[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Ranking Anguirus's showa appearance • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Ranking Anguirus's showa appearance

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

Ranking Anguirus's showa appearance

Postby DannyBeane » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:06 am

Its been a while since I've watched DAM because the crappy ADV dvd is truly awful and I am tired of waiting for the Media Blasters blu ray. Anyways after popping in the DVD I had forgotten how much of an impact Anguirus had in this movie and it gave me the idea to rank his Showa appearances since only Ghidrah, Mothra and Rodan really compare in amount of quality appearances.

1.Destroy All Monsters
This was Ang's second appearance in the series and a new suit was constructed for this film. This was his first appearance as Godzilla's ally and probably his strongest fight. What's impressive about his appearance here was that he was the first monster to lead the attack on KG, he was also the first kaiju to make KG bleed. He was also the first kaiju to kill one of KG heads. He did get beat up a bit though but overall he was one of the monsters to cause the most damage to KG.

2.Godzilla Raids Again
This was his first appearance. It also features my favorite suit and battle. Anguirus was also the first monster to fight Godzilla which I think is pretty cool. In this film he was pretty ruthless. This film (and to an extent Mothra vs Godzilla) are the only films to feature animalistic fighting. From KKvsG on the fights were more like WWE fights. As such this movie's battles are pretty unique and exceptionally brutal. Even though Ang is apparently killed. He still put on a helluva show.

3. Godzilla vs Gigan
This was the film that cemented Ang's legacy as Godzilla's sidekick. This was also the film most like a WWF tagteam match. The fighting is top notch but unfortunately Anguirus is treated like a whipping boy. He gets chased off by the military after investigating the action recording. He gets whooped by both KG and Gigan and uses the questionable tactic of running face first into a buzz saw. As much as Ang gets his butt kicked, when Godzilla finally chases off Gigan, Ang's little backwards leap attack was pretty cool. I would have liked to have seen him though get the upper hand against Gigan at some point though. His main role is pretty much to act as a distraction to take heat away from Godzilla.

4.Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
By this film the suit was getting pretty beat up. Ang had lost his fangs and his main role was to show off MG's strength and as such, he gruesomely gets his butt kicked and jaw broken. He was important to the story though as he was the one that revealed MG was an impostor Godzilla. His little intro in Siberia was cool. Anguirus always struck me as a cold weather monster. I also would have like to see him join in the battle with Godzilla and King Caesar but I understand why he was left out.

Godzilla's Revenge, and Godzilla vs Megalon were left off because they were minor cameos/stock footage. What I felt believe to be interesting is that as his friendship with Godzilla was expanded upon, Anguirus seemingly got weaker and weaker. By the GvsMG he was a punching bag and not a real threat. It didn't matter to me as a little kid though, he was and still is my favorite kaiju. He just looks cool and seems so scrappy that you can't help but root for him. Also the woodwind instrument used for his roar gives him one of the most sorrowful, unique and beautiful roars from the Showa era in my opinion. Three cheers for Anguirus!
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Re: Ranking Anguirus's showa appearance

Postby klen7 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:50 pm

1. Godzilla vs Gigan
2. The other ones.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:35 am

"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:55 am

DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby RaymondBurr » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:03 pm

Great thread, Danny! My favorite is Gigantis/Raids Again. As you say, he looks great and gives a helluva fight. I didn't realize Anguirus was such a beast in DAM though. Definitely makes me want to go back and watch again.
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby lhb412 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:29 am

lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:50 pm

I think the 68 design is perfect for the character so anything with that.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975