TALKBACK #15: Terror of Mechagodzilla

Discuss the original series of Godzilla films! From "Terror of Tokyo" to Puppy-faced Super-hero, the Showa Era had something for everyone!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: TALKBACK #15: Terror of Mechagodzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Sun May 10, 2015 2:07 pm

Bruticus wrote:+ The contrast between the '70s tokusatsu aesthetic and the brooding script is a little shaky at times, but it works well overall. Without the alien outfits and the wire effects during the final fight, the film might have worked somewhat better.

I think this is one of the many things that make it so interesting. The style of the genre was so over the top at the time, but this movie still dared to tell a dark story out of it. It worked in context of what was the norm at the time.

A while ago I tried compiling all the information I could about the film and wrote out it's production history in celebration of the 40th Anniversary. I absolutely love this move. As flawed as it is, it is absolutely one of the most compelling and unique movies in the series. I just love it. A top 10 Godzilla film for sure:

Terror of MechaGodzilla's 40th Anniversary: The Making of Titans & Tragedies
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby GFan » Thu May 14, 2015 6:38 pm

Gman2887 wrote:
Bruticus wrote:+ The contrast between the '70s tokusatsu aesthetic and the brooding script is a little shaky at times, but it works well overall. Without the alien outfits and the wire effects during the final fight, the film might have worked somewhat better.

I think this is one of the many things that make it so interesting. The style of the genre was so over the top at the time, but this movie still dared to tell a dark story out of it. It worked in context of what was the norm at the time.

A while ago I tried compiling all the information I could about the film and wrote out it's production history in celebration of the 40th Anniversary. I absolutely love this move. As flawed as it is, it is absolutely one of the most compelling and unique movies in the series. I just love it. A top 10 Godzilla film for sure:

Nice read. I had no choice but to go watch TOMG afterwards. After growing up with the Bob Conn hack job, watching the Japense version still always feels like a treat. The film has aged really well with me, not just for the serious tone, but the monster fights beat most of what we saw in the Heisei/Millenium series.
GFan
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu May 14, 2015 11:46 pm

GFan wrote: but the monster fights beat most of what we saw in the Heisei/Millenium series.

I have to agree.
Dr Kain
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Fri May 15, 2015 1:21 am

I think the monster fights in themselves were pretty good. And Godzilla's characterization works here too. I just wish it was better edited. You can tell enough was left on the cutting room, because the flow of the fight is so weird at times.

Interestingly enough, I think Jun Fukuda would have pulled off a good effort in this movie too if he worked on it.

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri May 15, 2015 8:40 am

Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! wrote:I think the monster fights in themselves were pretty good. And Godzilla's characterization works here too. I just wish it was better edited. You can tell enough was left on the cutting room, because the flow of the fight is so weird at times.

Interestingly enough, I think Jun Fukuda would have pulled off a good effort in this movie too if he worked on it.

It would have been interesting to see him work on such a dour script. Although I kind of love Honda's hand in this. A lot of that probably has to do with my own recent resurgence in love for this movie. It was something I liked but not something I loved until much, much later. I think it's the romance here. That sort of thing was really within Honda's interests, right? The editing does get strange, but it almost adds to the kooky atmosphere.

One part Gothic Horror, One Part weird-ass Japanese scifi (THOSE HELMETS).
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Fri May 15, 2015 4:59 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! wrote:I think the monster fights in themselves were pretty good. And Godzilla's characterization works here too. I just wish it was better edited. You can tell enough was left on the cutting room, because the flow of the fight is so weird at times.

It would have been interesting to see him work on such a dour script. Although I kind of love Honda's hand in this. A lot of that probably has to do with my own recent resurgence in love for this movie. It was something I liked but not something I loved until much, much later. I think it's the romance here. That sort of thing was really within Honda's interests, right? The editing does get strange, but it almost adds to the kooky atmosphere.

As I said before, I think Honda's editing of the fight scenes are so weird. I think its just fine in the non monster sequences. Like the storyboards and the filming didn't match up. Jun Fukuda working on a dour script thats zany? ever seen ESPY? Pretty rad.

This is third favorite Honda Godzilla film, but I do not enjoy it as much as Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. I do feel sad watching the final minutes for an entire group of reasons.

Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Postby Bruticus » Sat May 16, 2015 4:06 am

Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! wrote:And Godzilla's characterization works here too.

It struck me, as I was watching, that TOMG's Godzilla isn't nearly as interesting as his opponents. He doesn't do much that's outrageous, and he's the straight-faced white hat to MG and Titanosaurus' laughing black hats. More or less as Ichinose is to Mafune and Mugal. He's just trying to win, which is fair enough - the odds are heavily against him - but he feels rather flat. Blasting Titanosaurus at the end does colour him a darker shade than usual, though.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! Its burning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this: my love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! Shining Finger! Go! Go! Go!" - Domon Kasshu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Bruticus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat May 16, 2015 8:19 pm

Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:

As I said before, I think Honda's editing of the fight scenes are so weird. I think its just fine in the non monster sequences. Like the storyboards and the filming didn't match up. Jun Fukuda working on a dour script thats zany? ever seen ESPY? Pretty rad.

This is third favorite Honda Godzilla film, but I do not enjoy it as much as Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. I do feel sad watching the final minutes for an entire group of reasons.

I haven't seen ESPY...but by that description I feel like I need to. Another thing to do this summer.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:22 pm

^Hmmm... I need to see ESPY, too.

This year I'm gonna make a concerted effort to fill in all the gaps of my genre knowledge when it comes to other Toho genre films, obscure kaiju, ect.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Sun May 17, 2015 9:50 pm

lhb412 wrote:^Hmmm... I need to see ESPY, too.

This year I'm gonna make a concerted effort to fill in all the gaps of my genre knowledge when it comes to other Toho genre films, obscure kaiju, ect.

Its a pretty ambitious movie, and it shows. Jun Fukuda seems more at home here (like in the Ironfinger movies with Akira Takarada which are on Hulu btw). Its a true around the world adventure in every sense of the word.

Seen The Last War and Submersion of Japan? Those are pretty good too.

Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:34 pm

^They're on the list!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:40 pm

Having just seen this again recently, one of my biggest grips about this movie (among many), was how they played Akihiko Hirata. I thought, he as a good enough actor to play "older" and not needing a white wig and mustache, because they really do stick out like a sore thumb. But since he was in the previous Mechagodzilla movie, I guess they figure that they had to make him up to be that older and eccentric character. It is ashamed they could not get Takashi Shimura to play Mafune. That would have been a major coup!
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Sun May 01, 2016 1:11 am

At one point, this was probably my all time favorite Godzilla film. That honor has since been won by Monster Zero, but ToMG remains a movie I really like despite some obvious flaws. The editing is especially bad at times, and the characters don't quite hit home the way I would expect them to for such a straight forward movie. It also feels like everyone dies in this, sometimes brutally so, and it's kind of a downer. Mugal beats people with a whip and sentences them to death after. Katsura kills herself. Her Father is shot and dies. People have their vocal chords slashed, and the lone escapee is shot 100 times on camera. For a Godzilla film, the level of violence feels out of place. Still, Titanosaurus is an awesome monster and Showa MG has some fantastic destruction scenes. I especially like the fact that the battles were often filmed outside and the miniatures are so well done. There are some very unique camera angles used in this movie, and most of them pay off in a big way. I also love Ifukube's score.

All that said, this is a movie I would probably knock down a few pegs after this latest rewatch (I really need to redo my rankings).
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:19 am

GMAN:
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Previous

Return to The Showa Era: 1954-1975