TALKBACK#18: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

Discuss the 2nd Godzilla film era here! Beam fights, revised versions of classic kaiju, the Heisei era was a mixed bag of fun and controversy!

Moderator: Controllers

TALKBACK#18: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:16 pm

It is this film that estalblishes the tone for the rest of the Heisei series. After the failure of Biollante at the box office the films began to harken back to the '60s films in tone (though not as good, and how could they be without the dream team they had back then?) and the committee-style approach to creative decisions meant a somewhat schizophrenic style (here's something to attract women, this is for kids, older fans will like that - but not blended together cohesively, leading to a patchwork feel).

The special effect take a step down from the wonderful realized visuals in Bio. It's nice to see King Ghidorah embark in city destruction again, but it's amazing how much better such scenes were done in Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster and Monster Zero.

...and if the story in the last film was slightly muddled than this one is extremely so! How do they remember Godzilla once he's be erased from history? Why does Ghidorah only suddenly appear? Why is the American military so darn fey? Mind you, the unese about Japan's economic power is a neat idea, and it harkens back to Atragon in a way, in terms of introspection about Japanese society.

I don't hate this movie at all, in fact I really enjoy the last 45 minutes as the story becomes much more focused when Godzilla shows up. The switch from Godzilla saving everyone to being the threat is well pulled off.

-That may be the biggest complaint from me about the post-Showa movies: they're too long and have too much going on that doesn't all tie up in the end! The Showa films were an hour and a half and tightly plotted and better for it.

Before I go I'd like to say that The Futurians' clothes remind me of Arnold Rimmer's costumes in the show Red Dwarf. I guess it's a 23rd century thing.
Last edited by lhb412 on Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: TALKBACK#18: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

Postby Legion » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:47 pm

lhb412 wrote:The special effect take a step down from the wonderful realized visuals in Bio. It's nice to see King Ghidorah embark in city destruction again, but it's amazing how much better such scenes were done in Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster and Monster Zero.

There are some good effects in this movie. Godzilla is still realized very well and the improvements to the Bio-Goji costumes make him look better than ever. Mechaghidora is also a very cool design and it's battle with Godzilla is one of the better ones from this era.

But King Ghidora himself is a huge let-down. Aside from the ridiculous new origin Ghidora's new design is too derivative of Tsuburaya's original to really make much of an impact. And it's unforgivable that the majority of the Ghidora effects are nowhere near as good as they were in the 1960s. Using a motionless flying prop just as stiff as the one in Godzilla vs Gigan is unforgivable. And why did they change Ghidora's roar? Why??

And while Godzillasaurus has a cool design, the sequence in which he appears is embarrassingly bad, as a fake prop tail swings around hitting those horrible actors playing the American soliders.

And don't get me started with the appalling special effects that are applied to M-11 and the rest of the human characters.

...and if the story in the last film was slightly muddled than this one is extremely so! How do they remember Godzilla once he's be erased from history? Why does Ghidorah only suddenly appear?

The time travel plot of the movie actually does make sense when explained. It's just that for almost 18 years, even when the intent of the filmmakers is explained to them, most people are outright confused by this movie. The fact that for almost 20 years people still have no idea what's going on in regards to Godzilla vs King Ghidora indicates horribly unclear film making. However, this sort of nonsense is pretty typical of most of the Heisei entries.

I don't hate this movie at all, in fact I really enjoy the last 45 minutes as the story becomes much more focused when Godzilla shows up. The switch from Godzilla saving everyone to being the threat is well pulled off.

Yes, the last 45 minutes or so of this movie definitely is pretty good. But it really doesn't excuse how inept the rest of the film is. I used to love this movie. But as time goes by it slowly sinks down to the lower half of my list of favorite Heisei films.

That may be the biggest complaint from me about the post-Showa movies: they're too long and have too much going on that doesn't all tie up in the end! The Showa films were an hour and a half and tightly plotted and better for it.

Amen.
Last edited by Legion on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Mac » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:49 pm

It's a decent entry. The film shadows what's to come (The worst films in the Godzilla series), but I generally like how a lot of things are handled (Like you mentioned, the switch-up that Godzilla is the bad guy). The only things that really bug me anymore are the Dorats and M-11.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby zekend01 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:41 pm

Yeah, I'm with you guys. This film definitely hasn't aged well.

