TALKBACK #17: Godzilla vs. Biollante

Discuss the 2nd Godzilla film era here! Beam fights, revised versions of classic kaiju, the Heisei era was a mixed bag of fun and controversy!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby heroforhirerob » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Eh...I didn't think the Hesei series was all that bad. I prefer it over all the Millennium Series for example. I've softened up on Biollante due to the originality of the idea, which was basically lacking in the rest of the films of that era. Biollante is far from perfect, but what it gets right, it gets very right...so I'll give it props for that.
heroforhirerob
Godzilla
 
Posts: 884
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:06 pm
Location: Michigan

Postby Guardian7 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:43 am

There are so many good scenes in this film. Many of which have already been mentioned.
My one all time favorite scene in this film is when Miki and that other girl (sorry her name eludes me at the moment) go into the classroom with all the psychic kids and they are asked to hold up the drawings of what they have been dreaming about... and they all turn up those kiddie illos of Godzilla and the Godzilla theme hammers in!
It is so kick ass!
Manda of course is my favorite Kaijuu
Image
User avatar
Guardian7
Godzillasaurus
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:24 pm
Location: Ogasawara Island, MI

Postby zekend01 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Guardian7 wrote:There are so many good scenes in this film. Many of which have already been mentioned.
My one all time favorite scene in this film is when Miki and that other girl (sorry her name eludes me at the moment) go into the classroom with all the psychic kids and they are asked to hold up the drawings of what they have been dreaming about... and they all turn up those kiddie illos of Godzilla and the Godzilla theme hammers in!
It is so kick ass!


Damn right. That's one of my favorite scenes EVER in any movie.
"If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone." - Lenny Bruce
http://www.myspace.com/cretinfunk
http://www.myspace.com/prometheuscomplex
zekend01
Godzilla
 
Posts: 866
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:52 pm
Location: The Abyss

Postby MrShape666 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Not a great film by any means, but Biollante was one of the most impressive monster suits Toho ever came up with.

Funny note, when I originally rented this on its VHS release, I told my father who I was already taking care of at the time that I'd rented a movie with "your favorite foreign film star" in it.

When he asked me who it was, I told him to guess.

When he asked me for a hint, I told him, "It's quite a tail."
This is THE SHAPE speaking.
User avatar
MrShape666
Little Godzilla
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:48 am
Location: Hell

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:33 pm

this is my favorite Heisei/Millenium era film by a pretty wide margin. it's the only film from either era that I'd consider in a top 5.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby walshiam » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:49 pm

This one (along with Magaguirus) bored the hell out of me.
walshiam
Godzilla
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:41 pm
Location: Wichita, Kansas via Austin, TX

Postby MrShape666 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:53 pm

I just remember seeing Biollante's final form and muttering wow. That was one hell of fierce looking monster.
This is THE SHAPE speaking.
User avatar
MrShape666
Little Godzilla
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:48 am
Location: Hell

Postby Goji 84 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:20 am

walshiam wrote:This one (along with Magaguirus) bored the hell out of me.


Really? Then the rest of the 90's output must have put you right to sleep. :lol:
Last edited by Goji 84 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Goji 84
Godzilla
 
Posts: 703
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:34 am
Location: Maryland

Postby walshiam » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:16 pm

The ones with Ifukube scores are my faves.
walshiam
Godzilla
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:41 pm
Location: Wichita, Kansas via Austin, TX

Postby Bluejira » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:30 pm

I thought this movie had the best storyline of the Hesei era. Gene splicing plant and
animal DNA was cutting edge technology in 89.
Also thought Biollantes design was excellent.
Thought the final battle could have been more epic.
Overall one of my favorites.
User avatar
Bluejira
Godzilla Jr.
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:59 pm
Location: Fogertown, KY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Bluejira wrote:I thought this movie had the best storyline of the Hesei era. Gene splicing plant and
animal DNA was cutting edge technology in 89.


