TALKBACK #7: Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:53 pm

I don't think any of the old Godzilla films ever really bored me, least of all this one.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mbozzo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:34 pm

'Godzilla Versus The Sea Monster was a good movie. I remember seeing it for the first time on television. The Sea Monster was controlled by a group of bad guys who enslaved the native people of an island in the Pacific Ocean. The bad guys made the mistake of waking Godzilla, and send their Giant Crab after him. I like how in the end, Mothra rescued his people while the bad guys got what they deserved. :D
mbozzo
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:20 am

i allowed myself a double-feature last night and i was not disappointed.

i love this movie. i love the characters. i love the spy-like subplot. i love the music. i love it.

it's got some weak parts. the godzilla suit is just okay (but it's the look of godzilla i would have most identified as a child), the opposition monsters are all pretty weak (either in ability to combat godzilla [ebirah] or in execution [the condor and mothra]), and the general plot gets off to a hilariously bad start - are these three guys friends? why would anybody, even a bank robber who doesn't own the boat, allow three strangers to spend the night on the boat? how contrived can the first 10 minutes of a movie be? but it's a really fun film.

i especially love the go-go music during the jet sequence and i still maintain this is the absolute best Godzilla vs. Jets sequence in the history of the series.
the movie is also very bright and colorful. The Red Bamboo sure know how to build a secret nuclear weapons base that is pleasing to the eye. :lol:

over the years, other films may have overtaken this one for me in terms of enjoyability, but this is still a favorite of mine.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby metal_bryan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:25 am

You echo my sentiments, jelly. There is too much about this film that I love to let the little things tear it down. I feel the same about Son Of Godzilla.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:59 pm

I really like this films despite its flaws. It's not A-tier, but its too much fun to not love it a great deal. I think the monsters in both this and Son of Godzilla aren't that great, BUT everything else about it works so well that it doesn't matter.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:22 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:I really like this films despite its flaws. It's not A-tier, but its too much fun to not love it a great deal. I think the monsters in both this and Son of Godzilla aren't that great, BUT everything else about it works so well that it doesn't matter.
i think the monsters in son of godzilla are pretty great...Kamacuras increases in strength throughout the movie (a concept that i rather enjoy...the sense that the radiation is ever changing the mantises) and Kumonga puts up quite the fight. i also think they are executed excellently.

as for Minilla, i honestly have no problems with the way he looks or his portrayal.
Godzilla is the only one in Son of that gets shafted a bit, but at least he still kicks butt and takes names.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:25 pm

The only flaw I see in Son of Godzilla is Godzilla's ugly ass face. Everything else is great, but I sometimes feel more fondly about Sea Monster because it's a little bit more fun to watch.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:26 pm

Sea Monster has stronger antagonists for the human characters, which is what makes it perhaps more appealing.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Legion » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Sea Monster has Kumi Mizuno. So while the Godzilla suit ends up looking like Cookie Monster, at least the female lead is easy on the eyes.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Sea Monster probably has a stronger cast, but I feel the characters are better utilized in Son of, a tighter plot.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:17 pm

lhb412 wrote:Sea Monster probably has a stronger cast, but I feel the characters are better utilized in Son of, a tighter plot.

Yeah, this is probably closest to how I feel.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:07 pm

I think this is the best of the Fukuda films. Son of Godzilla is great, but I think this one has way better characters.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby metal_bryan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:13 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
lhb412 wrote:Sea Monster probably has a stronger cast, but I feel the characters are better utilized in Son of, a tighter plot.

Yeah, this is probably closest to how I feel.

This is how I feel too.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby Gojizilla » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Where was this movie filmed?
Gojizilla
Little Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:06 pm

MouthForWar wrote:I think this is the best of the Fukuda films. Son of Godzilla is great, but I think this one has way better characters.

Absolutely agreed!
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:17 pm

I'm kind of in the middle with Son and Sea Monster. Both of them have really cool stories. The scientific aspect of Son of Godzilla was very cool. But I like the terrorist organization angle from Sea Monster. It felt fresh among a series that was largely dominated by space monsters and alien races. A terrestrial threat was a great idea, in my opinion. I liked the characters a little more too.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gojilove » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:24 pm

I really do enjoy this film. My only complaint as always been how shoehorned Godzilla is.
Gojilove
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:04 pm

I've always wanted to see the Red Bamboo pop up again...even just as a nod/in-joke/reference, I thought it'd be cool.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby eabaker » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:14 pm

I certainly think Sea Monster and Son of Godzilla are Fukuda's best entries in the series. For me, the go-go-go pace of Sea Monster doesn't work quite as well as the tension-relaxation-tension-relaxation of Son of Godzilla, but both are great fun.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:13 pm

^Pretty much my thoughts as well.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu May 30, 2013 7:31 pm

I wish there would have been another film featuring the Red Bamboo.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Ben Wagner » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, is, as many others have said, a middle point in the series.

I wish that the Red Bamboo would have been featured a bit more, as their story was interesting. I would even go as far to say, I wish the only enemy for Godzilla, was the Red Bamboo. Which bring us to Ebirah, who I think is a "interesting" Kaiju. Seeing Godzilla spend as much time in the water, is also intriguing.

As for the actors, they are okay. Akira Takarada turns in another great performance, while he plays Yoshimura. Kumi Mizuno is memorable as Dayo, and does a passable job. The others are quite forgettable though, which I think is the script's fault. Rather than the actor's.

I really liked the ending, where the island explodes, and Godzilla jumps into the ocean. Sometimes, I just watch that scene. The Red Bamboo's demise is one of my favorite villain demises in the series.

Overall, it's a fun Godzilla movie, that's not without it's problems.
Ben Wagner

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:02 pm

Most Godzilla movies are not without their problems. Most of them are not quite as fun as this film, however.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Rodanex » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:11 am

My VCR just ate my only copy of this film....I'm sad now. :(
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:22 am

V....C....R????
Gills.