TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Reaper G » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:55 am

Yeah, I rather doubt those are meant to be taken seriously.
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:29 am

And finally, this discussion brings me to the last of my Godzilla trilogy viewing for the day and what can I say but this movie is absolutely boring. The monster fights are so tedious. I do not even understand the point of Godzilla's and Hedorah's first encounter as half of the battle is Hedorah just crouch over on the ground as Godzilla stares at him. Maybe this is where Akira Toriyama got his idea for DBZ's fight scenes from, as they pretty much do the same thing. Only difference is, Hedorah probably really is constipated. The music is so bland and slow, and half of the time it is not even present when there is a monster showdown. Add on top the stupidity of the characters. Hell, the characters are so stuipd that Heodrah even backed away from them when part of him entered the night club. He probably thought, "OH hell no, I am not assimilating them into myself, I would have a negative IQ." Which brings me to my next point, the movie is way too preachy. I understand protecting the environment was the purpose of the 70s hippy crap, but they crammed 10 years worth of preaching into 90 minutes. It was way too much overkill. And those anime scenes added absolutely nothing to the movie other than drag it on. Oh yeah, and let me not forget about how incompetent the military is in this movie. Lastly, a phucking flying Godzilla. I so what to photoshop that Godzilla with a shark beneath him because that is exactly what he did in this movie. He jumped the god damn shark. I could handle a little brat dreaming about being friends with Minilla. I could deal with Godzilla going eye crazy for a girl for no reason. BUT FLYING!! OH HELL "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" NO!!!

On the positive side, Hedorah himself was a cool concept and I have to give it to the designs of his costume for they did an incredible detail on him. I still think he was designed by an 8 year old, but every time those jeep lights shined on him you could see some really nicely done details, especially in the eyes. I also do love how his eyes were a bright red that was very vibrant in the dark scenes as it really helped him stand out from other characters. Which also reminds me, it was nice to see battles done at night time for once. I don't even think King Kong vs Godzilla had an actual night time battle.

With that said, I hate this movie, but I do applaud for what it was attempting to do, even if it was done way too much. And for having a year break between movies, there is no reason why this movie could not have been much better. I know some people absolutely love it, and I can sort of see their points of view, but for me, I hardly fine any enjoyment out of it and like All Monsters Attack, it is only watched when I do a complete Godzilla marathon. Whether you agree with me or not does not matter, as this is how I see the movie and how I have always seen the movie.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:56 am

Okay..
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Goji 84 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:23 pm

Wtf :lol:
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby Rodanex » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:58 pm

Dr Kain wrote:On the positive side, Hedorah himself was a cool concept and I have to give it to the designs of his costume for they did an incredible detail on him. I still think he was designed by an 8 year old, but every time those jeep lights shined on him you could see some really nicely done details, especially in the eyes.

I guess it was a very talented 8 year old.
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:54 pm

It bothers me that Kain and I share similar views on a film...

thankfully, they are not identical, or I'd feel myself forced to watch this movie over and over and over to confirm that I'm losing my mind.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Gojilove » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:09 am

As bizarre as this movie is, and how controversial the whole flying thing is. I just watched this movie again for the first time in a while. And after watching every Godzilla movie before it the previews days I gotta say, from a technical standpoint Hedorah is really fantastic.

I'm pretty sure there is zero stock footage which is a big deal for a 70s toho scifi movie. The atmosphere created is completely different than the island themes that we had been treated with over the past few installments.

And other than the actual flying puppet, the effects are far superior to the previews two or three films, and head and shoulders over what we get until mechagodzilla.
Gojilove
Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:04 pm

I really feel like this is a decent movie; the story is somewhat original, which is something I like to see every once in a while. I don't prefer it as much as I do the other seventies films, but I do think it's put together better than Megalon or Gigan.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:07 pm

I love the movie, but even when I put my fanboy-ish love aside I still think we're left with a pretty decent flick. The flying scene doesn't even bother me, it's more or less the puppet. Even so, I'd say this is still on of my favorite Godzilla films.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby briizilla » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:49 pm

GoJiRa07 wrote:As bizarre as this movie is, and how controversial the whole flying thing is. I just watched this movie again for the first time in a while. And after watching every Godzilla movie before it the previews days I gotta say, from a technical standpoint Hedorah is really fantastic.

I'm pretty sure there is zero stock footage which is a big deal for a 70s toho scifi movie. The atmosphere created is completely different than the island themes that we had been treated with over the past few installments.

And other than the actual flying puppet, the effects are far superior to the previews two or three films, and head and shoulders over what we get until mechagodzilla.

Agreed. This movie gets hate because of the flying scene. The fx are the best of the 70s movies. The story sticks more to the serious side of things and actually presents a monster that kills and horribly maims people and also really kicks the crap out of Godzilla at one point. The score is completely strange, which to some is a negative but I like it.

But then Godzilla flies, and that sequence just stops the whole show in its tracks. It's easily the biggest gaffe Toho made with the character IMO. Its effect on the movie taints all the cool stuff that had gone on to that point and really ruins the last 15 minutes to boot. Just knowing the scene is in the movie makes me rarely bother to watch it because even when I think of the great stuff about the movie, my brain overrides it with the image of Godzilla flying. Its a bummer because Banno seems to have had some interesting ideas if only someone had reined him in a bit.
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby Goji 84 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:54 pm

The flying Godzilla sequence lasts all but a couple of seconds. Yeah, it's stupid, but it doesn't extend it's welcome.

Godzilla's jig on Planet X doesn't ruin MONSTER ZERO for most people, and this is hardly different.
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:57 pm

Goji 84 wrote:The flying Godzilla sequence lasts all but a couple of seconds. Yeah, it's stupid, but it doesn't extend it's welcome.

Godzilla's jig on Planet X doesn't ruin MONSTER ZERO for most people, and this is hardly different.

Weeellll, I feel like the jig is less "wat" than Godzilla flying. I mean, I still love GvsHedorah, and the flying is the only thing I ever have a problem with. Even so, anymore I just enjoy the moment for all of its absurdity.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby briizilla » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Goji 84 wrote:The flying Godzilla sequence lasts all but a couple of seconds. Yeah, it's stupid, but it doesn't extend it's welcome.

The jig is sort of a comic relief moment though. The flying scene is integral to Godzilla defeating Hedorah. It's supremely corny, he uses his tail like a rudder and the music cue just adds to the cheese factor.
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:48 pm

As much as I love the film, I agree that the idiocy of Godzilla flying is WAY worse than Godzilla's dance on Planet X. In fact, Godzilla flying might just be the dumbest thing in the entire series.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby briizilla » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:44 pm

MouthForWar wrote:As much as I love the film, I agree that the idiocy of Godzilla flying is WAY worse than Godzilla's dance on Planet X. In fact, Godzilla flying might just be the dumbest thing in the entire series.

I agree with your agreement.
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:40 pm

Spacegodzilla was the dumbest thing in the entire series.

Waitaminute, maybe the fact we see every damn wire holding Megaguirus up even though three decades earlier they were able to hide the wires was the dumbest thing...
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby briizilla » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:51 pm

lhb412 wrote:Spacegodzilla was the dumbest thing in the entire series.

Waitaminute, maybe the fact we see every damn wire holding Megaguirus up even though three decades earlier they were able to hide the wires was the dumbest thing...

My hatred of megaguiras knows no bounds.
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby Mac » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:29 pm

I'm pretty sure the visible wires is a Sony disc problem, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla has the same issue.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby SeaHawk » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:53 pm

The wires holding up Angilas in GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA can be seen plain as day in Toho's HD remaster, too.
SeaHawk
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:41 am

Still, at least Godzilla doesn't pull the most ridiculous power of all time out of nowhere to save the day in either of those films... which are worse than Hedorah, but... yeah, I stick by my statement. Flying Godzilla is the dumbest thing in all of Godzilladom (Godzilladumb?)
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:15 am

SeaHawk wrote:The wires holding up Angilas in GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA can be seen plain as day in Toho's HD remaster, too.

Those wires could be seen in the VHS tape from Starmaker too.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:49 am

MouthForWar wrote:

Still, at least Godzilla doesn't pull the most ridiculous power of all time out of nowhere to save the day in either of those films... which are worse than Hedorah, but... yeah, I stick by my statement. Flying Godzilla is the dumbest thing in all of Godzilladom (Godzilladumb?)
Agreed. A wire showing is flawed execution...Godzilla flying is a fundamentally flawed concept.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby The Real McCoy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:04 am

MouthForWar wrote:Flying Godzilla is the dumbest thing in all of Godzilladom (Godzilladumb?)

Godzilladom is officially a new word now. :lol:

I'm going to have to agree with the flying Godzilla haters. The jig in Monster Zero and the flying kick in Megalon (my personal favorite) just seemed to work in their respective contexts. I guess that would be the best way to put it. The flying scene just gave off a bad vibe to me. It by no means ruined the movie, but it did kind of disrupt the action a little.

And about the wires showing, it doesn't bother me too much, though it does make it look weird. I watched Son of Godzilla on my new Blu-ray player a week or so ago, and I saw a lot of wires in that movie. Maybe I was seeing things, but I swear I saw the seams in the matte paintings of the sky in the background. Has anybody else seen that, or am I just losing it?
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Goji 84 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:33 pm

MouthForWar wrote:In fact, Godzilla flying might just be the dumbest thing in the entire series.

Yeah, I can agree with that; it totally is.
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:34 pm

Watching all of the Showa Gamera films recently made me realize how much they influenced Yoshimitsu Banno for this movie. He made Godzilla a hero to a child, complete with goofy theme music, and made him fly. The monster fights entail graphic injuries and civilian extras get skeletonized.

Though I have to say that Godzilla vs. Hedorah is a better film than every Showa Gamera entry. It's really one of the most creative, noteworthy films in the entire Godzilla series.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975