Ranking the Showa Films

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

Ranking the Showa Films

Postby Irish Gfan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:18 am

Its always fun to go back and look at the older Godzilla films. Even the bad ones have a unique charm to them that just make them classical.

But I'll go ahead and rank those bad boys. Here we go, from worst to best!

15) Godzilla vs. Megalon - It has some elements that makes it fun like Jet Jaguar & the super dropkick, but heavy over usage of stock footage, a boring human plot, and probably the worst soundtrack of any G-Film makes this film my personal pick for worst in the series.

14) Godzilla's Revenge - Yes the red headed step child of the series. It all takes place in a boy's mind, Minya talks, and the usage of stock footage is so immense that it makes you think you are watching a Godzilla Best of Reel. All that said, I have to admit this is kind of a guilty pleasure film for me. It's just so awful I can't help but enjoy it a little bit, which saved it from being ranked 15th, but the bad reputation it has is well deserved.

13) Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster - I've come to like this one a little more as I've gotten older, but as a kid it just bored me to tears. First problem is that Godzilla has no good match up here. Ebirah was just lunch meat, and that condor? Give me a break. Going from King Kong, Mothra, Rodan & Ghidorah and then to Ebirah, it just seemed like a big step down for Godzilla. However, I did enjoy the fight scenes, and some elements of the plot were interesting as well.

12) Godzilla Raids Again - This one kind of falls under the spell of sequelitis where it just doesn't live up to the original in any way. The dark tone & perfectly executed monster scenes are gone. The sped up fights were weird looking, and the plot never raised above the level of standard run of the mill monster movie. Some people love it for the debut of Anguiras, who I am a huge fan of, but this wasn't exactly a spectacular debut. I will say this though. The battle with Godzilla and the planes in the icy canyon was awesome.

11) Godzilla vs. Gigan - Now this one COULD have been one of the best in the series had the budget been better. Most of the flaws revolve around cost cutting measures like usage of stock footage, limited monster action (they don't really do anything until really late in the movie), Almost all of the music being recycled from Ifukube's work, Godzilla's suit falling apart, & Ghidorah's puppet being lame. But there were alot of elements I did like. I loved the whole story with the Scooby Doo gang getting invovled to stop the aliens. It was a very different twist & fit perfectly for a 70s film. Gigan was totally bad ass & easily one of my favorite Godzilla foes. And if you ignore the stock footage, the final battle is extremely epic with Godzilla bleeding for the first time, a few cool stunts like Anguiras flying backwards, driving his spikes into Ghidorah, & the whole bit with the Godzilla Tower was great. Like I said, this could have been one of the best and most enjoyable Godzilla films, but unfortunately it suffers from failed potential.

10) King Kong vs. Godzilla - This was the ultimate Monster Dream Match. Its a really fun movie, and as a big fan of both monsters, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for it. This was the first Godzilla film to try and be less serious and have fun with the material. In some ways it works and other ways it doesn't. Like I said, the movie is a lot of fun, but without the serious tone, I think it also robbed the movie of the truly epic feel that both monsters deserved in their first meeting. Hopefully its not the last though. If I had to pick one G-Film from the old series that I'd like to see remade, it'd be this one.

9) Son of Godzilla - Depending on how much lightheartedness you are willing to accept, this is either a really good entry or a really bad one. Personally, I've always enjoyed it, and I feel like its a great family film, making it the perfect selection to have your kids watch if you want to introduce them to Godzilla. One thing I have to praise is the puppetry. The work that went into Kumonga & Kamackaras was nothing short of amazing & it still looks good today. The realy heart of the film comes from the interactions between Godzilla & Minya, which to me are really cute scenes that show a different side of the Big G. Overall the film is nothing spectacular, but I feel its a somewhat overlooked entry.

8) Godzilla vs. Monster Zero - Some see this film as the end of the Golden Age in the series (personally I think its Destroy All Monsters, but meh) This movie is special for a lot of reasons. Most notably it was the 1st entry to use an alien invasion plot, which would become the norm later on in the 60s & 70s. The movie isn't heavy on Monster Action, but the human plots are interesting enough to carry the load (You stinkin' rats what did you do to her!) Overall, its a really fun Sci Fi/Monster Movie, and a definate highlight in the series. Be sure to catch Godzilla's victory dance!

7) Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster - This is another one that you either love or hate. I think this movie is just so weird & so bizarre that it has to be considered one of the best. I mean it was just so wacky & crazy! But it also had its really horrifying moments as well. I feel like the director was on drugs when he did this. Hedorah was always one of my favorite Godzilla foes with a unique look & great abilities and powers. And of course no conversation about this movie is complete without mentioning that song "Save the Earth!" Gotta love it. Godzilla had pretty much been a good guy througout the 60s, only exceptions being when he was under alien control, but this was the 1st film to truly depict Godzilla as a Super Hero type, giving him a moral stance on an important issue, a little kid buddy & cheesy music. The works! Overall, some may see this as one of the most heavily flawed films in the series, and I think there is some merit to that, but this movie is just so out there that it truly stands out as probably the most unique movie in the series.

6) Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - This is the one that returned the series to a respectable level. After decreasing in quality with entries like Revenge, Gigan, & Megalon, this movie was able to be fun & entertaining while also delivering well in other aspects that were glaring problems in the other films (NO STOCK FOOTAGE!) The scenes with Mechagodzilla were just amazing, and its clear that alot of work went into making him cool. There have been tow other versions of Mecha-G, but the original is by far my favorite. He just looks menacing, and nothing can beat the sight of him just letting all his weapons fly at once. The battles also get pretty violent in this one, which is a plus to me. King Seesar is a fun monster as well, despite looking like a poodle. The film has its really cheesy elements, but thats alot of the fun with the movie, and they improved greatly in other areas, making this one a gem in the series.

5) Terror of Mechagodzilla - This was the only one of the Super Hero Godzilla movies that was done with a serious tone, and it worked quite well. First of all, Dr. Mafune is probably my favorite non-Kaiju villain in any G-Film. He is actually an interesting character. On the monster side of things, Godzilla is still the hero, but is given somewhat of a Batman-like treatment (loved his entrance) and has a bit more of that badass edge to him that was missing in some of the 70s films. Mechagodzilla is once again very well executed, & Titannosauras is a great addition to the cast of kaijus, making the final fight a great one. Also, it is interesting to note that this is the first time that Godzilla openly accepts help from the humans as he holds Titannosauras for them to use their device. This was a great finale to the original series, even if it didn't really feel like one.

4) Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster - This was the first true monster mash of the G series, and combining the three big stars to face an incredible new foe just made this film worth every minute. Godzilla vs. Rodan is a fight I've always wanted and this film is the closest we've ever had to it as they spent most of the movie beating the tar out of each other. Ghidorah is a very impressive creation, and it isn't hard to see why he instantly became one of Toho's big monster stars. I also liked how they made Godzilla into a good guy for this one. He wasn't quite turned into the friend of humans, but they managed to put him in a situation where he was able to step into the role of good guy without it being too forced. The whole plot with the Princess & Martians is unique, and provided some fun, evne though it does seem like two movies are going on at once. The monster action is what makes this one truly special though.

3) Godzilla vs. Mothra - Plot wise, this is probably the best in the series. I mean what a great situation: The humans have to beg Mothra to help save Humanity from Godzilla, even though it was humans that stole Mothra's egg. There are so many philosophical & morality points that can be made there, you could have entire discussions about it. But these films are all about the monsters, and who better to match up than Mothra & Godzilla? Both monsters were represented extremely well with clearly defined roles of good monster & bad monster, and an excellently executed finale all made this one of the true classics in the Godzilla series.

2) Destroy All Monsters - Its the ultimate Monster Mash. Not even Final Wars could top it really. Basically the movie is just Godzilla vs. Monster Zero with everything turned up to the max, and the end result is one of the most entertaining Kaiju films ever. I mean they got everybody in there. The only disappointments were Varan & Baragon who didn't do much, but it was really cool to see Gorosauras play such a big role in the final battle & Manda get his big moment in the Tokyo scene, Anguiras makes an impressive return, & of course the biggies Godzilla, Rodan, & Mothra all got to shine. The Tokyo Destruction scene & the final battle with Ghidorah are two of the best scenes ever put into a Godzilla movie. Like I said before, plotwise, it isn't much different from Godzilla vs. Monster Zero, but the sheer entertainment of having so many monsters involved just made this one a classic.

