TALKBACK #4: Mothra vs. Godzilla

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: TALKBACK #4: Mothra vs. Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:38 am

I know opinions and all, but wow, I just got into a debate with someone who said this is the worst in the entire franchise.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:45 am

Dr Kain wrote:I know opinions and all, but wow, I just got into a debate with someone who said this is the worst in the entire franchise.

How? The Heisei definitely but I don't understand hating the showa film.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:33 am

DannyBeane wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:I know opinions and all, but wow, I just got into a debate with someone who said this is the worst in the entire franchise.

He actually said the 92 Mothra movie was a better movie because the monsters fought more.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:38 pm

Dr Kain wrote:
DannyBeane wrote:

He actually said the 92 Mothra movie was a better movie because the monsters fought more.

While I might question some people's opinions on films, I rarely outright say someone's opinion is wrong. This person's opinion is wrong. Its like saying The 76' Kong is the best Kong film ever and the 33' one is garbage. Its ignorant.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:50 pm

DannyBeane wrote:While I might question some people's opinions on films, I rarely outright say someone's opinion is wrong. This person's opinion is wrong. Its like saying The 76' Kong is the best Kong film ever and the 33' one is garbage. Its ignorant.

What's funny is I asked him what his top Godzilla movies are and he stopped responding.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Great MM » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:12 pm

... How can someone say this movie is one of the worst of the franchise? Some people, man. Some people.
The Great MM
Godzilla

Postby Geno » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:39 am

Out of all the Showa films by Honda, I'd say MvG is one of the weakest.
The only kind of real fantasy
Geno
Baby Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:28 am

Geno wrote:Out of all the Showa films by Honda, I'd say MvG is one of the weakest.

Could you elaborate?
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:57 am

Geno wrote:Out of all the Showa films by Honda, I'd say MvG is one of the weakest.

Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:46 am

The weakest? How so? This is the movie where they perfected their craft.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:53 am

DannyBeane wrote:While I might question some people's opinions on films, I rarely outright say someone's opinion is wrong. This person's opinion is wrong. Its like saying The 76' Kong is the best Kong film ever and the 33' one is garbage. Its ignorant.

Yeah, this kid also said that Dagahra is one of Toho's best creations....um....yeah. It wouldn't surprise me if he's just trolling, but sadly I'm seeing more of this type of nonsense from newer fans of the genre.
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:43 am

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:

Yeah, this kid also said that Dagahra is one of Toho's best creations....um....yeah. It wouldn't surprise me if he's just trolling, but sadly I'm seeing more of this type of nonsense from newer fans of the genre.

Oddly enough I don't think he is trolling as well. I've seen many people that don't seem to want to acknowledge any movies made before they were born which is ridiculous.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:19 am

DannyBeane wrote:I've seen many people that don't seem to want to acknowledge any movies made before they were born which is ridiculous.

When I went to see Star Trek Into Darkness, a friend of a friend was there who brought another friend, maybe their girlfriend. Anyway, she went just because of Cumberbatch and when asked if she seen any of the original Star Trek she said something like that or she didn't watch things that were black and white (which made even less sense). Crap like that makes me automatically think less of a person.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:45 am

I've got a friend who is kind of like that. Unless it is Mel Brooks, whenever we are deciding what movies to watch if we mention anything before the 70s he'll be like, "No offense, classics are cool and all, but I've already seen the good ones, how about we watch something newer instead?" He is also the person who is constantly checking the time on his phone in the movie theater. He just has no patience, he doesn't like movies that are fun either. It either has to be a comedy or explosions.

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:

Actually, the dude I was referring to was on GameFAQs, not TohoKingdom.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Rody » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:43 pm

lhb412 wrote:
Bruticus wrote:EDIT: Watching it now and I take that back - I don't think it's oil. I'm guessing it's just a blemish of some kind, like a freckle. Or maybe Godzilla's subtly multi-coloured.

That's what I always assumed. When you examine something closely you see all sorts of colors and details that are completely lost in normal view.

...So, all this time, Godzilla hasn't even been charcoal grey; his official color is rainbow! :lol:
Rody
Godzilla

Re: excellent

Postby swfreakjpb » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:48 pm

Xenorama wrote:
i've always wondered why Godzilla was after the egg.

David

So... any serious theories on this?
Joined in 1997

"Godzilla doesn't give a crap about France" (Tom Green)

Where's a Giant Monster when you need one?
swfreakjpb
Godzilla

Postby Joseph Goodman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:41 pm

He needed the protein for sick gains. Does Mothra even lift?
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:39 pm

Enemy monsters are just naturally drawn to each other.

I feel that by the '60s we start adhering to alternate universe kaiju logic, even in Mothra vs. Godzilla, ostensibly the '60s Godzilla movie played the most 'straight.'
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:03 am

Random observation - anyone else notice the glowing of Godzilla's fins is a bit mismatched?

~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 pm

I notice that every time I watch the movie... but I don't know why it ended up that way. Honestly, it's a mistake that looks almost natural, like it's the kind of photographic flaw that would manifest if you actually filmed Godzilla.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:01 am

Yeah, it’s just a misalignment of the rotoscoping during the compositing process. I don’t know for certain exactly how it happens, but I’m pretty sure it’s just the various pieces of film used to create the composite image were not physically lined up well enough as they went through the optical printer.

Here’s an example of the same thing from an outtake of Star Wars:

In this case, it looks like they accidentally put the lightsaber-color film layer in flopped. (Like, it should be a mirror image of what we see here if it were going to properly line up with the blades).
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:15 pm

I was watching my Classic Media DVD of Mothra vs Godzilla and I've noticed something I've never seen before. During the fight on the island when the Mothra Larva grabs Godzilla by the tail, you can see where the prop accidentally splits open. I've seen these films dozens of times and I'm still noticing things I've never seen before. Image
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:08 pm

Ha! That's something I always notice but have probably never mentioned before because so much is going on in that sequence it's soon out of mind.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Previous

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975