[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
The Best of Akira Ifukube • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

The Best of Akira Ifukube

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

The Best of Akira Ifukube

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:14 pm

Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby we77964 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:27 am

we77964
Godzilla Jr.

Re: The Best of Akira Ifukube

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:13 pm

Wow, this is even harder than "Which Showa non-G SFX film is your favorite", a thread I started recently. I love them all.

Hmmm...in order of 1-10

1. King Kong vs. Godzilla II - King Kong vs. Godzilla

This one might not be at the top of most fans' list. But for me, it's my all time favorite theme from Ifukube. Since Beck's cronies edited out most of Ifukube's music, this theme is so overlooked it should be a crime. For fans who haven't seen the Japanese cut of KKvsG, this is the same theme Ifukube used and rearranged beautifully 30 years later for GvsKG . No song in the series does a climax monster battle as much justice as this great piece.

2. Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster - Everything.

God, I can't say enough good things about this film...I love this film to death, and it also has, imo, the best overall soundtrack of any G film, bar none. From Godzilla's theme, Rodan's theme, Mothra's theme, King Ghidorah's theme, the Shojin's Mothra song, the Discovery of the Meteor theme, the people closing shop and running from KG's impending attack, the ending theme, etc etc etc...it's the benchmark for what a Godzilla film's soundtrack should encompass.

3. Main Title/Godzilla theme - Godzilla vs the Thing

Trails only GTTHM as my overall favorite soundtrack of the series. The main title in particular is fantastic. It also showcases one of the most famous and resused "Godzilla themes"

4. Counter-Monster Warfare/Opening credits theme - Destroy All Monsters

Best damn "Monster March" theme of all time.

5. Monster Zero March - Godzilla vs Monster Zero
2nd best damn "Monster March" theme of all time.

6. Mechani-Kong's Theme - King Kong Escapes

Love the fast paced, dark tone of this theme, along with the thunderous piano chorus in it...great stuff!

7. Storm - Expo '70 - Godzilla vs. Gigan

If this is the opening credits theme to GvsGigan (I'm assuming it is...I forgot the exact name of theme), then it's definitely on the list...sets the tone for the insane chaos this crazy movie epitomizes.

8. Furious Electron Cannon Assault - The Mysterians

Great theme, fast, exciting tempo...vintage Ifukube...what more can one ask for?

9. Battle in Outer Space - Opening theme /GvsGigan - G and Angilas swimming

Great song, and worked perfectly for both its original intended film (War in Outer Space) and even better for Godzilla/Angilas' trek from Monster Island to Tokyo.

10. Varan- "Varan vs. the Fighter Bombers Neptune"/Going to City Hall -GvsGigan:

I know, it's not Ifukube's best work...but I have soft spot for it. Nothing pumps me up more when I have to go to City Hall, the Immigration office in Tokyo, the American Embassy in Tokyo, or my local Post Office (or any office for that matter) than this tune :Big-th-up:

God, I need to make a top 15-20 list....there are so many great themes I didn't mention here....Godzilla King of the Monsters' overall sountrack, Atragon's Gotengo theme, FCTW's opening, Rodan's opening and battle with the Fighter Jets ("Get Rodan"), all of Terror Of MG's themes...all of them are pure gold.

I know some have complained about the constant re-using of Ifukube tracks for the Millenium films and how they "don't fit newer G films"...I couldn't disagree more. I would mark out big time if some of his work showed up LP's 2012 film... :rockon:
:eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975