GODZILLA: KotM SPOILERS AND SPECULATION

This is the place to discuss Legendary Pictures' Godzilla film and upcoming sequels, as well as Kong: Skull Island and the upcoming Godzilla vs. Kong!! Let everyone know what you think and discuss your thoughts and ideas about the upcoming films!!!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: GODZILLA: KotM SPOILERS AND SPECULATION

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:08 pm

From the latest TV spot:

Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:48 pm

Gargantuan Gargantua wrote:I caved a watched this tv spot. I figured 30 seconds wouldn't ruin the movie for me.

I am more interested about...

Spoiler Below:
mystery kaiju's. I hope they make some interesting designs and I hope we get some toys from them too.

Benjamin Haines wrote:From the latest TV spot:

Spoiler Below:

Spoiler Below:

From Godzilla: Awakening via Twitter:
Spoiler Below:
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:38 pm

^ That's Godzilla emerging from the water in that comic panel. Shinomura is the smaller blue creature.

I think it's interesting how Godzilla fandom has entirely different standards than the general public about what constitutes spoilers. The fact that this movie has more monsters than you can shake a stick at is one of the main selling points in the marketing and it's something that will get uninitiated kids and general moviegoers excited. Godzilla fandom, though? Any monsters beyond the classic foes named at Comic-Con 2014 are spoilers!
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:42 pm

I hope Mothra joins Rodan in the aerial battle.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Re: GODZILLA: KING OF THE MUTOS (SPOILERS)

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:58 am

Godzilla Movies:
Spoiler Below:
Additional Titans in Godzilla 2 are NOT other Toho Monsters
Chris wrote:There have been numerous rumors which have circulated about Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters and the potential of additional Toho Monsters (not including Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah) being included. Although some of these rumors have seemed probable in a few cases, none of them were ever confirmed. But now, thanks to the February issue of Movie Hidden Treasure Magazine, we have confirmation from director Michael Dougherty himself that the other, unnamed Titans are NOT Toho Monsters.

The magazine was translated and broken down by our friends at Gormaru Island, check out some other points that were brought up:
Michael Dougherty believes the original 1954 Godzilla is the Godzilla with the best dorsal fins.

In bringing back the classical themes, Michael Dougherty states that he wholeheartedly believes that Akira Ifukube's iconic franchise scores and themes should never be separated from any Godzilla movie.

Michael Dougherty - "On the first day when we started principal photography on 'King of the Monsters', my agent gave me a photo of Godzilla, a photo that was signed by Godzilla himself Mr. Nakajima (Haruo Nakajima).

While I was filming the movie, throughout the entire duration, I had it framed up in my trailer. In a way, it seemed akin to an alter.

When Nakajima had passed, we had turned down the lights on set, and our entire staff, all of us, stayed silent. And we kept silent. Even for the American staff working on the film, Mr. Nakajima was a treasured existence."

Michael Dougherty Having To Correct The SFX Crew About the Proper Depiction of Ghidorah's Gravity Beams!

"When the animators tried to make the gravity beams different, I would stepped in, and with readied images in hand of Ghidorah and the original gravity beams seen in films, I would say 'No, that is different!' "

In regards to the mysterious other Titans teased to rise in KOTM, and in answering on the speculation of one of them being another Toho-Monster, Michael Dougherty states "There are no other Toho-Monsters appearing".
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:01 pm

So, spoilers ahead...

Spoiler Below:
From the plot synopsis that was posted online after one of the test screenings last year, at the end of the movie:

The Russell family is brought together again and Emma makes a noble sacrifice to use the Orca and drive Ghidorah’s attention towards her so her family and the Monarch team can escape via chopper.

During a car chase, Ghidorah strikes her car with lightning and launches her from her vehicle. Dying and laying on the road, her last words are "Long Live The King".

Spoiler Below:
From Business Wire, 11/12/2018:
“Godzilla vs. Kong” is being directed by Adam Wingard. The film stars Alexander Skarsgård, Millie Bobby Brown, Rebecca Hall, Brian Tyree Henry, Shun Oguri, Eiza González, Jessica Henwick, Julian Dennison, with Kyle Chandler and Demián Bichir.

Vera Farmiga is the only member of the Russell family cast not returning for Godzilla vs. Kong.

Spoiler Below:
From the latest TV spot:
phpBB [media]

Even out of context, it's really not cool when studios' marketing departments put spoiler shots like that in the advertising.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:02 pm

COLLIDER MARCH 21, 2019:
Spoiler Below:
Michael Dougherty Says His ‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters’ Is to ‘Godzilla’ as ‘Aliens’ Is to ‘Alien’

COLLIDER MARCH 21, 2019:
Spoiler Below:
‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters’: What We Learned on Set at the Kaiju Brawl
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:21 am

I try to steer clear of spoilers, but I saw the list of new kaiju for the film, their names drawn from religion and folklore - and there are quite a few more of them than I expected! If a couple of them play greater than cameo roles then this will be more like a remake of Destroy All Monsters then a remake of Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:06 am

Well, as I've stated earlier, I pretty much have shut me down! The press tours are coming up, and while I will not mind the actors appearing all over the place and hyping the movie, I just hope they won't bring with them some new footage or new information. As far as a third trailer or T.V. spots, I am pretty much done with those. This is all coming from my lesson with "The Force Awakens" when I commented on a T.V. spot on YouTube, and then some nitwit responded by giving me three plot points, all which turned out to be true! :cry: Guys, heads up on any of those leaking. It seems to be part of the game now.
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:42 pm

mr.negativity wrote:COLLIDER MARCH 21, 2019:
Michael Dougherty Says His ‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters’ Is to ‘Godzilla’ as ‘Aliens’ Is to ‘Alien’

COLLIDER MARCH 21, 2019:
‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters’: What We Learned on Set at the Kaiju Brawl

Great stuff!

These are some of my favorite bits from that interview with Michael Dougherty:

Michael Dougherty wrote:I felt there was an opportunity to sort of craft Monarch as a group of humanists, who unlike a lot of top secret government agencies where they have their own nefarious mission statements, Monarch has a very positive outlook on what these creatures are and what they represent. And the idea of a team of heroes who are scientists really appealed to me. This isn’t a Marvel film where you people in mech suits or with superpowers getting into endless fist fights. These are just very intelligent, capable people, who are up against impossible odds. So in a time where, in our current climate, where science is being constantly questioned and targeted, the idea of creating a film where scientists are heroes, I thought was really important.

I think you should be able to close your eyes and listen to the creatures and be able to identify them without any visual whatsoever. Because the sounds of the creatures are so distinct. Like Ghidorah’s got that really cool trill, shriek to it. And so what I did was I gave a super cut of all the creature noises, from the original films, to the sound designers and said start here. And then start layering and playing but they have to be as distinct as the original films. But to even our previous intimations, Ghidorah, Rodan, Mothra, have the beginnings of some of those sounds.

Yeah, similar to the sounds of the creatures, to me it’s really important that the silhouette of the creatures are the originals. Like, that’s always the basis of any good creature design, is the silhouette. In the same way that you have to be able to listen to the creature noises and identify the creature without seeing it, you need to be able to look at the silhouette of the monster whether it’s the alien (from Alien), Godzilla or whatever and be able to identify it. So we started with silhouettes. Just to make sure we get their very distinct shapes. You can’t have Ghidorah without the two tails and the three heads. It’s got to have the right amount of horns, and then the wings are a very distinct shape. They’re not traditional western dragons. So those were marching orders from the beginning, to make sure that Ghidorah looks more like an eastern dragon versus a western. You know, we don’t want it to look like Game of Thrones’ dragons.

The same thing for Rodan. Two horns, very distinct wings, the armor chest plate. And the good news too is Toho has very specific requirements. All of which I completely agree with. The bigger challenge was Mothra. How do you take a giant moth and make it look cool? It can’t be a moth magnified big. The beauty of it is, I had to go down a rabbit hole and really research moths. And it turns out moths are very different from butterflies. They are super cool insects. And there are so many different species of moths and have very different shapes. Some of which almost look predatory. Some are much more sleek and a little scary looking than the typical Mothra design.

