TALKBACK #3: King Kong vs. Godzilla

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:37 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:I think the real culprit was Sea Monster in which electricity woke him up (and he was just standing in for Kong). I think they were just going off of that when they wrote that stuff into Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla.
Or probably just not really bothering with continuity by the time the 70s rolled around.


the one thing about sea monster that irritates me is that everyone is like "the electricity is a dead-ringer for Toho's Kong and a sign that the movie doesn't fit Godzilla that well" and i disagree. if i'm sleeping and somebody shocks me with electricity, i'm waking up whether it superpowers me or just ****ing hurts.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby The Giant Pacific Octopus » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:53 pm

^ The whole lightning and the flirting with the native girl schtick were written for Kong. The script went through very little changes when Godzilla was substituted in.
"The gigantic octopus is a slimy, loathsome creature and one of Tsuburaya's best creations."


STEVE RYFLE from "Japan's Favourite Mon-Star"
User avatar
The Giant Pacific Octopus
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:59 pm
Location: Pacific Ocean

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:58 pm

The Giant Pacific Octopus wrote:^ The whole lightning and the flirting with the native girl schtick were written for Kong. The script went through very little changes when Godzilla was substituted in.
i know this is a fact...but the lightning thing on its own doesn't seem inaccurate for Godzilla. for the reason i already stated: superpowering or not, electric shocks will WAKE YOU UP (or kill you, but that's neither here nor there).
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:51 pm

I still think somebody just remembered that fact and turned it into LIGHTNING CHARGED GODZILLA
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:27 pm

So, blasphemy or not, I still prefer the American version. Something about the way it is edited makes it move along a little bit faster/better for me.

That said, while it is a highly enjoyable film (in both versions) it's not a favorite of mine. I kinda rank it somewhere along 85. It's a film I like, and I have a TON of nostalgia for, but it has some faults that kinda grate on me.
It's better and I like it better than 85, but I had to offer a point of comparison for how I feel.

Good, but not great (for me). Top half, not top quarter.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:39 pm

I've only watched the japanese version once, so I can't even recall it that well, but I still love the English dub. It's still a really fun, funny film. It's also pretty great that 3 films into the series and each Godzilla film is still pretty distinctive.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby eabaker » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:49 pm

Since first getting a copy of the Japanese version in the mid-90s, I don't think i've ever once gone back and watched the American release. I found the Japanese cut funnier, with a better score, and mostly a better pace (excpet for the Seahawk scenes, which were improved with re-editing).

KKvsG is one of my favorites in the series. Among the 12 or so that I dig the most, I can't really build a hierarchy, so I can only really say that I put it among the better slightly-less-than-half of the films.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
User avatar
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:43 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:19 am

I adore the English version.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby The Real McCoy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:55 am

It's been a while since I watched it, but yeah, I agree. It's too funny to forget about.
Image
User avatar
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:59 am
Location: North Carolina

Postby Goji 84 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:37 pm

It's a shame the international version is MIA. On top of being generally curious about what it would sound like, it would just be nice to see the original edit of the film, dubbed.

I like Beck's cut (It was how I watched the movie for nearly 20 years) but I generally prefer the Japanese cut.
User avatar
Goji 84
Godzilla
 
Posts: 703
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:34 am
Location: Maryland

Postby canofhumdingers » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:10 pm

While I think the Japanese cut is probably the better of the two, I actually like both versions quite a bit. The one thing that gets me though is changing ifukube's score to the creature from the black lagoon theme. It's so jarring and out of place! And ifukube's work was so good! That one aspect REALLY bugs me about the American version.
User avatar
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3038
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:17 pm

Postby eabaker » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:49 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:I adore the English version.


I have a lot of fondness for it, and I totally appreicate the reason it was so altered for American audiences at the time.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
User avatar
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:43 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun May 19, 2013 3:27 pm

So I think this movie (the English Dub), is really funny and I adore it more and more every year.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby metal_bryan » Sun May 19, 2013 4:07 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:So I think this movie (the English Dub), is really funny and I adore it more and more every year.


The dub is mostly what I watch it for... same with the a lot of the movies :lol: It's a huge piece of my nostalgia
User avatar
metal_bryan
Controller
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:59 am
Location: Florida, USA

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun May 19, 2013 4:11 pm

metal_bryan wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:So I think this movie (the English Dub), is really funny and I adore it more and more every year.


The dub is mostly what I watch it for... same with the a lot of the movies :lol: It's a huge piece of my nostalgia


Yeah it's nostalgic for me, though a little less so than some of these films. But I still say it's superbly funny and for me, in the last couple of years, has been the biggest appeal. Even if it isn't always intentional, laughing at the lines is never a mean spirited thing.

Fun fun movie.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun May 19, 2013 4:27 pm

I think this is probably my favorite Godzilla outside of the original (I feel like the original film is always a given when stating your favorite Godzilla film, it's kind of a boring answer)
FTW
User avatar
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 9917
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:27 am
Location: Ohio

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun May 19, 2013 4:37 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:(I feel like the original film is always a given when stating your favorite Godzilla film, it's kind of a boring answer)


It really is. It's kind the understood favorite of everyone in the fandom. It's like, what's your favorite Kaiju? Well...Godzilla, but the choices get interesting after him.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun May 19, 2013 4:53 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:(I feel like the original film is always a given when stating your favorite Godzilla film, it's kind of a boring answer)


It really is. It's kind the understood favorite of everyone in the fandom. It's like, what's your favorite Kaiju? Well...Godzilla, but the choices get interesting after him.[/quote

I always have to correct that assumption because Godzilla ISN'T my favorite kaiju lol..that honor belongs to Gamera. Godzilla is like the Wolverine of kaiju...tough, bad ass that hates everything and is a fan favorite. I've always preferred Scott Summers, Beast, Kitty Pride ect.
FTW
User avatar
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 9917
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:27 am
Location: Ohio

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun May 19, 2013 4:56 pm

I've never found Cyclops interesting, but I do like Gamera more than that. :lol:
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby The Real McCoy » Mon May 20, 2013 10:38 am

king_ghidorah wrote:I think this is probably my favorite Godzilla outside of the original (I feel like the original film is always a given when stating your favorite Godzilla film, it's kind of a boring answer)


Sometimes I get the feeling that some people say that because they feel like they have to. It's kind of a twist on the unspoken rule that the first movie in a series is generally the best.

Call it me being a jerk, or whatever you like, I kind of find it annoying sometimes (before I get jumped on, notice I said "sometimes" :D ).

And Godzilla isn't my favorite monster either.
Image
User avatar
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:59 am
Location: North Carolina

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon May 20, 2013 12:48 pm

Godzilla (1954) is my third-favorite Godzilla movie. Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975) is first and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) is second.
Image
User avatar
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 5493
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Postby Giganfan » Thu May 30, 2013 7:55 pm

In either version, King Kong vs. Godzilla has always hovered around the ten-spot of the series for me. I especially prefer the Japanese version all day long. The John Beck cut is still fun, but Honda's original has more of an epic flavor. Like Ghidrah, this film feels big and it's so damn entertaining, I can't help but love it. And it was such a revelation when I first saw it back in '95. For example, hearing Akira Ifukube's classic Godzilla theme basically in embryonic form, as well as the rest of what is arguably one of his best scores was like candy to my ears. That's how I think I would descibe this film in a nutshell - a wildly entertaining, funny, genuinely sweet bowl of jolly-ranchers that you just can't stop eating haha!!!
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:56 am
Location: St. Clair Shores, MI

Postby lhb412 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:52 am

Ah, so it's been two months since the last installment of my 'watch every King Kong film in order' thing, but I'm back on it.

Watching the Japanese version it's easy to see both why fans claim it's superiority and why Beck had it cut to be a more straightforward monster movie. Despite some funny moments with the commercialism satire in the first half of the film none of it really adds up to anything, and once the monsters show up the juvenile joy of that takes over and the commercialism thing runs out of steam.

Further (and previously, in the case of Mothra) films from Toho more skillfully weaved some kind of social allegory or satire into the plot - in ways that pay off in the story even late in the film when it's become a big monster mash, and even without the commercialism satire the human and monster drama just don't gel in the same way that is does in subsequent films. In Godzilla circa '64-'67 you get the feeling that it's a single story in which some characters are humans and some are giant monsters, but in King Kong vs. Godzilla it can feel like two sides at war with each other.

Tsuburaya and the '62 Godzilla are really the stars of this film, and things like the arctic stuff, the train scene, and the army's trap are the highlights of the film. Kong doesn't come off nearly as well in both costume and character, and just doesn't feel as Kong-esque as he should (unlike in Toho's next Kong film).
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 15652
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Postby Destroysall » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:00 am

The Giant Pacific Octopus wrote:^ The whole lightning and the flirting with the native girl schtick were written for Kong. The script went through very little changes when Godzilla was substituted in.
I must have missed something, but why was Kong replaced? Was it licensing issues?

Anyway, I have to say this is one of my favorite films from the Showa Era of Godzilla movies. I love both versions, but the English Dub will always have a special place in my heart. I do have to question what soundtrack they ended up using in the dubbed version because I really like it.
uhh...
User avatar
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:12 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Postby canofhumdingers » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:06 pm

The American dub uses music cues from Creature From the Black Lagoon.
User avatar
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3038
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:17 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest