidorah, which gets rid of Godzilla for now.

Plus we have the whole infamous dub line that I mentioned elsewhere (Major Speilburg!)

Then we have semi-incest since Emi is somehow related to the author.

Anyhow this movie is rather odd. Though I did kind of want one of those Dorats since they were cute.

The one thing that really bothered me about this, was they used some other sound effect for King Ghidorah's cries, I much prefer the sort of chirping/harp sounding cackles, instead of the rather generic roars they used in this one.

If your wondering, yes I am going to comment on every Godzilla movie.
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:26 am

Watched this movie earlier and I still enjoy it a lot, but I have to admit, the time traveling plot if pretty far fetched. I mean, I understand they did not want to bring aliens into this series, but time travelers to me is the same thing. They are aliens of time instead of aliens of space. Anyway, the effects are great and Godzilla looks pretty bad ass (although not as great as the costume in Biollante). However, it is King Ghidorah that steals the show here for he is just down right incredible looking. Plus, the concept of Mecha-Ghidorah was pretty cool to see as it had not been done before. Overall, I really love this movie, even if it is not the best of the Heisei series.

Oh yeah, and AWESOME RUNNING ACTION!!!
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby briizilla » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:47 pm

I gotta disagree about KG. I think the Showa version is better designed and better executed. Plus he has a distinct roar unlike the bland roar in this movie.
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:36 pm

Yeah, barring Kaiser Ghidorah, I think this is the worst incarnation of Ghidorah.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Mac » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:16 pm

Death Ghidorah and Pedophilia Ghidorah disagree with you.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:34 pm

Mac wrote:Death Ghidorah and Pedophilia Ghidorah disagree with you.

I just spoke to them and they were okay with what I said, so I dunno what you're talking about.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Mac » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:45 pm

I don't like that Heisei Ghidorah has become the de-facto Ghidorah, but he's imposing for the majority of the film. It's a little weird when he gets subjugated as Mecha-King Ghidorah, but I'll let it slide.

Death Ghidorah has this weird hunch-back problem and doesn't really do anything the whole time. And for as much "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" that Kaneko's Ghidorah gets, at least he wasn't a kiddie covet-er. I don't care how nice his design was.

And I like Keizer Ghidorah. His design is wonky, but he's menacing, and he gave Godzilla a run for his money. Up until that point Godzilla hadn't really been put in any significant danger, so it was a nice change of pace.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to The Heisei Era: 1984-1995