GODZILLA vs. KONG (March 13, 2020)

This is the place to discuss Legendary Pictures' Godzilla film and upcoming sequels, as well as Kong: Skull Island and the upcoming Godzilla vs. Kong!! Let everyone know what you think and discuss your thoughts and ideas about the upcoming films!!!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: KING KONG VS GODZILLA 2 (2020!)

Postby Henry88 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:09 pm

spoiler Godzilla vs Kong Synopsis
Spoiler Below:
"In a time when monsters walk the Earth, humanity’s fight for its future sets Godzilla and Kong on a collision course that will see the two most powerful forces of nature on the planet collide in a spectacular battle for the ages. As Monarch embarks on a perilous mission into uncharted terrain and unearths clues to the Titans’ origins, a human conspiracy threatens to wipe the creatures, both good and bad, from the face of the earth forever."
https://screenrant.com/godzilla-2-ending-spoilers-godzilla-kong-synopsis/ it looks like they are trying to destroy all monsters
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong vs. Fast and Furious (2020!)

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:19 pm

The Wrap February 15, 2019:
‘Fast & Furious 9’ Moves Back a Month for Summer 2020 Faceoff With ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’
Thom Geier wrote:It’s the battle of the big-studio franchises! Universal announced on Friday that it had moved the release of the ninth “Fast & Furious” movie from April 10, 2020, to May 22, 2020.

That puts it smack up against Warner Bros.’ pricey monster mashup, “Godzilla vs. Kong,” as well as Paramount’s kiddie-skewing latest “The SpongeBob Movie.”

Justin Lin is attached to direct the ninth (and tenth) installment in the fast-moving franchise, with Jordana Brewster, a.k.a. Mia Toretto, also returning to the series opposite her onscreen brother (Vin Diesel). Mia was last seen in “Furious 7,” retiring from the family business to start a family with Brian O’Connor, played by the late Paul Walker.

The new “Furious” squares off against another pricey studio franchise: “Godzilla vs. Kong,” the fourth installment of the Legendary and Warner Bros. cinematic universe, which Adam Wingard will direct.

Demian Bichir, Alexander Skarsgard and Brian Tyree Henry have signed on to star in the new film, which follows this May’s “Godzilla: King of the Monsters,” with Kyle Chandler, Vera Farmiga and Millie Bobby Brown.

“Godzilla” brought in $529 million globally after it was released in 2014. “Kong: Skull Island” was released March 10, 2017, and grossed more than $565 million worldwide.

Meanwhile, the eight “Fast & Furious” films have collectively grossed more than $5 billion worldwide. “Hobbs & Shaw,” a spinoff film from director David Leitch starring series regulars Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham, drives into theaters on Aug. 2.

THR FEBRUARY 15, 2019:
Next James Bond Movie and 'Fast 9' Shift 2020 Release Dates
Aaron Couch wrote:MGM has moved its next James Bond film to April 8, 2020, from its previous date of Feb. 14, 2020. It now occupies territory that was once close to the next Fast and Furious installment, which until Friday had been set to open April 10, 2020.

In addition to MGM's Bond move, Universal pushed back the release date for its untitled ninth Fast and Furious movie to May 22, 2020, from its original April date. Universal is distributing the next James Bond film, so this appears to be a coordinated effort.

The Fast 9 move sets up a clash of titans: the film shifted a date already occupied by another tentpole, Warner Bros.' Godzilla vs. Kong crossover event film. Fast and Furious veteran Justin Lin returns to the family as director for the first time since helming 2013's Fast & Furious 6. The film will come one year after the Furious franchise unleashes its first spinoff, with the Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham film Hobbs & Shaw, opening this August.

Cary Fukunaga, who broke out as the season one director of HBO's True Detective, is helming the next James Bond film, which is expected to be Daniel Craig's final outing as 007.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: KING KONG VS GODZILLA 2 (2020!)

