TALKBACK #17: Godzilla vs. Biollante

Discuss the 2nd Godzilla film era here! Beam fights, revised versions of classic kaiju, the Heisei era was a mixed bag of fun and controversy!

Moderator: Controllers

TALKBACK #17: Godzilla vs. Biollante

Postby lhb412 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:13 am

This is my favorite Heisei film.

This film has a lot of interesting concepts: the terrorist orginization threatening to release Godzilla from his volcanic prison, a psychic organization that acts a first warning system when Godzilla reappears, genetic engineering providing both a new weapon against Godzilla and a new monster foe.

The bad thing is that there are so many subplots and characters that it's all a bit muddled and all of these things need a bit more emphasis then they get. It took several viewings of this film to sort out all that is exactly going on.

The special effects are really well done in this film. Godzilla looks great and Biollante's two designs are beautiful. The miniatures look great and the animation of Godzilla's ray and all the other beams and lightning bolts and lasers are as good. This movie has the most striking visuals of any non-Showa era film.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:01 am

This is probably my favorite G film. The soundtrack is awesome, the story is different and the characters aren't all that bad and Biollante is an AMAZING suit. The final battle sequence with the military and then Bio taking on Godzilla is absolutely amazing even to this day.

Also, just like the campy 70's movies, this film has plenty to laugh at as well, which is another huge swing in its favor. It's like the best of both worlds!
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby G2KMaster » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:39 am

This film is just as good as 1984 IMO. Except for better characters. That is one thing this film has which is better than the aforementioned films. There is no real negative points in this film, except for something like too many characters. The film was very original, be it maybe too original - maybe being a reason why it bombed. But this is one of the better efforts which is now in the Showa era. 9/10...
G2KMaster

Postby Mac » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:20 am

Good, solid flick. Not much more else to say. Shame this failed at the box office, but I doubt we would have seen any more "original" stuff.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby zekend01 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:30 am

One of my favorite top 3 Godzilla movies of all time ever. It holds up well to repeated viewings for me, and it's one of the G movies I show to my non-g-fan friends.

This is just one EPIC Godzilla movie. I don't mind the multitude of characters at all! It's really neat to watch them deal with all the situations as they unfold. This movie has conflicting ideologies that work quite well in the context of this movie, and the issues of terrorism and genetic engineering still holds up more than ever. Most of the characters that move the plot along aren't just simple good/bad black/white types, and the true villains have some sass to them (the Bio-Major terrorists come to mind, love those guys). Gondo's a scene stealer, and a pleasure to watch every time, a man's man.

I wish the psychic plot line had more fruit to bare as the series went on. Seems like it peeked pretty early with this movie. I still get chills when those psychic kids all hold up their pictures of Godzilla, who they dreamed would be soon returning from the night before. Just the look on Asuka Okouchi's face as the realization fell it to place!! MAAAAAAAN! The music kicks in and I'm swimming in anticipation!

The monsters were fan-tabulous in design. Godzilla was especially well performed, though I prefer his more polished look in the following movie. Biollante, while beautiful, didn't quite fulfill her true potential. The vines didn't always convince me, and her biting down on Godzilla got harder to look at after repeated viewings. Guess I wish it didn't look quite so rigid! :roll:

The only other thing I could grumble about was Erica's spectral face appearing as Biolante dissolved. Very kitschy looking.

BUT WHAT AM I GRIPING ON ABOUT?!? If Godzilla 1984 had atmosphere, this one had scope and urgency. The ultimate Us against HIM Godzilla movie. The script totally sold me on the whole "building dread" thing as the characters reacted to the inevitable return of Godzilla.

But it was a nice balance in these characters that never let this movie get too DARK. Their worry coupled with their humanity, seen through their frailty and resolve and ego. Very satisfying. It amazes me when folks see these characters as one dimensional. Is it just the dubbing? I dunno....

So all in all, F' YEAH!!! to this gem. Just wish it would/could make it to DVD at some point in the same format as the awesome media blasters releases.

Here's to hoping.
"If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone." - Lenny Bruce
http://www.myspace.com/cretinfunk
http://www.myspace.com/prometheuscomplex
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby Reaper G » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:04 pm

One word comes to mind:

BOING!
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby zekend01 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:38 pm

Reaper G wrote:BOING!

HUH? :?

Like a ball bounces?

Or like a Woodrow gets woody? :lmfao:
Last edited by zekend01 on Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone." - Lenny Bruce
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Man oh man alive, I love this film! And I feel like my desire to reach the Heisei era has (thus far) been well-deserved.

