TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby DannyBeane » Sat May 30, 2015 4:35 pm

I really like this film and its offbeat attitude but I will say, more than any other godzilla film, if I'm not in the mood for it, G vs The Smog Monster is a total chore to sit through.
User avatar
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2980
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:13 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat May 30, 2015 8:21 pm

This movie is one of those "I CAN ALWAYS WATCH THIS" G films. Admittedly, there are a large number of those I can just pop in and feel pretty entertained.
(KKvsG, MvsG, MZ, GvsGigan, GvsMG 74', GvsBiollante, G2k)

I just have too much of a blast watching this thing.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18273
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:48 am

I'm the exact opposite. I don't hate it, but it is one of those movies I need long breaks between viewings. Usually a year, if not more.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 10734
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby EricDent » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:22 am

I just watched it on Blu-Ray from Kraken Releasing.
I think it had a slightly different dub than I'm used to (had the older DVD release).
Man it looks great though (never really noticed the eyes of Hedorah during the title) of course the last time I watched it was on a 26" HDTV and now I have a 40" HDTV.

Again somewhat annoyed that there are no subtitles for the infamous "Save the Earth" song.
Yes I tried every subtitle option.
Still think it's a shame that they decided to not put the English version of that song on the last two home video releases.
I mean it's such a nice voice: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kC1CGrVuGV8

Must say the girl who sang the song was stunning in that skintight outfit...
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
User avatar
EricDent
Godzilla
 
Posts: 929
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:29 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby H-Man » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:31 am

EricDent wrote:Still think it's a shame that they decided to not put the English version of that song on the last two home video releases.


Neither the Sony nor Kraken releases have the English "Save the Earth" because it doesn't belong with the English version on those DVDs. "Save the Earth" (the English song) was written and performed for the original American release, Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster, which also had a different English dub (by Titan Productions in New York). The English version on the Sony and Kraken DVD/Blu-Rays is Toho's international version that was dubbed in Hong Kong. That version has always used the Japanese language song instead.
Cody

Image
User avatar
H-Man
Godzilla
 
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:55 am

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby EricDent » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:51 pm

I don't mind the Japanese version of the song, it's just that there are no song subtitles for it...

Which was also a big problem in another thing the same "company" (Sentai Filmworks is part of Section 23) did on the idol anime AKB0048 which they also don't have song subtitles during the episodes (the opening & closing songs do).
That was a big part of the show, since they use the songs to inspire people to rebel against a rather strict government that didn't allow music/art.
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
User avatar
EricDent
Godzilla
 
Posts: 929
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:29 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby eabaker » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:51 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:This movie is one of those "I CAN ALWAYS WATCH THIS" G films. Admittedly, there are a large number of those I can just pop in and feel pretty entertained.
(KKvsG, MvsG, MZ, GvsGigan, GvsMG 74', GvsBiollante, G2k)

I just have too much of a blast watching this thing.


Likewise. I basically never tire of this one, and it's usually one of the first that I show to people I'm familiarizing with the series. Its entertainment value is just through the roof.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
User avatar
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1537
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:43 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby kiryugoji04 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:12 am

Finished this last night:

Image
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
User avatar
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7570
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby lhb412 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:59 pm

That's absolutely lovely!
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14194
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby Henry88 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:Image


Hedorah:oh yeah ,that's the good stuff.
User avatar
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 6935
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:06 pm
Location: Heflin,AL

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:56 pm

Psychedelic art!
Image
User avatar
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 4987
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby lhb412 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:29 am

Watched this in the leadup to Shin Godzilla, and for the first time I really paid attention to the differences in Hedorah's quadruped and biped forms. I guess for most my life I just assumed that it was the same costume, but aside from the size (final form Hedorah is massive) the quadruped's head looks so much fiercer.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14194
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby lhb412 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:59 am

Reading Kalat's book, and was really interested in how Banno was promoted as the hip, modern voice who was gonna take the Godzilla series into a new direction.

When I look at other stylish and surreal Japanese genre films from the '70s (Lone Wolf and Cub, Female Prisoner Scorpion, House) it's obvious Godzilla vs. Hedorah was part of some sort of trend.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14194
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby GFan » Sat May 20, 2017 5:42 pm

lhb412 wrote:Reading Kalat's book, and was really interested in how Banno was promoted as the hip, modern voice who was gonna take the Godzilla series into a new direction.

When I look at other stylish and surreal Japanese genre films from the '70s (Lone Wolf and Cub, Female Prisoner Scorpion, House) it's obvious Godzilla vs. Hedorah was part of some sort of trend.


