"Godzilla 1985" appreciation thread

Discuss the 2nd Godzilla film era here! Beam fights, revised versions of classic kaiju, the Heisei era was a mixed bag of fun and controversy!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Godzilla: 1985 question.

Postby H-Man » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:21 pm

armandv wrote:I watched Godzilla: 1985 last night and this question comes to mind:

Raymond Burr refers to a 1962 atmospheric nuclear test that knocked out systems in a 7,000 mile perimeter from Australia to California after the U.S. missile blew up the Soviet missile.

Was this 1962 incident true? :?:

It doesn't seem to be. A pretty quick one minute google search didn't reveal any information on it, but that's all I found (two or three sites).
Cody

H-Man
Godzilla

Re: Godzilla: 1985 question.

Postby armandv » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:20 pm

baragon2003 wrote:
armandv wrote:I watched Godzilla: 1985 last night and this question comes to mind:

Raymond Burr refers to a 1962 atmospheric nuclear test that knocked out systems in a 7,000 mile perimeter from Australia to California after the U.S. missile blew up the Soviet missile.

Was this 1962 incident true? :?:

It doesn't seem to be. A pretty quick one minute google search didn't reveal any information on it, but that's all I found (two or three sites).

I found an item indicating that burglar alarms were triggered, power outages, etc. were reported in Hawaii (500 miles away from the blast) in connection with the Starfish test over Johnston Island in 1962. There was a Senate hearing on this. This could be what Burr's comment was based on.
Last edited by armandv on Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
armandv
Heisei Godzilla

Postby SparkieGojira » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:33 am

I'm convinced.
SparkieGojira

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:59 pm

This is probably the only G film in which I haven't seen the Japanese version of. Though I love R. Burr's character and how they brought him back, I am under the impression from numerous articles I have read that they really butchered this film in its Americanization. One thing I would like to see is the scene of Godzilla's reflection off of a glass building, which looks amazing from pics I have seen and which for some inexcusable reason was cut from the American version....
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:37 pm

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:This is probably the only G film in which I haven't seen the Japanese version of. Though I love R. Burr's character and how they brought him back, I am under the impression from numerous articles I have read that they really butchered this film in its Americanization. One thing I would like to see is the scene of Godzilla's reflection off of a glass building, which looks amazing from pics I have seen and which for some inexcusable reason was cut from the American version....

Everything you said is totally true. While the American version is a much better paced film, the moronic characters (aside from Burr) destroy what actually might have been a decent adaptation to the original. Too many scenes are cut and reworked...people fleeing from Godzilla are often missing. The American version did eliminate many bad SPFX shots, which IMO is one positive aspect of G85.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

Re: BAMBI MEETS GODZILLA

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:22 am

MightyGhidorah wrote:When I was Godzilla vs Destroyah, I feel at times, the same feeling I got when watching 85....That whole "dark" feeling...

Speaking of this, anyone see this in the movies back in the day, and they had um..."Godzilla Meets Bambi" in the begining...some little kid next to me was crying when that happened

That's awesome! :lol:

BMD:
The Continuing Popularity Of BAMBI MEETS GODZILLA
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: "Godzilla 1985" appreciation thread

Postby lhb412 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:40 pm

I wonder if Anchor Bay even cleared the rights to Bambi Meets Godzilla for their VHS? They just copied the New World tape entirely: even retaining the out of date promo for then-contemporary New World release Transyvania 6-5000 at the end!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: "Godzilla 1985" appreciation thread

Postby H-Man » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:34 pm

Anchor Bay was the successor to Starmaker, which had apparently acquired the 1984-1991 New World Pictures library. I'd guess that when prepping the 1997 release, Anchor Bay just pulled the old New World Video master.
Cody

H-Man
Godzilla

Previous

Return to The Heisei Era: 1984-1995