GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

This is the place to discuss Legendary Pictures' Godzilla film and upcoming sequels, as well as Kong: Skull Island and the upcoming Godzilla vs. Kong!! Let everyone know what you think and discuss your thoughts and ideas about the upcoming films!!!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Tue May 28, 2019 9:41 pm

Hey Jelly, is there an aerial battle in this movie? By that, I mean involving ALL the flier and excludes Godzilla. The trailer obviously shows Rodan and Ghidorah in an aerial combat, but I also like to see Mothra thrown into the mix too. I mean, 3 or the 4 monsters in this can fly. Would be a shame not to have them fight in the skies.
Image
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:09 pm

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby msweets13 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:37 pm

Sitting at 56% on Rotten Tomatoes which is a bit of a bummer, but also a bit early to call. Looks like overall critical consensus is beautiful monster fights, but subpar human plot.
User avatar
msweets13
Godzilla Jr.
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:42 am
Location: Fayetteville, AR

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby gyaos » Tue May 28, 2019 10:48 pm

msweets13 wrote:Sitting at 56% on Rotten Tomatoes which is a bit of a bummer, but also a bit early to call. Looks like overall critical consensus is beautiful monster fights, but subpar human plot.


56% is actually much better than it was early on, lol. The interesting thing is that some critics who liked G14 and KSI absolutely despise KOTM.

A Fresh rating is pretty much essential to a film being successful. Aquaman and Aladdin are rare exceptions.

I haven't read the complete plot synopsis yet, but it seems the story is the biggest problem. This also bodes ill for Kong vs Godzilla, and I"ve read some rumors for that and the story is ridiculous.

Looks like we can forget any monsterverse after Kong vs Godzilla
gyaos
Baby Godzilla
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:54 pm

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby angilas » Wed May 29, 2019 1:08 am

^the good news is that the Japanese seem to love it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comm ... ng_of_the/

https://jp.ign.com/m/godzilla-2/35733/review/

I imagine once the real and verified fans begin reviewing, there will be a huge discrepancy with critics on rotten tomatoes.
User avatar
angilas
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:59 am

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby Gargantuan Gargantua » Wed May 29, 2019 5:45 am

Non fans are not liking a Godzilla movie? Color me shocked.

It is funny how badly people want Godzilla to be socially accepted by others to validate their hobby. I yapped on Reddit a while ago that all the early reviews we got were from typical eager "nerd bloggers" and shouldn't use that as a gauge if "real critics" were going to like the movie or not. I feel these vloggers and bloggers get too caught up in the moment that they are seeing something before everybody else.

I say who cares. I liked Alita, half the critics didn't. Who gives a turkey. We get a sequel anyways! And if for some strange reason KoTM makes $700 million + we will probably getting more sequels!
User avatar
Gargantuan Gargantua
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:17 pm
Location: New Hampsha

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed May 29, 2019 8:33 am

^ What he said.




I'm glad that Japanese fans seem to dig it.

This is what Google translate came up with for IGN Japan's verdict: "Godzilla: King of the Monsters will pass in 2 hours and 11 minutes in a matter of minutes, due to the excellent human drama where the best monster battle and various thoughts cross. If you close your eyes on the occasional glimpse of convenience and over-taking metaphor scenes, thrilling and most enjoyable experiences should be waiting for you."


angilas wrote:I imagine once the real and verified fans begin reviewing, there will be a huge discrepancy with critics on rotten tomatoes.


Even with only 49 reviews tabulated on Rotten Tomatoes so far, King of the Monsters isn't scoring that much lower than Godzilla, which has an average rating of 6.64 out of 10 based on 314 critic reviews. KotM's average rating is currently 5.59 out of 10.

The wider discrepancy in the "tomatometer" makes sense because that's just the percentage of critics that liked the movie overall. G'14 was aiming to be a general audience thriller while KotM is shooting for fan-service action and betting that general audiences will go along for the ride. Of course a sequel like that is going to be less pleasing to film critics but it's likely to be more pleasing to Godzilla fans. I'm very curious to see how general audiences respond.


gyaos wrote:A Fresh rating is pretty much essential to a film being successful. Aquaman and Aladdin are rare exceptions.


And The Meg, and Venom, and Glass, and The Nun, and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, and those are just over the past year. A "fresh tomatometer" isn't essential to squat.
Image
User avatar
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 5305
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:13 am

TerranigmaFreak wrote:Hey Jelly, is there an aerial battle in this movie?

Basically no.
gyaos wrote:Looks like we can forget any monsterverse after Kong vs Godzilla

Yeah, you could have forgotten that like 3 years ago.

Gargantuan Gargantua wrote:Non fans are not liking a Godzilla movie? Color me shocked.

It is funny how badly people want Godzilla to be socially accepted by others to validate their hobby. I yapped on Reddit a while ago that all the early reviews we got were from typical eager "nerd bloggers" and shouldn't use that as a gauge if "real critics" were going to like the movie or not. I feel these vloggers and bloggers get too caught up in the moment that they are seeing something before everybody else.

I say who cares. I liked Alita, half the critics didn't. Who gives a turkey. We get a sequel anyways! And if for some strange reason KoTM makes $700 million + we will probably getting more sequels!
Pretty well-said.

I just think it's also important to point out that the past 2 Godzilla movies were both fairly well-received by critics, as was Skull Island, so it's not like people don't want to like a Godzilla movie or anything like that.

Benjamin Haines wrote:Even with only 49 reviews tabulated on Rotten Tomatoes so far, King of the Monsters isn't scoring that much lower than Godzilla, which has an average rating of 6.64 out of 10 based on 314 critic reviews. KotM's average rating is currently 5.59 out of 10.

0.65 points is a CHASM at this point. For KOTM to get to 6.64 on 314 reviews, it would have to get 6.9 on its remaining 265 reviews. That's not happening.

It's not being as well-received as the 2014 film because, newsflash (coming from someone who LIKED it) it's not as much of a "GOOD MOVIE"
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18859
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby gyaos » Wed May 29, 2019 11:56 am

Down to 50% on RT now.
gyaos
Baby Godzilla
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:54 pm

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed May 29, 2019 12:17 pm

It's amusing to peruse sites like Toho Kingdom and Reddit and see Godzilla fans freaking out about the critic reviews. :lol:


jellydonut25 wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:Even with only 49 reviews tabulated on Rotten Tomatoes so far, King of the Monsters isn't scoring that much lower than Godzilla, which has an average rating of 6.64 out of 10 based on 314 critic reviews. KotM's average rating is currently 5.59 out of 10.

0.65 points is a CHASM at this point. For KOTM to get to 6.64 on 314 reviews, it would have to get 6.9 on its remaining 265 reviews. That's not happening.


Oh I'm not expecting KotM's average rating to catch up to that of G'14. I just think it's worth noting that while there's currently a gulf of more than 20 percentage points between their "Tomatometer" ratings, KotM's average critic rating out of 10 is currently (as of this typing) just 1.07 points lower than that of G'14.
Image
User avatar
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 5305
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed May 29, 2019 12:36 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:Oh I'm not expecting KotM's average rating to catch up to that of G'14. I just think it's worth noting that while there's currently a gulf of more than 20 percentage points between their "Tomatometer" ratings, KotM's average critic rating out of 10 is currently (as of this typing) just 1.07 points lower than that of G'14.

1.07 points across like, however many reviews is a pretty sizable gap especially when you're teetering in that good/bad range to begin with. It more than explains the 50-some percent (it's been all over the place. 50, 55, 58, 53) rating.

If I personally am saying "Hey, this is a 6/10, while this is a 5/10" that's kind of a big difference, for me in the way I gauge things and rank them. 6/10 (or 3/5) would be good enough to want to see again, even if just on cable or whatever. 5/10 (or 2.5/5) would be like "Eh. I saw it once. Don't need to anymore. Or even really that first time."
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18859
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby gyaos » Wed May 29, 2019 12:39 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:It's amusing to peruse sites like Toho Kingdom and Reddit and see Godzilla fans freaking out about the critic reviews. :lol:


jellydonut25 wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:Even with only 49 reviews tabulated on Rotten Tomatoes so far, King of the Monsters isn't scoring that much lower than Godzilla, which has an average rating of 6.64 out of 10 based on 314 critic reviews. KotM's average rating is currently 5.59 out of 10.

0.65 points is a CHASM at this point. For KOTM to get to 6.64 on 314 reviews, it would have to get 6.9 on its remaining 265 reviews. That's not happening.


Oh I'm not expecting KotM's average rating to catch up to that of G'14. I just think it's worth noting that while there's currently a gulf of more than 20 percentage points between their "Tomatometer" ratings, KotM's average critic rating out of 10 is currently (as of this typing) just 1.07 points lower than that of G'14.


LOL, that's a really big gap!
gyaos
Baby Godzilla
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:54 pm

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby Gojira-2000 » Wed May 29, 2019 12:46 pm

New Michael Dougherty interview:

phpBB [media]
User avatar
Gojira-2000
Godzilla Jr.
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:44 pm

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby Henry88 » Wed May 29, 2019 1:33 pm

who gives a turkey what the critics think they don't know what they're talking about 99% of the time anyway and odds are it will do fine at the box office and as a fan I highly look forward to seeing this one in the theater.
User avatar
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7067
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:06 pm
Location: Heflin,AL

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby william newell » Wed May 29, 2019 1:44 pm

While I have yet to see the film, like many here, based on the trailers and Jelly's statement, I can't help but wonder, what's the deal with every western Godzilla movie taking place in the rain/dark? It can't be because of the old "to hide the flaws in the effects" excuse. Skull Island and Dragon Wars(and others)have proved that full on daylight scenes are indeed possible and can look great. What's especially baffling was that this was one of the big complaints with GINO... and yet, here we are, still facing the same old, same old. As to the early reviews, if this is indeed worse than G14, that's a sad statement indeed. While Edwards Godzilla did have some very pretty effects, take those out of the equation, and you've got a pretty bad film. Not much better than GINO, in my opinion. The gaps in logic, the lackluster acting. Poor to terrible direction, this was anything but a good film. And to say KotM is worse? I'll just say, I'll be going in with VERY low expectations
william newell
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1594
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:29 pm
Location: Hamilton, New Jersey

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:42 pm

william newell wrote:Poor to terrible direction

:?:

Henry88 wrote:who gives a turkey what the critics think they don't know what they're talking about 99% of the time anyway and odds are it will do fine at the box office and as a fan I highly look forward to seeing this one in the theater.
This kind of dismissal is reductive and not constructive at all. A critic's job isn't to tell you what you want to hear. It's to outline their thoughts and feelings in a lucid, intelligent way, to give you an idea of what to expect. Everyone dismisses critics ENTIRELY when they don't just re-affirm their preexisting notions. Get over it already.

I LIKED the movie. A LOT. But it's got some massive flaws and just shouting that it's perfect and critics are dummies isn't constructive discussion.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18859
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby Henry88 » Wed May 29, 2019 4:26 pm

User avatar
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7067
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:06 pm
Location: Heflin,AL

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby gfan1984 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:33 pm

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow, you're only a day away!!!!

My whole family is supporting this movie, even my wife who doesn't like the Godzilla movies is actually excited yo see this.
User avatar
gfan1984
Little Godzilla
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:15 am

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby gyaos » Wed May 29, 2019 6:40 pm

I remember posting a while ago about a guy who had seen an early screening and thought it had huge problems and it turns out he was right.

Unfortunately, you just cannot fix a bad story, which is what KOTM seems to have.
gyaos
Baby Godzilla
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:54 pm

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby Gargantuan Gargantua » Wed May 29, 2019 6:58 pm

It could always be worse.

Image
User avatar
Gargantuan Gargantua
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:17 pm
Location: New Hampsha

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby O.Supreme » Wed May 29, 2019 8:34 pm

gyaos wrote:I remember posting a while ago about a guy who had seen an early screening and thought it had huge problems and it turns out he was right.

Unfortunately, you just cannot fix a bad story, which is what KOTM seems to have.


One *guys* opinion, or even a critics opinion does not make someone right or wrong
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3301
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed May 29, 2019 8:39 pm

Critics aren't so different from regular viewers. They're probably twiddling on their phones through a movie as often as general audiences are.

Anyone here who wants a take on Godzilla: King of the Monsters from folks who have actually watched it should check out jellydonut25's review from earlier in this thread and Dai's review in the spoiler thread (he hid the spoilers in his post so it's safe). If you're browsing this board then you'll find their reviews a better primer for what to expect than the reviews on various entertainment websites and news outlets.


Henry88 wrote: https://deadline.com/2019/05/godzilla-k ... 202623781/
230 million + is a nice start


That reported $170 million production budget is more than Godzilla's $160m but less than Kong: Skull Island's $185m. That bodes well for G:KotM's profit prospects. G'14 grossed $529m worldwide and K:SI topped $566m. G:KotM only needs to hit the $510m worldwide mark to gross 3x its budget.
Image
User avatar
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 5305
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:14 pm

gyaos wrote:I remember posting a while ago about a guy who had seen an early screening and thought it had huge problems and it turns out he was right.

Unfortunately, you just cannot fix a bad story, which is what KOTM seems to have.

You've been pretty convinced this whole time that the movie is bad, so I'm not really sure why I'm bothering here, but the doom-and-gloom of a bad RT score is kinda laughable.

The movie definitely isn't without its flaws...some of them are HUGE flaws at that, but it's not like it's this irredeemable pile of garbage.

Then again I like GFW and this movie reminded me of it in parts, so...some men just want to watch the world burn.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18859
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby Russzilla » Thu May 30, 2019 12:57 am

Just wondering out loud if anyone thinks the five year gap between Godzilla 2014 and KOTM will have a negative impact on how much it will make in it’s release?
User avatar
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: London, KY via Boston/Philadelphia

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby mrbluehair » Thu May 30, 2019 3:48 am

gyaos wrote:Down to 50% on RT now.


Just a question...were you the same gayos that was recently banned from TK because you constantly drone on about how bad the Monsterverse is/will be? I only ask because you seem to have the same splendid outlook as that gayos. Similarities are uncanny....
You must show no mercy, nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you... for your greatness will silence them all!
User avatar
mrbluehair
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1376
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: California

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby Gargantuan Gargantua » Thu May 30, 2019 8:17 am

gyaos' bizarre bias against this movie has raged on for over a year. The name has been registered here forever but has a low post count. To me it is a smurf account for someone who doesn't want to come forward and be honest about why he hates the movie.

How many times did we have people with bad engrish who had the inside scoop on upcoming Godzilla movies do their damnedest to get people to hate the movie. To me it just comes across as that.

Not to derail the thread. All I am going to say about that.

Also, FInal Wars I don't care for but I feel all the baby Godzilla stuff with literally Kitamura pissing on the fans. Just my two cents.
User avatar
Gargantuan Gargantua
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:17 pm
Location: New Hampsha

PreviousNext

Return to Legendary's MonsterVerse

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron