TALKBACK #7: Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

TALKBACK #7: Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster

Postby lhb412 » Sun May 10, 2009 10:40 pm

Thank god Sony stuck with the old title. You here that Toho? "Astro Monster" and "All Monsters Attack" are fine, but "Ebirah, Horror of the Deep" stinks!

Anywho, we come off the holy-Honda-trinity into Fukuda's scaled-down first entry in the franchise. The film is set on a single tropical island to save money on all the various miniature city sets constructed for all the prior films resulting in a less epic story. The plot is built on various contivancies and adventure cliches. The special effects aren't as good.

...but boy is it fun. Wonderful color, plucky characters playing cat-and-mouse with baddies, Godzilla and several other monsters smacking each other around, and a general lack of clothing for Kumi Mizuno's character.

Is this the first time the Godzilla's breathing sound effect is used? I love that.

The fights between Godzilla and Ebirah are a nice change of pace, what with them having to take place in water.

-Then there is the giant condor. The funny thing is that when I was a kid I would foget about this scene altogether, being suprised whenever I watched the movie again and saw the scene. Weird eh?

I also remember watching this film all-the-way-through on the Disney Channel as a kid. Boy, what a different channel that was then. I remember watching lots of European cartoons (like Tintin) back then.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

fun

Postby Xenorama » Mon May 11, 2009 1:38 am

this was one of the last Godzilla movies I ever saw- probably didn't air in my region until the late 70s, if not actually the early 80s. it didn't disappoint, though it was way different than what i was expecting.

sure do miss the Titra/Titan dubbing on this one though.

I am sure Sony kept the US title (since Ebirah was the "International" one) so they could let everyone know it was a Godzilla movie easily. much like the "Godzilla vs Monster Zero" titling.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby INVINCIBLE HASTUR » Mon May 11, 2009 9:22 am

First one I ever saw .. And I was just a Toddler.

I think it's fantastic.
INVINCIBLE HASTUR
Godzilla Jr.

Postby McGodzilla » Mon May 11, 2009 10:05 am

INVINCIBLE HASTUR wrote:First one I ever saw .. And I was just a Toddler.

I think it's fantastic.

Me too! I have very fond memories of seeing Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster on the local UHF channel 20 in the late 80's on Saturday afternoons. They use to have a program called the "Thriller Double Feature" which would show classic monster movies, 50's sci-fi, and the occasional Vincent Price film. It was one of thos Saturdays that I saw this film, and I have been hooked ever since! I still remember the ending where the people are encouraging Godzilla to get off the island at the end before it blows up. I always enjoyed that scene, never knowing the long history of Godzilla's transformation from villian to hero.
McGodzilla
Baby Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon May 11, 2009 10:34 am

I got this with Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster and Fantastic Dinosaurs of the Movies (I think that's what it was called.) in a three pack for Christmas 95. It was awesome. I got to open it Christmas eve, so I watched MechaG that night, and Christmas day I rushed down stairs...not to my presents, but to the television to watch this movie.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:21 am

...we can't say C-O-N-D-O-R?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: fun

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:30 pm

First Godzilla movie I ever saw...I still love it to this day, but I gotta say...after watching (almost exclusively) the AWESOME classic media discs up to this point, this disc kinda disappoints...apparently, SONY doesn't think enough of it's general audience to have the credits in english with subtitles...also, the lack of any original trailer and stuff shows easily the difference between CMs "Lets release these for the fans" strategy and SONYs "Lets make a quick buck" strategy...

I remember how much I loved this movie as a kid though, and I also constantly forget about the big ole giant flying bag of carpet samples and whenever i watch this movie, i'm always caught off guard by the scene

also, BEST GODZILLA VS. FIGHTER JETS SEQUENCE IN THE HISTORY OF GODZILLA MOVIES

i really dislike the godzilla suit here and the general treatment of godzilla is a bit below-par...

Xenorama wrote:sure do miss the Titra/Titan dubbing on this one though.David

yeah, i made myself a DVD copy off my old VHS tape for that...I watch that if I wanna watch the dub I remember and I watch the SONY DVD if I wanna watch the subtitles...
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Mon May 11, 2009 6:43 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:...apparently, SONY doesn't think enough of it's general audience to have the credits in english with subtitles...

Uhh...the credits on the Sony disc are in English. :? I love the Sony disc, even though the "international" dub is atrocious. Seeing it in its original language with subtitles and in a beautiful widescreen presentation is wonderful.

This was my first Godzilla film as well, and I still love it dearly. I still have that same tape (the one whose cover is featured in jellydonut's avatar), and I just might have to watch it again soon. Man, that dubbing was great.

Though the Godzilla suit is in pretty lousy shape, it still looks terrific in a few shots, most notably the fighter jet sequence, which I do believe is the best scene of its type in the entire series. The movie would have made a little more sense if Kong had been in it, but Godzilla works pretty well as a substitute. Mothra and the giant c o n d o r (seriously?) both look pretty rough, but Ebirah is a triumph as far as I'm concerned.

I absolutely love the characters--just watching them carry the story along makes me think I'd still like the movie if there weren't any monsters at all. Add on top of that one of the coolest scores Sato ever wrote for any movie, and you've got a fine entry, one of my personal favorites.
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:20 pm

Actually, if you remember the treatment of Godzilla for decades of pan-n-scan TV versions, VHS releases, and also the early DVD released (Sony/Tristar, Goodtimes KKvG, and the first Classic Media batch) Sony's widesceen and dual langauge discs were seen as a huge leap forward.

We're spoiled now, but lets not forget that Sony's Mothra/ H-Man/ Battle in Outer Space release will feature the original English versions and commentary tracks.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby planetxleader » Mon May 11, 2009 11:14 pm

The only thing that keeps the Sony DVD from being the perfect, "definitive" copy of the movie is the absence of the AIP dub, which is great. The film itself is enjoyable whether you're watching the AIP dub, the Japanese original, or even the international dub. It's just so much freaking fun; a great adventure. I would love to see an adventure/quest style Godzilla movie like this again.
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kent » Tue May 12, 2009 12:30 am

This, like some of you, was also my first Godzilla film. I couldn't get enough of it when I was younger! Granted, I don't watch it as often, but I did get a viewing in here a few months ago.

Sony did a nice job in putting it in widescreen, cleaning up the picture, and putting in the scenes that were deleted from the VHS version. However, the VHS had the much superior dubbing. I can't get over how laughable and exceptionally crude the dubbing is on this one. Especially one character whose voice is so high-pitched that it doesn't even sound close to being a real person's voice at all.

Not the best entry in the series, and it's often overlooked. It is extremely fun and one that holds a lot of nostalgia for me.
kent
Little Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:22 am

Tyler E. Martin wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:...apparently, SONY doesn't think enough of it's general audience to have the credits in english with subtitles...

Uhh...the credits on the Sony disc are in English. :?

I meant Japanese...

and I agree that at the time, the Sony discs seemed AWESOME, but now they clearly pale in comparison to the CM discs...
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:20 pm

Even though Sony's cover art for this film leaves something to be desired (it stinks), the image on the DVD itself is really cool: Godzilla's eyes seen through murky water surrounded by a few concentric circles as though its an image seen through a periscope. Pretty cool.

Will try to watch SoG tomorrow.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Fri May 22, 2009 10:21 am

One of my favorite Godzilla films overall. It's so much fun to watch, like all the Fukuda films. Paired with Son of Godzilla, it's the top of the old movies for me as far as enjoyment on rewatch. Nothing brings a smile to my face like this movie and the next.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby G2KMaster » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:25 pm

G2KMaster

Postby The Dark Uniter » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:06 pm

This film is may not be as grand as Invasion of Astro Monster or other Toho sci fi films, but overall its a good entry in the Godzilla series. If you listen carely, the Ebirah theme plays almost like the James Bond main theme song! Good music, interesting plot, overall good movie.
Formerly known as TylerPreston
The Dark Uniter
Godzilla Jr.

Postby TXKaiju » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:41 pm

This is not one of my favorate Godzilla movies. However it does have great underwater battle scenes!! I love the fight between Godzilla and Ebira when they are in the sea. even better is when you can see them fight underwater. I think Kumi Mizuno looks awesome as Dayo in this movie. What i dont like is the Godzilla suit the arms are very baggy and once again it seems that Godzilla has a problem with electricity just like he did in King Kong vs. Godzilla. Whats kind of weird about this movie is that Godzilla is discoverd inside of a mountain. The question is how in the heck did he get there in the first place?
David Nunez Gojira11354
TXKaiju
Little Godzilla

Postby The Dark Uniter » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:38 pm

Um, this is not conformed information, but at the end of Invasion of Astro Monster, Godzilla along with Rodan and King Ghidorah all went into the water guessing they drown to death. Maybe Godzilla was wash up to shore to the Red Bamboo's island and was brought into the cave to sleep.
The Dark Uniter
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Legion » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:43 pm

The Dark Uniter wrote:Um, this is not conformed information, but at the end of Invasion of Astro Monster, Godzilla along with Rodan and King Ghidorah all went into the water guessing they drown to death.

That's pretty out there. I can assure you that's not true.

Maybe Godzilla was wash up to shore to the Red Bamboo's island and was brought into the cave to sleep.

Sea Monster breaks the (loose) continuity that was established in all the other Godzilla films before it. You're not supposed to think too hard about why Godzilla ended up in that cave because there really is no explanation for it. It's just Godzilla in a cave. Of course you could just say that Godzilla was in that cave because King Kong was supposed to be in that cave in the original script.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Dark Uniter » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:18 pm

Yeah, I made up the answers in the ``what if`` type of response since they're not true. 8-)
The Dark Uniter
Godzilla Jr.

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:19 pm

I've done a full review for this movie as well
CLICK HERE

i can almost guarantee that i am far too kind toward this movie, but i guess in the world of movie reviews, that happens every now and then...the movie really pales in comparison to everything that comes before it and quite a few things that come after it but i just cant get it in me that it's inferior because without this movie, i wouldnt be on these board, reviewing these films...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby H-Man » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:20 pm

The Dark Uniter wrote:Maybe Godzilla was wash up to shore to the Red Bamboo's island and was brought into the cave to sleep.

The Red Bamboo don't know Godzilla is on the island. They even make it a point to say that in the film.
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:17 pm

Yay! for this movie. Re-watched it last night. It, along with Son of Godzilla, represent a truly awesome aspect of the Showa films. The idea that monsters are commonplace is seen in things like the fairies appearance on television in Ghidrah, the Three Headed Monster is awesome. However, this film, and the next, take that to the max. The story at the heart of this is just that a couple of random people end up on an island that is one HQ for a terrorist organization.

It's so great. It's maybe not as mundane as the scientific research on an island plot of SOG (which I prefer to this film), but I really dig the idea of a Godzilla film driven by entirely crazy/yet plausibleish stories. Before, in things like Monster Zero and Mothra vs. Godzilla, humans/aliens directly affect the action, but it's always through manipulation of the monsters. Here, and more so in SOG, the story is wholly separate from the kaiju (Unlike MvsG and MZ in which the kaiju are key). Mothra is somewhat key in being the means of escape, but that's it.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:22 pm

I absolutely adore this movie. I can't think of anything else better to say. The pace seems right, even though you don't see Godzilla for most of the movie. The events leading up to his appearance are interesting and fun (although why you would want to break into an army base with five people and a sword, I don't know), and don't seem to drag it down any. I've heard people argue that the characters are bland and underdeveloped, but I don't see it. I can think of one movie I've seen Akira Takarada in that I didn't love him, and it wasn't this one. Kumi Mizuno is just interesting everywhere she turns up, and the other three did a pretty good job. The music is one of my favorite parts of the movie. Masaru Sato composed some of my most favorite soundtracks, and I almost wish he'd done more Godzilla movies.
I hate that this one gets passed over so much; it's really a great movie.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:54 pm

Daiyo is an interesting character if only to see Kumi Mizuno not be evil in a Godzilla movie.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Next

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975