Godzilla vs Destroyah is FANTASIC

Discuss the 2nd Godzilla film era here! Beam fights, revised versions of classic kaiju, the Heisei era was a mixed bag of fun and controversy!

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla vs Destroyah is FANTASIC

Postby Legion » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:38 pm

Anyone else think GvsD is the best Heisei movie?

Anyone?
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:40 pm

No.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Legion » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:45 pm

^^And why not?

I've never seen an episode of 12 OZ Mouse. I personally like Morel Orel. "Look Sampson, crack!"
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:53 pm

Legion79 wrote:^^And why not?

Because The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Biollante are better, in my opinion.

Legion79 wrote:I've never seen an episode of 12 OZ Mouse. I personally like Morel Orel. "Look Sampson, crack!"

Dandy!
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Legion » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:34 pm

Ben-H wrote:
Legion79 wrote:I've never seen an episode of 12 OZ Mouse. I personally like Morel Orel. "Look Sampson, crack!"

Dandy!

Most.
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:52 am

this thread is rapidly degenerating...

but anyway

GvD is awesome HOWEVER, G85 is definately better...
better acting, more consistent FX, better story, better everything pretty much...

in FACT, i was more emotionally affected the first time i saw G85 than GvD...

but GvD is definately one of the better Godzilla films, in general IMHO
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:03 am

I'm afraid that this is nothing more than an insane joke.

But just for the heck of it, I'll also oblige.

Why GvsD is one of my favorites and I do think that it is a good film, there are other films within the Heisei series alone that are better than Destroyah (such as 1985, Biolantte, and Mecha-Godzilla).
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby bunnyhero » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:34 am

best or not, it was definitely the most emotionally affecting on me.

and i miss junior!!
bunnyhero
Godzilla

Postby Lord Hastur » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:21 am

I'm gonna say that Godzilla vs. Destroyer is one of the ONLY Heisei era films that stands the test of time. I really loved it when it came out, and while I have not watched it in a couple years, when I get around to viewing it I'm sure I'll enjoy it just as much as I always did.

So if this thread is a joke, I don't get it but yeah this film is FANTASIC.

:wink:
Lord Hastur

Postby Legion » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:34 pm

No, this thread isnt a joke. I was just...in a mood when I posted it.

I hadnt watched the military vs Destroyah battle in a few years, honestly. That was the one part that made me cringe. Everything else after that had me hooked.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:22 pm

No, this thread isnt a joke. I was just...in a mood when I posted it.

I hadnt watched the military vs Destroyah battle in a few years, honestly. That was the one part that made me cringe. Everything else after that had me hooked.

Many apologies for my presumption about this thread.

Carry on. :)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby zack&don » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:49 pm

Destroyah is also my favorite Hesei series movie. I think it's because of how serious the whole movie is. No kiddie under current like in GvMG.
zack&don
Godzillasaurus

Postby Kaijufan » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:45 am

My favorite Heisei film is Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, but Destroyah is among my favorite Heisei films.
Kaijufan
Godzilla Jr.

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:27 am

Andrew Nguyen wrote:Why GvsD is one of my favorites and I do think that it is a good film, there are other films within the Heisei series alone that are better than Destroyah (such as 1985, Biolantte, and Mecha-Godzilla).

i dont think gvmg2 is really THAT good actually, i did once but its kinda lame
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:30 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:i dont think gvmg2 is really THAT good actually, i did once but its kinda lame

Agreed. When I was a little kid, I thought it was the be-all and end-all Godzilla movie. That film really seems to strike a chord with the younger G-folk for some strange reason.

Honestly, looking at it now, I don't see how anybody could think so highly of it. It's very mediocre, even somewhat below-average. Critically or personally, it doesn't have much going for it either way. It's just a major dud of a movie.

