TALKBACK #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: TALKBACK #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon

Postby Mac » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:17 pm

Always dug the wide open scope of these later Showa-era films, apparently, that was no accident. Just realized that Yuzuru Aizawa, who shot Kurosawa's The Bad Sleep Well worked as cinematographer on both this and Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla!
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby battrafan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:25 am

Easily the worst showa film for me..it's the only one I can't at least sit down and watch through.

What makes it worse is that I wasn't able to watch it until I was a bit older compared to the other showa films, and my expectations were something at least matching the production quality of Gigan.

Too bad, since Megalon is a cool design.

It just seems like a cheap overly long kids tv episode.

At least with revenge the human parts have a charm to them.
battrafan

Postby eabaker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:02 pm

battrafan wrote:What makes it worse is that I wasn't able to watch it until I was a bit older compared to the other showa films, and my expectations were something at least matching the production quality of Gigan.

Oh, yeah, I can see where that would really hurt this one in your eyes. I grew up when this one was showing up on TV a lot, so it was one of the earliest I saw, which gives it a nostalgic appeal that contributes a lot to its watchability for me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby battrafan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:21 pm

eabaker wrote:
battrafan wrote:What makes it worse is that I wasn't able to watch it until I was a bit older compared to the other showa films, and my expectations were something at least matching the production quality of Gigan.

Oh, yeah, I can see where that would really hurt this one in your eyes. I grew up when this one was showing up on TV a lot, so it was one of the earliest I saw, which gives it a nostalgic appeal that contributes a lot to its watchability for me.

I always used to see it listed in local tv guides on cable channels I didn't have, and that just built up the anticipation over the years.

The description was, "Godzilla and flying cyborg Jet Jaguar fight a giant cockroach and big black chicken( :lol: I know).

So naturally I thought Jet Jaguar was a giant flying robotic jaguar.

Then I saw what he actually was..
battrafan

Postby klen7 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:42 am

Recently got the new Jet Jaguar booklet from Toho. Interesting fact, there were 2 miniatures of flying Jet Jaguar, one was approximately 20cm tall and the other was about 90cm tall
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Listening to the Steve Ryfle/Ed G. commentary track and Steve just said that Shigeru Mizuki designed Gigan?!

What? What!?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:06 am

^ That sounds cool, but incorrect. Did he say Shigeru or Takayoshi?

Takayoshi Mizuki designed Gigan. He was working at a Weekly Shonen Magazine by Kodansha doing full color illustrations (during the monster boom). Kodansha recommended him to Toho when Toho was looking for an illustrator to make a "more colorful" monster (he said this was due to the popularity of Ultraman). He was told it needed to be a "monster of the universe" with no additional information about the script, and he was excited to be able to create his monster because professionally he had only been drawing other peoples designs. The recent Toho Champion Matsuri Perfection book from Dengeki Hobby Books has an interview with him where spells out where each design element came from and cites Toru Narita's design work as an inspiration.

http://www.art-micbox.com
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:53 am

^ Ah, so Steve gunked up!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Previous

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975