TALKBACK #4: Mothra vs. Godzilla

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

TALKBACK #4: Mothra vs. Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:28 am

It is interesting that Mothra vs. Godzilla shares a lot plot elements with the previous film. It really is made up of a lot of stuff that already happened in King Kong vs. Godzilla, but better thought out, more serious, and more... um, epic? (I find this interesting because on a whole the '60s movies stand on their own in terms of originality with the whole "these movies just repeat themselves" claim being largely invalid until the '70s)

This wasn't my favorite film as a kid. I suppose I was attracted to the more outlandish parts of the series, but the older I get the more I realize just how its status as best sequel was earned. Nowadays I can watch these films (with some mental effort) free of prejudice of which one was a childhood favorite and just view them as films on their own. I've come to the conclusion that the best three films in the series and consequently my adult favorites are: (...drumrole...) Gojira, Mothra vs. Godzilla, and Monster Zero.

...and who else loves Godzilla's character in this movie? He's not the apocalyptic destroyer he was in the first film. His destruction isn't due to aggression, simply because of his existence as atomic monster. He walks through buildings that are in his way, his tail gets caught in Tokyo Tower, he falls onto the castle...

And it's the third film in a row which has had a huge, classical Japanese castle destroyed!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

excellent

Postby Xenorama » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:09 pm

GODZILLA VS THE THING really is, despite the overhype, the best Godzilla movie ever made. this comes from it being a great movie overall, well acted, directed, scored and spfx- it's all amazing when it works together.

it's not my favorite Godzilla movie though. seeing it the first time i was greatly disappointed in it, but that was because the tv guide said "Four Super Monsters Battle for Control of the Earth" and i was expecting something more like GODZILLA VS MEGALON (sue me, i was 13, it was 1978).

i've always wondered why Godzilla was after the egg.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby Legion » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:14 pm

I'll post deeper comments later but I agree: best Godzilla movie ever.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: excellent

Postby kiryugoji04 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:02 pm

Xenorama wrote:i've always wondered why Godzilla was after the egg.

Where else is Godzilla going to get an omelette big enough to fill him up?
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:13 pm

After the original, I think this is the best Godzilla movie. Awesome in every aspect and some of Honda's best directing ever and the crown jewel of the golden age of kaiju films.

What a damn good movie.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby McGodzilla » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:57 pm

There are some aspects about this film which I think make it stand out from many of the others:

1) Great Goji suit! I think it is the most menacing version, along with the original Goji and GMK.

2) I always get excited watching the entrance Godzilla makes in this film. I think the special effects folks really did a great job there. I even like the parts where Godzilla shakes off the dirt.

3) I have always found that the film has really good pace. I know in some Goji films, like Godzilla Raids Again, that there are some lull times that really ruin the pace of the film. This film, however, is exciting all the way through.

4) I like the fact that the American version has the extra scene with the American Navy trying to attack Godzilla on the beach. I never quite understood how the US military was never involved much in the fight against Godzilla or any other Toho monster. It wasn't like they had a huge base in Okinawa or anything. (Although I realize the reasons are probably political)

5) I think the overall effects and color in the film are great. From the wonderful models and sets to the color of the egg, the quality is all there and it is truly a joy for the eyes.

That is why I think Godzilla vs. Mothra (The Thing) is probably the best Godzilla sequal.
McGodzilla
Baby Godzilla

Postby Alpha OTS » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:08 pm

McGodzilla wrote:1) Great Goji suit! I think it is the most menacing version, along with the original Goji and GMK.

My favorite suit out of all of Showa.

I like the egg jokes in the movie too. :)
Alpha OTS
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Mexigojira » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:29 pm

4) I like the fact that the American version has the extra scene with the American Navy trying to attack Godzilla on the beach. I never quite understood how the US military was never involved much in the fight against Godzilla or any other Toho monster. It wasn't like they had a huge base in Okinawa or anything. (Although I realize the reasons are probably political)

seeing americans bombing japanese soil would make many people in Japan angry, it still was a delicate thing ack then.

Also, imagine what would happen if Godzilla destroyed the american fleet, and the U.S. decide to hunt Godzilla themselves, imagine what would the U.R.S.S. would have though on the matter. (use Godzilla hunt as an excuse to have more ships in the area, damn those capitalist!)
"There are 4 things that I've learned to dont discuss, because they end with people killing each other: Religion, politics, sports, and logic on anime and kaiju movies"

Anibal
Mexigojira
Heisei Godzilla

Postby ultrazilla2000 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:17 am

This was one of the first Godzilla movies I'd seen from beginning to end as a kid...found it for rent along with Monster Zero. Not sure if it's because of nostalgia or what, but it's always been my favorite in the series. The effects are wonderful and I love how Godzilla is portrayed. Plus the whole concept is so bazaar yet played out so seriously! A radioactive, mutant dinosaur fighting a giant moth! 8-) I found the human cast to be very likable as well...and that always helps in monster movies.
ultrazilla2000
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:16 am

Just as I consider the original Gojira to be the best monster movie of all time, this is the best kaiju vs kaiju film of all time. It's the third try with the series, and it certainly is the charm. The great kaiju suit, the tone, and how the stories tie together work perfectly. It works pretty well in GRA, as Godzilla and Angilas have a bout before they demolish Osaka. In King Kong vs Godzilla the battle (final one atleast) is definitely forced. The movie is pretty much the ordeal of Mothra's Egg. However in the universe in which the movie takes place a common thing is Godzilla's rampage. The two intersect and we get one of my absolute favorite Showa films.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:11 am

-BTW guys, I will do more of these talkback threads when I have the time. This semester's classes hit me like a ton of bricks.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Giganfan » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:19 am

Well, it seems that I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. So...

Tomoyuki Tanaka, Ishiro Honda, Senichi Sekizawa, Eiji Tsuburaya, Akira Ifukube, Akira Takarada, Yuriko Hoshi, Hiroshi Koizumi, Emi & Yumi Ito, YOSHIBUMI TAJIMA, Kenji Sahara, Jun Tazaki, Yu Fujiki, Susumu Fujita...and company...

THE BEST GODZILLA MOVIE EVER, IN ANY LANGUAGE.
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan

Postby goji4ever » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:17 am

best godzilla movie of the era....(sorry gojira doesnt count, that movie is a cinematic achievement that exists beyond the trappings of being part of a mere franchise...it exists as something as simple as a film masterpiece to something as complex as a portrait of a very unique time in history)

anyhow the godzilla suit is great, the movie overflows with imagination, the human plots are all well done. Everything is treated with seriousness which helps ground the story and helps establish godzilla as a threat. I still hate mothra.
hey PIPEWORKS!!!!! wheres my god:dam sequel
goji4ever
Baby Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:46 am

goji4ever wrote:I still hate mothra.

You poor thing.
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:24 pm

So many ways to praise this movie.

1. The best out of all the Godzilla sequels to the original.

2. All of the gang performed truly at their best with this movie.

3. I apologize for this but to quote Churchill, this movie was "Their finest hour"

Nuff said.
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Irish Gfan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:47 am

Godzilla vs. Mothra is easily one of the all time greatest Godzilla films. From the monster action, to the plot, to the way both monsters are presented, it is just an all around classic Kaiju film, and it deserves all the praise it gets.
Irish Gfan
Little Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:32 pm

Ran ahead of LHB by not watching Rodan and moving on to this but this is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE Godzilla movie!

I cannot say enough good about this movie, honestly.
It's my favorite suit and Godzilla has never been as downright EVIL and ANIMALISTIC as he is in this movie...from his initial rampage to his onslaught on the egg to his MALEVOLENCE when he has Mothra down for the count and CONTINUES to go in for the kill

The military also is EFFECTIVE against the big guy but still unable to defeat him. The irony and dichotomies in this movie run rampant all over the place from the stark contrast between Godzilla and Mothra to the difference between Mothra and her larvae...

I literally can't say enough good things about this movie...seriously...I love it, I think I'm gonna watch it again...
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:59 pm

Since I watched the original Japanese version of Mothra vs. Godzilla last time I watched the Godzilla vs. The Thing version this time (Simitar widescreen VHS taped on DVD+R).

I think the fight between Godzilla and the adult Mothra is probably the best battle in the entire series. Love the extreme closeups (after they saw just how great the Godzilla suit turned out they probably wanted to show it off as much as possible).
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kent » Tue May 12, 2009 5:16 pm

Along with Monster Zero, this has to be my other favorite Showa film for many of the reasons people have already stated...except for the suit.

I don't hate the suit, but I find the wobbly jaws to make Godzilla look like he's under some sort of hypnosis that he can't shake off. It was way too much latex. The eyelids being smooth always bothered me for some reason too. With Godzilla being this reptilian creature, shouldn't his eyelids also be scaly? And, while I'm sure Nakajima had a much easier time moving around in this suit, I found the rest of the body too closely resembling that of a human's body. Didn't seem to be as realistic as, let's say, the KingGoji suit.

But that's a really minor nitpick. The movie is spectacular in every sense of the word! The actors are great, the characters memorable, fight scenes are unforgettable, and the music is phenomenal! I, personally, believe this is one of Ifukube's top three scores for the franchise. The wonderful themes are marches are amazing!

Monster Zero and this movie take home my award for two of my all-time favorite Godzilla films!
kent
Little Godzilla

Postby fools-gold64 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:44 am

I don't have anything substantive to add... this movie deserves the praise it's getting.

I would just like to mention how much I love Godzilla's entrance in this movie, especially when they point a Geiger counter in his general direction (before he's even surfaced!) and it starts clicking like crazy. All those characters must have gone on to get cancer.
fools-gold64
Godzilla Egg

Postby heroforhirerob » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:56 pm

Mothra vs. Godzilla....well...hard to find something new or interesting to say about a film we probably all know so well..but here it goes...

-What really nails this movie's iconic status for me is the fantastic score..arguably Ifukube's best work in the Godzilla series. In fact, it's difficult for me to even think about this film without the score coming to mind. It's THAT integral to the film.

-The cast does a wonderful job...and even the english dub isn't too bad....though the constant references to "The Thing" are irritating. Yoshifumi Tajima(as Kumayama) and Kenji Sahara(as Torohatta) are especially good among the cast. I love the spot where Kumayama asks for his picture to be taken..and then blows smoke in the camera. " That picture should be lovely...eh? "

-I'm actually not horribly fond of the fight between Godzilla and the adult Mothra. I found the quick shots(mostly using puppets) to be jarring and distracting. Overall, it's a good fight...and Godzilla doesn't pull any punches....but this is far from my favorite kaiju battle.

-The SPFX work is very solid. Nothing really out of the ordinary, but polished work that shows how far they had come after doing a dozen or more SPFX films. The optical and pyrotechnic work stand out....making the military's battles with Godzilla among the film's highlights.

- When the Mothra larvae come after Godzilla, I love the scene where he briefly turns to see what they are, creates a fiery barrier with his atomic ray, and then calmly turns away. It creates the feeling of virtual contempt on Godzilla's part...as if these tiny creatures aren't even worth the time to stomp properly. My only realy gripe is that Godzilla...after being cocooned...wasn't really defeated....he could be back mere hours from the events in the film for all we know. A minor gripe...but there it is.

Mothra vs. Godzilla deserves it's iconic status. Watching it creates a mood llike almost no other kaiju film...and certainly among the Showa series..it's among the best...and that's pretty high praise if you ask me.
heroforhirerob
Godzilla

Postby ryuuseipro » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:39 am

I have to second the popular opinions here. In both a personal and objective view, Mothra Vs. Godzilla is perhaps the best Godzilla film ever produced, and perhaps the most iconic. The story was very well conceived, the acting is memorable, Akira Ifukube's score is dazzling, and the SPFX and photography are perhaps among the most beautiful ever done by Toho and Eiji Tsuburaya. Godzilla and Mothra both look their best here. The Mosu-Goji is often hailed as the best Godzilla suit ever made, and that reputation is quite deserved.

Both the Japanese and US versions are worth viewing. (The Japanese version has beautiful visuals, especially the TohoScope logo and credits, and the US version has the "Frontier Missile" sequence not seen in Japan!)

Seeing the deleted footage recently made the experience even more intriguing! Some of the camera angles were incredible.
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby zekend01 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:02 am

The best. This movie was something that could have only happened once, I feel like. Everything just came together at the right time and in the right way and BOOM. It's just the apex of Godzilla movies. Everything that followed was a steady declining curve downward that didn't spike again until G'84 (still not reaching the glory of the 1st vs. Mothra, mind you) and then took another dip starting with the second vs. Mothra (ironic, eh? Yeah I know it made TONS of cash though).

By the time the series went Millennium, the ups and downs registered like the heart monitor of a fading patient. :cry:
"If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone." - Lenny Bruce
http://www.myspace.com/cretinfunk
http://www.myspace.com/prometheuscomplex
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby Destroysall » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:37 pm

Definitely the best!!!!!! This one is my favorite Godzilla movie of all time! I was majorly disappointed when they played it at G-FEST and I couldn't make it! :x But other than that, I must say, it is the best sequel ever! I love the suit, the best suit for me! I just love how menacing it is! I also love the appearance of Godzilla in this one, its just so awesome, and it does get me excited when I see it! I also love seeing Godzilla make ruin of Nagoya. The music just fits the film perfectly as well! Of course, I love the egg jokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This film is just so amazing, the acting, production, and the score above all!!!! Best film ever! I'm going to go watch it again when I get the time, in the mean time, I'm "enjoying my egg!" :lol: :lol:

I don't hate the suit, but I find the wobbly jaws to make Godzilla look like he's under some sort of hypnosis that he can't shake off.

I'm not sure if this is true or not (you could never trust it all the time :roll: ), but Wikipedia does say something about this in the Production section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothra_vs. ... Box_office
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Re: TALKBACK #4: Mothra vs. Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:02 pm

lhb412 wrote:...his tail gets caught in Tokyo Tower...

It's a great scene, but I'm afraid it takes place in Nagoya, not Tokyo. :P

There's really not much I can say about this film that hasn't been said already. It is one of my absolute favorites, as it features all of the key players in Godzilla's early history doing what is probably the best work they've ever done as a whole. It's magnificent! An interesting story, great characters, breathtaking effects, spellbinding music, and a healthy sense of humor. Also, the "brotherhood of man" theme that was so near and dear to Honda's heart (as well as my own) is used quite effectively.

One complaint: the villains are killed of way too early, and the resulting subplot of the kids on the island just so the protagonists can have something to do is weak and feels tacked-on.

Still one of the greatest achievements in the history of the genre, and certainly one of my favorites.
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Next

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975