It's too bad Banno didn't get to make more Godzilla films. They would have certainly been more interesting than GIGAN and MEGALON (don't get me wrong, I love the sh*t out of those two movies).
User avatar
GFan
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2028
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:35 am
Location: Maine

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby Mac » Wed May 31, 2017 8:05 am

On recent re-watch this probably is one of the more beautifully photographed Godzilla films pre-Shin. I think it benefits from being structured more like a Showa-Gamera film too (multiple fights throughout the film, monster continues to evolve/reveal new array of abilities). It really is heart-breaking that he literally spent the last few decades of his life just wanting and failing to make another Godzilla movie.


hen I look at other stylish and surreal Japanese genre films from the '70s (Lone Wolf and Cub, Female Prisoner Scorpion, House) it's obvious Godzilla vs. Hedorah was part of some sort of trend.


I don't know, I've always felt like Terror of Mechagodzilla was more in-line with Japanese exploitation. Thematically it's essentially a pink film, with the docile Katsura eventually having to rise up against her male oppressors.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Image
User avatar
Mac
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:40 pm

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby klen7 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:11 pm

Does anyone know who did the animation sequences in this film? Did they work on anything else animated? Was it all in-house at Toho?

G2KMaster wrote:However, animated sequences were also added. This came by when Banno noticed at the Mitsubishi Expo that a girl asked to borrow a companion magazine at the expo which had manga in it. Banno thought that the young people liked manga, so all animated scenes in the film can be called the first Godzilla "anime".


From what i have read, Toho did pretty much everything in house at this point, so I would expect that it was a team working under Yasuyuki Inoue, although Toho had begun reaching out to outside artists and continued to do so through the 70s. According to an interview with Banno for the book “Tokyo Scope” by Patrick Macias, Banno wanted the avant garde manga artist Yoshiharu Tsuge to do the animation. Tsuge turned down the opportunity because he did not want to work with a team.

So it appears that Banno still wanted the style of the mangaka, but maybe just did it all in house with the Tsuge's Garo Magazine work as the style or influence?
User avatar
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 pm
Location: beyond your peripheral vision

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby lhb412 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:14 pm

^I don't know who did the animation, but thanks for providing a bit more context; aping the style of an 'avant garde' cartoonist instead of simply other animation makes a lot of sense when you look at the competed scenes.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14194
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby Gojira07 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:10 am

Watched this again last night for the first time since right after the Blu-Ray was released. I used to love this one as a kid, but it just hasn't aged well for me. I think the biggest problem is tonally - its just a mess. All the weird 70's Superhero Godzilla/kid friendly stuff clashes so hard with a movie that feels like it wants to be more adult. Some of the Hedorah stuff is legitimately horrifying, and I think this film has the largest bodycount of any Kaiju film from the period, almost everyone dies.

Imagine how affective this film would be if it just leaned into the dark tone all the way.
Gojira07
Godzillasaurus
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:40 am

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby eabaker » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:47 pm

Gojira07 wrote:Watched this again last night for the first time since right after the Blu-Ray was released. I used to love this one as a kid, but it just hasn't aged well for me. I think the biggest problem is tonally - its just a mess. All the weird 70's Superhero Godzilla/kid friendly stuff clashes so hard with a movie that feels like it wants to be more adult. Some of the Hedorah stuff is legitimately horrifying, and I think this film has the largest bodycount of any Kaiju film from the period, almost everyone dies.

Imagine how affective this film would be if it just leaned into the dark tone all the way.


This is actually one that's grown on me a lot. As a kid, that tonal mismatch didn't sit right for me, but the older I've gotten, the more I've come to enjoy - even treasure - that kind of disarming juxtaposition. To me, leaning entirely into one tone or the other would really interfere with the movie's voice.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
User avatar
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1537
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:43 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby lhb412 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:05 pm

Both Godzilla vs. Hedorah and Terror of Mechagodzilla have this extreme tonal clash to them that I think is a big reason why the most ardent fans of those love 'em so much. They may not be in everyone's top five, but the folks who do have them there have them near the top, especially in the case of Hedorah.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14194
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:38 am

For me, even all these years later, when we have pretty much all the films available in some home media format, the ones that were hardest for me to find and watch are the ones I appreciate the most. This was certainly the case with Smog Monster. I saw it once when I was 4 on TV, and that was in 1980, and I don't even know if I saw the whole movie. All I remembered was the scene where Hedorah's ooze was covering the car the two main characters were in, and hedorah's flying form (I thought that was his nly/main form for about a decade), then 10 years later, in 1990, I finally saw it for rent at Blockbuster. In fact this was one of 4 films (The others being Gamera, Gamera vs Guiron and Monster form a Prehistoric Planet), that we made an elaborate plan to rent all in one day, daisy chain our VCR's together, and record them to make copies for ourselves.

G vs. The Smog Monster is up there for me with Destroy All Monsters as both of these were the last G films I saw as a kid since they were seemingly never on TV in the 1980's. Of course they did both show up in the mid 90's on sci-fi channel, and on home video shortly thereafter, but of course those were the Toho International dubs. thankfully the Orion VHS (which I own) of Smog Monster has the AIP dub, and before MB offered their *butchered* AIP of DAM, I got it on VHS from a friend off of a TV broadcast from many years ago.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2743
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:06 pm

lhb412 wrote:Both Godzilla vs. Hedorah and Terror of Mechagodzilla have this extreme tonal clash to them that I think is a big reason why the most ardent fans of those love 'em so much. They may not be in everyone's top five, but the folks who do have them there have them near the top, especially in the case of Hedorah.


I'm definitely in that camp. Terror is my favorite Godzilla movie and Hedorah is really high up for me too. Both of them do have very surreal blends of light and dark tones that make them unique not just among the Godzilla pantheon but among movies in general.


O.Supreme wrote:For me, even all these years later, when we have pretty much all the films available in some home media format, the ones that were hardest for me to find and watch are the ones I appreciate the most. This was certainly the case with Smog Monster. I saw it once when I was 4 on TV, and that was in 1980, and I don't even know if I saw the whole movie. All I remembered was the scene where Hedorah's ooze was covering the car the two main characters were in, and hedorah's flying form (I thought that was his nly/main form for about a decade), then 10 years later, in 1990, I finally saw it for rent at Blockbuster. In fact this was one of 4 films (The others being Gamera, Gamera vs Guiron and Monster form a Prehistoric Planet), that we made an elaborate plan to rent all in one day, daisy chain our VCR's together, and record them to make copies for ourselves.

G vs. The Smog Monster is up there for me with Destroy All Monsters as both of these were the last G films I saw as a kid since they were seemingly never on TV in the 1980's. Of course they did both show up in the mid 90's on sci-fi channel, and on home video shortly thereafter, but of course those were the Toho International dubs. thankfully the Orion VHS (which I own) of Smog Monster has the AIP dub, and before MB offered their *butchered* AIP of DAM, I got it on VHS from a friend off of a TV broadcast from many years ago.


Godzilla vs. Hedorah was really hard to find on home video in the late '90s. In fact, I never found it! I first saw it when it aired on the SciFi Channel around Christmas 2000 and the tape that I recorded it on was my only physical copy of the movie until Sony released their DVD in 2004.

Even when I watch Hedorah today, I do still feel that ping of joy in the back of my mind about watching a Godzilla movie that was so elusive to me for so long. The only Showa Series entry that I didn't see until after Hedorah was Godzilla Raids Again when I finally got a used copy of the old Video Treasures tape in 2002. Even though it was my final conquest of the Showa Series, GRA never became a favorite of mine like Hedorah. I think hearing Anguirus' roar come out of Godzilla had a lot to do with that.
Image
User avatar
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 4987
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby DannyBeane » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:03 am

My local video store had a vhs copy of Smog Monster that I would abuse when I wasn't renting Gigan or Mechagodzilla. They also had G-85 and Megalon.
User avatar
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2980
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:13 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby Gojira07 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:06 pm

lhb412 wrote:Both Godzilla vs. Hedorah and Terror of Mechagodzilla have this extreme tonal clash to them that I think is a big reason why the most ardent fans of those love 'em so much. They may not be in everyone's top five, but the folks who do have them there have them near the top, especially in the case of Hedorah.


Whats weird is that it works better for me on ToMG. I think its not as jarring.
Gojira07
Godzillasaurus
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:40 am

Re: TALKBACK #11: Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:36 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:Even when I watch Hedorah today, I do still feel that ping of joy in the back of my mind about watching a Godzilla movie that was so elusive to me for so long. The only Showa Series entry that I didn't see until after Hedorah was Godzilla Raids Again when I finally got a used copy of the old Video Treasures tape in 2002. Even though it was my final conquest of the Showa Series, GRA never became a favorite of mine like Hedorah. I think hearing Anguirus' roar come out of Godzilla had a lot to do with that.


My feelings are pretty much the same. I purchased from a mom-and-pop video store their copy of Orion's Smog Monster VHS, as well as a few other early paramount Godzilla releases on VHS in the early 90's. I found the Video Treasures GRA literally at a grocery store in 1990, and begged my mom to get it as an 8th grade graduation gift. Though I had never seen it before, as you said, it did not resonate with me as did Smog Monster or DAM.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2743
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

PreviousNext

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest