TALKBACK #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: TALKBACK #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:15 pm

^ Very interesting. For a title change like that to occur so late, I guess maybe they took a look at what they had during post-production and realized that King Ghidorah really took a back seat to Gigan in the film. Or maybe they just thought a new monster's name would be more marketable/enticing to kids.
Image
User avatar
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 5301
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: TALKBACK #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan

Postby Russzilla » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:19 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:^ Very interesting. For a title change like that to occur so late, I guess maybe they took a look at what they had during post-production and realized that King Ghidorah really took a back seat to Gigan in the film. Or maybe they just thought a new monster's name would be more marketable/enticing to kids.

I'd go with that second idea. Especially considering King Ghidorah had been in three previous movies. (With one of them titled after him)
User avatar
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: London, KY via Boston/Philadelphia

Re: TALKBACK #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan

Postby H-Man » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:38 pm

Was that picture taken at the end of filming or during it? It doesn't really make sense to take a huge cast and crew photo any other time but after production has wrapped, but the date on the plaque is 11/2/1971 (Showa 46). That seems like a long way off from the premiere date March 12, 1972. Surely there couldn't have been that much post-production to do.
User avatar
H-Man
Godzilla
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:55 am

Re: TALKBACK #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:54 am

Well regardless of post-production weren't all of the Godzilla films lined up spring releases? Maybe they just finished the film earlier but stuck with the March release schedule.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Re: TALKBACK #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:14 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:Well regardless of post-production weren't all of the Godzilla films lined up spring releases? Maybe they just finished the film earlier but stuck with the March release schedule.


This is the most likely scenario, as according to the Godzilla: Champion Matsuri (Festival) Perfection book, it was released intended for the Spring Champion Matsuri of 1972 (3/12/72).

Speaking of this book and GvsGigan, it has a fascinating new info regarding the two "Lost Project" scripts that eventually evolved into GvsGigan, Godzilla vs the Space Monsters: Earth Defense Directive and The Return of King Ghidorah

Basically, we've heard about these two unused scripts numerous times over the years (GvsSpace Monsters pitting G, Anguirus, and Maijin Tuol against KG, Gigan, and Megalon with Miko the giant space brain controlling them; and The Return of KG, which was very similar to the eventual GvsGigan film that we received, but pitting Godzilla, Rodan, and Varan vs KG, Gigan, and Mogu). However, this book clearly shows yet "another" unused idea titled "Godzilla vs Gigan: The Return of King Ghidorah, but this time pitting Godzilla, Anguirus, and Mothra vs KG, Gigan, and Megalon :shock:


Image
Image

For those who read katakana, you can clearly see the kaiju names in this proposed synopsis...
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
User avatar
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2367
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:10 am
Location: Kanto Region, JAPAN

Re: TALKBACK #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan

Postby klen7 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:23 am

I hadn't heard of that before. I believe the Godzilla Encyclopedia's covered the other two. here's some artist interpretation from those books


ebirahsmeg1 wrote:GvsSpace Monsters pitting G, Anguirus, and Maijin Tuol against KG, Gigan, and Megalon with Miko the giant space brain controlling them

Image


ebirahsmeg1 wrote:The Return of KG, which was very similar to the eventual GvsGigan film that we received, but pitting Godzilla, Rodan, and Varan vs KG, Gigan, and Mogu

Image
User avatar
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7227
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 pm
Location: beyond your peripheral vision

Re: TALKBACK #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:43 am

Neat stuff. I especially love that Megalon was an idea/name being thrown around that early.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Re: TALKBACK #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:00 pm

Need to rewatch this again. This movie flips a lot in my ratings because the strongest parts of it have nothing to do with the kaiju stuff. The last time I tried to watch this I was very entertained for the human stuff, and kind of just nodded off when the kaiju bits started to happen.
FTW
User avatar
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 9917
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:27 am
Location: Ohio

Re: TALKBACK #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:24 am

Here are some random, interesting behind the scenes photos of the two lovely main ladies(Tomoko Umeda and Yuriko Hishimi) from GvsGigan:

Image
Image
Image
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
User avatar
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2367
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:10 am
Location: Kanto Region, JAPAN

Re: TALKBACK #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan

Postby Jared » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:38 pm

I love this cheap little movie. The first half features some of the series' most entertaining characters with a creative comic-book effect, and the second is just pure-out monster spectacle, no holds barred. A lot of stock material abounds, for better (Ifukube) or for worse (stock footage used in extremely poor taste). Regardless, it isn't difficult to assume that the people who made GODZILLA VS. GIGAN had a hell of a time doing it.
User avatar
Jared
Baby Godzilla
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:06 am

Re: TALKBACK #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan

Postby EricDent » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:15 am

I watched this earlier via the recent Blu-Ray release from Kraken Releasing.
While it looks a lot better than I remember it ever did, I kinda wonder why there were no song subtitles for the ending song (and yes I tried all the sub options).

Does anybody know who actually drew all that manga style art?
It looks very similar in style to Speed Racer.
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
User avatar
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:29 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: TALKBACK #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan

Postby MrShape666 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:57 pm

I always get a kick out of the fact that the theme park the cockroach guys are building looks pretty lame. If you look at it, it looks like it wouldn't take more then an hour or two to see everything. Of course, they're main plan was world domination, not competing with Disneyland, so it makes a certain kind of sense.
This is THE SHAPE speaking.
User avatar
MrShape666
Little Godzilla
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:48 am
Location: Hell

Re: TALKBACK #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan

Postby battrafan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:12 pm

klen7 wrote:I hadn't heard of that before. I believe the Godzilla Encyclopedia's covered the other two. here's some artist interpretation from those books


ebirahsmeg1 wrote:GvsSpace Monsters pitting G, Anguirus, and Maijin Tuol against KG, Gigan, and Megalon with Miko the giant space brain controlling them

Image


ebirahsmeg1 wrote:The Return of KG, which was very similar to the eventual GvsGigan film that we received, but pitting Godzilla, Rodan, and Varan vs KG, Gigan, and Mogu

Image


Mogu kind of reminds me of Dagahra.
battrafan
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:06 am

Previous

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests