TALKBACK #3: King Kong vs. Godzilla

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby rogerhartfell » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:58 am

Just watched this one again for the first time in a while, and something jumped out at me about Tako's first scene in the Japanese version:

One of Tako's first lines (while he's sitting there watching the Wonderful World program) is directed at a woman sitting at a nearby desk.

Tako: Hey, you!
Woman: Yes! It's 58,600 yen, give or take five.
Tako: I don't need that! Who asked for it anyhow?

He then goes on to address Obashi and completely change the subject. What was the figure the woman was quoting? Their advertising revenue? Stocks?
Scott Lister - UNbalance [the web series]
Official: http://www.scottdavidlister.com/unbalance
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/unbalancewebseries
Image
User avatar
rogerhartfell
Godzillasaurus
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:45 am
Location: Melbourne, AUS

Postby daikaijusaurus » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:13 pm

I really really wish Toho could've remade this movie back in the Hesei era. If there was any Godzilla movie that deserved a remake it was this one. Such a pity that Turner demanded so much money for the use of Kong.

That being said, I love this movie to death! It has such a wonderful and unique charm that many of the other Godzilla movies don't have. I know the Kong suit has gotten a lot of criticism for it's ugliness and cheap quality, but I think that's exactly what makes the movie so special. This movie was geared more towards kids and both the Kong and Godzilla suits have a wonderful whimsical charm that works perfectly for this movie. And their battle is exciting, funny and just plain awesome! LOL! I don't think any of the Godzilla movies had such a titanic and memorable battle between two unmovable objects LOL.

If Toho were able to do their remake back in the Hesei era, this is what I wish it would've looked like:

Image

I love this image! It retains the original look of the creatures yet updating them with a modern touch. Love it!
User avatar
daikaijusaurus
Godzilla Jr.
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:05 pm

Re: TALKBACK #3: King Kong vs. Godzilla

Postby Silver Kamen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:16 pm

I feel like when King Kong vs. Godzilla switches to storytelling, everything goes down hill. Not one of my favorite entry's in the series to be honest.
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re: TALKBACK #3: King Kong vs. Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:34 pm

Silver Kamen wrote:I feel like when King Kong vs. Godzilla switches to storytelling, everything goes down hill. Not one of my favorite entry's in the series to be honest.


What do you mean "switches to storytelling"?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
User avatar
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:43 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Re: TALKBACK #3: King Kong vs. Godzilla

Postby Silver Kamen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:35 pm

eabaker wrote:What do you mean "switches to storytelling"?


On the Island, where we meet Kong. Especially in the U.S. cut. It just does not blend in well with the rest of the movie.
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re: TALKBACK #3: King Kong vs. Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:38 pm

Silver Kamen wrote:
eabaker wrote:What do you mean "switches to storytelling"?


On the Island, where we meet Kong. Especially in the U.S. cut. It just does not blend in well with the rest of the movie.


Interesting. I love the contrast between tones and styles that the movie achieves - in fact, that contrast is the reason that it's basically my second-favorite movie in the entire franchise.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
User avatar
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:43 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Re: TALKBACK #3: King Kong vs. Godzilla

Postby Silver Kamen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:43 pm

eabaker wrote:Interesting. I love the contrast between tones and styles that the movie achieves - in fact, that contrast is the reason that it's basically my second-favorite movie in the entire franchise.


Yeah, to each his own I guess.
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re:

Postby Russzilla » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:45 pm

daikaijusaurus wrote:I really really wish Toho could've remade this movie back in the Hesei era. If there was any Godzilla movie that deserved a remake it was this one. Such a pity that Turner demanded so much money for the use of Kong.

That being said, I love this movie to death! It has such a wonderful and unique charm that many of the other Godzilla movies don't have. I know the Kong suit has gotten a lot of criticism for it's ugliness and cheap quality, but I think that's exactly what makes the movie so special. This movie was geared more towards kids and both the Kong and Godzilla suits have a wonderful whimsical charm that works perfectly for this movie. And their battle is exciting, funny and just plain awesome! LOL! I don't think any of the Godzilla movies had such a titanic and memorable battle between two unmovable objects LOL.


