GODZILLA vs. KONG (March 13, 2020)

This is the place to discuss Legendary Pictures' Godzilla film and upcoming sequels, as well as Kong: Skull Island and the upcoming Godzilla vs. Kong!! Let everyone know what you think and discuss your thoughts and ideas about the upcoming films!!!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: KING KONG VS GODZILLA 2 (2020!)

Postby Gwangi » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:39 pm

mr.negativity wrote:Deadline:
Eiza Gonzalez Joins Adam Wingard’s ‘Godzilla Vs. Kong’

VARIETY:
Rebecca Hall to Star Opposite Millie Bobby Brown in ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’

Now I have no idea what happened, but it looks like Collider Video was perhaps going to discuss these new castings or talk about the WB remake of "Attack on Titan", when Toho blocked their video! (any Toho reference has now been removed, but earlier it stated "Video unavailable: This video contains content from Toho Co, Ltd, who has blocked it on copyright grounds").

Oh, Toho, Toho, Toho! :|
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:01 pm

Again, casting for the MonsterVerse movies is crazy good.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby gyaos » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:29 pm

lhb412 wrote:Again, casting for the MonsterVerse movies is crazy good.

Rebecca Hall always gives a good performance. Really surprised she signed on.
gyaos
Baby Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:05 pm

^ I thought the same thing about Juliette Binoche, and we saw how that played out :lol: :lol:
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:25 pm

^ To be fair: she was great in her two minutes of screen time.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:12 am

While we can argue all day about whether the Monsterverse films are using their talented casts properly, the talent being brought in on these movies gives me the warm and fuzzies.

Let it never be said that Legendary isn't TRYING.
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:29 pm

BUSINESS WIRE November 12, 2018:
Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Legendary Entertainment’s Monsterverse Shifts into Overdrive as Cameras Roll on the Next Big-Screen Adventure “Godzilla Vs. Kong”
BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Following the global success of 2014’s “Godzilla” and 2017’s “Kong: Skull Island,” and in the lead-up to the 2019 release of the highly anticipated “Godzilla: King of the Monsters,” comes the next chapter in Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Legendary Entertainment’s cinematic Monsterverse: “Godzilla vs. Kong.” Beginning production today, the epic action adventure will pit two of the greatest icons in motion picture history against one another – the fearsome Godzilla and the mighty Kong – with humanity caught in the balance.

“Godzilla vs. Kong” is being directed by Adam Wingard (“The Guest,” “You’re Next”). The film stars Alexander Skarsgård (“Big Little Lies,” “The Little Drummer Girl”), Millie Bobby Brown (“Stranger Things”), Rebecca Hall (“Christine,” “Professor Marston and the Wonder Women”), Brian Tyree Henry (“Atlanta,” “Widows”), Shun Oguri (“Gintama”), Eiza González (“Baby Driver”), Jessica Henwick (“Iron Fist”), Julian Dennison (“Deadpool 2”), with Kyle Chandler (“The Wolf of Wall Street,” “Manchester by the Sea”) and Demián Bichir (“The Nun,” “The Hateful Eight”).

Spoiler Below:
In a time when monsters walk the Earth, humanity’s fight for its future sets Godzilla and Kong on a collision course that will see the two most powerful forces of nature on the planet collide in a spectacular battle for the ages. As Monarch embarks on a perilous mission into uncharted terrain and unearths clues to the Titans’ origins, a human conspiracy threatens to wipe the creatures, both good and bad, from the face of the earth forever.

Wingard directs from a script written by Terry Rossio (“Pirates of the Caribbean”). The film is being produced by Mary Parent, Alex Garcia, Eric McLeod, and Brian Rogers, with Kenji Okuhira, Yoshimitsu Banno, Jon Jashni and Thomas Tull serving as executive producers. Jay Ashenfelter, Jen Conroy and Tamara Kent are co-producers.

