TALKBACK #7: Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:28 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:
The Real McCoy wrote:You know, I didn't find out about that until this year. I thought it was an interesting fact. But really, the only really "Kong-like" things he did was fall asleep and check out Kumi Mizuno.

And can be revived by electricity.
ehh...I don't think this is that big of a stretch.

They never really say it empowers him or anything, it's meant to wake him up. I'm sure if you were asleep and someone gave you an electric shock, it'd jolt you awake.

Granted, as we all know, Toho's Kong was elecrtically empowered and this was a nod to that, but making it a way to wake up Godzilla isn't necessarily a Kong exclusive.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:30 am

Yeah it's not Kong exclusive, but knowing this was to star Kong and then having it happen to Godzilla...the connection is not unfounded.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:08 am

I have a soft spot for this one, really. The general vibe of this movie just draws me in: the colorful setting and costume design, the jazzy surf-rock soundtrack, the overall lighthearted tone. I'm hard-pressed to come up with good criticism. I guess the giant condor was lame, and I'm no big fan of the Godzilla suit in this and the previous film, but those are really just cosmetic things.

As for the King Kong/Godzilla debate at hand... yeah, I can see why Kong might be a better fit for this movie than Godzilla, given how Godzilla acts like him in many respects here. On the other hand, it's kind of refreshing to see Godzilla act somewhat differently from his usual self. It's actually one of the other things I like about this film: we get to see him chill out and take it somewhat easy, at least for a few minutes. This Godzilla might be a pretty chill dude if he were human.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:14 am

Oh god, I just watched this movie and I had forgotten how awful it is. It is truly a dreadful movie. It is boring, the characters are one dimensional, the plot is nonsense, and the Godzilla costume is absolutely attrocious looking. It looks extremely warn out and dirty. Add on top that he is way out of character. I mean seriously, who approved of this script? Godzilla sits unnaturally and stares at a girl. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. And then he has this stupid little brawl with this bird that he waits to toast when he could have just toasted it immediately. Add on top that Mothra is someone in adult form now when in the next movie she appears in she is back to being a Larva. This makes little sense and is an insult to Godzilla movies. Sad thing is, this isn't the worst movie in the series. At least the Red Bamboo were pretty cool villians even though they are never heard of again in any other movie.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:24 am

Kain, just to save myself some time and effort, this is my default response to every single post you make:
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:31 am

Dr Kain wrote:Add on top that Mothra is someone in adult form now when in the next movie she appears in she is back to being a Larva.

Simple explanation based on what we've seen of Mothra's life cycle: The Mothra in Sea Monster is the larva from Ghidrah, only now she's all grown up. DAM takes place several years in the future, leaving plenty of time for this Mothra to lay her egg, die, and have the new larva we see in DAM to take over.

Problem solved.

As for everything else:

Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:39 am

Tyler E. Martin wrote:Kain, just to save myself some time and effort, this is my default response to every single post you make:

:lol:
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Legion » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:39 am

This forum REALLY needs some sort of block/ignore feature.

I dunno what drug he's taking, what he's drinking, if he's actually got some sort of issue or if he's doing it for the lulz, but Kain's bizarre way of posting stopped being funny a long time ago.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:45 am

Legion wrote:This forum REALLY needs some sort of block/ignore feature.

I dunno what drug he's taking, what he's drinking, if he's actually got some sort of issue or if he's doing it for the lulz, but Kain's bizarre way of posting stopped being funny a long time ago.

So no one is allowed to think this movie is crap? Man, wait until I post my thoughts of Godzilla's Revenge and Hedorah once I rewatch them, as those blow the crappiness of this movie out of the water.

If you like it, fine, but I do not like seeing my Godzilla eyeing some girl, sitting down unnaturally to go to sleep, and all that crap. that is not Godzilla. Even the battle with Ebirah is uninspired and boring. All they do is stare at each other and play volleyball with rocks for half of the fight.

I'm sorry, you are right, this movie is the greatest most awesomest Godzilla movie ever. How did they even continue after this masterpiece.

If you don't like my posts, then don't read them. However, its funny, if I don't praise a Showa movie, you guys get on my ass. However, when I do praise it, I am pretty much ignored. Why do you only focus on the negative comments I make and ignore the positive ones?
Last edited by Dr Kain on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby briizilla » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:52 am

:? So...anyway...

I wonder if Mothra was to be included in the King Kong version or was she added later? It would have been cool to have Kong fight another Toho star. Anyone out there have any info on that? August?
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby Goji 84 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:52 am

Legion wrote:This forum REALLY needs some sort of block/ignore feature.

Yeah, I mean, when I'm rolling my eyes at everything this guy is posting, that either means I'm just a grade A douchebag, or that he has that affect on just about everyone. Pretty sure it's the later.

I was a more of a lurker in the past, but the first post of his that made me scratch my head was all that bellyaching about the Shout Gamera disks not being packaged in a way that pleased him, or something along those lines.

Anyways...despite the water damaged Daisenso-Goji suit, and Godzilla not seeming all that Godzilla-like at times, this is still a personal favorite of mine. There isn't much to say that hasn't been said already by others, so I'll try to keep it short; The island setting was a refreshing change of scenery, the music f'n rocks, Ebirah looks great, and the characters are some of the most likeable in a Toho fantasy film (Yay, Akira Takarada XD).

Sure, it's not the same caliber as MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA, GHIDORAH, or MONSTER ZERO, but so what? Because it immediately followed the release of those films, it seems to get some unwarranted hate at times. One poster on a another forum once claimed this film was "the start of Godzilla's downfall". Yeah, not even close.
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:05 pm

Goji 84 wrote:Yeah, I mean, when I'm rolling my eyes at everything this guy is posting, that either means I'm just a grade A douchebag, or that he has that affect on just about everyone. Pretty sure it's the later.

I was a more of a lurker in the past, but the first post of his that made me scratch my head was all that bellyaching about the Shout Gamera disks not being packaged in a way that pleased him, or something along those lines.

Oh my god, really? :roll: Do you take everything you read on the internet seriously?

Sarcasm is lost in the world of text. Seriously people, lighten up, get that stick out of your ass, except that people have a different opinion from you, and stop taking everything so seriously.

The island setting was a refreshing change of scenery

I do agree with this, it was a nice change.

, the music f'n rocks, Ebirah looks great, and the characters are some of the most likeable in a Toho fantasy film (Yay, Akira Takarada XD).

I do like Ebirah's theme, especially when he rises out of the sea when the two Infant Island people were trying to flee.

One poster on a another forum once claimed this film (and Jun Fukuda in general) were "the start of Godzilla's downfall in the Showa era". Yeah, not even close.

See, I have to agree with that. I mean, there were still good movies afterwards, such as DAM, Gigan, and the two MechaG ones, but the movies following Ebirath were hit or miss compared to what came before.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Reaper G » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:28 am

Ebirath?
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:48 pm

Goji 84 wrote:One poster on a another forum once claimed this film was "the start of Godzilla's downfall". Yeah, not even close.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets tired of that garbage. If I remember correctly, this is the guy who said that if Fukuda had directed Spacegodzilla it would have been a crappier film.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Mac » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:07 pm

This is the film where Godzilla takes a nosedive....

LITERALLY!
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:06 pm

Dr Kain wrote:
So no one is allowed to think this movie is crap?

Sarcasm is lost in the world of text. Seriously people, lighten up, get that stick out of your ass, except that people have a different opinion from you, and stop taking everything so seriously.

Aw, boo hoo *breaks out violin*

You have the right to post any opinion you want....and likewise, if most here disagree with your unpopular views (i.e. like your assinine comments regarding the successful raid against Bin Laden awhile back) then we also have the right to exercise our freedom to rip your views to shreds. Don't like it, then don't post, get a hobby beyond just posting on message boards from your parents' basement, and stop b*tching about it....
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:33 am

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:You have the right to post any opinion you want....and likewise, if most here disagree with your unpopular views (i.e. like your assinine comments regarding the successful raid against Bin Laden awhile back)

Uh, what comment? Do you mean the fact that someone will just replace the cowardly "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!"?

get a hobby beyond just posting on message boards from your parents' basement, and stop b*tching about it....

Wow, if I am posting from my parent's basement I must have teleportation powers because I am currently in Colorado and they are in New York. Check your facts before you make an assnine unoriginal comment. :roll: :lol:
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:25 am

briizilla wrote::? So...anyway...

I wonder if Mothra was to be included in the King Kong version or was she added later? It would have been cool to have Kong fight another Toho star. Anyone out there have any info on that? August?

Mothra was indeed in the original Kong version.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:13 am

Dr Kain wrote:
Wow, if I am posting from my parent's basement I must have teleportation powers because I am currently in Colorado and they are in New York.

Eh...I could say I'm from "Timbuktu" in my profile and claim it as fact...who would know?

Regardless, in addition to making no sense with illogical, uneducated arguments and being completely clueless about most of these films, you write like a 12 year old to boot (I strongly recommend using grammar/spell check before posting, as adults normally don't write so poorly), hence why I came to this conclusion.

Check your facts before you make an assnine unoriginal comment. :roll: :lol:

It may be unoriginal, but in most cases it is "oh so true"....

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:16 am

briizilla wrote::? So...anyway...

http://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_room ... ebirah.htm

Basically, the script was altered very little from the final product....

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby RaymondBurr » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:33 am

Does this forum have an active Moderator?

At least you guys are representing G-fans well. I mean, no one expected folks who love giant monster movies to be able to have a rational, mature conversation, did they?

Can we give "respect" and "good faith" a shot?
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:44 am

RaymondBurr wrote:Does this forum have an active Moderator?
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Shonokin » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:19 pm

RaymondBurr wrote:Does this forum have an active Moderator?

At least you guys are representing G-fans well. I mean, no one expected folks who love giant monster movies to be able to have a rational, mature conversation, did they?

Can we give "respect" and "good faith" a shot?

Apparently not?

Please keep your comments towards other members of the SciFiJapan community civil. Their ideas? That's something else. That's what discussion is about, right? Try to be mature enough to understand what is appropriate.

Thread unlocked.
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby Irish Gfan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:47 am

As a kid, I hated this one because I felt it was so boring.

I've come to appreciate at it more as time has gone on though. I think my major beef with it though is how much of a step down the opposition is for Godzilla. I mean he went from Silver Screen Icon King Kong, to the 2nd most popular monster in Japan Mothra, to King Ghidorah, a friggin 3 headed dragon to fighting a Giant Crab...yeah, that's pretty weak.

Ebirah was clearly no match for Godzilla, and it never felt like he was in any kind of danger here when it came to his monster opponent. The fight scenes are kind of fun (Volley Ball! With rocks!) but there was never any question who was winning that fight. Actually, Ebirah winning would have been tough to swallow.

I did like the whole secret terrorist organization plot. It really gave this movie something different that most of the other G-Films never had. Normally its either alien invasion, or make a super weapon to fight Godzilla. But this is different and it deals with a group of people being made into slaves by heartless killers. Its pretty interesting. I also liked that Godzilla was not the hero here, but rather an obstacle for both the Red Bamboo & the group of plucky heroes to deal with.

So I've lightened up on this film. Its still very slow in places, but it takes a different direction and deserves some props for that. I'll say its OK.
Irish Gfan
Little Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:52 pm

Irish Gfan wrote:As a kid, I hated this one because I felt it was so boring.
Blasphemy!

I put this one right up with Monster Zero for wacky fun and engaging human sub-plots.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

PreviousNext

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975