It's too bad that Universal then and I guess now continues to be such greedy buttheads concerning their Kong property. This is the one remake I think the G fandom would still love to see a remake of. And to think we could've had this in 1991 instead of Gvs.KG. Friggin Turner/Universal. :(
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1299
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: London, KY via Boston/Philadelphia

Re: Re:

Postby Silver Kamen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:46 pm

Russzilla wrote:It's too bad that Universal then and I guess now continues to be such greedy buttheads concerning their Kong property. This is the one remake I think the G fandom would still love to see a remake of. And to think we could've had this in 1991 instead of Gvs.KG. Friggin Turner/Universal. :(


To be fair... Toho would do the same thing.
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re: Re:

Postby Russzilla » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:11 pm

Silver Kamen wrote:
Russzilla wrote:It's too bad that Universal then and I guess now continues to be such greedy buttheads concerning their Kong property. This is the one remake I think the G fandom would still love to see a remake of. And to think we could've had this in 1991 instead of Gvs.KG. Friggin Turner/Universal. :(


To be fair... Toho would do the same thing.


You think so? It seems like Toho has no problem lending out their property (Godzilla) to be remade in other movies. (here in the US for example) And i've read how Toho can be pretty stubborn also. But it just seems like every time Toho has asked to borrow the Kong character, Universal just asks for too much basically. Now, I have no idea how much Universal asks for in return, but it seems like they could come down on their demands instead of just sitting on their character and not really doing anything with him. (giving us a Kong movie every 20 plus years) It's like they're holding some sort of grudge against Toho or something. Maybe someone on here can explain this better.
Last edited by Russzilla on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1299
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: London, KY via Boston/Philadelphia

Re: Re:

Postby Silver Kamen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:12 pm

Russzilla wrote:You think so? It seems like Toho has no problem lending out their property (Godzilla) to be remade in other movies. (here in the US for example) And i've read how Toho can be pretty stubborn also. But it just seems like every time Toho has asked to borrow the Kong character, Universal just asks for too much basically. Now, I have no idea how much Universal asks for in return, but it seems like they could come down on their demands instead of just sitting on their character and not really doing anything with him. (giving us a Kong movie every 20 plus years)


If Toho can make money, they have no problems what so ever in lending out their property.
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re: Re:

Postby eabaker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Russzilla wrote:
Silver Kamen wrote:
Russzilla wrote:It's too bad that Universal then and I guess now continues to be such greedy buttheads concerning their Kong property. This is the one remake I think the G fandom would still love to see a remake of. And to think we could've had this in 1991 instead of Gvs.KG. Friggin Turner/Universal. :(


To be fair... Toho would do the same thing.


You think so? It seems like Toho has no problem lending out their property (Godzilla) to be remade in other movies. (here in the US for example) And i've read how Toho can be pretty stubborn also. But it just seems like every time Toho has asked to borrow the Kong character, Universal just asks for too much basically.


The difference really comes down to what constitutes a lot of money for a Japanese studio as opposed to an American one. I've heard it said that in the 90s, Toho was actually making more money off of licensing Godzilla Godzilla to Sony than they were off of their own domestic Godzilla productions. Licensing fees are a HUGE benefit to Toho. In order for a Japanese-produced Kong movie to be profitable for Toho, the licensing costs would have to be so low that, from Universal's perspective, it probably wouldn't be worth the time and expense of having the contracts drawn up.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
User avatar
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:43 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Re: Re:

Postby Russzilla » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:26 pm

Silver Kamen wrote:
Russzilla wrote:You think so? It seems like Toho has no problem lending out their property (Godzilla) to be remade in other movies. (here in the US for example) And i've read how Toho can be pretty stubborn also. But it just seems like every time Toho has asked to borrow the Kong character, Universal just asks for too much basically. Now, I have no idea how much Universal asks for in return, but it seems like they could come down on their demands instead of just sitting on their character and not really doing anything with him. (giving us a Kong movie every 20 plus years)


If Toho can make money, they have no problems what so ever in lending out their property.


Maybe Universal's thinking is if they can't make money off of it, then screw it. :P I still would like someone to explain to me these licensing issues with Kong. It's been around 45 years since Toho had rights to him.
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1299
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: London, KY via Boston/Philadelphia

Re: Re:

Postby Silver Kamen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:34 pm

Russzilla wrote:I still would like someone to explain to me these licensing issues with Kong. It's been around 45 years since Toho had rights to him.