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:22 pm

This is bad news for Godzilla vs. Kong. While 2017's The Fate of the Furious was a pretty frontloaded, fans-only event in North America, it was still bigger than both G'14 and Skull Island. More importantly, F8 is the biggest-grossing Hollywood import ever in China ($392m) and that pushed it to a $1 billion international box office haul without even including North America. Godzilla vs. Kong has the potential to be the biggest hit of the Monsterverse but there's no reason to expect it not to get buried opening against the latest F&F sequel.

WB already has Wonder Woman 1984 set to open two weeks later on June 5, Paramount has a sequel to A Quiet Place opening a week earlier on May 15, and Disney & Marvel's Black Widow is likely to be what opens on May 1. I'd say the best bet would be to open Godzilla vs. Kong a month later on June 26 against Paramount's Top Gun sequel. WB would also have to move their music drama In the Heights away from that date but the "Untitled Fox/Marvel film" currently listed there probably won't exist. Godzilla vs. Kong opening on June 26, 2020 would provide three weeks of space between it and WW84, two weeks until Sony's Ghostbusters 3 and three weeks until WB opens Chris Nolan's next film.

Mr. Negativity, will you please update this thread's title in your original post? "King Kong vs. Godzilla 2" makes it sound like a sequel to the '62 flick.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: GODZILLA vs. KONG (March 13, 2020)

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:21 pm

The Wrap February 21, 2019:
‘Godzilla Vs. Kong’ Moves Up to March 2020
Jeremy Fuster wrote:As part of a series of release date shifts, Warner Bros. announced that Legendary Pictures’ “Godzilla Vs. Kong” has been moved up two months and will now be released on March 13, 2020.

The upcoming film is the culmination of Legendary’s MonsterVerse, which is combining the worlds of King Kong and Godzilla into a single universe. The series began in earnest in 2017 with “Kong: Skull Island,” and will continue this summer with “Godzilla: King of the Monsters” before the two finally clash next year.

Kong and Godzilla previously appeared together in the 1962 Japanese kaiju film “King Kong vs. Godzilla,” which was produced by Godzilla-owning studio Toho. The film became a massive hit and still stands as the top “Godzilla” film in terms of tickets sold in Japan.

Warner Bros. also announced the release date for “Space Jam 2,” which will star LeBron James with Terence Nance as director and Ryan Coogler as producer. The sequel to the 90s Looney Tunes basketball blockbuster will be released July 16, 2021.

Deadline February 21, 2019:
Warner Bros Dates ‘Space Jam 2’, Shifts ‘Annabelle’ Sequel & ‘Godzilla Vs. Kong’
Erik Pedersen wrote:Warner Bros set a release date for one sequel tonight and moved up a couple of its franchise pics.

The studio’s Space Jam 2 will hit the court on July 16, 2021, taking the slot that had been penciled in as Untitled WB Event Film. Meanwhile, the untitled Annabelle sequel was bumped up by a week from this year’s Fourth of July frame to June 28, while Godzilla vs. Kong moves up by nine weeks to March 13, 2020.

The latter two also will be shown in Imax, the studio said.

Space Jam 2 is the long-in-coming sequel to 1996’s Space Jam, the live-action/toon hybrid that starred Michael Jordan alongside a brace of fellow NBA All-Stars and Looney Tunes characters. This time led by LeBron James, the film for now has that weekend to itself — sandwiched between the opening weekends of the next Indiana Jones and Mission: Impossible pics.

The next creepshow from the Conjuring/Annabelle universe had been set to open against Sony’s Spider-Man: Far from Home during the Independence Day frame. Instead, it now will battle Paramount’s Limited Partners, Universal’s Yesterday, Fox’s Untitled James Mangold Drama and Entertainment Studios’ 47 Meters Down: Uncaged during the last weekend in June.

Godzilla vs. Kong had been set to launch against Universal’s Fast & Furious 9 and Paramount’s The SpongeBob Movie on May 22, 2020, but now will go up against Fox’s Gambit and an untitled Blumhouse/Universal pic in March next year. This marks the third release date for Warners’ battle of the superbeasts, which originally had been set for May 29, 2020, then moved was up by a week and now has settled on March 13, 2020.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:21 pm

Cool.

Cool cool cool.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:22 pm

mr.negativity wrote:Warner Bros. also announced the release date for “Space Jam 2,” which will star LeBron James with Terence Nance as director and Ryan Coogler as producer. The sequel to the 90s Looney Tunes basketball blockbuster will be released July 16, 2021.

I'm surprised it won't be out sooner. LeBron could film all his scenes this summer since the Lakers won't be making the playoffs. :P
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:00 am

My mentality had this all set for a summer release! Thank you "Fast & Furious" franchise. :x

In all seriousness, what it does mean is that this production will not have the luxury of extended time the way that G:KOTM did, and I think that this is the bigger movie, the one that ties up all loose ends. I do agree with what Benjamin stated earlier this week, that perhaps the movie should have been moved to June 26th, 2019.

Anyway, March it is. It is my birthday month anyway, so hopefully Legendary will give me a nice present to watch!
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby GFan » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:55 am

I'm all about seeing this movie sooner, bring it on!!!
GFan
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:13 am

^^ Not sure it will matter much. Godzilla: King of the Monsters has apparently been finished for a while, and the reason we haven't seen it yet is the WB wanted the movie for thr prime release date they had saved.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:42 pm

I think that a year before release is more than enough time. What will always haunt me is that Godzilla 1998, apparently did not have the time for test screenings and reshoots and thus, we got that final result. But, I trust these filmmakers much more than Emmerech.

March was pretty successful for "Kong: Skull Island" and I think it will be even more so for "G vs. K".
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:47 pm

H-Man wrote:
mr.negativity wrote:Warner Bros. also announced the release date for “Space Jam 2,” which will star LeBron James with Terence Nance as director and Ryan Coogler as producer. The sequel to the 90s Looney Tunes basketball blockbuster will be released July 16, 2021.

I'm surprised it won't be out sooner. LeBron could film all his scenes this summer since the Lakers won't be making the playoffs. :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: As a Warriors fan, I approve of this
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby KaiserGhidorah » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:33 pm

Glad they did this. For me, this makes up for the second delay they hit KOTM with.
KaiserGhidorah
Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:22 am

Gwangi wrote:My mentality had this all set for a summer release! Thank you "Fast & Furious" franchise. :x

In all seriousness, what it does mean is that this production will not have the luxury of extended time the way that G:KOTM did, and I think that this is the bigger movie, the one that ties up all loose ends. I do agree with what Benjamin stated earlier this week, that perhaps the movie should have been moved to June 26th, 2019.

Anyway, March it is. It is my birthday month anyway, so hopefully Legendary will give me a nice present to watch!

I was concerned about the movie having enough time to be finished properly, which is why I thought pushing it further ahead into the Summer would have been necessary. G:KotM began filming on June 19, 2017, and Mike Dougherty announced the conclusion of post-production on Twitter on November 16, 2018, four months ahead of the previous March release date and six months ahead of the current one.

Godzilla vs. Kong began filming on November 12, 2018. If it likewise took 17 months from the start of production to the end of post-production, it wouldn't be done until April 2020, which would have been fine if it was opening on Memorial Day weekend or later.

The film is now in a better position to be a box office event than it would have been at any point in the Summer. That Gambit movie is not happening and GvsK should be able to co-exist with Disney's live-action Mulan and Pixar's Onward just as Kong: Skull Island thrived alongside Beauty and the Beast and The Boss Baby. I just hope that to the extent WB picked the middle of March with box office prospects in mind, they understand that the quality of the final product is integral to those prospects. They have a good track record with the Monsterverse so I'm not too worried. If anything, I'm worried about movie critics looking for a bandwagon to explain why the third Godzilla entry is a huge disappointment and latching onto the slightly shorter timetable. Who can come up with the most clickbaity headline for why Godzilla vs. Kong is a rushed mess?
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:Who can come up with the most clickbaity headline for why Godzilla vs. Kong is a rushed mess?

"The FAT & THE FURRY-LESS. The rushed production schedule of 'Godzilla vs. Kong' results in a heart-breaking abyss of suckage."

How's that? :lol:
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:38 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/OMEGAGORMARU ... 9510524928

Per the new article in Total Film: Dougherty and his writing partner did a pass on the Godzilla vs. Kong script before production to make sure it continued smoothly in its themes and characters from Godzilla: King of the Monsters.

