TALKBACK #9: Destroy All Monsters

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

TALKBACK #9: Destroy All Monsters

Postby lhb412 » Mon May 25, 2009 10:18 pm

This film is filled to the brim with monsters, city destruction, models, rocket ships, flying saucers and just about anything else you could want - but the human characters really aren't interesting or quirky like, well, pretty much every film in the Showa Series. Shows just how important the people are in a Godzilla film.

...but so what if it's not the best film of the series? Its full of fun. There is an abundance of neat monster scenes, everyone usually thinks of the attack on Tokyo and the final battle with Ghidorah, but I have a soft spot for the opening with the monsters living peacefully on Ogasawara. Rodan eating was a high point (when else do we see these monsters eat?... besides Garia, of course).

For me this is always the newer film in the Showa series. It wasn't the last one I saw, that was GRA a few years later, but GRA is so obviously a very old film wheras this is big, showy and in color, so it still has newness to me. I remember how excited I was to get ADV's VHS back in early 2000 (how fun would it have been if I got it in 1999?).
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon May 25, 2009 11:14 pm

i remember this film fondly. Specifically because it was the last Showa film I ever got to watch. I remember when I got it I watched it excessively. It was also great because at this point I had never seen most of the movies Gorosaurus, Manda, and others had starred in so I got to see them all for the first time in this movie. The Final Battle was epic when I was 9 and it's epic now. While it has gotten lower in my ranking of the series it's still good for a watch now and again. It also introduces my favorite Godzilla suit from the Showa era, and the more memorable Angilas suit.
Last edited by MekaGojira3k on Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kent » Tue May 26, 2009 1:02 am

This one is always a fun film. I remember getting the VHS back in 1999. I was so stoked on New Year's Eve as well, because it was the last film I saw in the 1999 year as the film itself is in 1999.

It's a fun romp with a decent score from Ifukube. Over time this film has kind of lost a little bit of its luster with me. Probably because of my ever-evolving tastes I guess. Almost watched the movie today actually. Plan on seeing it again soon.
kent
Little Godzilla

faVORITE

Postby Xenorama » Tue May 26, 2009 1:05 am

this is my all time favorite Godzilla movie. saw it in 1973 on tv for the first time, and naively thought every monster would be in it. didn't disappoint me in the least that every monster wasn't in it.

just love it.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:43 am

First one of the nine so far that I've had to watch the dub for...one of the only ones where I don't have ANYTHING that I could use to pass for a subtitled version...

oh well

its a fun film but it never really struck a chord with me

maybe its another case of "read way too much about it before getting to see it" type of thing, but it just never popped for me...

it intros the Godzilla suit that is probably the most recognizable, the Anguirus suit, and an AMAZING final battle though...

funny to think that in 1969 they thought goin to the moon would be like driving to Florida or somethin

the monster scenes are great, but the human drama doesn't do much for me at all and one of the more overlooked monster scenes is the attempted attack on the kilaaks where Godzilla destroys some tanks and Rodan fights SY-3...its neat though
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby metal_bryan » Tue May 26, 2009 1:04 pm

This was the last movie of the Showa era that I saw, and I was quite a bit older by then, so my opinion isn't as high... simply because of the lack of childlike emotional connection. It's still a really fun movie to watch though. You really can't go wrong with SO MANY monsters running around!
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Tue May 26, 2009 8:05 pm

I agree with lhb412's statement that the characters, or the story for that matter, aren't nearly as interesting as they should be, but that doesn't keep this flick from being a joy to watch. If you ever get the opportunity to see/hear the AIP dub for the film, you should definitely take it. The "international" dub used for ADV's releases and TV showings is absolutely atrocious. The AIP-dubbed version is a tremendous leap forward in quality and makes the less-than-striking human drama a lot easier to handle.

As for the monsters, it's a joy to see so many of them sharing the screen, though I must say that Rodan and Ghidorah both look pretty lousy in comparison with earlier appearances. The Godzilla suit is one of my absolute favorites, and Nakajima's spirited, energetic performance stands out as one of his best in my mind. Adding that to the splendid scenes of destruction, a rousing Ifukube score, and the exciting climactic showdown makes for a fun entry in the series.
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby fools-gold64 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:12 am

Really is an awesome movie, but I don't quite dig it as much as I think I should (which sounds weird). Something about it falls flat, and it might be the fact that ALL the monsters gang-bang Ghidorah to death at the end. That's not a battle, that's a Rodney King beating.

Still, like others have said, this is an incredibly iconic movie, stuffed to the brim with monsters, and just a total blast.

BONUS: The DVD of this is the first Godzilla film I ever owned. :)
fools-gold64
Godzilla Egg

Postby Rodanex » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:03 pm

fools-gold64 wrote:Something about it falls flat, and it might be the fact that ALL the monsters gang-bang Ghidorah to death at the end. That's not a battle, that's a Rodney King beating.

:lol:
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby G2KMaster » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:40 am

The film would have been better if the Manda sequence was added, deleted Ghidorah scenes from Monster Zero added in as "stock footage" which is "new", and Ghidorah killing one of the kaiju before he dies.
G2KMaster

Postby Jon Leo » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:35 am

G2KMaster wrote:The film would have been better if the Manda sequence was added, deleted Ghidorah scenes from Monster Zero added in as "stock footage" which is "new", and Ghidorah killing one of the kaiju before he dies.

I see in no way how any of that would make it better.

I think its perfect fun as it is.
Jon Leo
Little Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:12 pm

Mothraleo wrote:
G2KMaster wrote:The film would have been better if the Manda sequence was added, deleted Ghidorah scenes from Monster Zero added in as "stock footage" which is "new", and Ghidorah killing one of the kaiju before he dies.

wasn't the 'manda footage' an on-set joke or something that just happened to be captured but was NEVER intended to make the film?
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby G2KMaster » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:23 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
Mothraleo wrote:

wasn't the 'manda footage' an on-set joke or something that just happened to be captured but was NEVER intended to make the film?

To MothraLeo:
There is not enough kaiju action. There needs to be more.

And the Manda footage was shot but taken out due to it being confusing. Two monsters on the same side attack eachother? I always made sence out of it in that I figured both kaiju (Goji and Manda) were programed by the Kilaaks to destroy. Period. So they crossed paths and fallowed their "destroy" motive.
G2KMaster

Postby Legion » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:57 pm

G2KMaster wrote:There is not enough kaiju action. There needs to be more.

I think the opposite. And how can you add more to a movie that's over 40 years old?

And the Manda footage was shot but taken out due to it being confusing. Two monsters on the same side attack eachother? I always made sence out of it in that I figured both kaiju (Goji and Manda) were programed by the Kilaaks to destroy. Period. So they crossed paths and fallowed their "destroy" motive.

No, Manda footage was shot but removed because it wasn't in the script. It was simply Nakajima fooling around in the Godzilla suit with the Manda puppet while the cameras were still rolling. Since it wasn't in the script and obviously didn't make sense in the finished film it wasn't included.

And now you know.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby G2KMaster » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:26 pm

You can't, you can only wish. Though one thing: have you ever seen the VHS tape "TOHO UNUSED SFX FOOTAGE"? There are some alternate scenes from "Monster Zero" in which would go great. Have Ghidorah trash Japan alittle before attacking the other kaiju. And thoes alternate scenes are clean - I mean they looked just as good as the CM DVD. But meh.

DAM is a dry film. Ok, but dry.
G2KMaster

Postby Legion » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:38 pm

G2KMaster wrote:You can't, you can only wish. Though one thing: have you ever seen the VHS tape "TOHO UNUSED SFX FOOTAGE"? There are some alternate scenes from "Monster Zero" in which would go great. Have Ghidorah trash Japan alittle before attacking the other kaiju. And thoes alternate scenes are clean - I mean they looked just as good as the CM DVD. But meh.

So you're condoning the use of stock footage (unsued or not, it wasn't filmed for Destroy all Monsters and it's still obvious what film it was supposed to be from) in order to beef up a film you think didn't have enough monster action to fit you're tastes? That makes so much sense.

Either way, considering all the unused footage from MZ is nothing but clips of military vehicles (including the A-Cycle Light Ray) and shots of the large Godzilla foot prop falling apart I really have no idea what you're talking about. I'm thinking you're recalling footage shot for Ghidrah that was shown without the animated gravity beam effects, is that it? If so, that makes even less sense, since all that stuff DOES show up in the finished film anyway.

And having King Ghidora trash Japan (Tokyo has already been destroyed) before fighting the other monsters makes absolutely no sense in the context of the movie anyway.

DAM is a childhood favorite of mine and my all-time favorite Godzilla movie. A classic. But to each his own.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby G2KMaster » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:10 pm

Legion wrote:
G2KMaster wrote:You can't, you can only wish. Though one thing: have you ever seen the VHS tape "TOHO UNUSED SFX FOOTAGE"? There are some alternate scenes from "Monster Zero" in which would go great. Have Ghidorah trash Japan alittle before attacking the other kaiju. And thoes alternate scenes are clean - I mean they looked just as good as the CM DVD. But meh.

So you're condoning the use of stock footage (unsued or not, it wasn't filmed for Destroy all Monsters and it's still obvious what film it was supposed to be from) in order to beef up a film you think didn't have enough monster action to fit you're tastes? That makes so much sense.

Either way, considering all the unused footage from MZ is nothing but clips of military vehicles (including the A-Cycle Light Ray) and shots of the large Godzilla foot prop falling apart I really have no idea what you're talking about. I'm thinking you're recalling footage shot for Ghidrah that was shown without the animated gravity beam effects, is that it? If so, that makes even less sense, since all that stuff DOES show up in the finished film anyway.

And having King Ghidora trash Japan (Tokyo has already been destroyed) before fighting the other monsters makes absolutely no sense in the context of the movie anyway.

