Cherenkov Light

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Cherenkov Light

Postby Jorzilla » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:05 pm

Considering a Japanese soldier wouldn't know much about nuclear bombs until the very end of the war...
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby angilas » Wed May 07, 2014 3:59 am

I feel like a terrible engineer for not even bothering to look this up when I first heard the term. Maybe because I had seen the dub since I was an infant as my fest godzilla film I thought nothing of it when I heard it clearly in the original version. Maybe I was still in hs or undergrad when the tape came. Regardless that's awesome.
I wonder if Universal urged toho to move away from the mist of the b&w films and in selecting a color for a ray to dazzle audiences looked that up, or if toho decided on blue for that reason prior to it being made.
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:14 am

Neil deGrasse Tyson: Faster than the Speed of Light
Could the Big Bang have been the result of something traveling faster than the speed of light? In answering Jeff Sloan's Cosmic Query, astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson and comic co-host Chuck Nice discuss Cherenkov radiation, sonic booms and light booms, and why a diamond sparkles. Find out how we can conduct faster-than-light experiments if it's impossible to travel faster than the speed of light in this "Behind the Scenes."
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re:

Postby Gentleman » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:31 pm

QBASS wrote:guys...up until 10 seconds ago I thought that scientist said "It looks like a Chunk Of Light" And the captain "A chunk of light?". unbelievable. after all these years. :oops:

No joke, I thought the same thing. I was just coming in here to post this. So you're not alone, bro.
I'm not a hero. I'm not a savior. Forget what you know.

I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control.
Gentleman
Godzilla Jr.

Previous

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975