Behind the scenes, Wingard’s creative team includes director of photography Ben Seresin (“World War Z,” “Unstoppable”), production designers Owen Patterson (“Godzilla,” “The Matrix” Trilogy and “Captain America: Civil War”) and Tom Hammock (“The Guest,” “Blindspotting”), editor Josh Schaeffer (“Molly’s Game,” “Kong: Skull Island”), costume designer Ann Foley (“Altered Carbon”), and VFX supervisor John “DJ” DesJardin (“Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” “Watchmen”).

Filming is taking place in Hawaii and Australia. A presentation of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Entertainment, “Godzilla vs. Kong” is currently scheduled for release on May 22, 2020. The film will be distributed in 3D and 2D and in select IMAX theaters by Warner Bros. Pictures, except in Japan, where it will be distributed by Toho Co., Ltd.

Contacts
For media enquiries:
Warner Bros. Pictures, Domestic
Chris Nutley
(818) 954-6626
Chris.Nutley@warnerbros.com
or
Warner Bros. Pictures, International
Aviz Hakhamanesh
(818) 954-3397
Aviz.Hakhamanesh@warnerbros.com
or
Legendary Entertainment
Brie Dorsey
(818) 940-2105
BDorsey@legendary.com
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:34 pm

^ WOOHOOO! Filming starts! (Several false alarms this month saying filming had started)

Spoiler Below:
I love that there's other stuff going on, because with Godzilla and Kong being cast as variations on guardian protectors in the films so far just having them fight for the hell of it wouldn't have made much sense in regards to a story.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:35 pm

If that is the complete list of the main cast, I'm fine with that, as we do not need a large ensemble as both Godzilla and Kong will be the main stars. Interestingly, there is no Ken Watanabe or Sally Hawkins. Can we conclude that both of their endings will come in GKOTM?
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby KaiserGhidorah » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:28 pm

Gwangi wrote:If that is the complete list of the main cast, I'm fine with that, as we do not need a large ensemble as both Godzilla and Kong will be the main stars. Interestingly, there is no Ken Watanabe or Sally Hawkins. Can we conclude that both of their endings will come in GKOTM?

Yeah, they're done after GKOTM.
KaiserGhidorah
Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:51 am

Deadline November 14, 2018:
‘FRINGE’ Actor Lance Reddick Cast In ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’

IMDB:
Lance Reddick, Uncredited in 1998’s ‘Godzilla’, Joins Cast of ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:59 am

^ I like that guy! Where is he in Godzilla '98?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:21 pm

^ /film:
Lance Reddick, Uncredited in 1998’s ‘Godzilla’, Joins Cast of ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’
Ben Pearson wrote:According to IMDb, The Wire and Fringe actor Lance Reddick appeared as “Soldier on Manhattan Bridge” in Roland Emmerich’s 1998 box office bomb Godzilla.

Now, 20 years later, he might come face to face with the giant lizard once more – Reddick is the latest actor to join the ensemble cast of Warner Bros. and Legendary’s Godzilla vs. Kong.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:59 am

Soldier on Bridge is my favorite soldier.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby mrbluehair » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:06 pm

You got that right Jelly, he was the only reason to watch GINO. The best credit you can get for that movie is no credit.
You must show no mercy, nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you... for your greatness will silence them all!
mrbluehair
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:26 pm

First on set photos of Skarsgard and Eiza Gonzalez are already out. They are moving fast with this! The article implies that perhaps these two are on Skull Island looking for Kong. If so, I hope that they brought along enough Soma! :mrgreen:

https://movieweb.com/godzilla-vs-kong-alexander-skarsgard-set-photos/
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:00 pm

mr.negativity wrote:BUSINESS WIRE November 12, 2018:
Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Legendary Entertainment’s Monsterverse Shifts into Overdrive as Cameras Roll on the Next Big-Screen Adventure “Godzilla Vs. Kong”
“Godzilla vs. Kong” is being directed by Adam Wingard (“The Guest,” “You’re Next”). The film stars Alexander Skarsgård (“Big Little Lies,” “The Little Drummer Girl”), Millie Bobby Brown (“Stranger Things”), Rebecca Hall (“Christine,” “Professor Marston and the Wonder Women”), Brian Tyree Henry (“Atlanta,” “Widows”), Shun Oguri (“Gintama”), Eiza González (“Baby Driver”), Jessica Henwick (“Iron Fist”), Julian Dennison (“Deadpool 2”), with Kyle Chandler (“The Wolf of Wall Street,” “Manchester by the Sea”) and Demián Bichir (“The Nun,” “The Hateful Eight”).

Another solid cast for the Monsterverse. Jessica Henwick was terrific as Colleen Wing in Iron Fist. It sucks that Netflix cancelled the series but if that's what freed up Henwick to be cast in Godzilla vs. Kong then at least that's a silver lining.

That reported cast does seem to have some implications for what happens in Godzilla: King of the Monsters.....
Spoiler Below:
We know that Millie Bobby Brown's character is the daughter of Vera Farmiga and Kyle Chandler's characters, but while Brown and Chandler are listed in the Godzilla vs. Kong cast, Farmiga is not. That implies that her character doesn't make it out of G:KotM alive and that does line up with the purported plot description that was posted more than a week before the first trailer dropped.

Interestingly, Millie Bobby Brown is the top-billed member of the cast in G:KotM but it looks like GvsK is bumping her down to second billing while Alexander Skarsgard has the lead role.

Mr. Negativity, will you please update this thread's title to match the film's official title?

Gwangi wrote:First on set photos of Skarsgard and Eiza Gonzalez are already out. They are moving fast with this! The article implies that perhaps these two are on Skull Island looking for Kong. If so, I hope that they brought along enough Soma! :mrgreen:

https://movieweb.com/godzilla-vs-kong-alexander-skarsgard-set-photos/

Skarsgard and Gonzalez appear to be wearing Monarch tactical uniforms and Skarsgard's character seems to be punching another Monarch trooper.

Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:52 pm

That may be just tactical gear for going to Skull Island, but naturally my first thought is the inevitable turn from Monarch being a somewhat realistic organization (at least visually) to being an Ultraman style defense team ala the Heisei and Millenium movies.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Just as the Godzilla 94 comic is released and Godzilla vs Kong starts shooting screenwriter Terry Rossio had to go and say something very, very stupid -

‘Shrek’ and ‘Aladdin’ Screenwriter Says ‘Anti-Vax’ Is Equivalent to the N-Word
Terry Rossio, the screenwriter best known for “Shrek,” “Aladdin,” and “Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl,” has some thoughts about vaccines. Responding to a tweet by “The 100” writer Julie Benson, he lamented the plight of parents whose children have been “vaccine damaged” and compared the term “anti-vax” to the n-word. The response has not been favorable.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:39 pm

^It's such an egregiously stupid, career ending statement. I hope his script is okay, but if the series continues I hope he isn't hired for more.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:00 pm

As long as that stupidity isn't in his scripts, I kind of don't care. That's not necessarily a stance I think should blacklist him. I don't agree with what he said at all, but I also don't think it is bad enough that it should negate him from getting work.

Edit: Mulling it over a bit, the anti-vaxx stance is dumb but whatever. The use of the N-word, is a bit harder to excuse and I can understand how it could make job hunting a tad difficult for him for awhile.
Last edited by XvGojira on Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:18 pm

^ All I can say is that I wouldn't hire him if I was the person in charge in the scenario... unless he'd done a bang up job of apologizing and convincing me he had his **** together. Even then, there would always be the nagging sense he may flip out again and it would reflect badly on me, the guy who'd hired him.

KnowwhatImean?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:06 pm

I'm with lhb. Also worth noting is that Rossio didn't actually censor the N-word in his original tweet, in case the quote from IndieWire misleads you. The only good news for Rossio is that certain portions of Hollywood are apathetic toward such transgressions. He could, in theory, still get hired to work on the new RED SONJA.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:38 pm

I'd say let's cancel GvK and bring back Gareth Edwards for his DAM-2020, but i have a feeling KotM rushed that possibility out of narrative existence
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:19 pm

I'd love to see a new DAM, however, the future of the Monsterverse rests on these next 2 films. If they do amazing financially we'll get more. If they do poorly, or just "average", this will be it.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Legendary's MonsterVerse