I enjoyed the direct-sequel atmosphere in this one, it makes sense, it works and it SERVES THE PLOT. there is so much suspense and dread built up throughout the movie of 'when will Godzilla return?' and when he finally does, it's well-worth the wait. Godzilla has never looked better

The espionage theme here too, all works really well as it ties directly into the characters and their actions and the characters have vested interest in what the monsters are up to, in particular Shiragami wanting to prove the Biollante is not just a monster

My only gripe is the shot of Erika inside the pollen-stuff which was entirely unnecessary, like an unnecessary narration. the only thing we needed was Miki saying, "Biollante says thanks." and then Shiragami saying, "Erika!" to confirm that yes, Biollante WAS more than just a monster even in her most monstrous state.

Godzilla's a true menace here, but I also find it interesting that he's not so much hell-bent on destruction as he is just a victim of mankind trying to exploit each other (all the scenes that deal with Godzilla cells and how we could end up doing WORSE than Godzilla, not to mention Godzilla actually being USED as a hostage/ransom reinforce this idea)

the idea of creating the Super XII is actually pretty awesome here too...the Super X which wasnt TECHNICALLY designed to fight Godzilla fared quite well, so why not try to actually create something DESIGNED to fight Godzilla??

All in all, i just really like this movie and like someone else said, it's a shame that it fared so poorly at the box office while rehashes and remakes during the Heisei era did so well...it pretty much dictated the fact that we wouldn't be getting any/many more original ideas again (i used any/many since everyone's idea of what constitutes an original idea can be a bit flexible)
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby kent » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:34 pm

I find the film to be entertaining but don't see all the hoopla surrounding the film like most fans do. It has an interesting story but doesn't delve too deep into it, the score is one of the least exciting ones in the entire franchise, and I find the characters to be *yawn*.

The action sequences are what makes this movie enjoyable for me. The battles with Biollante are neat but disappointing in that they all involve distance attacks. The design of the final Biollante form is awesome but I don't find the execution to be OMG PWNZ! like some people. The thing stays stationary much of the time anyways.

I do like, and enjoy, the movie. The battles are neat and the story is, somewhat, intriguing. I just don't find it to be this gem that others do.
kent
Little Godzilla

Postby Rodanex » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:41 pm

Reaper G wrote:One word comes to mind:

BOING!

LOL I was thinking that, too.
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby zekend01 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:59 pm

Where you guys holding hands when that happened, then? :D
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:03 pm

Lol :lol:
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:43 pm

This was the first Heisei movie I ever saw. It's still my favorite. I love all the crazy plots, and I love Biollante. It's a cool kaiju, and the Godzilla suit looks great. I just remember, this is one of the few Heisei films I watched as often as other classics like Monster Zero and Destroy All Monsters. I also enjoyed the score....even though it was all of the friggen place. That's how it felt to me at times anyhow. I need to rewatch it. Biollante might be the real thing that makes me love this film. The final form looks so massive and amazing, plus it's an original kaiju so Woo-Hoo! for that. It remains one of my favorite G-Films to this day.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:20 pm

zekend01 wrote:Where you guys holding hands when that happened, then? :D

They're refering to the sound effect when the helmeted Saradian dude gets hit over the head.

...but perhaps you knew that and instead went for the zinger.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby zekend01 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:55 pm

I've been guilty of worse so you never know.... :wink:
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby Rodanex » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:02 am

This movie is awesome. the characters are great, the story is great, and the effects are some of the best in the series, I think. My only complaint is the score is really uneven; at times it fits perfectly, and at others it's just terrible. Also, I think this Godzilla suit is the best in the series.
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby zekend01 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:46 am

^^^ Yeah, come to think of it, that Super X 2 theme is kinda jarring.
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby Rodanex » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:49 pm

I actually like the Super X-2 theme.

There's this other, ridiculously happy sounding motive that gets used periodically throughout the film usually in the middle of action sequences. It goes from being really tense sounding and then switches into this weird almost video-game-esque sound. You can hear it when Biollante is attacking the Saradian agent in Shiragami's lab.
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:07 pm

This is probably my favorite out of all the Heisei films.

Pretty solid story, characters that I can actually find myself caring about, and consistently terrific effects give "Biollante" an edge against the other films from this era.

The designs for Godzilla and both forms of Biollante are very well-conceived and executed wonderfully. The rest of the effects are very nicely done as well, considerably better than the movies that followed.

I agree with Rodanex's comments on the score. Sometimes it works perfectly, but other times, it's very out of place, especially the Slavic dance-sounding theme previously mentioned.

One minor beef is the whole idea of the Super-X 2 being remotely controlled...it takes a lot of the excitement out of the action sequences that could easily have been there. Though I guess from the standpoint of safety, it makes a lot of sense.

The fact that I've only seen the dubbed version of this movie and still find it to be better than the other Heisei films says a lot about it. It may not be perfect, but it's a heck of a lot of fun.

Burning question: What in the heck does the Biomajor guy say when the Saradian agent shows up? I got "Sh-t, damn! We..." but I can't distinguish the rest of it. It really bothers me. A lot.
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Kaiju Nexus » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:58 pm

I could go on and on about G vs Biollante, but so much of my feelings about this film have already been stated by many others in this thread.

Suffice it to say, this is my favorite Godzilla film. Love G's look. Love Biollante. Love Super-X 2. Love the soundtrack. Love the story. Love the movie.

(Pictures this like just make me appreciate how raw, dark, and brutal this film is; especially the final battle. Just awesome)

"Because, if we didn't debate over silly nonsense, we wouldn't be fans. :) "

- pocketmego
Kaiju Nexus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Rodanex » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:42 am

Tyler E. Martin wrote:This is probably my favorite out of all the Heisei films.

Pretty solid story, characters that I can actually find myself caring about, and consistently terrific effects give "Biollante" an edge against the other films from this era.

The designs for Godzilla and both forms of Biollante are very well-conceived and executed wonderfully. The rest of the effects are very nicely done as well, considerably better than the movies that followed.

I agree with Rodanex's comments on the score. Sometimes it works perfectly, but other times, it's very out of place, especially the Slavic dance-sounding theme previously mentioned.

One minor beef is the whole idea of the Super-X 2 being remotely controlled...it takes a lot of the excitement out of the action sequences that could easily have been there. Though I guess from the standpoint of safety, it makes a lot of sense.

The fact that I've only seen the dubbed version of this movie and still find it to be better than the other Heisei films says a lot about it. It may not be perfect, but it's a heck of a lot of fun.

Burning question: What in the heck does the Biomajor guy say when the Saradian agent shows up? I got "Sh-t, damn! We..." but I can't distinguish the rest of it. It really bothers me. A lot.

Slavic dance theme. lol I like that.

I think the biomajor guy says something inane like "Sh-t damn, we're the real lethal weapon!"
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:35 pm

The Super X2 theme is one of my favorites on the soundtrack :lol: Along with the rock guitar Godzilla/action sequence song
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby zekend01 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:18 pm

metal_bryan wrote:the rock guitar Godzilla/action sequence song

THAT, I like!
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:39 pm

Definitely one of my top 3 Godzilla movies. I really can't find a complaint. It's such a cool movie. I also love the little behind the scene missing / cut footage showing Toho attempting stop motion for a Godzilla movie. It was really interesting. This was my second Godzilla movie, the first being 1984.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby heroforhirerob » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:56 pm

Well...having watched it again last night for reference, it definitely holds up well compared to some of the other Heisei films(I'm talking about YOU Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah!). I used to be luke warm on this one, but over the years, I've come to appreciate it a bit more. It's uneven(as many G films are), but it mostly delivers in execution(specially for the monster scenes).

-Introduces Miki. She's mostly a cypher here, but I guess they had to start somewhere. Her psychic battle with Godzilla is interesting, but it's never really clear what she's trying to do. And the visible effect seems at odds with a purely psionic fight.

-The music is a mixed bag. Doesn't really work for me generally. Most of the music feels like it should be in another kind of film..and many spots it doesn't match the visuals.

-Biollante is an inspired...and ORIGINAL creation for a change...and I've come to appreciate that a hell of a lot more these days. The execution of the monster ranges from good to great. Didn't really see the need to add optical animation to the acid spewing scene. It actually detracted from the visual in that instance. The final stage version, while basically immobile, has such a strong visual presence that it overcomes the SPFX shortcomings.

-Godzilla too looks great...though he'd look even better in the next film. The naval battle in the early part of the picture is really good, and the animatronic head gives Godzilla a lot more "life" than he had in the previous film.

-The big drawback in this one is the horrible western actors. Yeah..it may come off as campy, but you can tell it wasn't intended that way...and it makes some scenes come off inappropriately (like the Saradian agent walking calmly away as Godzilla is literally right on top of him or the gunfight between him and the Bio Major agents).

-The script packs in a lot of elements...so much that some parts of the film are almost incoherent upon the first viewing(like the first 20 minutes).

-The films conclusion is a bit of a letdown...Godzilla doesn't even really finish the fight..he wanders off..and then keels over(and annoyingly gets right back up within minutes). Biollante vanishes into spores, but it's never quite clear if Godzilla was responsible for its defeat.

-The human characters range in quality. Gondo stands out cause he had a personality. Shirigami does the eccentric scientist thing well. The rest are forgettable really....though one cheers when the annoying Saradian agent gets waxed(at least I did).

Overall, a pretty good film....and much better than I originally gave it credit for. Not my favorite of the Heisei series, but definitely a worthy effort.
Last edited by heroforhirerob on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
heroforhirerob
Godzilla

Next

Return to The Heisei Era: 1984-1995