TALKBACK #17: Godzilla vs. Biollante

Discuss the 2nd Godzilla film era here! Beam fights, revised versions of classic kaiju, the Heisei era was a mixed bag of fun and controversy!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby The Real McCoy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:36 am

Probably my favorite scene in the movie, and one of my favorite scenes in the series is when Miki tells Asuka that the children all had the same dream last night, so she told them to draw it on paper. When she and Asuka come into the room, she asks them what they all dreamed about and they all hold up pictures of Godzilla at once, and his classic theme starts up. I get chills every time I see that scene.
Image
User avatar
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:59 am
Location: North Carolina

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:04 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:Probably my favorite scene in the movie, and one of my favorite scenes in the series is when Miki tells Asuka that the children all had the same dream last night, so she told them to draw it on paper. When she and Asuka come into the room, she asks them what they all dreamed about and they all hold up pictures of Godzilla at once, and his classic theme starts up. I get chills every time I see that scene.


It is pretty great.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby rockstarbd82 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:13 pm

GODZILLA VS BIOLLANTE

Another favorite of mine. This was an interesting experience for me because of the fact it debuted on HBO around 1991. I remember having to go to my uncles house to watch it (as we didnt' have HBO at that time :cry: ) and it was a blast from start to finish.

It was a relief for me when I saw the montage of Godzilla 1985 playing at the start cuz that told me Godzilla didn't die in that firey pit (that I used to interpret as being hell when I was liil haha :evil: ) I remember being intrigued by the new monster Biollante and the new Super X 2 vessel.

Then I remember I had to wait a while before this got a VHS release (I remember looking it up at suncoast to order one time shortly after its HBO debut and it was marked at being almost $50 retail :eek: [not lying/no bs])

Anyways, jumping to the present, this film still has a soft spot for me. Great story, lots of innovation to the series, and yet it still kept the classic feel of godzilla we all love :D .

The human characters though come off as being a bit dull in their performances. The only worthwhile character I liked was Miki's obviously in her debut of the Godzilla series. Everything else was just meh.

Special effects/Opticals were really top notch for the time.Music . . . can you say SUPERMAN / JAWS rip offs hahaha :lol: nahhh jk as similar as it sounds to John Williams, I love it. I would like to think this is how Williams would score a G-film anyways ;).

The monsters are extremely detailed, esp the many suits/props of Godzilla. Biollante was def something new on the table and worked quite well. The battles though did leave "a bit" more to be desired from me. Godzilla just shoots his ray constantly without barely doing anything else. I mean sure Biollante is pretty much 2wice Godzilla's size so punches/kicks/tail whacks won't really do much. The ray shooting just got a bit old after awhile. Also I wished the final battle went on a bit longer but thats just a minor nitpick. Overall it ended good.

The Super X 2 is another element I really like (and my favorite SuperX out of all of them (or maybe it was the theme haha)). I will say the fire mirror was a very creative weapon against Godzilla. It seemed to do ok for a bit but then backfired. In the end though, Godizlla is still the King of them Monsters ;).

Another thing I love is the military vs Godzilla near the end in the rain. Next to Godzilla vs The Thing, this is another one of Godzillas greatest battles against humans. Great angles, pyrotechnics, new maser tanks. Just awesome :twisted: .

I'll end it here by saying this is definitely one of my better favorites of the heisie series. I only hope that this and 1985 are on the horizon of a re-release soon . . . . :idea:
"ooooo GODZILLA is "roasting" KING KONG.!!!!"
rockstarbd82
Godzilla Jr.
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Postby edgodzi » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:50 pm

EricDent wrote:Anyhow, this movie is rather odd in the fact that they had some contest to design the monster for the movie. Biollante is a rather odd monster in that it's part plant, part Godzilla, and part human?


There was no contest for designing Biollante. The contest they had was for an original story.

(PLUG) The evolution of the Biollante design is detailed in the feature article on this film in Japanese Giants #8. (END PLUG)

Ed G.
"If a boring person finds something boring, that is probably proof that it is interesting." - Akira Kurosawa
edgodzi
Little Godzilla
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:26 pm

Postby rockstarbd82 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:24 pm

edgodzi wrote:
EricDent wrote:Anyhow, this movie is rather odd in the fact that they had some contest to design the monster for the movie. Biollante is a rather odd monster in that it's part plant, part Godzilla, and part human?


There was no contest for designing Biollante. The contest they had was for an original story.

(PLUG) The evolution of the Biollante design is detailed in the feature article on this film in Japanese Giants #8. (END PLUG)

Ed G.


If I remember correctly, the contest winner had a story where Godzilla would go up against an advanced computer defense system/fortress set up by Japan to protect the country or something (read on toho kingdom but not sure of the source). Then I remember it saying that even though the guy won and they changed their plans with Godzilla, they still used the guys concept in a film called "GUNHEAD" or something.