I don't mind the new origin for KG, per-say, but the overall execution was flat. Weak costume with wobbly horns, and they changed his astral cries (for GOD'S SAKE). The mecha version has lost its luster to me over time too and the props of MKG and Goji flying out to sea, with its stiffness and obvious model-looking aspects, was NOT a good bookend to that battle! Noooo sir.

Some folks might find the scene where Godzilla toasted Yasuaki Shindo to be pretty touching, but I found it... odd. Why would Godzilla even CARE about, much less notice some puny human?!? I just don't, or don't want to, get it. I dunno... takes away from the credibility of the more animalistic/force of nature version of Godzilla that I prefer. Probably why I hated the tail slam so much too. I will say that this is my favorite Godzilla suit of all time.:rockon:

The potential of the plot was kinda cool actually, just wrought with too many paradoxes that require too much thinking while viewing the film. I don't want to worry about why everyone remembers a Godzilla that had, technically, never existed or if Biollante is still floating around in orbit! In fact, WHY did the Futurians even NEED to take all the modern day folks back with them in time to move the Godzillasaurus, much less make a stop in the "present" to tell Japan's leaders of their intent to do so in the flippin FIRST PLACE?!? Silly.

I did enjoy the inept military boys and the M-1 FX coupled with the weird futuristic music (cracks me the f%$# up)!! Wilson and Grenchiko are good cheesy fun and Emmy is super fine and quite the hottie-boom-buh-lottie-karate!!
"If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone." - Lenny Bruce
http://www.myspace.com/cretinfunk
http://www.myspace.com/prometheuscomplex
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:11 pm

zekend01 wrote:and they changed his astral cries (for GOD'S SAKE).

I reiterate. WHY??

and the props of MKG and Goji flying out to sea, with its stiffness and obvious model-looking aspects, was NOT a good bookend to that battle! Noooo sir.

And Toho thought it worked so well that they repeated the sequence almost verbatim the following year, even made sure to top it in awkwardness by having it change from night to day within the span of a few seconds. So go figure.

Probably why I hated the tail slam so much too.

Tail slam?

In fact, WHY did the Futurians even NEED to take all the modern day folks back with them in time to move the Godzillasaurus, much less make a stop in the "present" to tell Japan's leaders of their intent to do so in the flippin FIRST PLACE?!? Silly.

Probably because they wanted to recall what the Xians did in Monster Zero. But when the Xians did it, it was cool. Here it's just stupid. Apparently betrayal somehow makes the villains more interesting. Not here.

Surprised Ifukube's score hasn't been mentioned yet. :wink:

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Mac » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:26 pm

Ifukube's score is barely worth mentioning because it's all recompositions. I love the guy's work, but it's rehashed (I'm sure it was Toho's idea).
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:36 pm

Mac wrote:Ifukube's score is barely worth mentioning because it's all recompositions. I love the guy's work, but it's rehashed (I'm sure it was Toho's idea).

Not only was it rehashed but the movie basically takes the same three tunes - Godzilla's theme, Ghidora's theme and the battle theme that was ripped from King Kong vs Godzilla - and uses them for almost all the monster scenes. At a certain point in this series I found myself getting really tired of the Godzilla theme as it was used (with little variation) in two films in a row. As far as I'm concerned (blasphemy I know) Godzilla's theme from the 1960s should have been his main theme throughout the '90s. And who thought reusing the KKvsG battle theme was a good idea here?

IMHO, the biggest musical mistake is using a soulless version of the DAM military march during an entirely forgettable military mobilization scene towards the beginning of the movie. Why not pump the music up and bring it back when the maser tanks fight Godzilla later in the movie, instead of using the Godzillasaurus theme during this sequence?

Ifukube's themes in the Heisei movies were certainly better than the alternative, but to be honest the only one of his scores from this era that I think is strong as a whole is the score from Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby zekend01 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:43 pm

^^I like the military mobilization theme. The dogfight with KG theme... not so much.

Anyways, Legion, you know: when Godzilla grabs KG by the tails and Whamo! :lol: But I would like to say that the removal of the middle head via atomic blast was rather satisfying. A definite highlight!

:D
"If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone." - Lenny Bruce
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:53 pm

zekend01 wrote:^^I like the military mobilization theme. The dogfight with KG theme... not so much.

Did you know that was a piece of music written for the Ostinato performance from the 1980s? Even with Ifukube at the helm the music editors weren't above using stock tracks. Of course the dogfight is pretty pathetic for other more glaring reasons.

Anyways, Legion, you know: when Godzilla grabs KG by the tails and Whamo! :lol:

Oh yeah. That. That was the moment when I realized the Heisei films would end up having the same physics/gravity issues the Showa films had. That entire sequence fails because at no point are Ghidora's tails pulled taut, either to show Ghidora struggling to get away or Godzilla's effort to pull him back down.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby zekend01 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:10 pm

^^AINT IT THE TRUTH! :lmfao:

At the same time, the animatronics for Godzilla were a step up, I felt. Smoother integration maybe?
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:16 pm

zekend01 wrote:At the same time, the animatronics for Godzilla were a step up, I felt. Smoother integration maybe?

Maybe because almost all the new footage of the animatronic head was filmed in daytime lighting. It's worth pointing out that a few stock shots of the robot from Biollante was snuck into the maser attack, with the footage being flipped in order to disguise it.

But what's with Godzilla's face after he blows up the Mother ship?

I remember when I first got a copy of this film thanks to a bootleg VHS tape I purchased from the Yaohan marketplace in NJ in the Summer of '92. I remember I had to wait an entire weekend because the marketplace was only the first stop on a family trip to Atlantic City. I ended up watching this movie for the first time in my family's living room with the volume on low at around 2am when we got home that Sunday. Not really the best way to watch a Godzilla movie, but I loved it then. Back then every new Heisei film became my favorite Godzilla film. Heh, now I know better.

For anyone who thinks the Heisei series are the best Godzilla films...eventually you do grow up.
Last edited by Legion on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:27 pm

Legion wrote:Ifukube's themes in the Heisei movies were certainly better than the alternative, but to be honest the only one of his scores from this era that I think is strong as a whole is the score from Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla.

Quoted for Truth.

Will post full thoughts on the film when I have more time.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby heroforhirerob » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:52 pm

Legion wrote:
zekend01 wrote:^^I like the military mobilization theme. The dogfight with KG theme... not so much.

Did you know that was a piece of music written for the Ostinato performance from the 1980s? Even with Ifukube at the helm the music editors weren't above using stock tracks. Of course the dogfight is pretty pathetic for other more glaring reasons.

Anyways, Legion, you know: when Godzilla grabs KG by the tails and Whamo! :lol:

Oh yeah. That. That was the moment when I realized the Heisei films would end up having the same physics/gravity issues the Showa films had. That entire sequence fails because at no point are Ghidora's tails pulled taut, either to show Ghidora struggling to get away or Godzilla's
effort to pull him back down.

Actually, that dogfight theme is from Rodan....and was reorchestrated for Ostinato....
heroforhirerob
Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:55 pm

heroforhirerob wrote:Actually, that dogfight theme is from Rodan....and was reorchestrated for Ostinato....

Oh, I know. I guess I could have been a little more specific.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby heroforhirerob » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:00 pm

Legion wrote:
heroforhirerob wrote:Actually, that dogfight theme is from Rodan....and was reorchestrated for Ostinato....

Oh, I know. I guess I could have been a little more specific.

Ah...I was just being defensive...as I liked that theme...though it didn't really seem to work as well in this film. Works fine as a stand alone listen IMO...specially the Ostinato version.
heroforhirerob
Godzilla

Postby walshiam » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:56 pm

I think the real letdown to this story was Ghidorah's origin. Surely Toho could have come up with something better than dorats. That for me just took the King right out of King Ghidorah.
walshiam
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:27 am

I remember being PUMPED the first time I was going to see this movie...

anybody remember when the Heisei films started getting released here? - not the point, really but I just know that it was a LONG time from when they were first released in Japan

and oh man, the letdown...

when reading 'the official godzilla compendium' these movies were given such glowing reviews that my mind built them to be essentially on equal level with biollante, i was so confused and appalled by the FX in this movie...(outside of the monster battles which are quite good)

but more so at the HORRID sound fx...it's like watching a cartoon or something...

i've grown to like this movie more over time (especially in how it shines like a gem amongst some of the other Heisei films) but even know, I can barely get over my initial disappointment

the plot is really a confused mess - not the least of my problems is Emi essentially creating Ghidorah and then being mad when he exists!

When I watch this movie, it's almost always in fast forwards and chapter skips until Godzilla appears...
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby heroforhirerob » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:08 pm

This was the first of the Heisei series I saw and I liked it quite a bit....at the time...before I had seen any other Heisei film. Having seen it several times since then...I can safely say it's a total mixed bag...mostly bad...

-Ifukube's music...while always nice to hear...is weaker here than in any of the other Heisei films. And most of the themes(i.e Ghidorah's) were better done in the 60's.

-Godzilla looks fantastic. He's easily the best thing about the film. He probably looks better in this film than in any other film of the Heisei era.

- Yoshio Tsuchiya is always watchable....in this film..he's the only human character that IS watchable..and his is a bit part. At least there's some female eye candy I suppose.

-King Ghidorah looks crappy. There's a scene of him flying over the city...and the center head wobbles in an incredibly phony manner. Horrible. How could Ghidorah look WORSE than a film made 25 years earlier? Inexcusible. The city destruction scenes are also weaker than in 1964. Hard to believe....or maybe not.

-While I applaud the attempt at a serious sci-fi plot..the time travel execution is horrible for reasons that have been mentioned probably a thousand times by now. Yes...I'm sure there are those who can explain the timeline to the rest of us...but honestly..it shouldn't take that much effort for the freaking movie to make sense.

-FX for M-11....beyond horrible...maybe some of the worst effects ever in a Toho film. They could have just had him run normally and it would have been more convincing. In fairness.....I don't blame the actor for any of this....but geez...I wince every time I see it...it is SOOOOO awful.

-Mecha Ghidorah comes off better than expected. He doesn't look too bad either....as I expect a cyborg to be stiff and relatively lifeless. :roll:

The film isn't all bad....but god bless it is overated beyond compare. Inferior to all other Heisei entries except Space Godzilla.
heroforhirerob
Godzilla

Postby Shonokin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:55 pm

I kept this article from when the film first came out.
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby zekend01 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:23 am

Wow! I recall all of that bad noise, though more from the pages of G Fan AFTER the fact.

Maybe the America-bashing was a little unfounded, but I kinda figure that every Godzilla movie is anti-U.S.A. at its core. Nuclear themed, but more to the point, the nuclear bomb.

But to me, if I may take it a little farther, it's less about the scar the bombings left, and more about the healing process with Japan's post-war recovery. Godzilla movies began to come across as more of an acceptance and then the moving on from it.

You take a bomb allegory and over time this cultural sore spot becomes a super hero?... that would seem to be all about healing to me. 8-)
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:41 am

I love this movie and I especially love the plot. The twists and turns are ridiculous but also so much fun. It's just a fun to watch movie overall. I don't disagree about what's wrong with this movie, but it's just so much fun. The cheesy effects didn't bother me either.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:38 pm

This movie is almost as mixed a bag for me as "The Return of Godzilla."

To start off with the big criticisms, there's the whole time-travel thing, obviously. :? To be so central to the plot, it's just a freaking disaster. Yes, it makes sense when explained by such a dedicated fan as Keith Aiken (whose efforts did increase my respect for the film), but watching the movie on one's own, it's incredibly difficult to make heads or tails of it. Of course, there are some pretty terrible effects, though I also find a good number of them to be quite impressive. The sequence with the Godzillasaurus killing the American soldiers is wretchedly executed, though I have to admit that the acting in said sequence always manages to get a hearty laugh or two out of me.

