TALKBACK #17: Godzilla vs. Biollante

Discuss the 2nd Godzilla film era here! Beam fights, revised versions of classic kaiju, the Heisei era was a mixed bag of fun and controversy!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby TXKaiju » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:20 pm

This is one movie I really like! Some of the best scenes in Godzilla vs. Biollante was when you see Godzilla blow up a fleet of war ships!! Awesome Awesome Awesome!! And the suit design for Godzilla was fantasitic! The idea of Biollante very original! And the new and improved Super X 2. The idea of a psychic being able to comunicate with Godzilla was something I really liked. The ending of this movie reminded me of the ending of King Kong vs. Godzilla but i enjoyed this movie a hell of alot more! I wouldnt say this movie was a bitchin but I will say it was Kaiju Bitchin!
David Nunez Gojira11354
TXKaiju
Little Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:02 pm

Ok...so I just recieved this and Godzilla 1985 in the mail the other day and honestly...neither really hold up all that well in my vision..it's been years since I've seen either of these films and both seem better in my mind's eye then they actually appear to be now...Godzilla vs. Biollante seems to suffer the most in my eyes...I really suddenly can't stand Godzilla's look here...and throughout the Hesei series...he looks too plastic-y and fake..the eyes really give it away somehow they appear as fake and as souless as doll eyes but not in some cool shark like way but in a kid playing with dinosaur toys type of a way...

Plus the cat face just kills the look for me now...Godzilla should have a rounder...shorter snout like he did in 84' or 54' or most of the showa series...
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:19 pm

Like many of you have already said about this film, I also have to mainly agree as well about this film being exceptionally well done. In fact I put it on a tie with GMK as well (one day it is GMK and then GvsB and then the next day it is GvsB followed by GMK).

I don't know if I have already told this already but I remembered when I first got ahold of this film in (if I believe correctly 1993 or 1994) I was really impressed by the cover art that was used on the poster for this film.

I really didn't mind it at the time of the story having way too many human characters though there were some scenes wtih Miki Saegusa (her first appearence in the Godzilla movies), particularly in the ones in Osaka.

The suit design for Godzilla in this series set the bar for the rest of the Heisei's and I often usually associate the Bio-Goji suit as the main look for Godzilla (nothing against the other well known suits mind you).

Biolantte herself is exceptionally well done, particularly in her second form.

One thing that I have to mention is my belief about the writing for this film, particularly at the end where Godzilla is defeated. It is my belief that how they did it may hve come back to bite them when they tried to produce Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah as the restrictions caused by the events of Biolantte forced Toho to resort to the use of time travel.

It's a shame that this film didn't do well at the Box-Office.
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dai » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:58 pm

This film had so much potential, but only partially lived up to it. The most jarring aspect is that the role of Biollante was a sub-plot rather than the central thrust of the narrative. Normally in Toho's kaiju movies you have the human conflict plot thread and the monster conflict plot thread, often with some overlap. This time there were too many threads criss-crossing. You could edit out all of the Biollante scenes and still have a fairly complete film called Godzilla vs Super X2. It's this lack of focus that hurts the film.

In its favour, the scenes that Biollante is in show it to be one of the most fascinating creatures in a Toho film. The effects are some of the best in the series, and the cinematography and lighting of the effects sequences are superb.
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:26 am

I agree with Dai, but at the same time I'm not sure if I'd be able to buy the plant monster idea the way they presented it if Biollante had any more screen time.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby the_candidate » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:28 am

I think Godzilla vs. Biollante has by far the best script in the Godzilla series, as well as the best visual effects. The only other movie I consider on its level is the original Gojira.
the_candidate

Postby metal_bryan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:33 am

the_candidate wrote:I think Godzilla vs. Biollante has by far the best script in the Godzilla series, as well as the best visual effects. The only other movie I consider on its level is the original Gojira.

Welcome to the forum! :) I like you already.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby zekend01 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:35 pm

metal_bryan wrote:
the_candidate wrote:I think Godzilla vs. Biollante has by far the best script in the Godzilla series, as well as the best visual effects. The only other movie I consider on its level is the original Gojira.

Welcome to the forum! :) I like you already.

That.
"If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone." - Lenny Bruce
http://www.myspace.com/cretinfunk
http://www.myspace.com/prometheuscomplex
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby the_candidate » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:45 pm

I'm glad to see that Godzilla vs. Biollante is still as well-liked as ever. Kaiju fans are a very fickle bunch, with opinions changing drastically over time. Godzilla vs. Biollante is just one of those few films- like the original Gojira- that is immortal.
the_candidate

Postby zekend01 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:04 pm

the_candidate wrote:I'm glad to see that Godzilla vs. Biollante is still as well-liked as ever. Kaiju fans are a very fickle bunch, with opinions changing drastically over time. Godzilla vs. Biollante is just one of those few films- like the original Gojira- that is immortal.

and the original vs. Mothra.....
"If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone." - Lenny Bruce
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:05 pm

And Gigan.

<3
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby zekend01 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:And Gigan.

<3

And NO....
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby Guardian7 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:06 am

This is a damn fine film in my opinion.
I have just recently seen the Japanese version of it and the story is a pretty good piece.
Though I am not a huge fan of the Rose-headed form. It was well done.
Just saw a making of it as well (unfortunately in Japanese -- I couldn't understand what they were saying) and I was impressed with Biollante's sheer (suit) size. They did a wonderful job manipulating all those Vine heads.

I liked Godzilla's emergence from the volcano. Beautifully done!

I also felt the G-Center control room in GvB looked amazing.

This one and G85 (again the Japanese version) are my favorites of the HEISEI series. Both had such (IMO) great characters in them. Plus they both brought Godzilla back in grand fashion.

Excellent film.
Manda of course is my favorite Kaijuu
Guardian7
Godzillasaurus

Postby Mac » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:07 pm

Recently watched this, and I still think the movie holds up well. The film is action-packed, and the human plot is engaging. I never really had a problem with the music, the SUPER-X theme reminds me of something out of STAR TREK. The only major annoyance is the fact that most of the Japanese actors speak terrible English, ugh. Oh, and that Saradian Agent has an AWFUL voice, hardly imposing at all. The dub did wonders for him. :lol:
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:13 pm

Biollante's music is extraordinary. I too thought the music was medicore, then I bought the soundtrack and after listening to it start to finish was blown away. The music in the film really does not do the entire score justice by a longshot due to the random cuts the scores were given in the film.

Sugiyama's score is now among my favorites.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:49 pm

Flame of Udin wrote:Biollante's music is extraordinary. I too thought the music was medicore, then I bought the soundtrack and after listening to it start to finish was blown away. The music in the film really does not do the entire score justice by a longshot due to the random cuts the scores were given in the film.

I agree with this 100%. I also own the score and it's phenomenal. I especially like the electric guitar track. That song is awesome (I might have to upload it to youtube)!

EDIT: Nevermind, of course it's already on youtube. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCtWZa8Fayg
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:01 pm

zekend01 wrote:
kiryugoji04 wrote:And Gigan.

<3

And NO....

Philistine!
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:29 pm

Mac wrote:Recently watched this, and I still think the movie holds up well. The film is action-packed, and the human plot is engaging. I never really had a problem with the music, the SUPER-X theme reminds me of something out of STAR TREK. The only major annoyance is the fact that most of the Japanese actors speak terrible English, ugh. Oh, and that Saradian Agent has an AWFUL voice, hardly imposing at all. The dub did wonders for him. :lol:
i totally agree the first time i saw the movie subtitled, the only reason i knew at ALL what they were saying when they were speaking English was due to having seen the dub...just awful, AWFUL accents on their English
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Mexigojira » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:20 pm

metal_bryan wrote:
Flame of Udin wrote:Biollante's music is extraordinary. I too thought the music was medicore, then I bought the soundtrack and after listening to it start to finish was blown away. The music in the film really does not do the entire score justice by a longshot due to the random cuts the scores were given in the film.

I agree with this 100%. I also own the score and it's phenomenal. I especially like the electric guitar track. That song is awesome (I might have to upload it to youtube)!

EDIT: Nevermind, of course it's already on youtube. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCtWZa8Fayg

On a somewhat related note: a month ago, I've just notice parts of this theme was used for background music for the anime series Dragon Quest: Dai No Daiboken (That part is 2:11 on the previous video), and looking for info, I came to know that Sukiyama worked on the series.
"There are 4 things that I've learned to dont discuss, because they end with people killing each other: Religion, politics, sports, and logic on anime and kaiju movies"

Anibal
Mexigojira
Heisei Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:15 pm

cool connection! I didn't even know about that anime... but now that you've pointed it out that section of music does sound a bit similar to Dragon Warrior's music :lol:
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby Arrow » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:28 pm

I honestly find Godzilla vs. Biollante to be pretty overrated nowadays. It's a good movie, but it still has a lot of failings in many areas. Aside from the special effects and the monster sequences, there isn't much there. The human scenes and characters are bland and are far too numerous to really be developed. And I am not fond of the film's musical score.
Arrow
Little Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:34 pm

Arrow wrote:I honestly find Godzilla vs. Biollante to be pretty overrated nowadays. It's a good movie, but it still has a lot of failings in many areas. Aside from the special effects and the monster sequences, there isn't much there. The human scenes and characters are bland and are far too numerous to really be developed. And I am not fond of the film's musical score.

Except for the comment about the music score - which I like, although it doesn't really fit - I agree with all of this. The special effects are fantastic and definitely show potential that Kawakita was never able to live up to. There's a reason why people were calling him the next Tsuburaya after this one was released. But as far as I'm concerned not a lot else works about the film. I don't care about any of the human characters, there's too much going on to keep track of, the music editing is poor that were are more than enough WTF moments. It's decent but like Arrow said, very overrated these days.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby TreverT » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:16 pm

My favorite of the Heisei series, easily. If I had to pick a movie to show to a non-Godzilla fan, it would probably be this one or GMK, as the others got too mired in their own ongoing mythology for my prefs. Also, this has my favorite G suit, possibly ever.

It is entirely possible that some of my love of this film may be due to owning a VHS copy of it picked up at a con back in 1990 (Before we had all these internet outlets), which I then got autographed by Eric Bloom, lead singer of Blue Oyster Cult, who even did a little speech about it for us on videocamera as he held the box to sign it. :D
TreverT
Godzilla Egg

Postby metal_bryan » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:41 pm

That's an awesome story. :)
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:27 pm

I guess one of the reasons Godzilla vs. Biollante tends to be overrated nowadays is due to the fact that, despite its shortcomings, it's the best the Heisei series had to offer. Not saying much, but still. I've always loved this film, I loved the music (as jarring as it is), the characters, the story, and Biollante. I think that more and more people have started to appreciate it entirely due to the fact they want to like something about the godawful heisei series...and they choose this. :)
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to The Heisei Era: 1984-1995