This is just something I remember reading but I'll admit don't have all the facts so correct me if i'm wrong.
"ooooo GODZILLA is "roasting" KING KONG.!!!!"
rockstarbd82
Godzilla Jr.
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:07 am

far and away my favorite film of the Heisei series, and possibly my third favorite Godzilla film period.

i really wish we could get a legit R1 release of this thing so it would look me in the eye and make me watch it more often. being buried away in a booklet along with a bunch of other grey-market stuff, i don't often wander my eye past and say to myself "god, I love that movie, let's watch it!"
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18873
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:15 am

I was thinking similar today. This film justifies the Heisei series, and while it wouldn't be in my top 3, it's definitely in my top 6.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby The Real McCoy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:40 am

Hopefully, there's some speck of truth (I don't believe a word of it yet) to the rumors that this film is in the process of getting a DVD release over here.
Image
User avatar
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:59 am
Location: North Carolina

Postby edgodzi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:50 pm

rockstarbd82 wrote:
edgodzi wrote:
EricDent wrote:Anyhow, this movie is rather odd in the fact that they had some contest to design the monster for the movie. Biollante is a rather odd monster in that it's part plant, part Godzilla, and part human?


There was no contest for designing Biollante. The contest they had was for an original story.

(PLUG) The evolution of the Biollante design is detailed in the feature article on this film in Japanese Giants #8. (END PLUG)

Ed G.


If I remember correctly, the contest winner had a story where Godzilla would go up against an advanced computer defense system/fortress set up by Japan to protect the country or something (read on toho kingdom but not sure of the source). Then I remember it saying that even though the guy won and they changed their plans with Godzilla, they still used the guys concept in a film called "GUNHEAD" or something.


While I don't know if the Gunhead anecdote is true, I have seen an entire book of unpublished storyboards and designs for various story ideas that were under consideration. One showed a sequence where Godzilla was captured inside of a mechanical fortress...4 weaponized vehicles that morph into walls that eventually encase Godzilla. Not sure how it would have worked on film or as part of a story, but it looked interesting. I wonder if this is the same thing.

Ed G.
"If a boring person finds something boring, that is probably proof that it is interesting." - Akira Kurosawa
edgodzi
Little Godzilla
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:26 pm

Postby Mac » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:29 pm

I wish Godzilla films would do more of that sort of thing. I want to see elaborate plans to capture Godzilla (ala King Kong) in future Godzilla films.
Image
User avatar
Mac
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:40 pm

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:20 pm

That concept art sounds awesome.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby The Real McCoy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:33 am

Thirty-five cents for a comic...Gosh, what I wouldn't give... :lol:
Image
User avatar
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:59 am
Location: North Carolina

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:46 am

Tonight's viewing was this movie and my god this movie was incredible wehn I first saw it back in 96 and it remains to be incredible. This for me is the highlight of the Heisei series. The concept is pretty awesome, the effects are down right amazing, Godzilla looks so friggin badass and it is probably his best design until his burning form in Destoroyah, the soundtrack is excellent, and most of all, Biollante is just one bad ass mofo. I absolutely love Biollante. Her size to her overall design is just so great that no monster has ever come close to matching that level of detail for me. I can just imagine her being the actual level to a Godzilla game where you are a soldier who has to climb up her body while fighting off the tentacles and vines in the process Shadow of the Colossus style. Oh yeah, and I always felt the ending was unexpected. Seeing Shirogami be shot out of nowhere was jaw dropping and made the ending feel bittersweet compared to the rest of the movies in the series. Overall, a hell of a movie and it is probably my third favorite Godzilla movie in the entire franchise. It is too bad that no one seems to care about it enough to license it for a BD/DVD release in the US because it does not feature recognizable monsters.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11528
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:41 am

I never thought seeing Shiragami get killed was a major jaw-dropper...I mean, it kind of is, because how often does a main character die in a Godzilla film? but at the same time, we distinctly see the saradian prime minister or whoever that guy is putting out the hit
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18873
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby RaymondBurr » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:35 am

Godzilla vs. Biollante is a very cool entry in the series. Among my favorites as well.

PLUS! Super cheesy guitar riffs! :D :D :D
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
User avatar
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:31 pm
Location: The Submarine Sea Hawk (Ohio)

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:08 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:I never thought seeing Shiragami get killed was a major jaw-dropper...I mean, it kind of is, because how often does a main character die in a Godzilla film? but at the same time, we distinctly see the saradian prime minister or whoever that guy is putting out the hit


Well for one, I was 14 when I first saw Biollante and at that time, I was used to always seeing all of the main characters live in every Godzilla movie since no one ever seemed to die in the Showa series unless they were the bad guy.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11528
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Postby Destroyer D » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:58 pm

Dr Kain wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:I never thought seeing Shiragami get killed was a major jaw-dropper...I mean, it kind of is, because how often does a main character die in a Godzilla film? but at the same time, we distinctly see the saradian prime minister or whoever that guy is putting out the hit


Well for one, I was 14 when I first saw Biollante and at that time, I was used to always seeing all of the main characters live in every Godzilla movie since no one ever seemed to die in the Showa series unless they were the bad guy.


The only one I can think of was that guy in "Godzilla vs. Hedorah."
That was surprising to me when I first saw it.
Destroyer D
Godzilla
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:24 am
Location: Hoosier Land

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:01 pm

Destroyer D wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:I never thought seeing Shiragami get killed was a major jaw-dropper...I mean, it kind of is, because how often does a main character die in a Godzilla film? but at the same time, we distinctly see the saradian prime minister or whoever that guy is putting out the hit


Well for one, I was 14 when I first saw Biollante and at that time, I was used to always seeing all of the main characters live in every Godzilla movie since no one ever seemed to die in the Showa series unless they were the bad guy.


The only one I can think of was that guy in "Godzilla vs. Hedorah."
That was surprising to me when I first saw it.
Doesn't the scientist guy die in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla?
Isn't one of the last lines something like "Your father gave his life to save us" or something?
Let's not forget Serizawa, Kobayashi, and the weird myriad of deaths and rebirths in Terror of Mechagodzilla.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18873
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby Destroyer D » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:21 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
Destroyer D wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:I never thought seeing Shiragami get killed was a major jaw-dropper...I mean, it kind of is, because how often does a main character die in a Godzilla film? but at the same time, we distinctly see the saradian prime minister or whoever that guy is putting out the hit


Well for one, I was 14 when I first saw Biollante and at that time, I was used to always seeing all of the main characters live in every Godzilla movie since no one ever seemed to die in the Showa series unless they were the bad guy.


The only one I can think of was that guy in "Godzilla vs. Hedorah."
That was surprising to me when I first saw it.
Doesn't the scientist guy die in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla?
Isn't one of the last lines something like "Your father gave his life to save us" or something?
Let's not forget Serizawa, Kobayashi, and the weird myriad of deaths and rebirths in Terror of Mechagodzilla.


Yeah Godzilla brings death no matter which side of the moral tent
your under. One way or another.
Destroyer D
Godzilla
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:24 am
Location: Hoosier Land

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:38 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
Destroyer D wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:I never thought seeing Shiragami get killed was a major jaw-dropper...I mean, it kind of is, because how often does a main character die in a Godzilla film? but at the same time, we distinctly see the saradian prime minister or whoever that guy is putting out the hit


Well for one, I was 14 when I first saw Biollante and at that time, I was used to always seeing all of the main characters live in every Godzilla movie since no one ever seemed to die in the Showa series unless they were the bad guy.


The only one I can think of was that guy in "Godzilla vs. Hedorah."
That was surprising to me when I first saw it.
Doesn't the scientist guy die in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla?
Isn't one of the last lines something like "Your father gave his life to save us" or something?
Let's not forget Serizawa, Kobayashi, and the weird myriad of deaths and rebirths in Terror of Mechagodzilla.


I hadn't seen Godzilla Raids Again until the Toho DVD. In fact, I never knew it existed until 98.

And I cannot recall any actual good guys dying outside of Serizawa. Mifune in ToMG is not a good guy, at least, not from my point of view. And no one died in MG.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11528
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:18 am

Shirigami's death surprised me as a kid. Yeah, there's the line "Yes...Dr. Shirigami, he's the one." but it always struck me as a clever kind of thing, because it's plainly stated but with all the stuff that goes on after that it gets pushed to the back of your mind. Then you're kind of like "Oh yeah.." As a kid, I tended to not notice it and it was just like "ZOMG, THEY SHOT HIM." God I love Godzilla vs. Biollante. This makes me want to re-watch it.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby The Real McCoy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:23 am

It didn't really shock me; rather, it was one of those "Ahh, what a happy endi...awww nuts. They just had to do that." kind of things.

MekaGojira3k wrote:God I love Godzilla vs. Biollante. This makes me want to re-watch it.


Good idea. I have today off; I think I'll do just that. :)
Image
User avatar
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:59 am
Location: North Carolina

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:00 am

Dr Kain wrote: And no one died in MG.
I'm gonna have to watch it this weekend, because I don't believe this at all. I'm pretty sure the professor who is forced to repair mechagodzilla dies. In fact, the line is "Your father has achieved a victory" (I think).


And how did you not know Godzilla Raids Again existed??? :shock:
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18873
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby Rodanex » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:06 pm

I'm almost positive we see all of the good guys exit the cave alive.
Rodanex
Godzilla
 
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:04 pm

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:18 pm

Rodanex wrote:I'm almost positive we see all of the good guys exit the cave alive.

http://radiation-scarred-reviews.blogsp ... -1974.html

"...martyring Miyajima and Nanbara"

I'm telling you...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18873
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

PreviousNext

Return to The Heisei Era: 1984-1995

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron