TALKBACK #7: Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:14 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:Daiyo is an interesting character if only to see Kumi Mizuno wearing little clothing.

Fixed
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:21 am

MouthForWar wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:Daiyo is an interesting character if only to see Kumi Mizuno wearing little clothing.

Fixed

lololol
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:40 am

I actually found her more sexy in some of her other titles, but she has this "cute" thing going on in this film, and it drives me nuts. I just want to pick her up and squeeze her. After that, well that's a different story.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby rockstarbd82 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:47 am

Ahhhh Godzilla vs The Sea Monster

So many mixed feelings from everyone on this film . . .

Everytime this film is mentioned among fans I always get these constant criticisms on why they think the film sucks. Criticisms like "there's barely any monster action", Godzilla looks like the "Cookie Monster", "this is more Kong's film", & "it takes place on a secluded island." I'm sry to say that I have to respectfully disagree with all these. Here's why:

Lack of Monster Action: Ok yeah I'll admit it took awhile for the monster action to get going. However this is one of the better human stories in a gfilm and probably the last time most of TOHO's "golden cast" was all together in one film. Takarada, Mizuno, Takazume, even the Dr. Serowaza actor. Can't go wrong with that. When Godzilla does appear, his wake up through the cave entrance is just bad @$$. And his fights with Ebirah, probably one of his best fights in all the g-films. Even though the fight cherography was hard to pull off in the water, it really comes off as 2 giant monsters wanting to kill the hell out of each other. And I will agree that the fighter jet scene is def the best Godzilla vs Jets scene in all the G-films put together. Great mattes, great suitmation, just a lot of fun watching that.

Godzilla = Cookie Monster: Maybe a slight likeness but not an exaggerating one by any means. This argument really gets me cuz if you say that about this Godzilla here, then you have to say that about Godzilla in "Monster Zero" (becuase its the same exact suit). Just feels like a funny criticism for ppl who hate this film. And compared to the previous suits, this one looked like it had easier movement and allowed for better fight choreography.

This is more Kong's film: I think we all know Kong was originally intended for this film, so I won't go into that. Yeah its weird seeing as how TOHO never seems to make up its mind as to whether electricity hurts or strengthens Godzilla. Me, I let it slide cuz it worked from a story aspect. Godzilla protecting Daiyo, still remains one of my fav Godzilla moments. True it feels out of place, but i always watched it with the mentality "Hey, even Godzilla needs lovin too ;)". Also I think it helped establish Godzilla's face turn from "Ghidorah" more for the films that would follow later.

Island Setting: Probably the best factor of this film. I see it as a nice change of scenery and a good "seperation from society" theme. It lets us see more of Godzilla when he's not stomping around in Tokyo. Also the fact that Godzilla is fighting against nuclear terrorists makes the plot even more interesting (even for today).

All in all, I feel this film never gets the credit it deserves in the Godzilla series. Just cuz it ended up on MSTK doesn't make it a bad film. And if I remember correctly I believe this film never got a theatrical release but a television debut on both Japanese/American TV. Bottom line I loved this film as a kid, and I still love it the same today. The epic adventurous feel, bad @$$ monster fights (minus vs condor), and light hearted comedic moments (esp from the old dubb) never cease to amaze me. Thats why its in my top 10 :wink:

oh and one other thing . . .

"I'm sry suhhhh, I thout it wuz a "toy" and I stahhted playing with it" . . .
:lmfao:
"ooooo GODZILLA is "roasting" KING KONG.!!!!"
rockstarbd82
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:36 pm

rockstarbd82 wrote:Takazume...

Who?
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby rockstarbd82 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:38 pm

Tyler E. Martin wrote:

Who?

The Spiderman esque "editor" from Mothra vs Godzilla who played the Terrorist General here.
"ooooo GODZILLA is "roasting" KING KONG.!!!!"
rockstarbd82
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:24 pm

rockstarbd82 wrote:
Tyler E. Martin wrote:

Who?

The Spiderman esque "editor" from Mothra vs Godzilla who played the Terrorist General here.

Jun Tazaki. You really threw me for a loop there, sorry.
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:12 am

The movie just starts out rather oddly, but it gets better as it goes.

It was rather odd that Godzilla would be stuck inside a cave.
Yeah I know it was supposed to be King Kong (which also explains the whole lighting waking him up thing).

It was rather funny that Eibrah was frightened by lemon juice.
Wonder if the claw ever washed up somewhere and they had a huge lobster feast?