But at least it's better than the other two Heisei middle-run duds, Godzilla vs. Mothra and Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby william newell » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:13 am

Personaly, Destroyah and Biollante are my 2 favorites of the Heisei films. For some reason, G 85 is a movie that I remember fondly, but whenever I actually watch it, it tends to leave me a little flat. And Gvs.M is one that I'll only watch when I'm looking for a good laugh. As for SpaceGodzilla, I just can't sit through it. But yeah, getting back to Destroyah, I remember the first time I saw it, I thought it came closest to capturing the feel of the Showa films of any of the Heisei movies. At least to me, anyway.
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:19 pm

i just remembered that GvsD has one of my favorite shots in ANY godzilla movie...and its the couple second shot where godzilla's face actually freezes over during his battle w/ SX3...

btw, the fact that they named it Super-X III was probably my biggest gripe with this film...
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Jorzilla » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:20 pm

It's good, but not great. Shoddy SPFX work when I know there could have been better ruin it for me. There's nothing like a skating Godzilla Jr. to unsuspend you're disbelief.
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gfan54 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:20 pm

I don't think "Godzilla Vs. Destoroyah" is fantastic at all, I would say more like OK at best. Overall I find the Heisei series to be often boring, too serious, and quite often centered more around the human characters rather than the kaiju, and while I like "Godzilla 1985" and "Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla II" both rather well, they are the 2 high points of the series with the rest of the films ranging from only being pretty good to downright awful. The 4 main reasons that I feel "Destoroyah" is often considered by fans to be a great, or even "fantastic", movie are because:

#1 It was the last film of the Heisei series
#2 It was Ifukube's last Godzilla score
#3 It had a very strong connection to the original Godzilla movie
#4 Maybe because Godzilla dies? :dunno:

My response to my #1 reason is simply this...IT WAS ABOUT DAMNED TIME :!: #2, Yes Ifukube was a MASTER composer but as is the case with every composer's list of scores some are certainly better than others, and while the score for "Destoroyah" may be pretty good it certainly wasn't Ifukube's best. #3, "Destoroyah" does have some very strong and direct connections with the original 54 film (I thought the return of the character of Emiko after 41 years was a VERY nice homage to the original classic!), which (in my opinion) is the only real interesting aspect of the film. And Lastly, #4 if Godzilla's death actually is a reason for anyone to think the film is a great one, why any fan would actually WANT to see their hero die is just totally beyond me. Overall, not the worst Godzilla movie but definitely not a "fantastic" one either.
Gfan54
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:05 am

There's just something about the last 30-45 minutes of this movie that absolutely gets to me every time I watch it. There are certainly flaws here and there but overall I think it's all still very strong. I love (LOVE) the Godzilla suit, Junior is very well realized and depsite the bulky appearance I still think Destroyah is pretty cool.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Lord Hastur » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:58 pm

Legion wrote:There's just something about the last 30-45 minutes of this movie that absolutely gets to me every time I watch it. There are certainly flaws here and there but overall I think it's all still very strong. I love (LOVE) the Godzilla suit, Junior is very well realized and depsite the bulky appearance I still think Destroyah is pretty cool.

I agree Mike.

While not a perfect film by any means the positives outweigh the negatives many times over. Yeah, the Godzilla suit is AMAZING, Junior was really, really cool and Destroyah while having all that weight and the super-busy design somehow just works well for a Toho Monster and is fitting for Godzilla's final enemy in this series. The score kills and I have no problem with any of the actors or actresses performances either.

This is a good one.
Lord Hastur

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:27 pm

While not a perfect film by any means the positives outweigh the negatives many times over. Yeah, the Godzilla suit is AMAZING, Junior was really, really cool and Destroyah while having all that weight and the super-busy design somehow just works well for a Toho Monster and is fitting for Godzilla's final enemy in this series. The score kills and I have no problem with any of the actors or actresses performances either.

Count me in on it as well and now after looking back on it all, to me it somehow feels that this is finally it, no matter what happens, the series will go down fighting a la similar (in a weird way) to LOTR: ROTK.

Odd I know but that is how I feel.
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby DaveZ » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:24 pm

Lord Hastur wrote:While not a perfect film by any means the positives outweigh the negatives many times over. Yeah, the Godzilla suit is AMAZING, Junior was really, really cool and Destroyah while having all that weight and the super-busy design somehow just works well for a Toho Monster and is fitting for Godzilla's final enemy in this series. The score kills and I have no problem with any of the actors or actresses performances either.

This is a good one.

Other then the score I feel the total opposite about everything. Strange.
DaveZ
Baby Godzilla

Postby Legion » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:27 am

^^What dont you like about the Godzilla suit and (more curiously) Junior?

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:21 am

^^What dont you like about the Godzilla suit and (more curiously) Junior?

Well for Junior, if he is talking about the scenes at Haneda airport then I could understand why he would dislike Junior.
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Next

Return to The Heisei Era: 1984-1995