1) Godzilla - Both US & Japanese versions are true monster movie classics that rank right up there with King Kong & The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. Its not only a great monster movie, but a truly historical classic that captured a dark tone & told a great story about the horrors of nuclear weapons, making this the only truly distinct "horror" film in the series. As a film, its the best made and well put together of the series. As a Godzilla film, its one of a kind among the rest, and a must see for any fan of the Big Guy.
Irish Gfan
Little Godzilla

Postby BruceAReville » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:04 am

My List - Worst To Best :D

16) Godzilla Zone Fighter Appearances
15) Godzilla's Revenge
14) Godzilla vs The Sea Monster
13) Godzilla vs Megalon
12) Son Of Godzilla
11) Godzilla vs Gigan
10) Godzilla vs Hedorah
9) Godzilla Raids Again
8) Ghidrah The Three Headed Monster
7) Godzilla vs Monster Zero
6) Terror of MechaGodzilla
5) Destroy All Monsters
4) King Kong vs Godzilla
3) Mothra vs Godzilla
2) Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla
1) Godzilla
BruceAReville
Little Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:27 am

I did this once, long ago, but I shall do it again.
I was actually thinking about this yesterday while driving home from College.
This list is more or less based on favoritism. Because while I believe G 54', vs Mothra, and Monster Zero are solid entries on just a film level...I also enjoy things like Godzilla vs Gigan and Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla.

1. Godzilla (1954)
2. Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
3. Monster Zero (1965)
4. Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)
5. Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla (1974)
6. Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)
7. Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster (1966)
8. Destroy All Monsters (1968)
9. Terror of MechaGodzilla (1975)
10. Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
11. King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
12. Ghidrah, the Three Headed Monster (1964)
13. Son of Godzilla (1967)
14. Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
15. Godzilla's Revenge (1969)
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Jon Leo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:10 pm

1. Godzilla
2. Mothra vs. Godzilla
3. Destroy All Monsters
4. Godzilla vs. Hedorah
5. Monster Zero
6. Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
7. Ebirah: Horror of the Deep
8. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
9. Son of Godzilla
10. Godzilla vs. Megalon
11. King Kong vs. Godzilla
12. Terror of Mechagodzilla
13. Godzilla Raids Again
14. All Monsters Attack
15. Godzilla vs. Gigan
Jon Leo
Little Godzilla

Postby SeaHawk » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:32 pm

1) Godzilla vs. Megalon
2) Godzilla
3) Monster Zero
4) Godzilla vs. Gigan
5) Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
6) King Kong vs. Godzilla
7) Terror of Mechagodzilla
8) Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster
9) Godzilla vs. Mothra
10) Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster
11) Ghidrah, the Three Headed Monster
12) Destroy All Monsters
13) Son of Godzilla
14) Godzilla's Revenge
15) Godzilla Raids Again
SeaHawk
Godzilla

Postby Giganfan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:20 am

Godzilla vs. The Thing
Godzilla King of the Monsters!
Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster
Monster Zero
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs. The Cosmic Monster
Ghidrah The Three-Headed Monster
Son of Godzilla
Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla's Revenge
Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster
King Kong vs. Godzilla
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Godzilla vs. Megalon
Gigantis The Fire Monster

That was from best to worst, in case you didn't notice.
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan

Postby Giganfan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:02 am

Now for favorites, as those are the only ones that ultimately matter.

Ghidrah The Three-Headed Monster
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Godzilla versus The Sea Monster
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Godzilla King of the Monsters!
Monster Zero
Godzilla vs. The Cosmic Monster
Godzilla's Revenge
Godzilla vs. The Thing
Destroy All Monters
Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster
Godzilla vs. Megalon
Son of Godzilla
King Kong vs. Godzilla
Gigantis The Fire Monster
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan

mine

Postby Xenorama » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:34 am

Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla's Revenge
King Kong VS Godzilla
Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla
Godzilla vs Megalon
Ghidrah, the Three Headed Monster
Godzilla vs the Smog Monster
Godzilla vs the Sea Monster
Godzilla vs the Thing
Godzilla, King of the Monsters
Monster Zero
Son of Godzilla
Gigantis, the Fire Monster
Terror of MechaGodzilla
Godzilla vs Gigan

still, they all have more charm and fun than anything with the name Godzilla in it that's come since.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:41 am

Favorite to Least Favorite:

Terror of Mechagodzilla
    Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
    Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster
    Godzilla
    Monster Zero
    Godzilla vs. Hedorah
    Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster
    Mothra vs. Godzilla
    Son of Godzilla
    Godzilla vs. Gigan
    King Kong vs. Godzilla
    Godzilla vs. Megalon
    Destroy All Monsters
    Godzilla's Revenge
    Godzilla Raids Again
Last edited by Benjamin Haines on Fri May 15, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Legion » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:51 am

Ummm...hmmm...lets see if I can do this...

