TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby Russzilla » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:37 am

Smog Monster was always one of my favorites. I still remember seeing this for the first time as a kid in the ‘70s on Creature Double Feature that Saturday afternoon. I thought Hedorah was one of the coolest monsters I’d ever seen. And during that time around my way, watching a Godzilla movie was an event, as around this time, Godzilla movies really started going into heavy syndication, especially ones that hadn’t had their world broadcast premieres on television yet. Smog Monster was one of them when I first saw it.
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby UltraDada72 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:46 am

This is also one of my favorite Godzilla films as well. For a long time I had wanted to watch it, only knowing about it from reading the Ian Thorne Godzilla book (which I still own a copy of that I scored off ebay several years ago). It finally came on TV and when I first saw it, I loved Hedorah's design(s), found many of the aspects just weird (the club scene, the cartoons, the random and odd style and tone), and it just seemed like an odd acid trip. To this day I still find myself occasionally singing the English dub of Save The Earth, which I know all the words too. :lol: :lol: :lol:
UltraDada72
Baby Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun May 26, 2019 5:43 pm

This movie had a lot of thought put into it and it shows. Love or hate Banno's directorial style, the film's pacing and attention to detail are very deliberate.

Godzilla vs. Hedorah has been one of my favorites since the first time I saw it and even after all these years, I'm still noticing new things when I rewatch it. Today I just realized that Godzilla doesn't willfully activate the electrodes to fry Hedorah the first time he blasts them. Godzilla learns his atomic breath can do that by accident when he means to blast Hedorah.

At the outset of their battle at Mt. Fuji, Hedorah hits Godzilla with several acidic sludge splats, including one on Godzilla's face which leaves his left eye swollen shut for the remainder of the film.

After lasering Godzilla and leaving him writhing on the ground, Hedorah targets the people. Godzilla gets Hedorah's attention again with a blast of atomic breath. Uncharacteristic of Godzilla, his atomic breath misses his target a little to the right, because now he's aiming with just his right eye.

When the military is able to lure Hedorah with flashing headlights, they get him to walk between the electrodes but they don't yet have the power to activate them. Godzilla once again reinstigates his fight with Hedorah using his atomic breath, again missing Hedorah by aiming too far to the right. This inadvertently activates the electrodes.

But Godzilla wouldn't have known at first what those electrodes would do. He couldn't know that the humans were struggling to activate them or that his atomic breath would inexplicably do the trick. Once he saw the result he kept doing it but when he activated the electrodes that first time, I think Godzilla did it completely by accident due to Hedorah burning his left eye and throwing off his aim.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Previous

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975