As far as the characters are concerned, while there's really nothing to them, I find them more tolerable than the majority of the characters in the other Heisei films. In this regard especially, it really helps to see this one in Japanese with subtitles, as the dubbing destroys anything about the picture that could make me want to watch it, much less care about the human characters. It's great seeing Yoshio Tsuchiya again, even though I think the material he's given doesn't give him nearly the opportunity to flex his acting muscles as it should.

While King Ghidorah is a letdown, Mecha-King Ghidorah fares noticeably better, and Godzilla looks just about as good as he's ever looked. I love this suit. It's got a very powerful build and an expression that makes it look genuinely ferocious. The animatronic work is quite nice as well.

I know there are a lot of grievances about the score, and I'll be the first to admit being disappointed that there's very little new material, but even so, it's great to have Ifukube back. The new arrangements of his classic themes, while as always repetitive, give the movie a much grander feel than it would have had otherwise. Hearing the pieces rearranged and pumped up to such an epic level, especially Ghidorah's theme, gives the film quite a bit of weight (of which it could use every bit).

To conclude, I do find quite a few aspects of this film to be frustrating and embarrassing, but there's also a lot that draws me to it. I find myself watching this more often than most of the other movies from this period.
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:47 pm

I used to love this. I remember how amazed I was when I saw this at my local wal-mart. Mainly because I just assumed I'd never get to see the rest of the Heisei series. I enjoy the film still, but I do consider it pretty weak. Hell, nowadays I consider almost every Heisei film weak. I loved King Ghidorah's look for the film, but I still prefer the Showa suit. The thing I remember enjoying the most as a kid was the WWII Lagos Island Godzilla origin story.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:25 am

Far and away, this is my favorite Heisei Godzilla movie. Everything just clicks here for me. It's got characters with personality who are enjoyable to watch, veteran and newcomer actors who carry the film through every last twist and turn, a marvelous score by Ifukube, and some impressively realized action sequences and set pieces.

But most importantly, it's fun. Engaging, realism-defying, balls-to-the-wall fun. Monsters, time travel, androids, dinosaurs, WWII, car chases, city destruction, laser battles, futuristic technology and Yoshio Tsuchiya getting personally nuked by Godzilla in his office are all woven together into a vivacious, improbably coherent plot. Though it's definitely very sloppily written, the story is so imaginative, so delectably convoluted, and so downright interesting that it's the one Heisei flick I can watch at any given time and enjoy thoroughly from beginning to end. It's never, ever boring.

I was nine years old the first time I saw this film, on a rented VHS tape from Blockbuster. I remember watching M-11 crash his car while chasing Terasawa and Emi. As he stood up and brushed himself off, the music faded out and the only sound that remained was that of the flames behind him. I watched in utter suspense, the tension drawing out, wondering what this robot would do next to try and catch our heroes.....

...And then all of a sudden, just like that, he sprints forward. Not with the aid of special effects, mind you, but in super sped-up motion, as an absolutely ridiculous music cue kicks in which could not have been more befitting of the scene.

Cut to an obligatory close-up of M-11's face in super sped-up motion, followed by a shot that's made to appear that he's casually cruising alongside the car at a brisk pace. Hell, he even turns and waves our heroes a friendly howdy.

No question whatsoever. This is my favorite Heisei film.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby zekend01 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:26 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:I was nine years old the first time I saw this film, on a rented VHS tape from Blockbuster. I remember watching M-11 crash his car while chasing Terasawa and Emi. As he stood up and brushed himself off, the music faded out and the only sound that remained was that of the flames behind him. I watched in utter suspense, the tension drawing out, wondering what this robot would do next to try and catch our heroes.....

...And then all of a sudden, just like that, he sprints forward. Not with the aid of special effects, mind you, but in super sped-up motion, as an absolutely ridiculous music cue kicks in which could not have been more befitting of the scene.

Cut to an obligatory close-up of M-11's face in super sped-up motion, followed by a shot that's made to appear that he's casually cruising alongside the car at a brisk pace. Hell, he even turns and waves our heroes a friendly howdy.

That's why I'm about to pop it in and watch it right now. M11 BABY.
zekend01
Godzilla

Next

Return to The Heisei Era: 1984-1995