So the approach for Mothra is to create an insectoid, huge creature that looks believable from every angle, and especially in motion. But also looking at the different kinds of aspects we can draw from nature like bioluminescence and moth dust. And even going back to the idea that these creatures were once worshipped as gods. What would she look like flying in the sky at night? I wanted to jump off of this idea that if you saw Mothra in the sky at night you would think you were looking at an angel. That you were looking at a god. I don’t know if you guys are fans on Ancient Aliens – but I love it. There’s a certain approach there. It’s like, okay, primitive man saw these creatures, and you want to give them a presence that would make him drop to his knees and bow to this god. Same thing with Rodan. It can’t just look like big dinosaurs. Jurassic Park has that covered. They have to be distinct. They have to be their own thing. They’re Titans.

We definitely see the creatures a lot more in this movie. But, again, what I loved about the visual aspect of Gareth’s film is that he treated them with a sense of reality. There was never a magic CGI flying camera. Every shot of the creatures felt like it could have been shot by an actual human being. Whether they’re on a helicopter or a crane, hand held, whatever, the camera movements were never artificial. And so that’s also one of our ground rules. Because it does take you out of the movie, whether consciously or sub-consciously, when you realise that oh, there’s no way a camera could have possibly gotten that shot. And it adds a sense of weight and reality to it. Which I think is missing from a lot of block buster movies.

lhb412 wrote:I try to steer clear of spoilers, but I saw the list of new kaiju for the film, their names drawn from religion and folklore - and there are quite a few more of them than I expected! If a couple of them play greater than cameo roles then this will be more like a remake of Destroy All Monsters then a remake of Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster!

Where was that list? That Collider set visit article only named Leviathan, Abandon, Behemoth and “Thypoon” (I'm guessing they meant Typhoon).
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:27 pm

^ Fans aggregated the various names given in separate articles:

http://astoundingbeyondbelief.tumblr.co ... m-godzilla
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:31 pm

Thanks for the link. That Tumblr page led me to those articles from Bloody-Disgusting and JoBlo, both of which feature a lot of the same quotes from Michael Dougherty as the Collider articles, word-for-word. I guess Dougherty was just speaking to all of them at once.

As for additional monsters, between Collider, JoBlo and Bloody-Disgusting, they've named Baphomet, Typhoon, Abaddon, Bunyip, Methuselah, Leviathan, Behemoth and Sargon. That's only eight new monsters, while the Monarch Sciences website shows 15 classified outposts around the world on top of the ones we know about.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Baltan II » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:26 pm

Ben, Behemoth is their speaker system.
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:00 pm

^ Indeed, but this Collider article that mr.negativity linked to also named Behemoth as a monster listed on one of Monarch's screens on the set.

Of course, Collider's recollection is the most suspect because they also misspelled Typhoon as "Thypoon" and Abaddon as "Abandon."
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Baltan II » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:13 pm

Whoops, missed the Collider link, just saw the other two.
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:48 am

When I heard that Rodan supposedly emerges from a Volcano in mexico, it reminded me of a story I heard as a kid that freaked me out:

https://mashable.com/2017/06/24/eruptio ... 0afRRBvOqw

Also, just by coincidence, one of Mexico's Volcano's has been quite active lately:

https://www.euronews.com/2019/03/29/dra ... no-erupted
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:49 pm

Didn't intend to click on the new spot, but... my goodness.

I think I simultaneously peed in my pants and came in them at the same time... all while crying. Seriously, the shot of Rodan colliding in aerial combat with Ghidorah brought tears of love & joy to my old eyes.

Lord have mercy, if this movie turns out as cool as it looks, I may just ask Michael Dougherty to marry me. (Hope my wife won't object too much. :lol: To her credit, she's incredibly understanding and tolerant of my off the chain kaiju/superhero/tokusatsu lust. :lol: )
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby KaiserGhidorah » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:30 pm

Leaked footage is amazing. It's a full blown 5 minute trailer. There was an excellent rip on youtube which WB did pull unfortunately. The Ghidorah intro is spectacular leading up to his first confrontation with Godzilla and the Burning Godzilla is def. a thing. It looks amazing.
KaiserGhidorah
Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:55 am

Watched this on imax. Had tears in my eyes. This is the Ghidrah I've wanted to see my whole life.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Bluejira » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:52 pm

I watched it in IMAX as well. We are in for such a treat. In just a few minutes you could tell the monsters are actual characters. They are all presented with such grandeur. I was awestruck and I've been watching event movies for 40 plus years.
Bluejira
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:03 pm

I'm no longer avoiding new TV spots and trailers for this movie. I thought it might at least be fun to match up the test screening plot description that was posted online last year with the amount of footage that Warner Bros. has already given away in the marketing.

If you want to read a complete plot synopsis for Godzilla: King of the Monsters with a boatload of hi-res screencaps, just click the "Show" button below. 100% spoilers here for those interested.

Spoiler Below:
*Flashback: San Francisco, 2014*

The movie opens with a POV of Emma Russell (Vera Farmiga) and Mark Russell (Kyle Chandler) searching for their son during the San Francisco battle from the previous movie. We see Godzilla and they stare at him.

We then cut to the present with Emma Russell and daughter Madison Russell. It is established that Emma and Mark have both separated since their son was lost.

Emma Russell and Madison Russell, both Monarch scientists, investigate an enormous egg inside a temple in China.

It soon hatches, giving birth to a larva Mothra.

Mothra freaks out due to confusion and webs a couple of soldiers to the temple wall.

Emma Russell decides to use a special device that she and her ex-husband invented known as the Orca to calm the baby Mothra by emitting frequencies that only Titans can respond to. Mothra becomes docile, and we get the scene in the trailer where Madison reaches out to touch her.

Eco-terrorists suddenly show up in jets and begin bombing the area.

Mothra manages to escape during the confusion and hides underneath a waterfall, and the terrorists kidnap both Emma and Madison.

We see Dr. Serizawa (Ken Watanabe), Dr. Vivienne Graham (Sally Hawkins), and Sam Coleman (Thomas Middleditch) being questioned at a Senate hearing about whether the military should take over operations at Monarch.

We are treated to a comical scene involving footage of the MUTO nuzzle scene from the previous film when suddenly Monarch gets the message of the kidnapping and abruptly leave…

Monarch reaches out to Mark Russell (who is now photographing wolves) because he can track the frequencies the eco-terrorists leave behind when using the Orca. He doesn’t fully warm up to the organization due to their involvement with Godzilla and the Titans, as he blames Godzilla for his son's death.

Monarch takes Mark Russell to a secret underwater base called "Castle Bravo" in Bermuda. It’s established Monarch has many facilities all around the world for different Titans still in hibernation. The Bermuda camp is for tracking Godzilla, and it’s stated Monarch has been tracking him since he left San Francisco Bay five years ago.

Godzilla approaches the base, and Monarch throws up their defenses and weapons ready to shoot at Godzilla before Mark Russell tells them not to antagonize him and to drop their shields to show they mean no harm.

Monarch realizes Godzilla is heading to Antarctica and soon discovers the terrorists are heading to Antarctica as well to free a creature simply called Monster Zero at this point.

Their leader is a mysterious man named Jonah Alan (Charles Dance) an Ex-British Special Forces who grew to resent humanity after all the wars and environmental destruction its caused.

The terrorists lay an ambush for Monarch and kill most of the G-Team.

Mark Russell sneaks his way into the containment facility and tries to free his ex-wife and daughter, only to find Emma Russell as she detonates the ice herself and frees the monster.

Jonah, Emma, and Madison leave for their chopper. Once they’re at a safe distance in the sky, Emma activates the Orca and awakens Monster Zero.

The monster rampages for a bit until Godzilla emerges from the ocean and engages him.

It's a pretty even battle at the start, but Monster Zero gains the upper hand and knocks Godzilla into the ocean.

Monster Zero continues his rampage, even swooping down and eating Dr. Graham (in a scene reminiscent of the Skullcrawler/Bill Randa scene from Kong: Skull Island) before disappearing in a freak tropical storm.

After regrouping, Monarch is obviously bewildered by Emma's actions, and Monster Zero's sudden disappearance. Monarch realizes the next target is Mexico and ready themselves to head there when suddenly Emma Russell directly contacts them from Mexico herself, revealing she was working for the terrorist group the entire time. Cue her speech from the trailer.

With the freak tropical storm heading for Mexico, Monarch decides to evacuate the city, but before the evacuation is complete, Jonah orders Emma to use the Orca and wake up a new Titan called Rodan.

Rodan explodes from his containment chamber causing the volcano to erupt and begins laying waste to the city and people below.

It is here that Madison starts to reflect on the carnage going on around her and begins to doubt her mom’s intentions, but pushes her doubt in the back of her mind, hoping everything will be fine.

The storm begins to swamp over Mexico and Monarch realizes that Monster Zero wasn’t lost in the storm, but is causing the storm.

In a last ditch effort to save what's left of the populace, Monarch plans to lead Rodan away from the city with jets and engages him in a dogfight over the ocean.

Using a new Monarch helicarrier, Monarch leads Rodan into Monster Zero’s storm with hopes both Titans will kill each other.

The two have a very short, unfocused-on battle, ending with Monster Zero easily beating him.

Monster Zero then focuses his attention toward our main cast, charging up to kill them.

Godzilla suddenly emerges from the ocean just in the nick of time and engages Monster Zero in another battle, saving Monarch.

The dragon manages to gain the upper hand again, constricting Godzilla with his body and necks as they fight in the ocean, Ghidorah even lifts Godzilla up high above the stratosphere and drops Godzilla back to Earth.

Admiral William Stenz (David Strathairn) makes a guest appearance via monitor and claims things are getting out of hand, issuing the use of a new, experimental anti-Titan missile known as the De-Oxygenator. Dr. Serizawa pleads with him against the idea and says that humanity must “trust in Gojira,” but much like the first film, he’s overruled.

Godzilla, while still in the clutches of Monster Zero, manages to tear off one of the heads...

...but the military already fired the De-Oxygenator at the two anyway. When hit, Godzilla seemingly dies and sinks into the ocean, hundreds of fish float to the top of the water too in a very eerie scene, with Monster Zero surviving the missile unscathed.

Monster Zero flies over Rodan’s volcano, perches atop it, and begins drawing energy through its storm in a really amazing scene. It is here that Monster Zero completely regenerates his missing head. Rodan flies over to him and bows to his new king, becoming submissive.

Monster Zero then lets loose a bone-chilling roar and suddenly, all across the world, Titans everywhere begin awakening from their hibernation...

One in Germany, one from Mt. Fuji, and many, many others...

Cue Charles Dance’s line, “Long live the king.”

Monarch realizes through Dr. Chen’s reading of mythological texts that Monster Zero (now named Ghidorah) was a “demon who fell from the sky,” alluding to a possible alien origin. It is also revealed that our Godzilla and Ghidorah have history and fought in the past.

Shocked by Godzilla's death and the mayhem caused by the awakened Titans, Madison is fully convinced her mom and the terrorist organization are wrong.

With Godzilla seemingly dead and nothing standing in their way, Rodan, Ghidorah, and the rest of the Titans go on a rampage across the world, destroying various cities and leaving little in their path. Ghidorah even begins roosting in Washington, D.C.

Mothra emerges from her cocoon underneath the waterfall.

Mothra flies over the Castle Bravo facility in the ocean.

Mothra leads Monarch to Godzilla, who is revealed to still be alive, but just barely.

It is stated that Godzilla and Mothra’s species had regularly allied themselves together in ancient times and share a special connection to one another.

Mark Russell begins to develop a growing affinity for Godzilla and happily joins Monarch aboard a submarine to try and revive him. Monarch locates his resting place inside an ancient underwater city, feeding off radiation from the sea floor to stay alive.

In order to revive Godzilla fast, Monarch decides to hit him with a nuke, but due to technical difficulties, the nuke won’t launch, meaning someone must take it to Godzilla and manually detonate it. During a very emotional scene, Dr. Serizawa accepts that it HAS to be done and volunteers himself.

He dives down and drags the nuke up a flight of ancient steps and sets the nuke down in front of an injured Godzilla.

Dr. Serizawa sets the timer and places his hand on Godzilla’s snout, takes a deep breath and says “Goodbye, old friend” in Japanese, then the nuke explodes...

A supercharged Godzilla rises out of the water, bigger and stronger than ever, even sporting more traditional dorsal plates reminiscent to Godzilla's 1954 dorsal fins. The Godzilla March plays with Godzilla's name edited in as chants. Godzilla spots the Monarch team and looks Mark Russell in the eye, and they share a moment.

Godzilla is rejuvenated and eager to take on Ghidorah one last time… he then releases an ultra powerful blast of atomic breath into the sky, showing off his newfound power.

Turns out the eco-terrorists’ bunker was in Boston the entire time. Emma finally realizes King Ghidorah will destroy the Earth far worse than humans could ever do, but Jonah doesn’t care and ignores her pleas to turn back.

Madison overhears this and decides to take matters into her own hands, stealing the Orca and using it to lure Ghidorah to Boston so the other Titans can destroy him.

King Ghidorah gets to Boston first and the destruction begins, chasing Madison through Fenway Park trying to get the Orca.

Godzilla shows up with an entire entourage of jets to stop him.

Mothra shows up too and she and Godzilla go after Ghidorah together.

Rodan suddenly shows up too, intercepting Mothra, leading to a solo battle against him and Mothra while Godzilla and Ghidorah fight each other.

Rodan comes off as the stronger of the two, he goes in for the kill, talons ready to rip Mothra apart until she reveals a hidden stinger, stabbing Rodan through the chest and taking him out of the battle.

Monarch realizes that Godzilla is starting to expend too much energy and will go thermonuclear and explode, so everyone needs to get the hell out of dodge quick!

Even with Godzilla’s newly acquired atomic power-up, he’s still incapable of defeating Ghidorah, even though they're almost on equal grounds now. Ghidorah chomps down on some power lines and begins absorbing electrical energy, super-charging himself and easily beats Godzilla down again.

Mothra flies in before Ghidorah can deliver the killing blow, landing on Godzilla's downed body to protect him. She ultimately ends up sacrificing herself when Ghidorah strikes her down with his lightning as she flies at him.

Mothra’s body burns up, and her ashes rain over Godzilla's body, transferring her energy to him, increasing his power even moreso, now sporting a burning red “ember-like” aura around him.

The Russell family is brought together again.

Emma makes a noble sacrifice to use the Orca and drive Ghidorah’s attention towards her so her family and the Monarch team can escape via chopper.

During a car chase, Ghidorah strikes her car with lightning and launches her from her vehicle.

Dying and laying on the road, her last words are “Long live the king.”

Godzilla's back up and ready to finish it, unleashing a newly gained power, he disperses his swelling energy by burning everything around him.

Godzilla bombards Ghidorah with atomic pulse stomps that scorch and melt Ghidorah away in fiery explosions.

The killing blow is an implied stomp delivered to his chest.

Everything is in rubble, it seems Ghidorah is still alive when we see his head emerge from the smoke and debris, but it’s just a psych out, revealing that Godzilla has the severed neck dangling from his mouth. Godzilla fires his atomic breath through its throat and out its mouth, engulfing it in flames. Godzilla then chews up the scorched chunks of fried meat and swallows it.

The movie concludes with an injured Rodan approaching Godzilla as all the other Titans finally converge on Boston and begin to surround Godzilla too.

Instead of attacking, Rodan chooses to bow to him, followed by the rest of the Titans. The movie ends with Godzilla roaring into the sky with all of the Titans bowed down in front of him. Godzilla has now been crowned the King of the Monsters.

*Roll Credits*

We see news clippings over the credits claiming Godzilla to be the protector of humanity, while others state where the other awakened Titans are now residing, such as Rodan resting in Fiji and a Titan called the Scylla residing in a lake.

The post-credit scene consists of Jonah meeting up with a mysterious fisherman who sells him the decapitated head of Ghidorah that Godzilla severed in Mexico…

I will update this post with additional screenshots as WB releases more trailers, TV spots and clips.
Last edited by Benjamin Haines on Mon May 27, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri May 03, 2019 5:18 pm

COLLIDER MAY 3, 2019:
‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters’ Director Goes Deep on the Sequel in 30-Minute Press Conference
STEVE 'FROSTY' WEINTRAUB wrote:They talk about modernizing the mythology, Easter eggs, the three-hour version of the film, how they decided which monsters were included in the film, and much more.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun May 05, 2019 11:39 am

^ Highlights from that panel:

Josh from Singapore: “On the pacing of the film, how did you find the sweet spot for the tension-building, the action, the horror, the spectacle, and also social commentary?”

Michael Dougherty: “It’s hard. I mean, the movie really is created in the editing room and there’s a lot of material that ended up on the cutting room floor. There’s a cut that I like to call 'Godzilla: The Miniseries' because it was basically three hours. So there were much longer versions of the scenes that you saw, and as much as I would love to just bathe in the Godzilla universe for three hours, it dragged, so we had to find that right sweet spot, as you put it, and it took a very, very long time.”

Jean Baptiste from Paris: “What is your very first memory about Godzilla as a Japanese kid?”

Ken Watanabe: “I didn’t see the original - just, before I was born. I loved Mothra, yeah, and the two twins’ songs and the dancing, yeah it’s very beautiful... but I didn’t, I don’t like the, you know, Godzilla more than Gamera.”

Jerome: “Why was it so special for you to work on a Godzilla movie?”

Michael Dougherty: “It meant a lot to me because, I think I mentioned earlier in the introduction, was that I grew up watching these movies. When I was a kid, you know, 4 years old, 5 years old, I was a little half-Asian kid growing up in Ohio and I was made fun of a lot. To watch these amazing movies about giant monsters - and I already had the love of dinosaurs and animals and nature - that were made by other Asian people meant the world to me, you know. Because other than that, it was cowboys and cops & robbers and just your typical TV shows and movies growing up, and Godzilla sort of provided this weird security blanket because he was so strong, he was so powerful, but besides the fact that it was entertaining and fun, I was keenly aware even at that young age that there was a message underneath all of it, and I heard that, and that meant a lot. In the same way that Star Wars is really a movie about spirituality if you dissect it, Godzilla had this oddly subversive message to it. So that resonated and the fact that it was made by other Asian people just meant a lot and so I wanted to continue that. My first attempt at making a film - I think I was around 10 years old - was I took my family’s Betamax camcorder - yes I’m that old - and set it up and I took my pet tortoise, a box tortoise named Toni, and let her rampage through my Star Wars figures, and that was my first instinct was to make a Godzilla movie, and then I tried to do it again in college, I made a 2-minute Godzilla film, and so it’s just always been in the back of my head that I wanted to do that. I even remember when I was in college they were shooting Roland Emmerich’s movie in New York, and I was, like, a little bit jealous, a little bit angry that I wasn’t going to be able to do it, but here we are.”

Grae Drake of MovieFone asked about the scene in which
Spoiler Below:
Serizawa sacrifices himself to save Godzilla by detonating a nuke next to him. Ken Watanabe said that his answer was very complex and he wanted to say it in Japanese. Watanabe’s translator then provided his answer in English.

Ken Watanabe: “So that scene was a very complicated scene for me. I used a pocket watch which had great significance because the pocket watch was something that was in possession of Serizawa’s father from the Japanese war when they dropped the nuclear bomb. It’s significant because Godzilla was born from nuclear but now Serizawa is using nuclear to revive him and it was a very complicated feeling for Serizawa to revive Godzilla using nuclear and also keeping in mind that Godzilla is ultimately needed to restore balance and help humankind.”

Spoiler Below:
I'm curious to see how the western Godzilla fandom responds to that part of the new film's plot. I remember when G'14 came out and there were accusations that the movie was consciously "whitewashing" the real-life role of nuclear weapons in the character's creation, with some fans even arguing that the movie took an outright pro-nuclear angle. I never agreed with those criticisms but I think it's interesting that the sequel seems to be utilizing nuclear weaponry as a plot element in a way that's rather blatantly along the lines of those G'14 criticisms. Based on the plot descriptions, Godzilla: King of the Monsters has Godzilla severely weakened by an Oxygen Destroyer-type weapon until the character named Serizawa sacrifices his life using a nuclear bomb to save Godzilla and grant him newfound power. That's pretty much the opposite of what happens in the original 1954 film and while I don't have a problem with it, I'm curious to see if the fandom gets as hung up on that as G'14 or if King of the Monsters will get a pass on that just because it has a whole lot more monster brawling and atomic breath than G'14.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby emeGoji » Sun May 12, 2019 8:30 am

Well some moron spoiled a certain part of the film for me. :?

Spoiler Below:
Now I know why Burning Godzilla is in it. Maybe he’ll actually defeat Destroyah this time.
gmk0taku takuGuy Jack B revenge of gmk0taku
emeGoji
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue May 14, 2019 3:48 pm

The Wrap May 12, 2019:
‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters’ First Reactions Hail It as Best American Take to Date
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Legendary's MonsterVerse