Destroy all Monsters
Godzilla vs Hedora
Son of Godzilla
Godzilla vs Gigan
Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster
Mothra vs Godzilla
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Monster Zero
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
Godzilla's Revenge
Godzilla vs Megalon
Godzilla vs the Sea Monster
King Kong vs Godzilla
Godzilla (I understand it and appreciate it, but it isn't a favorite)
Godzilla Raids Again
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:42 pm

15.) Godzilla Raids Again - Nothing about this movie works for me...with the possible exception being the final battle in the ice canyon

14.) Godzilla vs. Hedorah - I appreciate Hedorah's strength and near-ability to down the big G but this one just doesn't add up some inconsistencies in Hedorah's potency and the flight scene down this one

13.) Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster - This is the point at which all movies from here on are still better than 90% of the Heisei/Millenium stuff This movie holds a place in my heart as one of the first I'd ever seen and I love the baseball scene...but it sits soo low because of Godzilla falling in love with a woman

12.) Godzilla vs. Megalon - Something about a robot that can randomly change its size even though it's not a designed feature leaves a touch of a sour-taste in my mouth. not to mention GODZILLA being roped in by a ring of fire...

11.) King Kong vs. Godzilla - I honestly think if this movie had been called Godzilla vs. King Kong (as in, a GODZILLA movie featuring kong rather than the other way around) it would have been my least favorite ever. VERY light on the Godzilla and his weakness to electricity makes no sense given the movie not more than one sequel ago in which high voltage did NOTHING

10.) Godzilla's Revenge - While it is cool that it's like watching a good slew of the Showa films in one, there's a distinct (and I think too large) gap between the last monster-action sequence and the end of the film

9.) Son of Godzilla - I actually like the Minya scenes in this one, it's the weakness of the foes that gets to me

8.) Destroy All Monsters - Thankfully there's a lot of monster-action because the rest of the movie is kinda thin and the fire dragon is one of my least favorite things EVER

7.) Godzilla vs. Gigan - a poor budget REALLY detracts from what would otherwise be a top 3

6.) Ghidrah - Yay for the three-headed terror, boo for pacing

5.) Godzilla vs. Monster Zero - another one where the pacing just isn't quite there, but it's an improvement over the above

4.) Terror of Mechagodzilla - Just lacking...SOMETHING from the original...but a dam good entry

3.) Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - The struggle of Godzilla here is nearly unparallelled

2.) Gojira - VERY tough call here...

1.) Mothra vs. Godzilla - perfect characterization of Godzilla, his ruthlessness and invincibality are unmatchable. Pairing him with a weaker opponent works briliantly in this one and though the environmental message is laid on a bit thick, this one of the cream of the crop for me, NARROWLY beating out the original (i'd say by virtue of a touch more action)
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:46 am

Gojira
vs. Mothra
Monster Zero
Destroy All Monsters
King Kong vs. Godzilla (Japanese version only)
vs. Hedorah
Terror of MechaGodzilla
Ghidorah
vs. MecaGodzilla
vs. Gigan
vs. Sea Monster
Son of Godzilla
Raids Again
Godzilla's Revenge
Godzilla vs. Megalon
Last edited by MouthForWar on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Mac » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:40 pm

Godzilla
Godzilla vs Monster Zero
Mothra vs Godzilla
Son of Godzilla
Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster
Godzilla vs The Sea-Monster
Destroy All Monsters
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs Hedorah
Godzilla vs King Kong
Godzilla vs Megalon
All Monsters Attack
Godzilla vs Gigan
Godzilla Raids Again
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Giganfan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:51 am

Wow! I think I like you alot more now, Legion, because number three is the highest I've EVER seen Son of Godzilla on anybody's list! Atleast there is somebody who is willing to give credit where it's due for such a great movie. Admittedly, SOG is somewhere in the middle on my list, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it any less than the films that are above it.

Giganfan

Postby canofhumdingers » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:17 pm

Wow, this was tougher than i thought it would be. I should note that i've never seen the original cut of King Kong vs Godzilla. Otherwise I've based my choices on either version of each film (whichever version i like better) with one notable exception. I feel the japanese and american cuts of the original are different enough to warrant each on being on my list seperately. Finally, i don't dislike any Godzilla movie(well, maybe spacegodzilla... but thats for another topic). I only like some more than others.

Favorite to least favorite:

Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster
Godzilla
Godzilla, King of the Monsters
Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster
Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla
Godzilla vs. Mothra
Godzilla's Revenge
Godzilla Raids Again
Monster Zero
Destroy All Monsters
Terror of MechaGodzilla
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Godzilla vs. Megalon
Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster
King Kong vs. Godzilla
Son of Godzilla
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby kent » Fri May 15, 2009 12:23 pm

I've been meaning to do this for a long time but have kept putting it off due to my tastes consistently changing and that there are so many movies in this era to think about. Like another member stated, I don't hate any Godzilla film; I just tend to like some more than others.

My questions, however, is that are we ranking them by OUR favorite or what we believe to be the BEST in the era? That makes a difference. Either way, I am going to simply list my favorites...

1. Monster Zero- Awesome film where the human drama is just as, if not more, exciting than the actual kaiju action. Memorable characters and great actors along with a really fun storyline.

2. Mothra Vs. Godzilla- While the battles, like Monster Zero, are fairly short, this is just an awesome film! The characters are of the type that you care about and are played by wonderful actors. The Mothra prop is probably the best out of the entire franchise in terms of execution. Godzilla's scenes are really neat as well.

This is where it gets tougher for me...

3. Godzilla Raids Again- I love the creepy atmosphere of this film, which is something, I think, you can only really get from B&W films. Yes, some of the dialogue is absolutely cheesy and the hand puppets are absurd but the movie is just fun. The battle between Godzilla and Anguirus is one of the best in the franchise.

4. Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster- The first Godzilla movie I saw and it holds a special place in my heart. Sure, Ebirah is not going to even come close to dispatching Godzilla like other opponents in the franchise, but it's nice to see a battle in the water for once. The Red Bamboo is a nice addition that works well with the kaiju action as well.

5. Destroy All Monsters- Tons of monsters, tons of fun!

6. Terror of Mechagodzilla- A nice dark tone to the film along with Godzilla going solo against his mechanical counterpart and the new kid on the block Titanosaurus! What's not to love?

7. King Kong Vs. Godzilla- The comedy element of the film has gotten slightly annoying as I've gotten older since a film, in my mind, that contains cinema's two greatest daikaiju icons, should be darker and more brutal. But the film is still fun despite the American cuts and goofy Mr. Tako.

8. Godzilla- Loads of fun and the darkness to the film adds to that fun. The characters are memorable and the destruction of Tokyo is phenomenal!

9. Ghidrah: The Three-Headed Monster- The human drama is a bit drab here but it is gradually growing on me. The effects seem to be pretty weak in this film for some strange reason as its predecessor did extremely well. The kaiju action is fun but, in my opinion, not some of the best. The Godzilla Vs. Rodan scene is nice and the final battle is fun. The talking kaiju scene, however, leaves much to be desired.

10. Son of Godzilla- The island setting is really wonderful and not having any all-powerful foes makes it a real treat.

11. Godzilla Vs. Gigan- This was once a favorite of mine...back when I only owned about five Godzilla films. This is still a fun entry. Granted, the human characters are a bit dull and wacky but interesting enough to keep you glued until the ultimate tag-team match at the end. Definitely one of the better battles in the franchise.

12. Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla- Great foe and a fun story. Human drama tends to lag and set the pacing off sometimes but it's a fun movie. The addition of King Seesar is a plus.

13. Godzilla Vs. Hedorah- A weird film but after several viewings, it grows on you. Hedorah is a neat villain and the battles are wonderful. Too bad much of the human drama is a bit dull.

14. Godzilla Vs. Megalon- The final battle is awesome but the rest of the film is a wee bit slow. However, after having watched this in January for the first time in about 10 years, I realized it's not as bad as I thought. It has a lot of goofy moments but it's entertaining.

15. Godzilla's Revenge- Guilty pleasure of mine. The reason why this is low on my list here (at times it can be very high on my list too) is because the film directed at the kiddies, and since I am no longer in that age group, I can't quite connect with it the way I used to. It's still a very fun film. Yeah, the enormous amount of stock footage is a nuisance but the rest of the film makes up for that stock footage.
kent
Little Godzilla

Postby the_candidate » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 am

1. Gojira- one of the greatest films ever made
10/10

2. Mothra vs. Godzilla- everything about this film is great except for that damn silly string that somehow defeats Godzilla in the end
9/10

3. Godzilla Raids Again- vastly underrated; it avoids the campiness of the 60s and 70s films, although it is a bit rushed
8/10