DAM is a childhood favorite of mine and my all-time favorite Godzilla movie. A classic. But to each his own.

Stock footage which looks alot better than what Gigan or Megalon had.

Nope, there is alot more than that which was cut out or shot from an alternate point. A whole lot more. Go get the tape or get some DVD-R of it and see for yourself.

Yep, that is what it seems.
G2KMaster

Postby Flame of Udin » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:31 pm

G2KMaster wrote:

Nope, there is alot more than that which was cut out or shot from an alternate point. A whole lot more. Go get the tape or get some DVD-R of it and see for yourself.

Not really. Most of what was cut from DAM are from the monsters attack on Tokyo scene. They filmed the scenes for hours and had alot of technical difficulties with the props which I believe is what you are referring to.

There is nothing that needs to be added to DAM....with the exception of the Baragon and Manda on Ogasawara test shots, and filming a scene or two with an actual Varan suit wouldn't have hurt either.
Last edited by Flame of Udin on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:52 pm

Flame of Udin wrote:
G2KMaster wrote:

Not really. Most of what was cut from DAM are from the monsters attack on Tokyo scene. They filmed the scenes for hours and had alot of technical difficulties with the props which I believe is what you are referring to to.

There is nothing that needs to be added to DAM....with the exception of the Baragon and Manda on Ogasawara test shots, and filming a scene or two with an actual Varan suit wouldn't have hurt either.

Agreed...although I also agree that KG destroying a city or two would have been nice on his way to Mt. Fuji. Ya know, I haven't seen this movie in years...soon think I know what I'll be watching next weekend.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:51 pm

King_Ghidorah wrote:
Flame of Udin wrote:
G2KMaster wrote:

Not really. Most of what was cut from DAM are from the monsters attack on Tokyo scene. They filmed the scenes for hours and had alot of technical difficulties with the props which I believe is what you are referring to to.

Agreed...although I also agree that KG destroying a city or two would have been nice on his way to Mt. Fuji. Ya know, I haven't seen this movie in years...soon think I know what I'll be watching next weekend.

OK, so you have Godzilla and co. quickly approaching to destroy the Kilaak base, why on earth would they have Ghidorah destroy a city when you have a whole bunch of giant monsters that are way pissed off at them less then a mile away?
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:56 pm

Finding reason in a Godzilla movie is like trying to squeeze a drop of soda from an orange...you can try all you want, but more often then not, it's just not gonna happen so you might as well enjoy it for what it is..

Dramatically, I felt as if the audience needed reminding why it takes all the monsters to beat KG...seeing him totally demolish a city before hand more quickly and more devestatingly then any of the other kaiju might have added a little menace to the fight...just nit picks really...I love the film, it's not perfect but it's darn good fun.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby G2KMaster » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:21 pm

Flaming Urdin: I was tlaking about alternate scenes from Monster Zero being put into DAM.

King Ghidorah: YES!!!!!!!

Flame of Udin: King Ghidprah's explaination is awesome.
G2KMaster

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:42 pm

I recently rewatched this film. I found that I didn't like it as much as I used
to. It seemed to drag in spots, but....when it didn't boy was it grand. I love so much of this film. The final battle is awesome no matter what happens. I like the weird costumes of the Moonlight crew/the kilaak and their culture/and how it comes together don't get me wrong. I just find that the film has gone down on my scale of enjoyment over the past few years.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Garasharp K7 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:49 am

Watched the flick the other day. T'was the AIP cut too. I love how the Kilaak leader explains how they're basically going to roll in and wipe everyone out in such a nonchalant manner: "I wouldn't say anyone has anything to fear from us, but we are going to control you now." Heck, she just casually admits they're going to murder everyone if mankind doesn't get with the program. :)
And I gotta dig the Kilaaks themselves - a bunch of beautiful women* in glittery capes might not seem like your typical extra terrestrial invaders - certainly not along the same lines as the Baltans, Metron or Kemur-jin - but they still have an otherworldly quality to 'em. Especially when their true mineral-based nature is revealled: I always liked that scene with the immobilised Kilaaks, and you'd see this little vestigial thing retreating into the metallic rock.
And I can't forget the monsters: from the early Monster Island intro, to the brief worldwide rampage, the destruction of Tokyo and on to the great final battle - so many memorable scenes there.

I tend to think of 'Destroy all Monsters' as the quintessential Showa era G flick. It's the one that sums up what's so great about the series at that time. Sure, the original is in a league of its' own and all the others have something good going for 'em, but DAM has it all - shedloads of monsters, fun story, great cast, fantastic music - it took all the best elements from previous films and crammed 'em into one flick - and it works. (Well, some might disagree, but it works for me)

*come to think of it, were there any male Kilaaks? I have to admit I never noticed. :D
"Godzilla's the one with the bad breath." - Minya
Garasharp K7
Godzilla

Postby G2KMaster » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:24 pm

NOTE: After going over the Toho DVD, it was not deleted scenes from MZ but from GTTHM. Alternate version of his main attack.
G2KMaster

Next

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975