TALKBACK #2: Godzilla Raids Again

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

TALKBACK #2: Godzilla Raids Again

Postby lhb412 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:35 pm

First off, this is the best title ever. It really sounds cool.

Secondly, as someone who saw this movie after seeing the rest of the Showa series (and all the Heisei series and a few of the Milliniums...) it feels kinda wrong that there should be another black and white Godzilla movie. I always felt that the first movie was a classic black and white film and the rest of the series were fun colorful films. This feeling is oddly appropriate since the movie really is just a cheapie sequel (though not really bad) to it's apocalyptic predeccesor, and not the begining of the unbridled fun of the rest of the series (which starts with KKvG).

My opinion of the film has improved over the time I fist watched it. I've come to enjoy it for what it is, but I have to admit that its funny that, despite the difference between human and monster scenes, you just feel an increase in quality whenever Tsuburaya takes over the movie.
:lol:

BTW, during Godzilla and Angilas' fight when the policemen crouch down and put their hands over their pistols: priceless. Just what do they think they're gonna do?
Last edited by lhb412 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

quite

Postby Xenorama » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:38 pm

while neither version of the movie is great, i do enjoy GIGANTIS, THE FIRE MONSTER quite a bit. it was the "lost" movie back in the late 70s and early 80s, i didn't get to see it until we had cable in our town after '83. it was on a USA Godzilla marathon, and this is the movie we really wanted to see.

it was really interesting to watch, and so i quite like it. oddly enough, it was one of the first i ever bought on VHS as well, when it still had the original US title on it, instead of the video generated one we have now.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby Shonokin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:43 pm

Been a steadfast fan of this film since the first time I saw it.

Being in the same boat as you, I saw a lot of Showa era and the first two or three Heisei era Godzillas before I saw the english dub of Gigantis/GRA in 1992. (It was a cheapy VHS that actually had the "Godzilla Raids Again" title on the cassette box.)

I found it unique having the first Godzilla kaiju brawl and it's in B&W. In a way I think that added a coolness factor for me.

Also even though shutter speed on the fight footage was screwed up, I still find the tooth n nail fights in this much more interesting than any of the beam battles, and more gritty than the pro wrestling stuff.

GRA gets slammed for the corny human drama element but I actually felt that these very normal type people with normal conversations made a great contrast to the fantastic element of the giant monsters.

Oh yeah, and how can you not love Banana Oil?!?
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby briizilla » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:22 pm

I love this movie, or at least the Gigantis version. The Japanese version is a bit to dull.

Its funny because this was the first movie ever shown on Philly 57, which has since morphed into the CW. I remember getting up to watch it at 7am on a Sunday morning, the screen went from the test pattern right into the movie.
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:42 pm

You mean the first movie YOU saw on 57,or the first movie they ever aired?

I actually didn't see this movie until the recent CM release on DVD. I watched the Japanese version (don't remember if the DVD includes Gigantis) and I thought it was pretty boring,to tell you the truth. I mean,I still liked it,the battle is cool,but it just doesn't have anything to push it over the top.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby RaptorG » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:42 pm

The First time I saw this movie was in 1994 when it aired on the Disney channel late one night. I remember begging my mom to let me stay up and watch this movie. It was also my First time seeing Angurius as Godzilla's Enemy.

Ah Good times.
RaptorG
Godzilla Jr.

Postby briizilla » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:06 am

kidnicky wrote:You mean the first movie YOU saw on 57,or the first movie they ever aired?

I actually didn't see this movie until the recent CM release on DVD. I watched the Japanese version (don't remember if the DVD includes Gigantis) and I thought it was pretty boring,to tell you the truth. I mean,I still liked it,the battle is cool,but it just doesn't have anything to push it over the top.

It was the first thing they ever aired. It was followed by the He-man animated movie :lol:
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:16 pm

So what did all you old timers think about the Gigantis version? Were you suprised and confused or did you already have your Famous Monsters magazines and so forth fill you in on the whole fiasco?

Another thing about GRA; if you love airplanes, especially model airplanes, you'll love this movie. I sometimes think the planes are more the stars than Godzilla.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Shonokin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:50 pm

I strangely found the Gigantis version to be OK. All the didactic narration didn't bother me until someone pointed it out.

The funny thing is, watching it, I didn't get tripped up on the dialog. But actually reading some of the lines they came up with, especially when they are looking at the dino book and explaining the kaiju origins is utterly bizarre and doesn't even make sense.

I couldn't comment about any other differences as I haven't watched Gigantis since 1993 and saw the Japanese version in 1998. So it's been a while. To remedy that I just finally got the CM DVD.
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby canofhumdingers » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:14 pm

lhb412 wrote:Another thing about GRA; if you love airplanes, especially model airplanes, you'll love this movie. I sometimes think the planes are more the stars than Godzilla.

Man, you totally stole my thunder. :P I love GRA because it's all about pilots. In particular, the sequence where the two main characters run into their buddies from flight training & they all go out to catch up on good times. It very much reminds me of when i run into a friend from flight school & we go catch up over lunch. Aviatiuon is very much a kind of brotherly fraternity type of thing & they really captured that well. I think the fact that Tsubaraya was a pilot himself may have had some influence on that perhaps?

Being an airplane nut, one thing i noticed on this viewing was that there were some notable inconsitencies with the airplanes used for the fish-spotters. They switch back and forth from being radial engines to horizontally opposed engines ("flat" engines) numerous times. Obviously, it's not just the engines, but they are totally different airplanes & they switch back and forth alot, often in the same scene. Not a big deal, just something i noticed.

Overall i really like GRA. It has great monster fights. The main characters are pilots, which is near & dear to me. And it has the distinction of being the only Godzilla movie that feels more like a typical saturday matinee american monster movie from the 50's, which i think is kinda fun.

I must admit i've yet to be able to make myself sit through the english version though...
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

"KOBAYASHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Postby OtiGoji » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:33 am

lhb412 wrote:So what did all you old timers think about the Gigantis version? Were you suprised and confused or did you already have your Famous Monsters magazines.

I saw publicity stills and I guess I presumed it was another Godzilla movie but I was confused that it was and wasn't when it finally came on TV. I guess I liked it okay but it was nowhere as stunning as the original and soon RODAN and THE MYSTERIANS became much more favorited.

I still find it strange the was the whole plot takes a sharp left turn when the fish canning company decides to move north and the monster (whoever it is) follows. I still don't understand who the girl in Kobayashi's picture is.
It just doesn't hold together and the American version is a fever dream. Great cast, though.
OtiGoji
Godzilla Jr.

Postby armandv » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:59 pm

I first saw "Gigantis" in the mid-1960s when KHJ-TV in Los Angeles played it every day for a week.

From the first, it was obvious this was a Godzilla movie, but the "Gigantis" name was odd, even back then.

It is not as good as the first one, but still entertaining.
armandv
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:57 pm

This one is just kind of "there" for me- Its not bad, but its not great either. It was obviously rushed as hell. I do really like the human characters in this one and there are some great moments (like Hiroshi Koizumi's wife seeing the destruction from her window). Also, it introduced my 2nd favorite monster Angilas. I also love the animalistic fight scenes in this one. Its some fierce stuff.

And the Gigantis version is hilariously bad (especially the narration, which seems like it was written for blind people... he literally says EVERYTHING that's on screen). And who doesn't find the footage that Yamane shows of "the beginning of the earth" hilarious.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby ultrazilla2000 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:26 am

I bought this on VHS when it was first released to home video in the early 90's. Video Treasures was it? Anyways, this and Destroy All Monsters were the only two I'd never seen (besides a few clips or catching the very end of on TV), so finding it was like finding a Holy Grail for me! Younger fans don't realize how lucky they have it with virtually every kaiju film at their dvd finger tips. It's not my favorite movie in the series, but it's good and with plenty of action.
ultrazilla2000
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Giganfan » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:49 am

I was fortunate enough to see this one at a time when VHS was all the rage (I was still, like, 5 years old, but whatever!) I cried when Kobayashi died! So it's kind of hard for me to trash a movie that I have such strong sentiment towards (see my castration of Godzilla 1985 in the Heisei forum). But the truth of the matter is, in either form, Godzilla Raids Again is not good. I can't even get through the original Japanese version, because it is so, damn sleepy. Masaru Sato is one of the greatest film composers ever, but here, it really seems like he doesn't know what do do. Thus, you only hear, maybe four or five pieces of music through-out the whole movie. And as far as Motoyoshi Oda is concerned...perhaps this is a bit presumptuous, but this movie would have been alot better if Jun Fukuda directed it, because I've never been so tempted to fast-forward to the monster scenes. Gigantis The Fire Monster is more lively, but among many other things, I just can't get over the fact that both Gigantis and Anguirus have the same roar (Godzilla didn't roar enough in the original version either). Still, Godzilla Raids Again remains an oddity to me, because despite all that I've said, and no matter how many times I've seen it, I always feel as if I'm seeing something that's never been seen. There's just something about it, as bad as it may be.
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan

Postby Irish Gfan » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:54 am

I just rewatched it. I still consider it to be one of the weaker entries. Its not bad, but its basically just a typical monster movie, and comes nowhere near the original.

However, I'll always have a soft spot for this one because it introduced the always dependable Anguiras, who was always fun to watch.
Irish Gfan
Little Godzilla

Postby skiddish » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:21 pm

This might sound strange.
But the first time I saw this movie was on 8mm reel to reel film. That I took out from my local library. Sometime back in early 70's.
I saw what looked like Godzilla on the cover. With the words "Gigantis". So I took it home and watched it on my old 8mm projector.
There was no such thing as the home video camera back then.

I was really confused about Godzilla being called Gigantis until I read an article about it. There was no such things a the internet and fan forums back then.
I think it was an issue of Famous Monster's of Movie land.

That movie brings me back quite a few years.
skiddish
Godzillasaurus

Postby armandv » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:26 pm

I've blogged my Osaka Castle spotlight (originally in G-FAN #79):

http://armandsrancho.blogspot.com/2008/ ... astle.html
armandv
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:50 am

I think the film is weaker compared to G54', but I don't think its bad at all. It's our first versus flick and it plays more like a scifi action film than the scifi horror we got last time. What is interesting is that it plays closer in tone to G54' than King Kong vs. Godzilla will a few years later. I realize GRA is nowhere near as dark and depressing as G54', but it is not a campy sort of romp. G54' was created in part due to 50's American monster scifi, and GRA plays very much like that. Though I think there's already something noticeably different (continuity, the same character being used) in the film. I've always liked this movie and will continue to do so for many years, plus when the camera angle is right I really dig the Gyakushu-Goji suit.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:24 pm

I know it's popular to slam on this film but...well...i just cant help it...this movie has ALWAYS been a disappointment for me, and honestly, part of what keeps me coming back to Godzilla is nostalgia, and my first memory of this movie has always been an awful one...

I had only seen GvsMG and GvsSea Monster when I got a VHS of this movie and it's kind of like only knowing Metallica from the Black Album and then hearing Kill 'em All...so totally different from what I was expecting...I HATED it

when I re-watch this movie, it's always with a sense of dread and no good memories...

this movie has never left a mark of any kind on me other than the end sequence of burying Godzilla under ice (it's actually a pretty innovative way to deal with the big guy) and to this day, that's really the only scene in this movie that excites me...
to those that like it, I'll say its probably BETTER than many of the Heisei and later Showa films but it is one of my least favorites...

IMHO this movie almost killed the Godzilla franchise and it was only by pairing him with two HUGE (popularity wise) monsters in King Kong and Mothra that saved the big guy followed by a total home-run from Toho in Ghidrah...
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:34 pm

Question about this movie if anyone out there is still paying attention...

There's numerous pictures out on the web

LIKE THIS ONE: http://dyn.ifilm.com/resize/image/stills/films/resize/istd/3147364.jpg

or
THIS ONE: http://www.awdsgn.com/Classes/WebI_Fall02/WebI-Final/JBusser/MovieImages/Gigantis.jpg

where Anguirus' carapace (i think that's the word) looks to be flying off his body.

I was wondering where these images come from or if anyone knows anything else about them since I've never seen a moment in this movie where it looks like this is happening...and i've looked, with eyes this wide: :D this wide: :shock: and even this wide: :eek:
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:58 pm

^Those stills were made before the film was completed using images of Godzilla from the first film and the initial model of Angilas, not the finished suit.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:04 am

lhb412 wrote:^Those stills were made before the film was completed using images of Godzilla from the first film and the initial model of Angilas, not the finished suit.

That still doesn't explain why his back is coming off.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:31 am

MouthForWar wrote:
lhb412 wrote:^Those stills were made before the film was completed using images of Godzilla from the first film and the initial model of Angilas, not the finished suit.

That still doesn't explain why his back is coming off.

A scrapped design element, probably. *shrug*
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:28 am

^Maybe they decided to change the design for aesthetic purposes, or maybe it was too difficult to pull off.

Who knows?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Next

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975