I dig that Legendary has such confidence in Dougherty to basically have him steer their franchise.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:22 pm

^ That goes all the way back to Legendary selecting Dougherty to run a writers room for the Monsterverse after the success of Krampus. Legendary certainly seems to be confident in what they're cooking up for the next two Godzilla movies!
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sun May 05, 2019 7:17 pm

Screen Rant:
Micheal Dougherty Explains Godzilla & Kong's Different Connections to Humanity
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue May 21, 2019 12:28 pm

Deadline May 20, 2019:
‘The Invisible Man’: Release Date Emerges For Blumhouse Redo
Patrick Hipes wrote:Universal has set a March 13, 2020 release date for The Invisible Man, the Blumhouse-produced take on the Uni monster franchise that will star Elisabeth Moss. Leigh Whannell is aboard to write and direct the pic, which now will begin production in Sydney in July.

The pic’s release date had been bookmarked for an Untitled Blumhouse Productions Project. It still is going head-to-head on the date with Warner Bros’ own monster mashup Godzilla vs. Kong.

The release date news Monday comes as Deadline just revealed Storm Reid will join Moss in the cast of the thriller. Johnny Depp had been involved with the project to star but that tie-up previously disappeared.

Details are also sketchy about the plot, but as part of Uni’s idea to open-source the classic characters to filmmakers inspired to create their own unique stories, there were no budget, genre or rating restriction.

The Invisible Man is being produced by Jason Blum for his Blumhouse Productions and Kylie du Fresne for Goalpost Pictures. The film is a co-production of Goalpost Pictures Australia and Blumhouse in association with Nervous Tick for Universal Pictures.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue May 28, 2019 11:47 am

Screen Rant:
Godzilla vs. Kong Writer Michael Dougherty Compares Fight to Rocky vs. Ivan Drago

BD May 27, 2019:
Michael Dougherty on How, and Why, King Kong Will Fight Godzilla [Interview]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Tue May 28, 2019 2:07 pm

In the initial film, Godzilla was slightly taller, and of course had his atomic breath. Kong was more intelligent and they gave him the *obligatory* Electric Powers to even the odds (a hold over from Frankenstein yes I know)...I have no problem if in the film they say he has tripled in size in the last 47 years, or even 2.5 times, it will be a good match. I just figure it will end in a draw, or they will team up to fight an even greater threat since they are both *Earth Defenders*. I also expect Kong to be given some heretofore unseen power. How believable it will be is up to all involved with the project.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:22 pm

O.Supreme wrote: How believable it will be is up to all involved with the project.

After KOTM, I'm not expecting anything remotely rooted in "reality" anymore.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby O.Supreme » Tue May 28, 2019 5:05 pm

Sorry poor choice of words. There is a difference between a concept you can smirk at , and have fun with, as opposed to telling yourself *That's just stupid*, I hope its the former rather than the latter.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu May 30, 2019 6:23 pm

COLLIDER MAY 30, 2019:
New Promo Posters for ‘Godzilla vs Kong’ and ‘Dune’ Tease the Titanic 2020 Title

THR JUNE 02, 2019:
How 'Godzilla: King of the Monsters' Sets Up a 'Kong' Showdown

The GWW March 5, 20190:
‘GODZILLA VS. KONG’ GOT REWRITES FROM MIKE DOUGHERTY & ZACH SHIELDS (‘GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS’)
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby gojira_fan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:15 am

gojira_fan
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:29 pm

On the one hand; I like that they still really want the movie to be a hit and they are not just going to drop it as the last film that they made under this license and just sort of let it be.

On the other hand; if there's nothing structurally wrong with the movie, reshoots can be a serious waste of resources that ends up only detracting from the final quality.

...Of course, on the other other hand; if the production extension is just to make sure the monster scenes are up to snuff, maybe happening during the daylight, and aren't interrupted constantly by human reaction shots the way they are in King of the Monsters that's good! If it's a change in presentation and editing because these two films were made to be very stylistically similar, then I'm all for a change.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Legendary's MonsterVerse