[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Kalat article on Sekizawa • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Kalat article on Sekizawa

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

Kalat article on Sekizawa

Postby lhb412 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:41 pm

Our old pal David Kalat wrote a neat piece on writer Shinichi Sekizawa, who was as much an architect of of Toho's science fiction series as anybody.

http://moviemorlocks.com/2014/03/29/shi ... -the-suit/

Great stuff, or what? Several things I'd never heard before about Sekizawa working with the effects and design folks on the films.

I mostly agree Kalat's opinions, but I think he might be a bit off on the new film...

lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: Kalat article on Sekizawa

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:03 pm

It's a cool write up, though I'd say I prefer a more straight-laced approach to Godzilla. I like the tone of the new film (based soley on what's been said in interviews by the director as the cast). I'd rather see that approach than the more lighthearted one....but that's just me.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:58 am

I think out of all of Toho's tokusatsu godfathers, Shinichi Sekizawa may be my favorite. For all the amazing contributions of Honda, Tsuburaya, Tanaka, Ifukube, Arikawa, Nakano, Fukuda, Sato, etc., it was (as far as I know) Sekizawa who said, "GUYS. LET'S TAKE ROMAN HOLIDAY AND PUT GIANT MONSTERS IN IT AND IT WILL BE THE BEST MOVIE EVER."

That's a really big deal for me. XD
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gojilove » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:22 am

Kalat really gives him a lot of credit for this series survival. If you have ever listened to his "Ghidrah" commentary on the classic media dvd, he really makes great points. I've always enjoyed his passion for Godzilla, really sells all of his points well. And while I agree, I've always wanted Godzilla to be more serious - the way that Sekizawa wrote the monster and people relationships in those 60s films was just brilliant, really set them apart from the competition at the time.
Gojilove
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:50 am

I like both approaches. If I write down my ten favorite Japanese monsters movies they're evenly split between more serious and more whimsical films.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:55 am

Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gojilove » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:18 am

Gojilove
Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:54 pm

I love the variety Sekizawa was able to deliver, and I loved the finished products.
And while the Roman Holiday/Kaiju thing is neat, I just love the fairy tale nature of Ghidrah.
Save the princess from the bad guys, and there's a dragon to be dealt with...but its a SPACE DRAGON!
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:15 am

I've watched more classic Hollywood romantic comedies in the past few years, and now I really feel their influence on Sekizawa's writing. His characters tend towards the eccentric, and many border on 'screwball.'

You can take a '60s Godzilla film and, without that much imagination, imagine Cary Grant or Jimmy Stewart substituting for the lead actor.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:38 am

In the article, Kalat claims that Sekizawa directed Attack of the Flying Saucers (1956) and then was called to develop Agon. After it was shut down Toho put him to work on Varan (1958). But all the sources I find point to Agon being filmed in 1964 and then Toho allowing the series to be broadcast in 1968.
Anyone?
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975