Yeah, Biollante's concept and origin is one of the reasons this film works. It really does something different, and it mostly succeeds.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby Enshohma » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:28 am

I'm not a fan of the Heisei-era films, but Godzilla vs. Biollante is something of a high point for me, and thus a personal favorite, simply for its ambitious nature and very original ideas, that for the most part, are executed splendidly.

Biollante being a truly awesome creation, that invoked sympathy and weird terror all at the same time, and her earthshaking slides across the landscape during the climax, that and the fact that she dwarfed her 'brother' Godzilla, are among the last few times I was completely awestruck by a giant monster movie.

Another element I enjoyed was the superb Godzilla suit, which really was the best looking of the Heisei era, with its dark animalistic eyes and a overall body shape. Afterwards, the Godzilla suits had those cartoon-ish bloodshot eyes, and the title monster just got fatter and more ungainly until Godzilla 2000 came around...and that's not saying a whole lot.

************

While on the subject, dose anybody have big, high-end screen captures or book scans of Biollante?

I don't care if it's her 'Rose Larva', final form, or 'giant floating head ghost Erika', I just need pictures of her, and amazingly the web is lacking, minus some pathetically small scale scans.

Greatly appreciated in advance.
Image

Guess All of the Above Monsters' Names and Respective Places of Origin and Win a Prize!
User avatar
Enshohma
Godzilla Jr.
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:58 am
Location: LA, California

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:48 pm

Enshohma wrote:Another element I enjoyed was the superb Godzilla suit, which really was the best looking of the Heisei era, with its dark animalistic eyes and a overall body shape. Afterwards, the Godzilla suits had those cartoon-ish bloodshot eyes, and the title monster just got fatter and more ungainly until Godzilla 2000 came around...and that's not saying a whole lot.


I think the reason this suit also looks great is that it's mostly seen in the dark. The menace, as you mentioned the eyes, comes across really well in those lighting conditions.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:13 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
Enshohma wrote:Another element I enjoyed was the superb Godzilla suit, which really was the best looking of the Heisei era, with its dark animalistic eyes and a overall body shape. Afterwards, the Godzilla suits had those cartoon-ish bloodshot eyes, and the title monster just got fatter and more ungainly until Godzilla 2000 came around...and that's not saying a whole lot.


I think the reason this suit also looks great is that it's mostly seen in the dark. The menace, as you mentioned the eyes, comes across really well in those lighting conditions.
there are a decent number of daytime scenes, though...the long naval battle is entirely in the daytime.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:41 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:
Enshohma wrote:Another element I enjoyed was the superb Godzilla suit, which really was the best looking of the Heisei era, with its dark animalistic eyes and a overall body shape. Afterwards, the Godzilla suits had those cartoon-ish bloodshot eyes, and the title monster just got fatter and more ungainly until Godzilla 2000 came around...and that's not saying a whole lot.


I think the reason this suit also looks great is that it's mostly seen in the dark. The menace, as you mentioned the eyes, comes across really well in those lighting conditions.
there are a decent number of daytime scenes, though...the long naval battle is entirely in the daytime.


Completely forgot about that one, but the most impressive he looks is during the nighttime city attack.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby metal_bryan » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:23 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:
Enshohma wrote:Another element I enjoyed was the superb Godzilla suit, which really was the best looking of the Heisei era, with its dark animalistic eyes and a overall body shape. Afterwards, the Godzilla suits had those cartoon-ish bloodshot eyes, and the title monster just got fatter and more ungainly until Godzilla 2000 came around...and that's not saying a whole lot.


I think the reason this suit also looks great is that it's mostly seen in the dark. The menace, as you mentioned the eyes, comes across really well in those lighting conditions.
there are a decent number of daytime scenes, though...the long naval battle is entirely in the daytime.


Completely forgot about that one, but the most impressive he looks is during the nighttime city attack.


That's my favorite part of the movie too, along with the final stretch against the military and Biollante
User avatar
metal_bryan
Controller
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:59 am
Location: Florida, USA

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:44 pm

What can I say...I love this film.

The G suit is amazing, tho I might prefer the 91 alteration on any given day. I still think the eyes look a little too muppet-y even in this film and this suit works best when its eyes are covered in shadow.

I just watched this film again subbed today and it occured to me that there is much more of an anti American vibe to it then I remembered...maybe it's just me or maybe I just read the film a certain way on this viewing.
User avatar
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 9917
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:27 am
Location: Ohio

Postby KaijuZoo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 pm

Enshohma wrote:While on the subject, dose anybody have big, high-end screen captures or book scans of Biollante?

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/231/e/d/Godzilla_vs_Biollante_1080p_by_Mikallica.png
Jonee
KaijuZoo Toys - Where the Monsters Live
http://www.kaijuzoo.com
KaijuZoo Gallery Slideshow
Kaijuzoo eBay Auctions
G-Fan "Dealer of the Month" - Summer 2005
Image
User avatar
KaijuZoo
Godzilla
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:41 pm
Location: VA

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:48 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:What can I say...I love this film.

The G suit is amazing, tho I might prefer the 91 alteration on any given day. I still think the eyes look a little too muppet-y even in this film and this suit works best when its eyes are covered in shadow.

I just watched this film again subbed today and it occured to me that there is much more of an anti American vibe to it then I remembered...maybe it's just me or maybe I just read the film a certain way on this viewing.
i think the subbed version throws in a few more digs at Americans and their hubris.

also, it becomes readily evident when watching a subbed copy of this movie why they chose to dub over the lines that were spoken in "english"
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:59 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:What can I say...I love this film.

The G suit is amazing, tho I might prefer the 91 alteration on any given day. I still think the eyes look a little too muppet-y even in this film and this suit works best when its eyes are covered in shadow.

I just watched this film again subbed today and it occured to me that there is much more of an anti American vibe to it then I remembered...maybe it's just me or maybe I just read the film a certain way on this viewing.
i think the subbed version throws in a few more digs at Americans and their hubris.

also, it becomes readily evident when watching a subbed copy of this movie why they chose to dub over the lines that were spoken in "english"


Haha I know...it's probably the worst "english" that I've ever heard...
User avatar
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 9917
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:27 am
Location: Ohio

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:59 am

KaijuZoo wrote:
Enshohma wrote:While on the subject, dose anybody have big, high-end screen captures or book scans of Biollante?

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/231/e/d/Godzilla_vs_Biollante_1080p_by_Mikallica.png


This shot looks great, and it shows just how impressive and large Biollante was in the film.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:40 pm

This movie is one of my favorite G flicks. I loved how Godzilla was portrayed in this film, menacing and brutal in combat. His roar is was awesome - the lower, booming sound is much better than the high-pitched version we get later on in the Heisei series. Biollante is awesome, easily one of the coolest kaiju ever. The SPFX are fanatastic.

The film isn't without its flaws such as the score going from pretty good to really bad (clown music, anyone?). I actually liked the guitar Goji theme, but that's probably bad taste on my part. :D

I also thought the script was a bit too much, although the ideas were cool. The ANEB idea is great, and the whole international community going after G cells was a nice idea. I never liked the fact that Godzilla and Biollante didn't get to finish their fight, but everything up to the end was awesome. This movie wowed me as a kid more so than anything else, and nothing until Gamera 2 and 3 came close.

I hope we get a DVD at some point.
Image
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
User avatar
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:04 pm
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:16 pm

The only real flaw in this film (imho) is the goofy ghost-erica at the end... :roll:
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:55 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:The only real flaw in this film (imho) is the goofy ghost-erica at the end... :roll:


Yeah. I think the same information could have been conveyed any number of less goofy ways.

Still an awesome movie though. :D
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby metal_bryan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:00 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:The only real flaw in this film (imho) is the goofy ghost-erica at the end... :roll:


Yeah. I think the same information could have been conveyed any number of less goofy ways.

Still an awesome movie though. :D
I still love it even with weird floating ghost photograph
User avatar
metal_bryan
Controller
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:59 am
Location: Florida, USA

PreviousNext

Return to The Heisei Era: 1984-1995

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron