[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Japanese version of Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Japanese version of Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby August » Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:15 am

The UK tapes are not full Tohoscope ratio -- they are cropped -- and closer to VistaVision, which is the same aspect ratio used for the Heisei Godzilla films. I'm glad I saw all of them -- including GHIDRAH -- on the Big Screen, here in the US and in Japan. :)

Peace!
August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
Blog
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby CyHunter » Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:12 pm

VistaVision--is that what they call it? I always called it Half-Assed Vision.

Seriously, the 'psuedo-widescreen' makes it look like a made-for-tv-movie more than a cinematic film, one of the things I hate about the ratio they used in the Heisei series. I almost wish they'd crop off the top and bottom of the Heisei films' frames to make it look like the glorious, wonderful Tohoscope.
CyHunter
Burning Godzilla

Postby musukogoji » Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:57 pm

<Vicious> "YOU ARE SAYING IMPUDENCE TO ME! THAT IS IMPUDENCE!" <Spike> OMGWTF!!!1-- The Worst Cowboy Bebop Fanfic Ever.

musukogoji
Burning Godzilla

Postby CyHunter » Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:13 pm

My point is that I think the type of widescreen like [----] looks more 'epic' than the type like [---]. I may just be crazy, but if I ever became a film director/producer I'd never, ever shoot a film in anything less than 2.35:1 Image

When I call it "psuedo-widescreen" or "half-assed widescreen"
Image I'm merely commentating; I know it's 'widescreen' in that it's wider than 1.33:1, but it just seems pointless to use it when 2.35:1 offers so many more artistic opportunities.
CyHunter
Burning Godzilla

Postby musukogoji » Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:44 am

<Vicious> "YOU ARE SAYING IMPUDENCE TO ME! THAT IS IMPUDENCE!" <Spike> OMGWTF!!!1-- The Worst Cowboy Bebop Fanfic Ever.

musukogoji
Burning Godzilla

Postby CyHunter » Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:50 am

Hmm, well I dunno if it's as big a deal to you as it is to me; I'm notoriously picky about this sort of thing. :lol: If I had t shoot in VistaVision or an equivalent, I'd do what Toho did with G2K and manually blacken out the bottom and top of the screen to make the image appear anamorphic. (Although I wonder why they did this in thier case, since no doubt they have access to anamorphic lenses; maybe they decided to make the glorious return to Tohoscope after the film was done filming?)
CyHunter
Burning Godzilla

Previous

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975