TALKBACK #1: Gojira

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

TALKBACK #1: Gojira

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:05 pm

This is the begining of our talkback series. The rules are simple: every weekend we start a talkback thread, watch one Godzilla movie, and at the talkback we list fresh observations and what have you. Don't feel like you have to watch it today or tommorow. You can post whenever after you've watched the film.

This week and the following are a bit special because they're different versions of the same movie. Gojira and Godzilla KOTM are so different I don't think it's possible to think of them as anything but two seperate films.

I'll watch the film later today, so here we go.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby william newell » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:18 am

This, and GMK, are my 2 favorite Godzilla films because to me, there's alot more to the stories than what we get at the surface level. To give an example: For me, the original Gojira can almost be looked at as a parable of the average Japanese citizen's take on WWII for the following reasons...first you have Gojira's attack on the fishing vessels. To me, this represents the embargo placed on Japan after their entry into the Axis Alliance. Then you have Japan attacking Gojira with depth charges in retaliation. This, once again to me, is a stand in for the attack on Pearl Harbor. After this, Gojira goes on the offensive with firebombing and radiation, which is a pretty good condensing of Americas response. There are other examples, but these are the main ones.
I know this is a bit of a stretch, but, as I said earlier, this is what I like most about this film. It has a lot to be be interpretated by the individual viewer.
I hope this was the intention of this thread, and of course the opinions expressed are my own...
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:39 pm

You know, my absolute favorite scenes exorcized from the KOTM version are both from the very begining of the movie. The first is Emiko and Ogata in... uh, his apartment (?), with them about to go out on a date only for Ogata to be called away because of the missing ships. That really sets up the entire film well. The second is the old man on Odo island warning the younguns' about Godzilla. Both scenes really serve a different take on Japanese culture with the modern couple on one end and the old man scolding the new generation on the other. You could watch the entire film thinking about nothing but the old generation vs. new stuff and you'd have a lot to pay attention to.

Also, for the first time I really paid attention to how this film does follow the 1950s monster-on-the-loose genre mold pretty well, while being much tighter, better executed, and from a different cultural perspective of course.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

"Good observation!"

Postby OtiGoji » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:15 pm

lhb412 wrote:... Emiko and Ogata ... the old man on Odo island warning the younguns' about Godzilla. Both scenes really serve a different take on Japanese culture with the modern couple on one end and the old man scolding the new generation on the other. You could watch the entire film thinking about nothing but the old generation vs. new stuff and you'd have a lot to pay attention to.

You've connected two elements of the cultural clash between the old and the new Japan depicted in GODZILLA. The modern, romantic relationship between Emiko and Ogata conflicts with the older, traditional arranged "engagement" between Emiko and Serizawa. This cultural conflict parallels the clash (or disconnect) between the old man's views of Godzilla's nature and origin and the scientific theories put forth by Dr. Yamane.

Everything on Ohto Island reflects the pre-industrial Japanese life, so Godzilla is the result of modern science and, at the same time, coming from the myth or folklore of pre-industrial Japan.
OtiGoji
Godzilla Jr.

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:55 pm

^I've never thought about the old man's mythic explanation and Yamane's scientific one that way before, but you're right.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby OtiGoji » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:24 am

Watching GODZILLA (54) for the 546th time, I am still struck by the dread, terror, grim horror and overall anxiety of the ambience. The prevalence of the ocean, (and how well Mr. Tsuburaya photographed water in miniature) the pacing and editing. I was struck at how brilliant the idea of waiting till near the climax to reveal what the secret Emiko saw in Serizawa's lab.
Mr. Ifukube's music in endlessly amazing and impossible to overstate its importance to the atmosphere.
OtiGoji
Godzilla Jr.

Postby canofhumdingers » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:04 pm

every time i watch this film i'm repeatedly surprised by how good it is. I mean i know it's good. Very good. But some how i forget that it's THAT good. It's kind of like "The Empire Strikes Back" (my favorite movie ever) to me in that way.

Since i'm currently reading through August's book on Eiji Tsubaraya, I've been paying closer attention to the sfx as well. There are some SERIOUSLY awesome matte shots in this movie. The shots of the electrical towers really stand out as being well done. As does the shot where Godzilla peers over the building to blast the police car. I love how you can actually see people run up to the windows to see what's going on! And of course some of the mattes of Godzilla walking in the background as people flee in his first attack on Tokyo. It's too bad the Classic Media disc is a little too dark making some of these shots (in the initial attack) difficult to make out if you're not watching in a very dark room. But i DO love the CM release otherwise.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:35 pm

I need to get my ass in gear and watch this movie. Seriously.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:13 pm

My favorite movie
By my favorite director.
One of my favorite movie scores.

That is all.

Legion wrote:I need to get my ass in gear and watch this movie. Seriously.

Uhhh, you've never seen it? :shock:
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Legion » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:22 pm

MouthForWar wrote:

Not recently.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:48 pm

Legion wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:

Not recently.

Oh. *phew* :lol:
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Legion » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:51 am

I guess this talkback concept is a complete washout, huh? I actually anticipated these threads to be pretty popular but if you look at what everyone's been talking about this past week no one seems interested in discussing Godzilla right now. At all.

I know we're in a dry spell right now when it comes to all things Godzilla but if a thread concept like this can't generate discussion among Godzilla's most hardcore fans...I guess that proves just how dead interest really is right now.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:27 am

... well at least I'm enjoying myself. I just watched Gojira a second time.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:38 am

I have every intention of joining in but right now I've been really busy.

You should try and be a bit more optimistic for once, Legion. :P
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:47 pm

I've been busy too, but at the same time the notion of going through the motions of watching these flicks in order on a weekly basis doesn't really appeal to me.

I think we should be doing this the way we did it back on Gojistomp. Set up a poll every week with five or so diverse Godzilla movies as the options, and whichever one gets the most votes is the one everybody watches that weekend. That's shaking things up and that's interesting. Routinely watching them in order to me just seems boring.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gooberzilla » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:19 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:I've been busy too, but at the same time the notion of going through the motions of watching these flicks in order on a weekly basis doesn't really appeal to me.

I think we should be doing this the way we did it back on Gojistomp. Set up a poll every week with five or so diverse Godzilla movies as the options, and whichever one gets the most votes is the one everybody watches that weekend. That's shaking things up and that's interesting. Routinely watching them in order to me just seems boring.

I like that idea!
Gooberzilla
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:42 pm

Well I don't, and I have the power!

There's only one way to settle this; competing talkback threads!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Legion » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:46 pm

Honestly, if people can't be bothered to simply watch one 90 minute movie (the one that started it all no less) and participate in what's really the only Godzilla-related thread we've got around here how is this "voting" idea going to work?

I mean if no one cares to follow through and watch the movies either way what's the point.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:04 pm

^The point is that I always wanted to watch the series in order and I'm gonna do it even if I'm alone so there!

:P
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:23 pm

To be honest, I haven't actually watched either movie for the talkbacks... I actually didn't realize I was supposed to! I thought we were just giving our thoughts on each film... silly me :oops:
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:32 pm

^Hell, do whatever you want. If you have a comment then by all means share it.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:22 pm

lhb412 wrote:^The point is that I always wanted to watch the series in order and I'm gonna do it even if I'm alone so there!

:P

I'm with you! I've never actually watched all the films in order, & i had actually just started before the talkback idea came about. I'm a little ahead of schedule, but i think the films are fresh enough on my mind still...
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:51 pm

I'd be participating in these, but like I said in the idea thread for this... my collection along with all of my DVDs are in another state and I won't get them moved down here until next month at the earliest.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby Giganfan » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:11 am

All I can say about this film is that it was the right people at the right time. Ishiro Honda was 'somewhat' of a novice director at the time, and he wanted to make a statement on the horrors of not only nuclear disaster, but of war itself, based on what he had seen in his own experience. Eiji Tsuburaya had made a name for himself recreating many of the great naval battles of World War II in miniature form, but was always looking for that one project to pay tribute to his inspiration as a filmmaker (I need not mention it, do I?). And Akira Ifukube was able to see the rushes, via Eiji Tsuburaya, and know exactly how to put music to such a bizarre concept (for Japanese sensibilities anyway). And he created such an iconic roar, to boot. Gojira is as straight-forward as you can get for a movie. Perhaps even painfully so. But the fact remains, it's a damn-good movie.
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan

Postby Irish Gfan » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:34 am

The film is a true monster movie classic that ranks right up there with The Beast of 20,000 Fathoms, King Kong, & various others as one of the best of its kind.

Its a horror movie, and IMO, it stands the test of time of being a really well made film.

Some Godzilla films can fall under the class of "so bad its good" I wouldn't say that personally, but there is a certainly entertainment factor to these kind of films that really have to be a fan to truly appreciate. That is not the case with this one. Its a legit cinematic classic.
Irish Gfan
Little Godzilla

Next

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975