I always kind of wondered what happens to the Red Bamboo after the movie. I also kind of wondered why exactly Godzilla would want to run away from a potential atomic snack when the island went boom.
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:18 am

What I never got is why does Godzilla still act like King Kong after he replaced him? You think they'd rewrite it a little more to make it fit.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:50 am

I think that's why I prefer Son of Godzilla to this island film.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Destroysall » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:57 am

The Real McCoy wrote:I actually found her more sexy in some of her other titles, but she has this "cute" thing going on in this film, and it drives me nuts. I just want to pick her up and squeeze her. After that, well that's a different story.

:lol:

On another note, while I did think Godzilla acted like Kong, I did not know that this film was supposed to star Kong. While I can see the judgement on Godzilla's character in the film, I think it was interesting to see him take on the role of Kong.
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:52 am

You know, I didn't find out about that until this year. I thought it was an interesting fact. But really, the only really "Kong-like" things he did was fall asleep and check out Kumi Mizuno. The rest of his actions were Godzilla-ish; fighting another monster, destroying the Red Bamboo base, and fighting jet-planes. All very Godzilla-ish.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Goji 84 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:05 pm

Am I the only one who wishes this did star Kong?

I mean, I love it just the way it is, but I'm a big fan of the Toho Kong films, and it would have been great to see him in at least one more staring role.
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:09 pm

I would have loved to see Kong in this. I just said that to say that I think that the "Godzilla acts too much like Kong" argument is a little misplaced.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:38 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:You know, I didn't find out about that until this year. I thought it was an interesting fact. But really, the only really "Kong-like" things he did was fall asleep and check out Kumi Mizuno.

And can be revived by electricity.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:44 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
The Real McCoy wrote:You know, I didn't find out about that until this year. I thought it was an interesting fact. But really, the only really "Kong-like" things he did was fall asleep and check out Kumi Mizuno.

Well! I guess I forgot something!

But still, am I the only one who thinks that Godzilla's actions in this film don't seem weird? Maybe it was because I didn't know about this until this past year, but even after learning about it it was still the same film to me. Sure, it made sense, but nothing changed.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:46 pm

Maybe, but this Godzilla stands out, in my opinion, as being a tad bit more easy going and hero-like than any of the other incarnations until Godzilla vs. Hedorah.

Kong was always portrayed as a hero in Toho productions, so it really makes sense. Godzilla even goes back to being more or less a big animal in Son of Godzilla and a somewhat ambiguous (ala Monster Zero) kind of character in Destroy All Monsters.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:02 pm

I never really looked at it that way; it does make a lot of sense.

A little change of subject here, but what was the deal with the goofy music during the jet-plane fight? It was kind of random.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:05 pm

That was what Godzilla plays when he's fighting jets.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:16 pm

Well, he was kind of dancing when it first started playing.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:16 pm

If you want a better take on Kong by Toho, then check out King Kong Escapes.
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:29 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:

And he's living in a cave when he should be living in the ocean.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:39 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:Maybe, but this Godzilla stands out, in my opinion, as being a tad bit more easy going and hero-like than any of the other incarnations until Godzilla vs. Hedorah.

My own interpretation of Godzilla's actions in this movie: after two solid years of Mothra and Ghidorah related shenanigans (not the least of which was being hurtled back and forth through outer space) Godzilla just wants to sleep... for like a year. So when the lightning strikes him in this film he's only like 6 months in, and for the rest of the movie he's always trying to lay down and get some shuteye but he's always interrupted by some jackassery, only getting good and mad and taking things seriously towards the end.

This is a very fun way to see it.
:D
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:46 pm

lhb412 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:Maybe, but this Godzilla stands out, in my opinion, as being a tad bit more easy going and hero-like than any of the other incarnations until Godzilla vs. Hedorah.

My own interpretation of Godzilla's actions in this movie: after two solid years of Mothra and Ghidorah related shenanigans (not the least of which was being hurtled back and forth through outer space) Godzilla just wants to sleep... for like a year. So when the lightning strikes him in this film he's only like 6 months in, and for the rest of the movie he's always trying to lay down and get some shuteye but he's always interrupted by some jackassery, only getting good and mad and taking things seriously towards the end.

That explains why he twice hesitates to stick around with Minilla in Son of Godzilla.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:26 am

lhb412 wrote:

I like it.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975