When John Beck sold the King Kong vs. Prometheus script to Toho (which became King Kong vs. Godzilla), he was given exclusive rights to produce a version of the film for release in non-Asian territories. He was able to line up a couple of potential distributors in Warner Brothers and Universal Pictures International even before the film began production. He has those rights for the next 60 or so years. Hope that helps.
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re: Re:

Postby Russzilla » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:57 pm

Silver Kamen wrote:
Russzilla wrote:I still would like someone to explain to me these licensing issues with Kong. It's been around 45 years since Toho had rights to him.


When John Beck sold the King Kong vs. Prometheus script to Toho (which became King Kong vs. Godzilla), he was given exclusive rights to produce a version of the film for release in non-Asian territories. He was able to line up a couple of potential distributors in Warner Brothers and Universal Pictures International even before the film began production. He has those rights for the next 60 or so years. Hope that helps.


Oh great. Ah well. Maybe in the next decade after this one.
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1299
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: London, KY via Boston/Philadelphia

Re: Re:

Postby Silver Kamen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:59 pm

Russzilla wrote:Oh great. Ah well. Maybe in the next decade after this one.


One can hope!
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re: Re:

Postby Russzilla » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Silver Kamen wrote:
Russzilla wrote:Oh great. Ah well. Maybe in the next decade after this one.


One can hope!


Mildly. Damn!
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1299
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: London, KY via Boston/Philadelphia

Re: TALKBACK #3: King Kong vs. Godzilla

Postby TylerPreston20 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:29 am

This film and Godzilla Raids Again, are my less favorite Godzilla films in both American and Japanese cuts. I did enjoy the final battle between King Kong vs Godzilla and the off beat comedy, but not one I rewatch a lot.
Check out my Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O/about
User avatar
TylerPreston20
Little Godzilla
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:20 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: TALKBACK #3: King Kong vs. Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:56 pm

TylerPreston20 wrote:This film and Godzilla Raids Again, are my less favorite Godzilla films in both American and Japanese cuts. I did enjoy the final battle between King Kong vs Godzilla and the off beat comedy, but not one I rewatch a lot.

I felt this way for a bit...that KKvs.G was kinda overrated and not one of my favorites. But the last time I went through the series, I really enjoyed it quite a bit and it's now in my top half or so. The characters are so fun and enjoyable and the fights are well choreographed and edited.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Re: TALKBACK #3: King Kong vs. Godzilla

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:21 pm

When I was a kid, I remember HATING this movie...but mainly because I always thought it was lame that Godzilla (my favorite monster) could possibly lose to Kong (whom in my head was nothing compared to Goji).

Now, what I absolutely love about this movie (and Mothra vs. Godzilla for that matter) were the military attacks on Godzilla. Godzilla falling into the giant pit? AWESOME. The opening scenes with Godzilla attacking the military base were fun...and I enjoyed how Goji was the true villain here. The fight scenes were actually really enjoyable...so suffice to say I like this movie much more now than when I first saw it.
Image
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
User avatar
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:04 pm
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: TALKBACK #3: King Kong vs. Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:20 pm

What is there to say about the idea behind this movie that isn’t brilliant? Back in 1933, the world was amazed with the monstrous gigantic ape known as King Kong with ground breaking effects at that time due to stop motion. It was amazing. Toho repeated a similar situation when they first created Godzilla. As such, what better way to show off these two colossal titans than to have them battle each other? It sounds great in theory, but the execution leaves something to be desired.

That is not to say this movie is bad by any means, as it is pretty good. Unfortunately, the plot behind it is weird to say the least, some of the characters are useless, and the monster designs themselves are less than stellar. First, the plot. Two Japanese men are sent to an island to collect berries when they come across islanders who worship a god named Kong. There, they find a way to knock him out and take him back to Japan to have him fight Godzilla, who has been freed from the ice he buried in in the previous movie. This plot idea just sounds better on paper than it does in action because using the berry juice to knock Kong out and then drag him across the ocean on a giant raft is just so goofy. And then to have Kong powered up by electricity while Godzilla is now weak against is also weird. To be fair, from what I have gathered, this movie was originally supposed to be Frankenstein vs. Godzilla, so the electricity powering Kong makes sense from that perspective, but having a giant gorilla randomly be powered by electricity out of the blue without any previous knowledge of it just comes off as random and be a sudden way to extend the fight beyond just Kong getting his butt whooped. For what it is worth, it does make the battle interesting and adds another layer, so I’ll stop nit picking against it.

My second gripe comes from the monster suits as I just do not care for their designs. Kong’s body looks fine but his face looks like it was beaten with a shovel as he eyes always look messed up and sleepy at every camera angle. As for Godzilla, I really do not care for this look. Yes, his head does look more reptilian than it did in the movie before it, but the costume looks more like a blow up doll than an actual monster. There does not seem to be any lining between the arms and shoulders, so it just appears as if the arms are just sticking out of the sides of the body rather than being actual arms. It also does not help when the costume seems to fold and crease when Godzilla is movie his arms about. Lastly, gone is his fourth toe and ears, which became an unfortunate trend throughout the remainder of the Showa saga. Nevertheless, as I said, these costumes just do not work for me all that well.

Moving on to the characters, some of them are good, some are fun, but some are absolutely useless. Osamu is fine as the main character, but it is like everyone else around him is a moron, especially his sister Fumiko. She is completely helpless. She has to be rescued from Godzilla’s attack only to then have to be rescued from Kong’s clutches fifteen minutes later. On the other hand, Osamu’s boss is a very fun character (see below).

Despite my issues with the costumes and plot, the effects are quite good in the movie. Kong’s face turning blue is really well done when he is struck by lightning, as are the crumbling buildings when he and Godzilla face off. The one that shines for me the most is the way they do the giant octopus monster. It is obvious they super imposed an octopus on a screen to make him look huge (which does take away from the scene, as you can see the shadows of the spears and stuff being thrown at the screen), but the execution of this scene is extremely well done. Lastly, the paint job they did on the islanders is actually pretty well done despite it being obvious that they are Japanese. It does what it is supposed to well enough, so there is no reason to nitpick it.

Overall, King Kong vs Godzilla is a missed bag of a movie in terms of execution, but for what it is, it is highly enjoyable and fun. I wouldn’t say it is anywhere near the best of Godzilla’s movies, but if you want a nice simple movie where you just see two popular behemoths go eat each other’s throats, you can do a lot worse. I give this movie a 6/10.

And here is not only what makes the boss man fun, but I can also see die hard fans making this reaction after they saw my score:

Image
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11878
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: TALKBACK #3: King Kong vs. Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:22 pm

I am sitting here watching this movie right now with mixed emotions. On paper, this should be one of my favorite Godzilla movies ever. Awesome fight scenes. Solid spfx. One of my favorite Godzilla suits. The dub is also solid. Also it has a colorful cast of characters. However whenever I watch this film, this movie feels like it goes on forever. I can't pin down why. The editing isn't much different than M vs G or GtTHM, two Godzilla movies that always keep my attention. However this film has me constantly checking the time or getting distracted. The fight scenes though are still some of the best in the series.
User avatar
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:13 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio

Re: TALKBACK #3: King Kong vs. Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:22 pm

DannyBeane wrote:I am sitting here watching this movie right now with mixed emotions. On paper, this should be one of my favorite Godzilla movies ever. Awesome fight scenes. Solid spfx. One of my favorite Godzilla suits. The dub is also solid. Also it has a colorful cast of characters. However whenever I watch this film, this movie feels like it goes on forever. I can't pin down why. The editing isn't much different than M vs G or GtTHM, two Godzilla movies that always keep my attention. However this film has me constantly checking the time or getting distracted. The fight scenes though are still some of the best in the series.


Well, as you mention the dub, that means you're watching the American cut, which trades out some interesting scenes in favor of some pretty flat, boring filler. That could account for your getting bored by it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
User avatar
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:43 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Re: TALKBACK #3: King Kong vs. Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:35 pm

That might be the case actually. I really don't want to be the godzilla fan though that complains about DVDs but I've been spoiled with all these releases that have had the Japanese cuts along with the international/American cuts. Its just the Sub/Iceberg sequence, faro island sequence and all the kong/godzilla running amok in Japan sequences are really well done but the scenes between put me off in ways that other show films don't.
User avatar
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:13 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio

Re: TALKBACK #3: King Kong vs. Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:04 pm

I think both versions feel really disjointed until Godzilla and Kong battle.
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Image
User avatar
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1114
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:55 am

PreviousNext

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest