GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

This is the place to discuss Legendary Pictures' Godzilla film and upcoming sequels, as well as Kong: Skull Island and the upcoming Godzilla vs. Kong!! Let everyone know what you think and discuss your thoughts and ideas about the upcoming films!!!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLE

Postby Henry88 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Well at least the legendary Godzilla can at least fight and as the personality of a Clint Eastwood rather than a wood stump.
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:39 am

GFan wrote:Yeah, it definitely comes nowhere near the original BOC version. I would have much preferred they just use the original, but the cover isn't terrible. The fact that we're getting the song in GKotM (in any form) makes me absolutely giddy with joy.

I seriously hope it plays when the end credits roll... I don't care how cheesy and 90's that would be. :mrgreen:

The cover song will definitely play during the end credits. It may not be right when the credits start rolling but there have been post-'90s movies that have played songs like that over their end credits. Iron Man had the Black Sabbath song and Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle played the Guns 'n Roses song.

I think the best version of Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla" is from their Extraterrestrial Live album. Buck Dharma's guitar work really shines in their live recordings.

phpBB [media]

lhb412 wrote:I'm not even sure I like System of a Down's songs, I just enjoy Serj's strange voice. I like strange voices.

I really like Serj's first solo album but to me they've each gotten less and less impressive. There's just nothing like the quartet of Serj Tankian, Daron Malakian, Shavo Odadjian and John Dolmayan. System of a Down's music is a one-of-a-kind concoction and they haven't made an album together since 2005! Meanwhile Daron and John did one album as Scars On Broadway which basically sounded like SOAD but with Daron doing all of the singing. Then they disbanded that until Daron suddenly released a new Scars On Broadway album last year which he apparently wrote and recorded all on his own back in 2012. He had been saving it to possibly turn it into new SOAD music until he just got tired of waiting and released it under Scars On Broadway. It really seems like Serj just wants to have SOAD do nothing but tour and play their existing catalog in concert going forward while he focuses his creative energy on composing for film and video game soundtracks, because he also hasn't made a solo album in six years. The world needs more System of a Down music!
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:56 pm

gfan1984 wrote:Legendary's Godzilla 2019 is now Offically confirmed as being TALLER than Toho's Shin Godzilla....by 0.5 meters! :lol: Man these two studio really love to measure their...Godzilla sizes haha.

They changed its height? I thought it was the same size as before?

Henry88 wrote:Well at least the legendary Godzilla can at least fight and as the personality of a Clint Eastwood rather than a wood stump.

Shin Godzilla moves like a wood stump too.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby william newell » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:10 am

TerranigmaFreak wrote:
gfan1984 wrote:Legendary's Godzilla 2019 is now Offically confirmed as being TALLER than Toho's Shin Godzilla....by 0.5 meters! :lol: Man these two studio really love to measure their...Godzilla sizes haha.

Henry88 wrote:Well at least the legendary Godzilla can at least fight and as the personality of a Clint Eastwood rather than a wood stump.

Shin Godzilla moves like a wood stump too.

Too bad Shin was such a better movie... :P
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:23 am

TerranigmaFreak wrote:

He's a growing boy :wink: .

2014= 108M (355 ft)
2019= 118M (390ft)

Although he is supposedly *thousands* of years old (even if in hibernation for most of it), and his species has been around for millions of years.

Kong on the other hand, -we don't know exactly how old he is, but he was *growing* (probably like a teenager) during 1973's Skull Island. (I'd like to know how big he was supposedly in WWII for comparison sake...) But he is said to have been 31.7 M (or roughly 104 ft) So, he would literally have to Triple his size/mass in 47 years to be formidable to Godzilla.

Just by rough comparison. If Kong DOUBLES in size, he would be about the size of the male MUTO as seen in the 2014 Godzilla film, if he TRIPLES in size, he would be about the same size as the female MUTO. THIS is the only way I could see it possibly working. Both MUTOS combined weren't much of a match for Godzilla, but I know Kong is immensely strong, at the same size as the Female MUTO, he would prove quite formidable against Godzilla, but any smaller, and it becomes less and less convincing of a formidable fight.

But which is more difficult a concept to suspend our belief against?....That Kong literally tripled in Size in 47 years, or that a midget Kong could actually stand a chance against Godzilla? :?

I'm 6ft 1, (1.85 M) and pretty hefty (OK I'm fat)...now before someone says that a 4 or 5 year old with martial arts training *could* potentially beat me up (I'll give them the benefit of the doubt), I'll say, give me a flamethrower as well and lets see what happens 8) . But now I look at my son who is only 13, and is only 5 inches shorter than I am. If he had been trained in any fighting technique, I'd be scared. It's nice that he's at an age now where we can *play fight* and he can almost hold is own. I'm quite impressed.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:19 pm

william newell wrote:Too bad Shin was such a better movie... :P

disagree
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby william newell » Wed May 01, 2019 2:54 am

jellydonut25 wrote:

disagree

I'd be disappointed if you didn't... :lol:
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu May 09, 2019 2:20 pm

THR 5/9/2019:
Box Office: 'Godzilla' Tracking for $50M Debut, 'Rocketman' to Blast Off With $25M
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Thu May 09, 2019 2:50 pm

Just curious (because I haven't been to the theater yet)....Did anyone get a Godzilla KOTM trailer with Endgame? - Not that it translates directly, but that still is a lot of people's potential interest gained (or not).... but still its at least out there.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gargantuan Gargantua » Thu May 09, 2019 2:56 pm

I'm still waiting for my stupid IMax to put tickets up.
Gargantuan Gargantua
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:08 pm

Godzilla bursting out of the famous Cinerama Dome!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mike_Dougher ... 4086425600
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu May 09, 2019 10:43 pm

O.Supreme wrote:Just curious (because I haven't been to the theater yet)....Did anyone get a Godzilla KOTM trailer with Endgame? - Not that it translates directly, but that still is a lot of people's potential interest gained (or not).... but still its at least out there.

Yes, it was the 'Over the Rainbow' trailer.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby gfan1984 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:04 am

mr.negativity wrote:THR 5/9/2019:
Box Office: 'Godzilla' Tracking for $50M Debut, 'Rocketman' to Blast Off With $25M

I just saw...however many box office junkies are jumping the gun and saying it doesn't look like good numbers. Also they stated that two other releases are coming as well, Rocket Man, and Ma. So there's Godzilla's direct competition...I can't tell if that's bad or good.
gfan1984
Little Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri May 10, 2019 10:11 am

Has anyone heard any news about early screenings? WB (and other studios) have been doing this more and more, and KotM would probably be one of the few cases I would spring a little extra $$ to see an advance screening of if it made itself available.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gargantuan Gargantua » Fri May 10, 2019 2:47 pm

Natick, MA IMax just posted 7 PM showings for Thursday May 30th.
Gargantuan Gargantua
Heisei Godzilla

Postby GFan » Fri May 10, 2019 5:47 pm

I just bought tickets a 4:00PM screening on the 30th! Couldn't be more pumped. We're in the home stretch, now!
GFan
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:45 pm

The social media embargo has apparently lifted and critics who have seen the film already are posting their thoughts... and they seem universally positive!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mrbluehair » Sat May 11, 2019 1:36 am

You must show no mercy, nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you... for your greatness will silence them all!
mrbluehair
Heisei Godzilla

Postby msweets13 » Sat May 11, 2019 11:12 am

That's so awesome! Man, up to now I've just been looking forward to the movie. Now the hype train is leaving the station! Hopefully with such positive word of mouth (if it remains so positive anyway) will propel it to be a surprise success and not just a medium/lukewarm opening.
msweets13
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Gwangi » Sat May 11, 2019 5:04 pm

Was saving a birthday gift card since March. Though it was expense, it cost me nothing! :mrgreen: All set to watch this on IMAX, Saturday, June 1st! Thurs & Friday are too busy for me. :(
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Sat May 11, 2019 8:13 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:

disagree

Agree with your disagree. Shin Godzilla is one of the top 5 worse Godzilla movies in my book.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gargantuan Gargantua » Mon May 13, 2019 10:49 am

Some people are a little upset that Aladdin is kicking Godzilla out of the "premium" IMax/RPX screens.

I'm not sure what people expected. Disney = money. Theater managers gotta eat too.

I have to drive out of state to see it in IMax. Meh. Godzilla is the only thing that will make me do that.
Gargantuan Gargantua
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Tue May 14, 2019 12:44 am

Knowing some of the demands Disney has made to theaters in order to show certain movies, I would not be surprised if Disney told theater owners that they needed to put the live action Aladdin on at least part of their IMAX (or biggest screens) if they wanted show the movie at all.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue May 14, 2019 12:52 am

The Shadow wrote:Knowing some of the demands Disney has made to theaters in order to show certain movies, I would not be surprised if Disney told theater owners that they needed to put the live action Aladdin on at least part of their IMAX (or biggest screens) if they wanted show the movie at all.

That is a very real consequence of Disney owning so much of the box office market share and wielding so much influence over the theatrical moviegoing industry, especially after Disney swallowed up Fox.

O.Supreme wrote:Just curious (because I haven't been to the theater yet)....Did anyone get a Godzilla KOTM trailer with Endgame? - Not that it translates directly, but that still is a lot of people's potential interest gained (or not).... but still its at least out there.

I still have not seen any Godzilla: King of the Monsters trailers on the big screen, not with Avengers: Endgame or even with WB and Legendary's own Pokemon: Detective Pikachu. I guess it would have been too intense for little kids at a PG-rated movie. Most of the films I see are at a small, independently owned theater, not at any big chain theaters, so that might make a difference.

gfan1984 wrote:
mr.negativity wrote:THR 5/9/2019:

I just saw...however many box office junkies are jumping the gun and saying it doesn't look like good numbers. Also they stated that two other releases are coming as well, Rocket Man, and Ma. So there's Godzilla's direct competition...I can't tell if that's bad or good.

Rocketman isn't direct competition for Godzilla: King of the Monsters. That's old-fashioned counterprogramming. You've got a big-budget, SPFX-filled, PG-13 action-adventure with giant monsters and epic disasters which is aiming for families and general audiences. For adult moviegoers who aren't interested in Godzilla, you've got an R-rated musical biopic about Elton John.

Although the horror-thriller Ma is closer to more direct competition for G:KotM's creature/disaster thrills, I don't think Ma is going to be big enough beyond the horror crowd to siphon general audience interest away from Godzilla 2. Ma is a low-budget Blumhouse flick anyway so It doesn't need to break big to be profitable. All three of the movies opening on May 31 can co-exist successfully.

I'm sure that KotM's domestic opening weekend will be branded a disappointment for failing to match the first Godzilla's $93 million launch. That can't be the benchmark for success, though. Godzilla had been tracking to open around $70m and then audiences turned out in surprisingly greater numbers. There was pent-up demand to see a modern rendition of Godzilla on the big screen coupled with strong fan interest, with a huge 10% of that $93m opening weekend coming from Thursday night previews like it was a fan-hyped franchise sequel. General audience responses to the 2014 reboot were very mixed, with the consensus being that Godzilla was terrific but there wasn't nearly enough of him in the movie. Audiences wanted Godzilla and most of the film didn't deliver Godzilla, which led to a harsh -66.8% second-weekend drop and a very frontloaded $200.6m domestic total.

There are two things working against KotM's prospects of matching that $93m-level of opening weekend interest. For one, audiences who felt bored or let down by G'14 could easily be inclined to just not give the next Godzilla movie a shot. Additionally, I worry that WB & Legendary might be banking a little too hard on the appeal of Ghidorah, Mothra and Rodan. The fandom's (and the thus the online nerd media's) loudest qualm with G'14 was the human drama and all of the times that the movie cut away from the action to the drama. WB & Legendary seem to be betting on the idea that audiences want more monster action in general. They've got TV spots naming the other three Toho kaiju and proclaiming how many more Titans are out there.

That wasn't what most audiences were taken aback by with G'14, though. It wasn't that general moviegoers wanted more monsters and more monster action but that they wanted more of Godzilla himself. Most viewers loved Godzilla in the 2014 film and wanted more of Godzilla, not more of the MUTOs or other monsters. Now the 2019 film is being sold as much on the presence of Ghidorah, Mothra and Rodan as Godzilla himself. I'd like to think that everyone can appreciate classic Toho kaiju more than modern originals, and I'd like to think that everyone can get as excited about Mothra, Rodan or Ghidorah as they can Godzilla, but I know that's not the case. It isn't surprising that the sequel being sold on multiple classic monsters isn't tracking for as much consumer interest as the prospect of just seeing Godzilla in an epic reboot.

Pacific Rim: Uprising was another recent example of a big-budget monster movie sequel that offered more of what most audiences weren't really interested in the first time. If G:KotM's opening weekend were to match the -25% drop from Pacific Rim ($37m) to Uprising ($28m), that would mean a $70m domestic launch for Godzilla 2 and that's a reasonable best-case goal. It certainly would be disappointing if G:KotM failed to match the $61m opening of Kong: Skull Island and I think that would indicate that audiences really were turned off by G'14. The only thing I'm sure of after G'14 opened to $93m is that Godzilla's level of mass appeal can be surprising.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Tue May 14, 2019 5:14 pm

Best non-spoiler review that I've seen so far LOL...

Robert Meyer Burnett:
"#GodzillaKingOfTheMonsters felt like my eight year old inner child snorted a Tony Montana-sized mountain of cocaine. I loved it 3000."
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Legendary's MonsterVerse