4. Terror of Mechagodzilla- dark, weird movie with good effects and well-defined human drama
8/10

5. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla- silly but incredibly fun, with a good score by Masaru Sato
7/10

6. Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster- if it weren't for the final battle that is just way too comical, this would have been #3
6/10

7. Destroy All Monsters- goofy but enjoyable, though the space effects are pretty laughable and there's not enough monster action; the final battle with Ghidorah is so unfair
5/10

8. Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster- cheap-looking but entertaining because of the human action scenes
4/10

9. Godzilla vs. Monster Zero- really bad effects and silly plot, but fun in an Ed Wood kind of way
4/10

10. Son of Godzilla- Reiko. 'Nuff said. Everything else sucked.
4/10

11. King Kong vs. Godzilla- basically a comedy, only with two giant monsters, one of which looks like it was thrown together overnight using pieces of old carpets
2/10

12. Godzilla vs. Hedorah- crap
1/10

13. Godzilla vs. Gigan- megacrap
0/10

14. Godzilla vs. Megalon- should come with a surgeon general's warning
0/10

15. Godzilla's Revenge- Toho should officially apologize for this thing
0/10
Last edited by the_candidate on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
the_candidate

Postby Legion » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:44 am

...greenmachine...?

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:24 am

the_candidate wrote:
4. Terror of Mechagodzilla- dark, weird movie with good effects and well-defined human drama

9. Godzilla vs. Monster Zero- really bad effects and silly plot, but fun in an Ed Wood kind of way

For the sake of curiosity, how is it that the effects from the lower end of the Showa series are better than the golden age of toho scifi? What specific shots do you find terrible in Monster Zero, and which do you find good in Terror of MechaGodzilla. Not to knock TOMG, but MZ is just a better movie from my point of view. Again, I'm just curious.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby the_candidate » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:57 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:For the sake of curiosity, how is it that the effects from the lower end of the Showa series are better than the golden age of toho scifi?

Generally, they aren't. Terror of Mechagodzilla is the exception.

What specific shots do you find terrible in Monster Zero,

All of the space shots. I know that Tsuburaya had an infatuation with space travel but he would have been well advised to stick with the monsters and cities.

and which do you find good in Terror of MechaGodzilla.

Tokyo being destroyed. Mind you, ToM doesn't actually have too many monster scenes, as it's more focused on Katsura and Ichinosi, but what few monster scenes it does have are all pretty good. The only effects I dislike are the rear projection shots and the tiny sub.
the_candidate

Postby Legion » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:32 pm

Looking at my post from early last year I wonder what in the world I was thinking. Mothra vs Godzilla should be close to the very top, if not number two or three.

Granted, aside from maybe Godzilla Raids Again I like all of them better than most of the other films in the other two series.

And Monster Zero kicks all sorts of ass.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:38 pm

Legion wrote:
And Monster Zero kicks all sorts of ass.

Indeed it does. I sort of fluctuate between loving Monster Zero or Mothra vs. Godzilla more.

I also feel ashamed to have Son of Godzilla and Ghidrah so low. I don't know why Godzilla Raids Again is higher. I mean I recall enjoying it, but having rewatched the whole series recently I don't know what was going on.

Ghidrah probably sifted lower simply because MZ is my favorite Ghidorah outing and Son of Godzilla's godzilla suit irks me. Of course that's no reason to write off the film. Especially with a decent soundtrack and an enjoyable cast of characters.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Legion » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:48 pm

The Godzilla suit in Son of Godzilla is ugly as hell but I think the movie is really one of the very best. Yes, I said it.

Everything works for me. The story is light with just enough drama to suck you in, the characters all work for me and Sato's score is fantastic. IMHO it's probably the best all around score in the entire Godzilla series, all Ifukube scores included. Kamakiras and Kumonga are no King Ghidora but they're brought to life well and are great menaces for both the monster and human cast. And to top it off it's got a really good, emotional ending.

Along with Mothra vs Godzilla and Godzilla vs Hedora it's the film I find myself watching most often.

Fukuda's Godzilla films were not terrible. I question how anyone could say that and actually be a fan of this genre.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Mac » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:41 pm

The only Showa Godzilla film that has no entertainment value to me is Godzilla Raids Again. The movie is just so boring, its unbelieveable.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:15 am

I feel that way about Godzilla vs. Hedorah...just worthless to me...

I used to really dislike Godzilla Raids Again, but I've come to like it a little bit more over time
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Next

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975