TALKBACK #17: Godzilla vs. Biollante

Discuss the 2nd Godzilla film era here! Beam fights, revised versions of classic kaiju, the Heisei era was a mixed bag of fun and controversy!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:04 pm

metal_bryan wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:The only real flaw in this film (imho) is the goofy ghost-erica at the end... :roll:

Yeah. I think the same information could have been conveyed any number of less goofy ways.

Still an awesome movie though. :D
I still love it even with weird floating ghost photograph

That may very well be the preferred means of communication for giant plant girl ghost people.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:43 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
metal_bryan wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:The only real flaw in this film (imho) is the goofy ghost-erica at the end... :roll:

Yeah. I think the same information could have been conveyed any number of less goofy ways.

Still an awesome movie though. :D
I still love it even with weird floating ghost photograph

That may very well be the preferred means of communication for giant plant girl ghost people.

Yeah, who are you to say it's wrong?

:lol:
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:00 am

Ugh. I just watched this, and watched 1984 the night before. So, and keep in mind I'm not saying these films are as good as the ones I'm about to mention, the beginning of the Heisei series is so strong. It's like if we were to watch Batman Begins, followed by the Dark Knight. Then we get Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, which is, I think, akin to if we lived in a horrifying world in which The Dark Knight was followed up by something like Batman Forever.

No, Godzilla vs. Biollante isn't as good as the Dark Knight, but going from it to Batman Forever is the kind of drop in quality I see in these films. It's so sad.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:39 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:Ugh. I just watched this, and watched 1984 the night before. So, and keep in mind I'm not saying these films are as good as the ones I'm about to mention, the beginning of the Heisei series is so strong. It's like if we were to watch Batman Begins, followed by the Dark Knight. Then we get Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, which is, I think, akin to if we lived in a horrifying world in which The Dark Knight was followed up by something like Batman Forever.

No, Godzilla vs. Biollante isn't as good as the Dark Knight, but going from it to Batman Forever is the kind of drop in quality I see in these films. It's so sad.

It's truly a shame that Biollante didn't do well at the box office. Had it done well, the Heisei truly would have been a better film series and well for Kawakita, he would have been inspired to push himself harder (if the rumors about him well not being in right mind after Biollante and then allowing gradually ugly mistakes to slip into his films.
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:18 am

I also wish Biollante had done better at the box office.

Perhaps Toho would have felt it useful to continue inventing NEW kaiju rather than just (poorly) recycle Showa foes.

I mean, the only 100% ORIGINAL kaiju in the wake of this film for the rest of the Heisei series is Destoroyah. You could kinda argue in favor of Spacegodzilla, but you could also kinda argue against him since he kinda is just Godzilla with some shoulderpads.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:24 am

I wouldn't even remind the recycling as long as they did it with the same skill and style of GvsBiollante.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:28 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:I also wish Biollante had done better at the box office.

Perhaps Toho would have felt it useful to continue inventing NEW kaiju rather than just (poorly) recycle Showa foes.

I mean, the only 100% ORIGINAL kaiju in the wake of this film for the rest of the Heisei series is Destoroyah. You could kinda argue in favor of Spacegodzilla, but you could also kinda argue against him since he kinda is just Godzilla with some shoulderpads.

Not to mention if that design also bared more than a passing resemblance to the design of Super Godzilla from the Super NES Godzilla game.
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:11 am

Another movie in desperate need of a USA DVD release.

I can't remember who has the rights currently, but a few people did try to do a letter writing campaign to get it out on DVD.
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:17 pm

Echo Bridge currently holds the rights, I believe, and the last I heard they were considering a BD release.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:51 pm

It's amazing how the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" policy just degraded the quality of the Heisei series after this film. Everybody just absolutely had to have the traditional monsters. I like Mekagojira's analogy; that's pretty much the way I see it. I find enjoyment out of most of the Heisei movies, but the story behind Biollante was so fresh and well-done, while the rest were so old and tired and...not so well-done.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:58 pm

Sorry but if it's Blu-Ray only I am not going to get it.
I am still satisfied with DVD, and have no plans to upgrade, unless they totally phase out DVD, which probably won't happen for a long time IMO.

If Echo Bridge does do that, they better release a DVD version as well.

Anyhow, this movie is rather odd in the fact that they had some contest to design the monster for the movie. Biollante is a rather odd monster in that it's part plant, part Godzilla, and part human?

It was cool as heck to see that Godzilla was a little worse for wear after hanging out inside a volcano for over 3 years. The whole black motif that he has after this is really interesting.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:02 pm

This is a good movie. I remember I first saw it one night when I was about 4 or 5, and was really weirded out by it, especially when Erika's spirit appeared in the pollen. Nowadays, though, I've seen enough weird stuff that a ghost popping out of a plant monster doesn't bother me. I think I've come to like this movie more over time. Everyone else has covered the reasons I like it: the SPFX, Biollante, the other music, original plot, etc. The only things that really bug me are related to the music and the characters. The music editing/placement is pretty weird at times, and I really do hate the Super-X2's theme - it makes me cringe. Also, the characters tend to be a little flat, probably because there are so many of them. I only found Dr. Shiragami to be very compelling. Otherwise, I don't have any real complaints about this movie. Hopefully it becomes more readily available in the near future.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:33 am

I kind of like Super X2's theme. :lol:
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:47 am

The score for this movie gets picked on all the time and I gotta admit, I rather like it.

Unlike every other release for the rest of the Heisei series, the music is interesting on its own and not just a rehash of old Ifukube themes.

Is some of it a little too chipper and a touch oddly placed? KINDA...but the good outweighs the bad.

It's just another reason why this is to me, the last Godzilla movie that Toho REALLY seemed to try, and is far and away my favorite of either of the latter two series.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:56 am

Yeah, I mean sometimes the transitions/placements are unsettling, but the music itself is never bad.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:58 am

I used to hate it, but it's grown on me in recent months. I'm not a huge fan of the Super X II's theme, but it isn't lame. It gets you moving pretty well.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:18 am

What gets me about that theme is that it sounds just a little too much like the Superman movie theme. I hear and I'm like, "Really? Really?" It's not necessarily a bad piece of music, but it sticks out like a Superman cosplayer at an Edgar Allan Poe convention. I prefer the themes for the other two Super X's anyway.
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:22 am

Eh, I guess so, to me it does sound Williams-esque, but I've never thought it was directly copying the Superman theme.

Though I must admit I don't think about those Superman movies very often at all.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:43 am

The other two X themes gave off more of a military vibe to me; the X II's theme made it sound like it was going on a space adventure rather than going to do battle with Godzilla.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:55 am

This theme made me think X2 was awesome and was going to do amazing things.

Like crash into the ocean, and crash into the ground, and fail.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:20 am

Speaking of interesting music, this movie features what is perhaps the most rocking of all Godzilla songs (well besides Blue Oyster Cult's famous Godzilla song). It's called Bio Wars, and is featured in the begining of the movie when all those people are trying to steal the G-cells.

It featured a lot of guitar, mixed with traditional orchestra stuff.

If you have the Best of Godzilla CD (1984-1996) it's track 8 IIRC.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:25 am

When I was a kid I thought that song was the coolest thing I'd ever heard. :lol:
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:30 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:When I was a kid I thought that song was the coolest thing I'd ever heard. :lol:

I still think that its one of the cool songs. :lol:
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:34 am

"Bio Wars" is great, though I remember reading that Ifukube didn't think much of it when he heard it. Which is fair enough; I suppose that if I were in his position and came from a classical background, I'd be a little frustrated at it, too. But as it is, it makes want to throw on some shades and play air guitar.
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:34 am

Andrew Nguyen wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:When I was a kid I thought that song was the coolest thing I'd ever heard. :lol:

I still think that its one of the cool songs. :lol:

I think it's still cool, but I've heard a great many "cool" things in my life, so this doesn't dominate it quite so easily nowadays.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to The Heisei Era: 1984-1995